Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists - Rules of the road

Options
  • 01-07-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭

I just watched the Rules of the Road advert on RTE1 before 9pm news. - When driving watch out for cyclists as they may be riding 2 abreast ... why? why can they do that and take up all that space, last time I checked they are not a width of a vehicle and they do no pay road tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Jesus will it ever end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I only ever cycle on my own so on occasion I cycle in the middle of the road to give that two abreast cyclist experience to drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Good afternoon to you Andy from Sligo and you're very welcome to Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just watched the Rules of the Road advert on RTE1 before 9pm news. - When driving watch out for cyclists as they may be riding 2 abreast ... why? why can they do that and take up all that space, last time I checked they are not a width of a vehicle and they do no pay road tax

Car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Should be made do a theory test!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nobody pays 'road tax'

And the law allows cyclists to ride in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Pass 2 abreast in half the time it takes to pass single line.

Really, if you are struggling with that basic concept, should you be driving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

I saw a cyclist the other day and they didn't even have a bell on the bike.
    Needless to say I reported the matter.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Jesus will it ever end

......apparently that's the exact thought motorists have when passing a group of cyclists in single file :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

f..k me here we go again ,, its part of the rules of the road can you not grasp that simple concept

• Advertisement

Buzz Meeks wrote: »
    I saw a cyclist the other day and they didn't even have a bell on the bike.
    Needless to say I reported the matter.

You can't have bells on racing bikes because of aerodynamics and they don't look good. It's the law.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

HHmmmmmm, the last 2 threads recently didn't solve any cyclist/motorist issues.
    I don't expect this one to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Great start to the week on Monday. Sat at a red light on the motorbike on the way to work and Tour de France wanna be man just sailed past the red light only to be pulled over on the other side of the junction by a Gardaí on the beat. Was a thing of beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

and they do no pay road tax

Oooh, he card-reads good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Did I hear a minister on the radio today about new rules for cyclists?

Something about if they are caught on a footpath by a Garda they can be shot with a taser? Something like that?

Great start to the week on Monday. Sat at a red light on the motorbike on the way to work and Tour de France wanna be man just sailed past the red light only to be pulled over on the other side of the junction by a Gardaí on the beat. Was a thing of beauty.

Are all the TdF wannabes not in Utrecht for the 'Grand Depart'?

Probably a Tour of Poland wannabe you saw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

People cycle two abreast to ensure that a motorist that wishes to overtake will be forced to do so properly, as if they're overtaking another car.
    2/3/4 cyclists will often take up the 'shape of a car' to try to disuade cnuty drivers from forcing their way around them and potentially knocking them down.

We only have lycra to protect us, you get metal, so have some courtesy :)

libelula wrote: »

Don't forget the bit of butt padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

last time I checked they are not a width of a vehicle and they do no pay road tax

How often do you check this? What vehicle? Does road funding not come from central government therefore every one pays road tax? Has nobody thought of a thread on this before now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nobody is forcing anyone to go out in nothing but lycra, You could wear a suit of armour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People cycle two abreast to ensure that a motorist that wishes to overtake will be forced to do so properly, as if they're overtaking another car.
    2/3/4 cyclists will often take up the 'shape of a car' to try to disuade cnuty drivers from forcing their way around them and potentially knocking them down.

Like this?
    Don't mean to be judgemental but I'd be embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

kneemos wrote: »
    Like this?

want to share how come you had that pic so handy?

kneemos wrote: »
    Like this?

You really shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have the definitive solution to all rules of the road threads. Just ban knobs.

Doesn't matter if you're driving a juggernaut, a wobbly box, a paddywagon, a jammer, a BMX or Shank's bleeding mare, if you're A knob, get off the fcuking road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I was driving down a very steep, narrow hill and this single cyclist in front of me started weaving in and out all over the road. I couldn't over take him like that and I can't see how that fits into the rules of the road. What if I started driving from one side to the other? Egotistical bastard.

eternal wrote: »
    I was driving down a very steep, narrow hill and this single cyclist in front of me started weaving in and out all over the road. I couldn't over take him like that and I can't see how that fits into the rules of the road. What if I started driving from one side to the other? Egotistical bastard.

Not being a smart alec, but look up speed wobble/shimmy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Not being a smart alec, but look up speed wobble/shimmy?
    He was going all over the road though. Is that normal?

eternal wrote: »
    He was going all over the road though. Is that normal?
    No , not at all.
    But shimmy could explain it if it was on a downhill like you described.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Jezz, I don't understand the crying of drivers with cyclists, just overtake them and move on. I come across loads of cyclists on the road and back-roads every day and I don't see a problem. If I have to slow-down behind and wait till it's safe to overtake so be it, it's only a few seconds of my time, no big deal.

I have noticed the odd cyclist breaking red lights in Dublin city, but they are taking a chance with their life. Most cyclists I come across are grand, so I don't know why there is so much whining about them.

Advertisement