Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the S2 opener. I'm not exactly enamoured with the cast/characters but I LOVE the zombie-building tension. The more practical side of a zombie apocalypse. Over an hour long too, great success. I wonder when we'll get the inevitable some-current-cast-leave, get-new-replacement-cast ala LOST :p

The more pressing matter is what do you call a group of zombies?
    A horde of zombies?
    A shuffle of zombies?

:)
    Horde is generally the most commonly used word. The Zombie horde etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ooh, how about a Plague of Zombies? Any other group names you can think of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

A murder of zombies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Anyone else notice that Darabont was credited under the pseudonym Ardeth Bey for writing the episode. They named him as exec. producer under his own name.
    Perhaps for legal reasons after the firing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that Darabont was credited under the pseudonym Ardeth Bey for writing the episode. They named him as exec. producer under his own name.
    Perhaps for legal reasons after the firing?

he directed the first 6 episodes, so until episode 7 his name will be credited as director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As a big fan of the books, I thought this was pretty poor for a season premiere. I also thought the first season generally bad, but watchable. The first twenty odd minutes were decent, despite some baffling oversights - Dale somehow not spotting a massive herd until they were almost on top of them, for example. But some great moments of tension, and great effects. The subsequent forty odd minutes though, really not so good. Too many drawn out scenes, and often, altogether pointless scenes. I also think in comparison to several other high profile shows, the character development in this is abysmal. I truthfully think that having watched the entire first season, I still don't really care much as to who lives or dies. I think the only thing that keeps me coming back to this is my love for both the books, and all things Zombie. I've a friend who's of the exact same opinion.

I'd give it a 4/10. The books deserve more and the show is capable of more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

As a big fan of the books, I thought this was pretty poor for a season premiere.

I'd give it a 4/10. The books deserve more and the show is capable of more.

I've seen a few films first that made me then read the comic books.. eg sin city, 300. But have to say wouldn't even contemplate reading the walking dead books after watching the tv series! Looking at how highly people rate the books though, the series must have some fundamental flaw??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got around to watching this last night.

though it was good. it was nice to see them introduce the herds concept though i do wish there was MORE of em as i always think their numbers dont reflect the idea well.

still it made for some great tension.

i agree though that all that much didnt seem to happen for a season 2 opener and some of it was a bit baffling (im thinking the treatment of andrea here)

still its got 13 episodes this time so maybe there pacing themselves.

nice to see daryl as a team player too instead of being the generic rabble rouser and the episode does end up at an intersting place so ill be there for episode 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

God damn Sky. Have been checking to see if it was starting every so often in the search option. "The Walking Dead" brought up no entries while "Walking Dead" did. At least there are plenty of repeats during the week!

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    God damn Sky. Have been checking to see if it was starting every so often in the search option. "The Walking Dead" brought up no entries while "Walking Dead" did. At least there are plenty of repeats during the week!

i dont think sky one shows the walking dead,fx is only channel in ireland that will air the walking dead season 2 for some time. its coming out on fx tomorrow. rte 2 shows the walking dead but prob wont come out til maybe march/april:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i dont think sky one shows the walking dead,fx is only channel in ireland that will air the walking dead season 2 for some time. its coming out on fx tomorrow. rte 2 shows the walking dead but prob wont come out til maybe march/april:rolleyes:
    I know that it's fx, but the Sky Search would still show it up regardless of what programme it's on. I thought it had started earlier on the week due to the amount of people who had seen it.

Degag wrote: »
    I know that it's fx, but the Sky Search would still show it up regardless of what programme it's on. I thought it had started earlier on the week due to the amount of people who had seen it.
    ph i thought you were like checking the sky one website or something not your skybox:p no hasnt aired on any channel in ireland yet, i and obviously everyone else watched it online, sidereel is avery good site, no download very quick and easy:)

for those ofyou who like daryl dixon ,wikipedia says the makers recognised how popular daryls character had become and he has now been upgraded from recurring cast to main cast , so i doubt hell die anytime soon, which is good hes a very entertaining character :)
    also wikipedia has a list of all the characters well meet at hershels farm in the next episode :)
    New cast members include Scott Wilson as Hershel Greene, a ranch owner; Lauren Cohan as Maggie Greene, Hershel's eldest daughter; Pruitt Taylor Vince as Otis, Hershel's ranch hand; Jane McNeill as Patricia, Otis's girlfriend; Michael Zegen as a teenager named Randall; Emily Kinney as Beth Greene, Hershel's youngest daughter; and James McCune, as Jimmy, Beth's boyfriend.
    so we got hershel,maggie,otis,patricia from the comics. and we didnt get arnold or lacey or the twins which isnt bad they didnt do or say much in comics and die early on.instead we have beth,jimmy(possibly billys counterpart) and then randall. so 7 more characters.
    cant wait for next episode :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Oh god, an absolute chore to get through that episode. Just don't find myself warming to any of the characters except crossbow guy. Couldn't care less about the rest of them.

And i wonder whether the zombies were in the church worshipping Jesus cos he was the first zombie :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure whether I'd call Daryl "popular", at least not in the traditional sense. He's about the only character on the show that's either not an idiot, or is vaguely 3-dimensional (though he's still a bit too close to the 2D-racist-hick template for my personal liking). So if being popular equates to the audience not hating his guts, then yeah, I guess he's popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

he got a crosbow which he use to kill zombeis. so kewl ^_^

If you take away the gore from the season 2 opener, then there really isn't much left. One dimensional characters which we don't care about, terrible acting and subpar writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

JC, you taking requests?

Get a meth lab in the RV and they're set.

Never take kids or desperate parents on these hunting/rescue things. If they do more of these side missions then, well, it's kinda silly padding.

More of Daryl's field autopsy skills, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If you take away the gore from the season 2 opener, then there really isn't much left. One dimensional characters which we don't care about, terrible acting and subpar writing.

Exactly. I think this show is being let off the hook because its a TV series set in a zombie apocalypse. People who love the premise will put up with a LOT. I know I do.
    Id would struggle to name most of the characters, and after watching the whole first series, thats saying something about how little I care about them. It could do with being a bit darker too. All this love triangle stuff and then that church scene at the end of the episode..... it was like watching the Gilmore girls.

You're right, I can't actually name any of the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Can't name the characters, can't believe that little girl would have got lost so easily, blondie with the gun fetish is driving me nuts, hope she gets eaten soon. Would love triangle guy ever grow a pair, hit on blondie with a gun fetish!!
    Can't warm to most of those characters, the only one i like is yer man from 'this life' and 'teachers'...but i'll stick around coz i like the premise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Zombies people! Thats what keeps us watching.
    TBF first episode wasn't that bad, wasted too much time recaping and hanging around but at least it didn't finish up with a resolution. They seem to be going for a long story arc this time.
    The white trash crossbow guy (I know I cant remember names either) is the sort of character you cheer for on the underdog principal. Mrs Hero is some cow though, make up your ming already an stop keeping poor second choice hanging on.
    The depute ! whats the story? How dose he keep his uniform so clean?
    Still, ZOMBIES. Whats not to like!

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Still, ZOMBIES. Whats not to like!
    Everything else

youre all very crritical:p it is a zombie show after all! can any of you name any show or movie about zombies that was better or even as good as twd? well as an avid zombie and disease killing the worlds population movie and show fan i can say i have not seen anything else near as good as twd. the genral dark depressing tone and setting is very well done, i must say i like most of the characters though some can be a bit annoying at times and script can sometimes be a bit off. but i just really like the show and find it easy to remember all their names. ill admit character development needs to happen on a bigger scale soon, but i read in a few interviews that character development will play a huge role in season 2, all characters will be fleshed out much more, robert kirkman said season 2 will see a lot more character development than season 1, and you will know all the characters much better by end of season. its only episode 1 of s2 guys give it a chance!:)

can any of you name any show
    Dead Set.
    or movie about zombies that was better or even as good as twd?

lol

thinking back on the episode again there is alot of subtle stuff going on.

look at daryl for instance. wasnt that long ago he wouldve let the black character die, particualry after what happened with his brother. now he seems to be looking out for everyone.

rick as well is far more vicious in this episode.

look how he took out the two zombies that he lured away in the woods and compare that to how he always treated them with respect trying to remember they were people once with a past.

he's definetly heading down the road of his character in the books.

i can understand how people are a bit pissed on the character front, but that said we've only got 7 episodes in effect.

thats not even a third of a normal season of an established show so im willing to give it till the end of this run before i'll lay into it on that stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I don't see why people keep watching episode after episode only to make the same complaints after every one of them.. :confused:

its "the ryan turbidy" effect !

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

God I loath whatsherface from Prison Break, the wife. When they stopped to gather supplies from the traffic jam, 'Guys this is a graveyard, I dont know how I feel about this' Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Thargor wrote: »
    God I loath whatsherface from Prison Break, the wife. When they stopped to gather supplies from the traffic jam, 'Guys this is a graveyard, I dont know how I feel about this' Ugh.

That was annoying alright what bothered me more tho was how she let her kid wander off in search of loot in what she herself described as a graveyard , ya know those places one usually finds (un)dead things .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i love how everyones jumping on the i dunno there names bandwagon, seriously if you dont know there names your not interested in the show, so why the hell are ye watching it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

don ramo wrote: »
    i love how everyones jumping on the i dunno there names bandwagon, seriously if you dont know there names your not interested in the show, so why the hell are ye watching it,

I gotta admit, I'm really bad at remembering names. I've read every one of The Walking Dead comics (and I really enjoyed them). I've also watched all of the AMC's episodes and I still struggle to remember the names.

In my head it's 'The main guy' and 'his wife' and 'his son' and 'his old friend and 'black guy with the son'. I can remember what they did in the story and all sorts of details about them....but I don't remember their names.

Of course, on the internet, I normally look it up before I post, but I can sympathize with people who say, 'And what's up with that girl with the sister?'

Robdude wrote: »
    I gotta admit, I'm really bad at remembering names. I've read every one of The Walking Dead comics (and I really enjoyed them). I've also watched all of the AMC's episodes and I still struggle to remember the names.

In my head it's 'The main guy' and 'his wife' and 'his son' and 'his old friend and 'black guy with the son'. I can remember what they did in the story and all sorts of details about them....but I don't remember their names.
    This is exactly the way I am and Ive read all the comics aswell, I still have to look up peoples names in Outlook that I work with sometimes.

What do you mean 'Jumping on the Bandwagon'? What bandwagon? The people who pretend not to remember a characters name bandwagon? Hadn't heard of that one. I know she was called Sarah in Prison Break because I can remember Micheal Schofield saying her name loads of times, when do we hear her name said in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Thargor wrote: »
    The people who pretend not to remember a characters name bandwagon?
    i see youve heard of it:D, its just one person said it, and then another 10 or so said it, it was being said so much it seemed people were doing it for a luagh, you know where yerman told yerone that he didnt know,

there not hard names to remeber, i admit i struggle with the more peripheral caracters, but i know who darly, dale, andrea, rick and lori are, theyve been the main 5 caracters in the show so far, so if i didnt know there names i wouldnt see much point in watching the show,

i can remember all the names realy easily comic and show.
    rick,lori,carl.
    morgan and duane.
    andrea and amy.
    dale glenn,shane.
    jacqui
    jim
    tdog
    ed,carol and sophia
    morales eliza and twins.
    merle and daryl.

**sort of spoiler i suppose if you havnt read comics****
    from comics.
    judith grimes
    donna allen ben and billy.
    tyressee ,julie chris.
    hershel,maggie,otis,billy,rachel,susie,arnold,shawn and lacey and patricia.
    axel,thomas,andrew,dexter.
    abraham,eugene,rosita, fr.gabriel.
    the 6 hunters.6 scavengers
    cant remember the alexandria safe zone survivors names ,too many, theres like 40.
    oh ye one more ,how the hell did i forget michonne!! best characters ever!

hardcore the walking dead fan right here:D

don ramo wrote: »
    i see youve heard of it:D, its just one person said it, and then another 10 or so said it, it was being said so much it seemed people were doing it for a luagh, you know where yerman told yerone that he didnt know,

there not hard names to remeber, i admit i struggle with the more peripheral caracters, but i know who darly, dale, andrea, rick and lori are, theyve been the main 5 caracters in the show so far, so if i didnt know there names i wouldnt see much point in watching the show,

and shane,howd you forget him he probably has 3rd most lines in show!!and ricks son carl is also a main characters id forgive you for forgetting what the rest of there names are though! the only ones you left other than shane and carl who i said above are are tdog the black guy,carol bald woman and her daughter sophia and they dont do much really. except in the last episode they got a good bit more face time and lines. i really like carol now, i feel sorry for her, i think shes a good actress.
    new characters coming next episode, a big family called the greene family.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watched it and I really thought it was awful.

Was hoping for signs of improvement from S1.

What do we get , one good scene as herd goes by, then a predictable child goes missing and they look for her.

I find lots of the group to be unpleasant people and I think in that situation that people would be more co-operative.

Also the zombies, how come some are just walking and notice nothing and another is very inquisitive, like the one in the RV?

Autopsy....WTF? Just done for gore/shock value? Did they expect to find her head inside him?
    Why were the zombies sitting in Church pews as if they were praying?

Why was one in a wedding dress?

The scene with the bloody deer. Why is it unsafe to shoot a zombie but apparently ok to shoot a deer?

Also deer don't just stand and look at you.....they're gone.

Two church scenes were ridiculous.

For the story to move along they group need to have some sort of plan which offers some hope. At the moment they are just drifting and stumbling from one crises to another with relationship problems inbetween.

Will stick with it but my patience is wearing thin and I'm afraid it'll turn me into the watching dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I'm watching it on European schedule on FX, is it me or was the season premier far more violent than last season???

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just watched it and I really thought it was awful.

Was hoping for signs of improvement from S1.

What do we get , one good scene as herd goes by, then a predictable child goes missing and they look for her.

I find lots of the group to be unpleasant people and I think in that situation that people would be more co-operative.

Also the zombies, how come some are just walking and notice nothing and another is very inquisitive, like the one in the RV?

Autopsy....WTF? Just done for gore/shock value? Did they expect to find her head inside him?
    Why were the zombies sitting in Church pews as if they were praying?

The scene with the bloody deer. Why is it unsafe to shoot a zombie but apparently ok to shoot a deer?

Also deer don't just stand and look at you.....they're gone.

Two church scenes were ridiculous.

For the story to move along they group need to have some sort of plan which offers some hope. At the moment they are just drifting and stumbling from one crises to another with relationship problems inbetween.

Will stick with it but my patience is wearing thin and I'm afraid it'll turn me into the watching dead.

i think your a bit unfair in some points 1-re.''Was hoping for signs of improvement from S1.'' . well i thought it was a good episode, youd atleast have to say it was a big step up from the horrendous last episode!

point2-What do we get , one good scene as herd goes by, then a predictable child goes missing and they look for her. -- ye i sort of agree, but dont really see how its predictable, i thought it was quite clever how he had to leave her behind to go kill the zombies as he couldnt take them on on his own, then being a scared child who probably didnt take in anything rick was telling her as she was so scared getting lost was quite realistic also. and when the zombie attacked her under the car, she had nothing else to do but run down the embankment.

re 3-I find lots of the group to be unpleasant people and I think in that situation that people would be more co-operative.- whens it any different you hate some you like some, maybe not like so many in this case:p though i like nearly all the characters, and they will be develpoed mor ein this eason and youll like them more, maybe i like them more cus i read the comics and its coll seeing the comic characters in real life! yes i suppose its unrealistic that they dont cooperate more, but the uncooperation makes for problems and drama!

re 4- Also the zombies, how come some are just walking and notice nothing and another is very inquisitive, like the one in the RV?
    -who cares, now thats just nit picking! maybe only one zombie saw the open door of the rv or it was the only one to smell andrea inside, come on you have to leave some room for unrealism in a show!

re5-Autopsy....WTF? Just done for gore/shock value? Did they expect to find her head inside him?
    ye suppose your right it was sorta of stupid, the whole little girl was hardly going to spill out of its stomach like when you you cut open a shark and car reg plates and what not slide out :p i think that was mostly for gore and daryl character development.

re6-Why were the zombies sitting in Church pews as if they were praying?

so what they were just sitting down, in earlier episodes in atlanta zombies were sitting in burnt out cars,same thing.
    well she obviously just died in the dress, i thought it was kind of cool anyway..

re7-The scene with the bloody deer. Why is it unsafe to shoot a zombie but apparently ok to shoot a deer?
    you do know it wasnt anyone in the group that shot the deer right?it is a new character we will meet in the next episode on hershels farm, minor spoiler as to why it happens.
    a man named otis living on greene family farm shoots carl accidentally while out hunting.he needed food so its not stupid
    youd need to shoot a wild animal to kill it as it would be too fast to sneak up on and hack apart with a machete! while killing a zombie with a gun causes unnessecary noise as you could kill it with a knife,axe baseball bat. that point was also nitpicking!!

re8-Also deer don't just stand and look at you.....they're gone.

again who cares and thats nitpicking imo:p

re9-Two church scenes were ridiculous.
    agreed, but i like the carol (the bald woman ) in the church scene, sort of developed a character we havnt seen much of. i quite like her, a quiet shy character,used to be dominated by her now dead abusive husband , now finding new found strength fighting her daemons. i really felt for her in that episode, i think shes a good actress.also like her daughter, now as for tdog, i wouldnt mind if he got the axe.:p he sorta annoys me.

r10-For the story to move along they group need to have some sort of plan which offers some hope.
    well they did have plans,tried to go to atlanta,didnt work out, went to cdc and didnt work out, now they have no real plan but also they didnt in the comic but that leads us to our next big arc which will start in the next episode
    hershels farm

r11 At the moment they are just drifting and stumbling from one crises to another with relationship problems inbetween.
    thats the point of the story really a never ending hellishness where death is ever near ,they come across safehouses from time to time only to be shot down once again, a constant sense of desperation and despair.

now come on a lot of your points have been very nitpicky admit it!! i think your in the mid frame of a lot of people who like to hate the show and are all jumping on the same bandwagon and not giving it a chance, your all trying to fing wholes in it and watching the episodes with bias towards it already before you even watch it:D

re -Will stick with it but my patience is wearing thin and I'm afraid it'll turn me into the watching dead.
    do !! and give it a good chance, start off afresh, as if youve heard the show is going to be really good and try to like the show and i bet youll love it. give it a go and enjoy. now if you still hate the next episode i'll leave you off;) but youll be missing out;)

• Advertisement

Any of you zombie fans ever read a comic called Crossed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_%28comics%29

Its not really zombies, its a plague spread like a zombie epidemic but it turns its victims into total psychopaths. I guarantee its one of the best comics and one of the most fcuked up things you'll ever read, especially the sequel, Crossed Family Values.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched episode 1, below average but still watchable for the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I liked, will tune in again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Booooorrrrrinnngg.
    Filler episode. 80% of it is Rick crying over Carl, 10% is the other group wandering around doing nothing, 5% is T-dog being sick and then getting meds, then 5% zombies. The characters aren't characters, they're place holders for stuff to happen to them.

Will have to go back to the comics now to remember why this was good in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Agreed. Good ending, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought that the writers tried way too hard to engineer conflict between the survivors. It just felt very contrived. Rick's wife Lori came across as a shrew - she scolds the other survivors for scavenging from the cars as if the entire world isn't already filled with the dead. One minute she's telling Shane to back off then she's nagging him for acting cold towards Carl?

Andrea berates Dale for not letting her die in the CDC as if he had dragged her kicking & screaming out of the building instead of simply convincing her to leave with him. If she truly wanted to die she could have stayed there.

Even Shane & Andrea bicker with each other for no apparent reason even though they both want to leave the group. Wouldn't it make far more sense to have someone with you watching your back instead of striking out on your own?

I didn't mind the church scene, it just reinforces the idea that the zombies have vague memories of their former lives like when Morgan's wife kept returning to their home in the pilot episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I didn't mind the church scene, it just reinforces the idea that the zombies have vague memories of their former lives like when Morgan's wife kept returning to their home in the pilot episode.

Maybe it's a coincidence, or the signs of a show that diminishes in quality each week, but Every episode that Morgan has been in is much better than episodes he's not featured in!

Apparently, Walter 'Heisenberg' White's blue meth made a cameo appearance last night.

8KOHx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe it's a coincidence, or the signs of a show that diminishes in quality each week, but Every episode that Morgan has been in is much better than episodes he's not featured in!

i havnt seen ep 2 yet, was morgan in it? the only other episode he was in was pilot?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who shot Carl?
    Otis (accidentally) shot Carl while hunting. I believe he is a former neighbour of Hershel, the vet/farm owner

• Advertisement
Advertisement