Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists - Rules of the road

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

km991148 wrote: »
    Holy fu(k

This is killing boards!

Na, boards has remarkable survival skills - 'popcorn' threads the house speciality.

What's all this lycra business about ?, I just dress the way I am and use trouser clips.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you've got and even if you don't, ya just gotta flaunt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I wheely believe that we should allow discussion on cars V bikes. It tends to go in roundabouts and ends up in a car crash or train wreck, and nothing is every resolved. But, we should not put the brakes on the converstaion.

Agree - it makes for great entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

I just watched the Rules of the Road advert on RTE1 before 9pm news. - When driving watch out for cyclists as they may be riding 2 abreast ... why? why can they do that and take up all that space, last time I checked they are not a width of a vehicle and they do no pay road tax

I thought it was the same rules for a bicycle as a motorcyle. They can singly occupy the full width of the road depending on road conditions but shouldn't ride two abreast. Cycling on the inside of the road is safer and a courtesy to other traffic using the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

They can singly occupy the full width of the road depending on road conditions but shouldn't ride two abreast.
    The laws for cyclists allow travelling 2 abreast and overtaking 3 abreast.
    Cycling on the inside of the road is safer and a courtesy to other traffic using the road.
    That is debatable. If you cycle in a city, you are generally much safer in the middle of the lane as it keeps you away from opening doors and stops people trying to squeeze by you when there is traffic in the oncoming lane, as well as giving you the space to swerve around potholes if needed. Generally cyclists stick to the inside mostly as a courtesy to other drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I thought it was the same rules for a bicycle as a motorcyle. They can singly occupy the full width of the road depending on road conditions but shouldn't ride two abreast. Cycling on the inside of the road is safer and a courtesy to other traffic using the road.

The key phrase is "more than". It is legal to cycle two abreast and has been since 1964.

29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

hoodwinked wrote: »
    first of all when i said "here in Cork" i meant i am unfamiliar with events up the country not the rules and laws.

cycling on your own is obviously ok, how many people commute alone? the majority i would hazard a guess,

as the groups i am referring to may consider each other "Friends", so if this cycling with friends involves cycling in a group on a public road to get somewhere faster than others/your previous times or falls in to then yes that group of friends are racing and shouldn't be on that road participating in that activity unless they are willing to close the roads being used and pay for that privilege like all other groups would have to.

Cars and motorbikes shouldn't race on open roads because it would invariably mean violation of the speed limit to a truly spectacular degree and be insanely dangerous. Runners unofficially race each other all the time; just check Strava's run segments. Cyclists using Strava is no big deal because a top-tier cyclist on an eight thousand quid bike will still struggle to crack 40mph on the flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The key phrase is "more than". It is legal to cycle two abreast and has been since 1964.

29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a29

haha - hasnt been updated since 1964 - that says a lot that does ! ....

Personally I think people Cycling is great...

Me too, especially when you jump on them and they don't expect it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Like a lot of the opinions on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yes, it says that they made this law in 1964, and they haven't felt the need to change that part since then, they pass new parts of the road traffic act every so often though, most recently in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Knasher wrote: »
    Yes, it says that they made this law in 1964, and they haven't felt the need to change that part since then, they pass new parts of the road traffic act every so often though, most recently in 2014.

Makes sense

Advertisement