Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

So after 3 hours of polishing, it came out quite well. I have to wax the car tomorrow along with going at the plastic trimmings, tyres, windows and interior. I took off the number plates after I polished and was about to put on the new ones but realised I left the double-sided tape at work :o will report back tomorrow.

vw golf pic

Finished. Plastic trimmings were a c*nt to clean, I gave in after a while. Quiet happy with it overall, I dont want to bring it out on the dirty roads!

IMG_0126_zpshrhb6smp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Finished. Plastic trimmings were a c*nt to clean, I gave in after a while. Quiet happy with it overall, I dont want to bring it out on the dirty roads!

Car looks great. What wax did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Car looks great. What wax did you use?

Rain Dance "Premium Carnauba Spray Wax"

Picked it up in my local motor factors, worked great on the Corolla. Its nothing too fancy but its really easy to apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Rain Dance "Premium Carnauba Spray Wax"

Picked it up in my local motor factors, worked great on the Corolla. Its nothing too fancy but its really easy to apply!

It looks very good on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Looks great. You are lucky to have somewhere indoors to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Graham 1324

Snow foam washed,
    Compound,
    Rewashed,
    Super resin,
    Carnauba waxed
    Tyres dressed, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Tidied up the paint as best I could on the project, finished the 3 stage now.

Humble beginnings:

20151110_164434_zps2hwal1bu.jpg

As she sits now:

20151126_232106_zpscr3hbqya.jpg

20151126_232122_zpsnbgwvw2i.jpg

20151126_232139_zpsvrqxgtky.jpg

20151126_232149_zps1pvndvmv.jpg

20151126_232202_zpsggqcpkfm.jpg

20151126_232348_zpsfm7qnzqu.jpg

20151126_232401_zpso9eq2z6l.jpg

Some scratches I just can't get out without wetsanding like you see on the bonnet but I'll live :pac:

Next on the list while I wait for my diagnostic equipment to arrive to do the mechanicals is restore the headlights, remove the bumper and do a thorough interior valet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Today I focused on the interior only. Wasn't bad to start with. Seats need a run on a wet vac though, the rest is looking ok. Interior is holding up well for a near 8 year old car. Sorry for the poor quality snaps.

2ynf8lv.png

2i0x2fm.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Really need to give mine a vacuum and I'm looking to get some mudguards as it'll help keeping the lower parts of the car cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

@NoccyMondy, if you want to 95% hide that cable running from the glovebox, you can run it out the bottom of the glovebox, and tuck it up underneath the plastic trim along the transmission tunnel, and up through the bottom of the storage bin in the armrest (there's a hole there already). Use a black cable and you'll never notice where it's coming out of the glovebox.

• Advertisement

Logicost31 wrote:
    @NoccyMondy, if you want to 95% hide that cable running from the glovebox, you can run it out the bottom of the glovebox, and tuck it up underneath the plastic trim along the transmission tunnel, and up through the bottom of the storage bin in the armrest (there's a hole there already). Use a black cable and you'll never notice where it's coming out of the glovebox.

Cheers, I'll try that. Need a new cable anyway. Opening and closing the glovebox damages the head of the cable.

Detailed my neighbours Range Rover Sport in preparation for his wedding on Friday, was a bit of a rush job as I had to work at 3 but happy with the results :)

Exterior:
    -Snow Foamed
    -Alloys cleaned, De-Tarred and De-Ironed
    -Tyres Cleaned and Dressed
    -2BM Wash and Rinse
    -Bodywork De-Tarring, De-Ironed and Rinsed
    -Claybarred
    -Machine Polish with Menzerna 3800
    -Sealed with Fusso
    -Windows Polished

Interior:
    -Fully hoovered
    -Mats power hosed and dressed with 50.Cal
    -Dash cleaned and dressed with 50.Cal
    -Leather cleaned with AG Leather Cleaner
    -Stripper Scented
    -Windows Polished

Before:

20151202_093746_zpsvbtpzohc.jpg

20151202_113748_zpsy2zi8kbw.jpg

20151202_123214_zpsmjudl9ex.jpg

20151202_125040_zpsxexecf2y.jpg

Leather being cleaned:

20151202_122958_zpstoh363fs.jpg

After:

20151202_135952_zpsjwu6xo7p.jpg

20151202_135958_zpskmhwrtzz.jpg

20151202_122102_zpsyigwggkj.jpg

20151202_125630_zps9ltwdrrm.jpg

20151202_142121_zpsqsinr7jy.jpg

20151202_142150_zpsj6r4hhnl.jpg

20151202_142134_zpserbq0swm.jpg

20151202_141915_zpsxdrp4ri6.jpg

Very happy with that for about 5 hours work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Looks great!!!! Pedal rubbers really need another scrub though to make the interior perfect :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Looks great!!!! Pedal rubbers really need another scrub though to make the interior perfect :)

I gave them a skip due to time constraints, it was either spend some more time on the interior or polish/seal the body, they weren't the worst though to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You could have done them instead of taking 4 million photos :P

You could have done them instead of taking 4 million photos :P

Ssssshh, see, now I'm going to have to do them tomorrow :pac: stupid OCD.

Ssssshh, see, now I'm going to have to do them tomorrow :pac: stupid OCD.

OCD my hoop.....laziness more like :pac:

OCD my hoop.....laziness more like :pac:

Hey now, I was asked to do this job at quarter to twelve last night and ended up late for work because of it, leave me alone :pac:

206 done yesterday, was in a right state from being laid up and covered in makeup!

Exterior:
    -Snow Foamed
    -Wheels and Tyres Cleaned, De-Tarred, De-Ironed and dressed
    -2BM Wash
    -De-Tarred, De-Ironed
    -2BM Wash
    -Door Jambs Cleaned
    -Quick machine polish with SRP
    -Windows Polished
    -Sealed with Fusso

Interior
    -Hoovered
    -Dash, door trims and center console cleaned with APC, dressed with 50.Cal
    -Windows Polished
    -Stripper Scented

Before:

20151207_112546_zpsi91wkhur.jpg

20151207_112554_zpsa3jjwoow.jpg

20151207_112533_zpsocuwbz8o.jpg

20151207_113157_zpsff4yifgg.jpg

20151207_113125_zps9nqcczan.jpg

20151207_151036_zpsoi7y3szt.jpg

After:

20151207_160159_zpsrj50qey3.jpg

20151207_160154_zpsp3sadwxq.jpg

20151207_160209_zps8jwbnwaj.jpg

20151207_160216_zps01drjaiw.jpg

20151207_151449_zps6d1oepfv.jpg

20151207_150417_zpsxqt5xrqn.jpg

20151207_150406_zpsepn1ybdj.jpg

20151207_150411_zpsvrjrawep.jpg

20151207_150454_zpsbnfycv2x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nice turn around! :)
    Probably doubled the value, in a persons mind, if it were viewed pre and post work!

• Advertisement

Good job Foxhole - the steering wheel is wasting away!

They are made of butter - brother had a MKIV Golf, and the steering wheel was the same!

Either make them out of proper leather, or a decent hard wearing plastic if they're going the savings route! Hate the feel of a steering wheel of that poor quality!

Is it not often down to hand cream that can eat into plastic and coverings?

Possibly accelerated - but my brother wouldnt be the hand cream type! Thats for sure!

Yeah I think that steering wheel is plastic, think :pac:, only 84k KM's on the car believe it or not! First job where gloves were actually required :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Wow great job Foxhole. The exterior looks awesome, like a brand new car.

Interior still looks terrible, though you probably did what you could - owner obviously hasn't looked after it at all.

Wow great job Foxhole. The exterior looks awesome, like a brand new car.

Interior still looks terrible, though you probably did what you could - owner obviously hasn't looked after it at all.

Yeah the interior needs a serious wet vac but I haven't got one at the moment, plan on picking up one very soon. Typical of women's cars I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

When I see a car for sale and it says "lady owner", all I think of is make up on the interior. Nice job Foxhole!

vintagevrs wrote: »
    When I see a car for sale and it says "lady owner", all I think of is make up on the interior. Nice job Foxhole!

Some women do like to take care of their cars but it's in the small minority, so small that I've never come across one. Every car I've seen owned by a woman has been filthy. Inside and outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Mc Love wrote: »
    Some women do like to take care of their cars but it's in the small minority, so small that I've never come across one. Every car I've seen owned by a woman has been filthy. Inside and outside.

That small minority are probably the wives/partners of we folk that frequent this forum. I know my wife's car is spotless inside and out but she wouldn't know the difference between clay and wax.

Sorry for the spam :pac: Civic done yesterday, paint was like sandpaper before the claying!

Exterior:
    -Snow Foamed
    -Wheels and Tyres Cleaned, De-Tarred, De-Ironed and dressed
    -2BM Wash
    -De-Tarred, De-Ironed
    -Clay Barred
    -Door Jambs Cleaned
    -Machine Polished with Menzerna Heavy Cut 400 for the Scratches
    -Machine Polished fully with Menzerna SFP 3800
    -Windows Polished
    -Sealed with Fusso

Interior
    -Hoovered
    -Dash, door trims and center console cleaned with APC, dressed with 50.Cal
    -Windows Polished
    -Stripper Scented

Before:

20151209_120039_zps5zkqogjv.jpg

20151209_120057_zpstqhqwoar.jpg

20151209_120106_zpslnczqvsm.jpg

20151209_120115_zps4vb4j8ku.jpg

Scratches;

Before/After:

20151209_143804_zpsdfi3ywno.jpg

20151209_144427_zpsl18jpc5m.jpg

20151209_145453_zps6ga35kaq.jpg

20151209_172159_zpsnajfnyh7.jpg

Final Product:

20151209_172230_zpsnblllauy.jpg

20151209_172315_zps2etkubfb.jpg

20151209_172237_zpso7an1y1e.jpg

20151209_172300_zps7hhumlcx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Serious transformation there, excellent work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

-Quick machine polish with SRP

I meant task this the other day when I saw it. How does machine polishing go with SRP? I was thinking of asking Santa for DAS 6 Pro but I have a heap of SRP in the shed. It would be great to be able to use it up but I didn't think it was suitable for machine polishing.

Senecio wrote: »
    I meant task this the other day when I saw it. How does machine polishing go with SRP? I was thinking of asking Santa for DAS 6 Pro but I have a heap of SRP in the shed. It would be great to be able to use it up but I didn't think it was suitable for machine polishing.

It's fine on it really, I wasn't using the machine with SRP for anything much more than being able to do it a bit faster and handier than by hand, it's a thing of the past :P

SRP on its own has relatively no cutting ability. It's not a polish in the true sense. It has more filling ability than polishing. So applied by hand it won't do a whole lot.

However applying by machine you introduce mechanical cut from the pad. As proven it will do an enhancement job for you, but if you are wanting to do correction work, you'd be better off with dedicated machine polishes, and save the SRP for the quick jobs people will no doubt ask you to do when they see your car done! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Quick and nasty one done this morning. It was basically a wash (not a bucket in site), spray on of Hydro2 and wash it back off. It will have to do until the weather improves a bit.

IMG_20151212_121216-01_zps9v6hoxes.jpeg

The car had fusso topped with reload on it and while it wasn't completely gone it was nearly there. The Hydro2 was fool (me) proof to use. The courier damaged the bottle and it had leaked a good bit but I still have over half a bottle left so you actually use relatively little. Decent beading for a small amount of product.

IMG_20151212_121224_zpsieo97jku.jpg
    IMG_20151212_121234_zpsu4xmib1j.jpg

Did about 100km since and just parked it up, seems to have repelled all but the heaviest road grit since.

IMG_20151212_132934-01_zpsgm88p9ac.jpeg

I wanted this as a quick and easy stop gap given the weather and time constraints on me at the moment. Certainly fills that brief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd heard some great things about Autoglym's HD wax lately so I splashed out on a tub over the weekend and gave it a try today. I am massively impressed. The car already had a ceramic sealant on it since new but I think the wax gives it a brilliant gloss! It's giving some nice beading too after it rained since...

0b163b7f2172db84c243153de3f54eba.jpg
    1de3f363597bfec869c75da997265e29.jpg

Looks great Joe! Beware thought that the wax will reduce the immediate effectiveness of the ceramic sealant that was applied as it builds up in the molecular structure of the sealant. Curran might add some technical info on the subject.

Looks great Joe! Beware thought that the wax will reduce the immediate effectiveness of the ceramic sealant that was applied as it builds up in the molecular structure of the sealant. Curran might add some technical info on the subject.

Yeah I was aware of that and I did ask about it before... But tbh I've become a little bit sceptical about the alleged longevity/durability of the sealant, and that's not a slight on the man who did the job, who is a total pro imo!

But I thought my efforts today made a very noticeable difference and the rain water seems to be beading much better. We'll see what it's like after a few days / weeks though...

Tbh if I was doing it all over again with a new car I probably wouldn't bother with the ceramic sealant. For the significant expense involved, i am beginning to think it would be much better value and wiser to wait until the car is a few years old when it needs a little bit of tlc by a pro with machine polishers - and not a brand new car. I think the expense of going the pro route would be more worthwhile then.

The whole point of a ceramic sealant is to keep the paint in top notch condition therefore negating the cost of having to get it detailed and ceramic sealed down the line :)

• Advertisement

The whole point of a ceramic sealant is to keep the paint in top notch condition therefore negating the cost of having to get it detailed and ceramic sealed down the line :)

Yeah there's that too ;)
    I can't see how adding a layer of wax over the sealant can do any harm anyway. Sure, it might reduce its water / dirt repealing ability for a while but the trade off is that the wax gives it a deeper gloss. And it seems to be pretty effective at repelling water in itself! Isn't it common enough practice to apply wax after sealant?

There's also a bit more satisfaction in doing the job yourself too ;)

The type of sealant you're thinking of would be the likes of CG Jetseal or Blacklight. Ceramic coatings are different.

It certainly won't do any harm applying the wax and the ceramic coating is still there but you might have to lightly clay the car or give it an IPA rub-down in order to restore the coating. It's also possible to get a product that boosts the coating's ability again.

I'm not saying anything against what you've done. It's your car (and a fooken deadly car at that) afterall. I'm just telling you the experience I had with applying wax over Gtechnic C1 and EXO :)

The durability of the ceramic coating you speak of, will be that of what the pro recommended. Often the issue is that the maintenance products aren't used to keep the ceramic coating in its optimum condition. The use of traditional shampoos, for example, are not suited to the molecular structure of the ceramic coating; they clog the links in the structure and thus the coating seems like its degrading. In reality, its not, but rather than the coating being the surface, the shampoo has clogged the coating and it now has become the surface...thus reducing beading, dirt repelling ability, and perhaps even appearance.

Applying the wax on top of the coating, is no harm to the coating. It is still there, and still doing the job it should be, but now the AG HD Wax is your new top layer. Thus returning the beading and shine.
    So if you look at it this way...and Im not saying that this is what happened in your case, just an example of what might have happened...
    - Ceramic coating applied; car looks great
    - Over time, using the wrong shampoo clogs the links; car doesn't look so good, the beading is reducing, doesn't repel dirt as well
    - Applied wax, covers coating and clogged links; get the benefit of the wax; appearance enhanced, beading returns, dirt repelling returns
    - Over time; the wax starts to deteriorate and previous issues return, you can apply wax again to re-enhance

As said the ceramic coating is still there, but just not being allowed to perform in the way it should. There should be products available to return the coating to its best. If for example your coating was CarPro CQUK, then Reset would be the right shampoo to use with it. Reload is there gloss boosting / finish enhancing product. Eraser would be their wipedown/inspection product, but diluted, it would help clean out the coating links if Reset hadnt been used to wash it previously.

In terms of applying wax over a sealant. Yes, it is often done. Its not necessary. Some people like knowing they have something more durable applied under a wax, so when the wax deteriorates, it's still protected. Sealants tend to give a glassy appearance versus that deep wet look that waxes give, and people sometimes apply both for this reason. However sealants in this case are different to the ceramic coating you have applied.

As ever, when choosing a Last Stage Protection / Product, there are many different factors that need to be considered, and with most, there is a trade off - perhaps you are feeling a bit underwhelmed by the appearance; missing that deep glossy, wet look, that a car with that colour should look like?
    Unfortunately, the trade off for high durability, scratch resistance, hydrophobic (dirt repellency), ease of washing; is in your case, the glass appearance, and had you applied it yourself, not as easy to apply as traditional waxes and sealants, more preparation work required.

Im not sure what product you have applied, at a guess Polish Angel (and Im not familiar with their range), if it was detailed by who I think it may have been detailed by...either way, it would be best to speak to whoever did the work, on how to return the coating....and sure there's no need to do that until the AG HD Wax is show signs of needing to be re-applied.

Thanks very much for that detailed excellent explanation Curran!

To clarify a few points:
    - the car has been maintained meticulously since the ceramic coating was applied. I have all the right gear and I spend far too much time at it lol. I use a PH neutral shampoo, I hand wash using mitts and 2 buckets, etc... i.e. all the stuff you guys recommend doing.
    - Apart from occasional tar remover and Iron X, I've never used anything else on it until now (bar normal washing)
    - I had a couple of white cars before this and I am finding the dark metallic much harder work. Paranoia over a few minor marks/swirls that were probably there on the white too, but I just couldn't see them!
    - I was very happy with the ceramic coating but when I tried the HD wax on one panel yesterday I could see an immediate difference in the depth of gloss. So my thinking was, what harm can it do, it's just another layer of "protection" and I have no doubt that the hand-applied HD wax will wash away in a matter of weeks/months anyway and the ceramic coating will still be there...
    - I do think that the ceramic coating helps prevent minor marks / swirls / scratches in the longer term... As I said, I am very careful with washing it and thankfully the paint is in excellent condition. All I was trying to achieve with the wax was to give it another layer, a glossier "wet" look and I think I achieved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Great day today for washing. Managed to get a foam,2BM wash and a coat of collinite in. Though a de tar is in order too but time didn't permit. Unfortunately the hydro2 is on its last legs hence the collinite. No photos as the before and afters would look very similar ( the joys of being able to wash the car twice a week!!).

Not detailing by any stretch of the imagination, but gave the neighbours almera some tlc this evening. Forgot to take some before pics but it was fairly dirty. Vacuumed the inside, wiped the plastics, and gave the outside a 2BM wash. The leather still is holding well for a near 11 year old car, the son of a gun really brought it up. Seats are still fairly stained though. I quite like the interior of this higher spec almera, has something about it. Outside is rough in places, notably the drivers side rear quarter panel, and a nasty dent along the passenger door (there before buying it)

Came up fairly well mind. Front alloys have their fair share of brake dust baked on. Paintwork is holding up extremely well for a car that hasn't seen a polish or any treatment for a few years. It is also a daily occurrence for loads of briars etc to scrape along the side of the car (driven too close to the ditch). I often shiver with the sound of the scraping if I'm in the car!

It's probably the only car that I have ever come across whereby the front fogs would actually blind you, and should only be used when absolutely necessary. (like for this obligatory pic :D)

dr4g1f.png

2609vud.png

2ecn2mh.png

ig9e2u.png

10mn8k1.png

13zx1ti.png

2m6pcb9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A set of mud flaps would really help keep most of the dirt of the sides and rear.

Hal1 wrote: »
    A set of mud flaps would really help keep most of the dirt of the sides and rear.

Not a fear of that happening. I'm currently in a full on feud with the mean miser to invest in a new set of badly needed wipers! If I succeed with that I'll be more than happy.

Many thanks again to @JAMES VTI S (MX Valeting) for his stellar work on enhancing the paintwork on the Mondeo

10580923_10153847362233384_3164542824265699279_o.jpg

Mc Love wrote:
    ) for his stellar work on enhancing the paintwork on the Mondeo

Mines starting to look sorry for itself, started to loose that depth in the paintwork. Havent done anything to it, bar a wash, since the summer. Must try and do something over the xmas if the rain would ever frig off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement