Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Top Ten (Worst) Games Ever!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

euro racer on the PS1. just no

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Daley Thompson game came out later in 86 or 88 on the C64, CPC and Speccy.

Nope, I had it back in 84,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daley_Thompson's_Decathlon

It was the killer of many joysticks because of all the waggling.
    The Quickshot 2 was a huge hit in those days, cheap and slightly cool looking (by 80's standards) all the kids had them,
    quickshot_2.jpg

It used crappy contacts though and Daley Thompsons killed most of them, I used to fix them!

I had a far better Competition Pro stick, with a Kempston interface, and this thing is still on the go, the recent C64 in a stick was a replica of one.
    They had microswitched contacts and a steel shaft (wa hey!) much more robust.
    competition_pro_box_front.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a newer version of the quickshot myself, although I was late to the game only getting my C64 at christmas 1990, maybe 1991. I was only 7 or 8 then. I always wanted that bug joystick, they seemed really comfortable iirc.

sinclairzx3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Speaking of ****, I remember my cousin had a Batman joystick for the Speccy. Wtf was that about? Most uncomfortable thing I've ever used. Batman is not ergonomically shaped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

o1s1n wrote: »
    Speaking of ****, I remember my cousin had a Batman joystick for the Speccy. Wtf was that about? Most uncomfortable thing I've ever used. Batman is not ergonomically shaped!

I had one of them, for the NES. Looked it up a while ago and they were made by Cheetah as far as I can tell. They made a Bart Simpson one as well.

Anyway I remember getting it when I was 5 or 6, and noticed that the controls were flipped, i.e. you move the joystick left and mario runs right etc. I only remembered this a few years ago and realised I was holding the stick so that Batman was looking at me, never occurred to me that turning him round would fix the problem! :p

EDIT: here it is:

http://tim-burton.webs.com/goodiesjeuxvideo.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

I have such a hard time remembering the games of older consoles in order to distinctly remember the good ones let alone the bad ones but here goes anyway.

FIFA 64 : From the days when Nintendo went on the 64 being appended to titles which never entirely let up mind you. Anyway an ugly messy blocky travesty of a game which I must admit I played a lot at the time because I really didn't know any better. It took a rental of ISS 64 to show me the error of my ways but since then I have been a Konami convert.

Far Cry 2: Much more recent but it has to be included. Definately one of the worst follow ups ever. Indentikit enemies? Check. Repetitive? CHECK. Beautiful but yet oddly boring looking? Check. Enemies that re-spawn constantly? Check. It's like the developers said "Let's take what made the first game great and get rid of it" Can not believe anyone liked that game.

Far Cry Vengeance (Wii) : More Far Cry milking only the milk is sour and green!
    A garbled broken game and not helped by the fact that the Wii is just not powerful enough to render the Far Cry island world in all it's glory. It has doors that may or may not open depending on a broken script meaning you may or may not be able to finish the game. Not that you would want to.

WWE Raw (Xbox): I really enjoyed the THQ wrestling games on the N64 so how could they mess up on the Xbox? I mean it's a more powerful console so that means better graphics and more options. Wrong. Horrible clunky game. No fluidity whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

briany wrote: »
    It has doors that may or may not open depending on a broken script meaning you may or may not be able to finish the game.

Is that true?? :eek: Christ almighty if it is its shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

1. The Sims
    2. Morrowind Oblivion
    3. Diablo
    4. Black and White
    5. Baldurs Gate Throne of Bhaal
    6. Back to the Future 3 (megadrive)
    7. Ghostbusters (nes)
    9. Spore
    10. Sega touring car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

Unfortunately the nonsense also included the controller. And the console itself. Awful looking things. Bad design all round.

surprised at this comment. the n64 console was innovative and has shaped the design off todays controllers. it was one of the first controllers to use analog and the rumble feature. as for the console itself, i was a ps1 man personally, but i didnt see anything wrong with the design of the n64

as for the worst games i have ever played, its a toughie. from recent memory scarface on the psp was a shocking game. i can recall playing lone soldier on the ps1 at my mates house and it was crap. im sure ive played alot of crap games through the years but i just cant think of them now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't like Far Cry 2 the first time around, but returning to it 6 months later it was a different story.
    The respawning enemy checkpoints are about the only irritating thing about the game, it looks gorgeous, the physics are solid, the story is good, it lets you take your time and make your own adventures or follow the slow burning main story.
    The vehicles are good, perfect given the setting, and what a setting, Africa has never been rendered so well.
    So, don't just take cars, take the bus to save time, or try to get around the gangs by taking a boat down one of the many rivers.
    I was very impressed with it second time around, not expecting the wonder game promised by the early previews but very entertained by the grown up and mature gaming experience it provided.
    It really isn't a FarCry title though and this may have mislead many folk, a new name would have perhaps been better.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

surprised at this comment. the n64 console was innovative and has shaped the design off todays controllers.

Thankfully no, it hasn't shaped the design of todays controllers. Controllers now have two handles and a bit in the middle that holds them together. Pretty much like all controllers ever have. They've just gradually become more ergonomic.

The n64 on the other hand has three handles. Three. Do I have three hands? I do not. And to make matters worse, when you hold the main handle (The middle one) your left hand is lower than your right one. It's a crap design and should never have been released.
    it was one of the first controllers to use analog and the rumble feature.

The rumble pad was a giant lump that slotted into the bottom of the controller. And it took batteries. Wtf? Batteries for a few vibrations? No thanks!

The analog stick is too high, the top isn't comfortable and it slips off your thumb as it's so small. The thing it sits in is also non circular and as I've said before, just isn't right. They wear out really quickly too and most of them now feel like you're mixing cement with a spanner.

The Sega Saturn 3d controller came out the same year and the analog is much more comfortable to use. (And still works perfectly to this day)

/Edit - I also forgot how hard they were to store! Ahh, no room, no room!
    as for the console itself, i was a ps1 man personally, but i didnt see anything wrong with the design of the n64

Aesthetically, it's totally non descript. I think they made the controller shape extra wacky to compesate for this.

As for games..there are some great ones alright. Just not enough. you could have a collection of 10-20 and pretty much own everything worth playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The one thing I hate about the N64 is how fragile the controllers are. I have 3 controllers and only one of them is useable and it's still a bit wonky. The analogue sticks go so easily and don't register that you are pushing them to their limit.

Took a while for me to get into Farcry 2 and I think it takes way too much flak for not being like the original (which isn't as good as people remember, it died on it's ass when the mutants appeared). It's actually a really original game that's a lot of fun and at least tried something different from the genre norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The n64 controller having three handles never bothered me, I can't think of a situation where I needed to use all three parts when playing. Just meant that it was easy to use either the d-pad or the stick if needed. The position of the stick with respect to the face buttons seemed fine.

I mean look at the xbox 360 pad. The d-pad is located in a really inconvenient location, and is not very accurate on the ones I have, making Symphony of the Night a pain to play (50% of the time I duck, Alucard also turns left, on more than one controller).

The analog position on the playstation pads doesn't feel optimal either, similar to the d-pad on the 360

I really like the N64 controller, and seeing as I do indeed have three hands it's perfect for me.
    I constantly feel marginalised by controllers with a two handed setup as my third hand gets bored and wanders off to find trouble, especially when playing COD:MW2 or Halo, this has never happened when playing Super Mario 64 or Pilotwings 64 thanks to the three handed approach pioneered by Ninty.

Thanks Nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

A few people mentioned skitchin, man I loved that game back in the day. Don't currently have it so not sure how it would hold up today. Also mentioned was Sonic Spinball, that game was and is still great,

My personal 10 worst list is as follows.

in no order

Rise of the robots (any format) (Also in my top 10 favourite, as I love cheesy sh***)

Action 52 (NES MD) Most glitch ridden crap fest ever

White men can't jump (Jaguar) They also can't make basketball / street sims with usable camera angles or good graphics.

E.T. (You don't need more info)

Catfight (PC 199? 5 6) I am all for a game with a bit of titalation (sp?), but this is just OTT sexist junk.

Jumpman (Apple C64) Well we have this man and he jumps and... oh wait that's it.

Wild Woody (Sega CD) Well we have this pencil and he (she it?) jumps and... repeat joke. Well it can throw dynamite as well.

Princess tomato in salad kingdom (nes) I have no witty remarks for this one. The title alone should tell you all you need to know.

Cacoma Knight in Bizyland (Snes I think or was it nes) Played Qix? Well this is that only not good.

Chef's love shack (ps1) words can not describe this crapola.

justbrian wrote: »
    Princess tomato in salad kingdom (nes) I have no witty remarks for this one. The title alone should tell you all you need to know.

Ah no, leave Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom alone. Sure it has a crap name and some woeful box art but it's actaully a fantastic text adventure with loads of charm and actually quite humourous. I'm serious here, it's actually one of my favourite NES games ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah no, leave Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom alone. Sure it has a crap name and some woeful box art but it's actaully a fantastic text adventure with loads of charm and actually quite humourous. I'm serious here, it's actually one of my favourite NES games ever.
    Hmmm I don't get it's appeal.

It's an adventure game like Monkey Island or Sam and Max but instead of a mouse you have a menu system. If you aren;t into those types of adventure games then you won't get it's appeal. It's more story than game with some puzzles. It takes a while to get into if you haven't playd one before since the genre is pratically dead. It's regarded as an overlooked classic these days but still gets bad rep because of the weird name and artwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

America's 10 Most Wanted
    Brutal: Paws of Fury
    Italia '90 (Ireland wasn't in it ffs)
    Urban Chaos (PSX version)
    Terminator (Mega Drive)

That's all I can really think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Gaelic games( ps2)
    alien syndrome ( wii)
    Super monkey ball: banana blitz( wii, it's not bad on 1 player to be fair but its a freaking multiplayer game)
    robocop vs terminator( only on the snes)
    superman 64( n64)
    grand theft auto: london(ps1)
    sonic fighters( arcade but was on sonic gems collection)
    sonic r
    pacman 2600( Atari 2600)
    custers revenge( atari 2600, I havent played it but well... you know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    grand theft auto: london(ps1)

What was so bad about this? it had a kicking soundtrack and was identical in gameplay to the previous PSX GTAs.

What was so bad about this? it had a kicking soundtrack and was identical in gameplay to the previous PSX GTAs.

yep that's pretty much the problem and there was only 1 previous gta game being the original, I just thought this was an unnecessary clone so I choose this.

I think the original gta was one of the most overrated games of all time. If the only thing it's got going for it is the kickass soundtrack then I'm glad I put it there because let's face it the graphics were very bad for ps1. The series didn't take off for me until gta III, never has a move to 3d been more successful than with gta.

Ah lay off the original GTA. I think the graphics are fine, loads of heavily detailed sprites being thrown around especially when the PS couldn't do 2D very well. What really mattered was the gameplay which was gold. I remember when I got it I spent the first 2 weeks just running around causing havok. After that I started playing properly and discovered an amazing game in there. It was really arcadey and you couldn't save during the game so it made it really tense. You had to make sure you carried out every mission correctly because if you missed out on the multiplier you would have to go on a rampage to get enough points to finish the level and it made it very tense with mountains of cops after you. It's a damn fine game and even if it wasn't your type of game you can hardly call it one of the worst.

You kids are spoiled by the likes of GTA III and IV.
    Grand Theft Auto and GTA:London were revelations compared to all that went before, I bought the original at launch for my PC and was blown away.
    I mean, a top down perspective at first looked very retro, retro looking for the mid 90's too! But then you see it for what it is, a living city, in 3D as well, but for your point of view.
    Sliding cars around corners, between lorries, ducking along pedestrian walk ways, whilst watching your pager, rushing for a ringing phone box on the other side of town and with a bomb timer ticking in the corner! Brilliant!

And then of course there was the "KILL FRENZY", where things got interesting, running down lines of monks etc.

I have it still for the PS1 and it's still got it's charm, as reflected in GTA:Chinatown which is much the same mechanics of the earlier game, despite being separated by 12 years, in fact, I reckon the PS1 could do a fair job of a version of GTA:Chinatown.

As for the criticisms of GTA:London, they would be fair enough if DMA were pedaling it as a new game, but they didn't, it was sold as a mission pack, presumably the first of many but for the development of GTA II and then ramping up to GTA III.

So, don't be so hard on the original GTA and the mission pack GTA:London, and realise the revolution they represented in 97, compared to what was available elsewhere at the time.
    And remember that the long time series competitor Driver wasn't released for another 2 years on the PS and PC.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You kids are spoiled by the likes of GTA III and IV.
    I assure you I'm generally a retro- style gamer. I did enjoy gta III and vice city, never really bothered with the rest.

So usually I wouldn't complain about graphics too much. It doesn't date very well and I'm not saying that just because it is 2d.

I know it's probably harsh saying it's the worst game ever,some people seem to enjoy so it must be doing something right. But I didn't get it. It generally wasn't a very popular selling game but over here for some reason people ate it up. Must have been the 18 rating :)

Gta 2 was a bit better from the little I've played of it mind.

Ok, so you didn't like it, fair enough.
    One thing though, while the characters and cars were sprites the city itself was 3D, in fact they had an inhouse version running from the first person perspective!
    I have it for the PS and GBA and have to say it's still fun, sure it's not a patch on the more modern GTA titles in terms of depth and visuals but in it's day it was revolutionary, and the features that made it so can still be appreciated now.
    And fair enough if you are a retro fan, but you were about 9 when the original came out, so perhaps the buzz passed you by.
    GTA 2 was not really all that hot, while the different gangs and loyalty was well implemented, the futuristic world grated a bit.
    I think GTA sold very well actually, not sure if you mean it sold well in Europe, Ireland or Limerick!
    Speaking of which....
    Grand_Theft_Auto___Limerick_by_Falcon9x5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

in fact they had an inhouse version running from the first person perspective!

Ellaborate?

Master of the Universe

And fair enough if you are a retro fan, but you were about 9 when the original came out, so perhaps the buzz passed you by.

Lol! Ziiiiing!

I was 13 and my mother wouldn't let me buy it :( Had to make do with a time limited demo.

in fact they had an inhouse version running from the first person perspective!

Eh I don't think so considering that the uses the same trick a lot of saturn games use. The ground is a massive 2D tile based map that is scaled in and out and the 3D polygon elements are synched to scale and scroll with the 2D plane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Lol! Ziiiiing!

I was 13 and my mother wouldn't let me buy it :( Had to make do with a time limited demo.

Haha, hate that!

I got GTA and GTA London when I was 5 or 6. Didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing but enjoyed it none the less. I used to just run around stealing cars. I still like to throw it on every now and again and play (now with a bit more knowledge of wtf is going on :D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement