Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Are you on a private WISP setup?

Just asking as you have blocked out the ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Villain wrote: »
    Made some improvments, not bad for wireless over 20km with two hops
    345547.png

Why have you blanked the ISP name?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep private WISP setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yep private WISP setup

Surely piggy backing someone else's network is in breach of the terms and conditions signed by the person who's name is on the bill.

jca wrote: »
    Surely piggy backing someone else's network is in breach of the terms and conditions signed by the person who's name is on the bill.

That is not the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

4314062647.png

Brand new Eircom connection in the town of Patrickswell, co. Limerick. The house had a very old phone line that was not used for a number of years, so the helpful Eircom engineer actually replaced the wire from the pole to the house.

No fibre in Patrickswell yet, but I think NGB is here.

It was a wee bit slower on the default server, I changed to the Dublin one because it's run by Eircom.

EDIT: default server, same connection:

4314074415.png

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I have an issue with Eircom fibre where the connection just drops for 30 or 40 seconds. It could happen up to 3 or 4 times an hour some days. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

[IMG][/img]4316561730.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

345547.png

Close to what I had back in 2010. :p

red_bairn wrote: »
    Close to what I had back in 2010. :p
    Over 5ghz Wireless to middle of nowhere? fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

345547.png

Nice! Have a brother who cant get decent broadband where he is located, he'd love something like that, any way you can share the secret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

4370171162.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Latest speeds now it's been in a while, the router has settled down, and the (25 year old) line has been checked out as well, and it's working better than I was expecting, given the distance to the cabinet, it's close on 500 Mtrs allowing for the twists and turns, we are the last on the line on our estate, so I wasn't too optimistic about the likely results, so this has come as a bonus.

At last, it's possible to do some serious work on these things.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4394122824][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/4394122824.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]4394122824.png

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Jaysus, I'd love some speeds like that. 8MB max here in the sticks. Aw well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

4398579067.png

Apparently E-Fibre is supposed to be in my area by the end of May (today) but Eircom have been building here for the last 2/3 weeks and it looks like they aren't even finished half-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

4398579067.png

Apparently E-Fibre is supposed to be in my area by the end of May (today) but Eircom have been building here for the last 2/3 weeks and it looks like they aren't even finished half-way.

Wouldn't bet on even been able to get it my exchange went live last week , eircom says we still can't get it bit of a joke really ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Upgraded to UPC recently & very happy with these speeds

4464038998.png

pingtest is:
    125848406.png

No idea why 1 is Dublin & other is Galway tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Banagher, Co.Offaly - It's a complete joke!

4464062593.png125848985.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    I have an issue with Eircom fibre where the connection just drops for 30 or 40 seconds. It could happen up to 3 or 4 times an hour some days. Anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

No idea, but I have a similar thing on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hoggy102

My nearest Internet exchange is Killeagh and, according to Eircom Wholesale, is going live July 8th. How much of the green area shown will get a benefit in speeds or will there only be 1 exchange. I live 5km from village.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Banagher, Co.Offaly - It's a complete joke!

4464062593.png125848985.png

Holey crap! Dialup speeds Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

degsie wrote: »
    Holey crap! Dialup speeds Batman.

No **** haha! It's ridiculous. Eircom keep adding more customers to their lines (Sky & Vodafone included) and don't bother upgrading the lines. Judging by the map, we are 'scheduled' to have fibre this month. Whether it happens or not is another thing :rolleyes: If they don't do something, I won't have anything left :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

jca wrote: »

Oh cop on would ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

got a e-fibre today, finally!!! What a surprise it is only VDSL and not VDSL2! :(

xzBCGbu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Bazideluxe wrote: »
    got a e-fibre today, finally!!! What a surprise it is only VDSL and not VDSL2! :(

xzBCGbu.png

They don't do vdsl, it'sall vdsl2.

If your not happy cancel it and go back to adsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

They don't do vdsl, it'sall vdsl2.

So are they using VDSL2 without vectoring??

Because the maximum speed can be got from my exchange is 70Mbit, not 100Mbit.

From router manual:
    The eircom F2000 comes with Broadcom's latest chipset solution with the vectoring
    function that effectively solves the VDSL2 crosstalk issue. The vectoring function
    keeps the transmission rate at 100 Mbit/s when the user is within a range of 300 meters.
    Without vectoring, the transmission rate decreases to 70 Mbit/s

And I live about 120 meters from exchange (cable length)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Problem with great threads like this: nobody bloods reads them.

Vectoring is only enabled on a very small number of the eVDSL exchanges. Like with the cabs they'll come back to it once the guts of the deployment is done I'm guessing.

Eircom have never deployed VDSL1(though the Huawei MSANs probably could fall back to it if you connected a VDSL1 only modem).

AT&T VDSL in the USA .

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/1297933822.png

Safari keeps crashing if I try insert the image into the post so I had to post the link instead .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

4484612477.png

With permanet,co wexford, on wireless laptop, what does it mean speed wish ?
    haven't a clue.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    4484612477.png

With permanet,co wexford, on wireless laptop, what does it mean speed wish ?
    haven't a clue.

What package are you on ? It's not bad if your not a heavy internet user .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jay93 wrote: »
    What package are you on ? It's not bad if your not a heavy internet user .

Suppose to be there higher internet package at €50 a month.
    So the speeds are not bad ?

Advertisement