Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So where and what circumstances found you in a dodgy pub? I dont mean stories like "turns out it was a gay bar and Im not gay", i mean real dodgy. Something similar to perhaps the "Slaughtered Lamb" in American Werewolf in London or the bar "Double Deuce" in Roadhouse.

The dodgiest I can come up with was when I was touring Uganda, stayed in a hotel called the Sky Blue. (The finest in minus 1 star accommodation!) It was Easter Sunday and a fight broke out in the adjoining niteclub. The bouncer, who looked more like Hopper in Predator, broke up the fight by shooting his shotgun up in the bar only a few feet away from me. Nice.

What about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

The Cavern in Salou, Spain. Anyone who's been there will know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The Peacock on Cathal Brugha Street, it's gone now afaik.. That was some dive. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't remember the name of the pub, but it was a complete hole in Coventry, I was 17 and with my uncle, the pub was full of skinheads, one of which asked me why I looked at his girlfriend:eek:

Think Romper Stomper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Deep in enemy territory, Belfast :pac:

Israeli flag behind the bar and all at the time, epic. Literally looked like they'd decorated the pub by going 'What are the other crowd interested in at the minute? Alright. Whats the exact opposite of that? Brilliant we'll have two of them!'

Didn't have a pint anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The Baggot Inn years ago. The place was a hole but it had cracking music nights

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some Wetherspoons pub in Brixton, I forget the name of it

Didn't really know too much about Brixton then, and to top it off me and a few mates were after taking magic mushrooms (legal at that time) and were completely oblivious to reputation the place had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The Baggot Inn years ago. The place was a hole but it had cracking music nights

My parents used to booze in the Baggott Inn, O' Donoghues, Brazen Head , Meeting Place and all them kips. Mainly lovely pubs now, but they were mad nights by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Popped into some pub opposite Connelly Station a few months back just to kill 20 mins before I had to be somewhere and everyone in the place just stared me out of it the whole time. I took out an a4 pad and a pen just to write something down and people started pointing at me and whispering to each other.

Very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The worlds end in kk.....what a kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

PrivateEye wrote: »
    My parents used to booze in the Baggott Inn, O' Donoghues, Brazen Head , Meeting Place and all them kips. Mainly lovely pubs now, but they were mad nights by all accounts.

I believe the Baggott is looking very well these days. An improvement on my time there no doubt. Back then we used to call it "the maggot bin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My local, Sally Longs. It's a biker bar for those who aren't familiar with it. It's a wonderful place, but the amount of fights I've seen in there is something unreal, and it's not the biker types who start the fights though.

You see, there's a particularly awful nightclub just up the street, knacker central we'll call it. All the skangers who attend this club like to come into Sally's beforehand and get well drunk and start fights. It's a great place, nothing like it, playing pool and listening to some AC/DC while having a pint and a chat with your mates, the staff are absolute champs, but add some knackers into the mix and it gets ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

The worlds end in kk.....what a kip

I remeber it when it was the Perch - that was worse:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The Headline Bar in Dublin, scary place. Went to a quiz there and won, we were lucky to get out alive when we didnt hand the prize money back to the organizers. Few of the locals were very vocally calling for us to be "sorted out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Myself and another boards poster about 7 years ago ended up in a gay brothel/tranvestite bar. It was in Dublin... Very dodgey place. When we got out of it we went for a lapdance. Just to reaffirm ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Danny Boys on the Quay in EL Paso..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cafe en Seine . What a scary experience! Full of tangoed ladies in designer dresses and guys in chinos,leinster jerseys and boating shoes all pretending to be minted and from the Dublin 4 area :eek::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Keatinge's in mary's Abbey..its gone now but the blokes getting TR from mountjoy would head straight there and by 12 pm it was like a scene from dante's Inferno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

The hoops bar by the Oval cricket ground in kennington London! It was old firm Derby day & my plastic Paddy mate decided that was the place to watch the game!Didnt last the 1st half in there!Never seen such out & out scum in my life,they were turning on eachother within 10 minutes of kickoff!Scary scary Celic bar full of scum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

There was a morning bar in Cork... i forget the name of it but it was a seriously nasty place to find yourself off yer tits on a tuesday morning being leered at by aul drunks who've been on the beer since 1962 without a day off since. Worst thing was the mirrors in the toilets.... something about them always emphasised how utterly ****ed you looked

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Some bar a friend brought a group of us to when we visited him in Heathrow. I think the bar was out near Twickenham somewhere, can't remember the name of it. There was a Robin Reliant outside it, and it had a stage with a pole where chavy girls used to get their whole kit off and pole dance. Then they'd come around the crowd with a cigar tin for you to put some change in for them! :eek: Apparently some people used to put stones in instead too!

When we entered the bar there were some chavs playing pool and they shouted in our faces "allrite boyz d'ye wan us to get ye a couple of cokes then yeaaaaaeees!" We decided to ignore the intimidation and stay for a look.

Ollie's bar in Drogheda too, had to get off the bus there was I was dying to pee all the way from Dublin. Some of the locals really looked inbred and had wounds from fighting, I was pushed on my way out the door. And I'm a big enough guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

In this country the Oasis in Cabra....f*cking sh*thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

The Queen Vic, very unhappy place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I went to this bar in Manchester and I should have known it was dodgy when I seen the 2 police vans parked outside. Had to go through 2 metal detectors and get frisked before you can get in. We were the only white people there and we got some looks of the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The Limelight on Thomas Street...

Ended up in there on day two of a bit of a bender, and no sooner had I set foot in the place when a one legged junkie who was passed out on a pool table cocked his head up and asked me was i after any yokes...

There were a few old lads with big yellow beards openly skinning up and there was a heavily pregnant girl who didn't look a day over 14 buying a bottle of vodka at the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Keeping it local this time I worked in Lowe's Bar in Rialto. What a fcuking dump. It was awful. The amount of all sorts it attracted was unreal. One day I went into work and was told by my boss that he didn't have any work for me because there was a riot the night before. The place was in bits, windows smashed and boarded up, smell of piss and **** everywhere, cum all over the walls!!! :eek: I was supposed to go home to Sligo that weekend for a get together and instead had my time wasted.

One night when I was working one fcuker pissed into an empty pint glass and gave it to his pal to drink. He drank the whole pint and puked all over the bar. I was quick and dodged the debris but a lot of other people where not so lucky. One pig ignorent old timer just laughed as he was covered in puke. Said it hasn't happened to him in a good while and then sipped his pint. wtf!!! :eek:

That's just a few horror stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Doctor Rob

Bruxelles just off Grafton St. Dublin. The downstairs area was full of smelly, long-haired homosexuals with hearing problems.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my scene!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The scariest bar i was in was in Inuvik In the Northwest teritorty in Artic Canda, Inuvik is really a wild west town, this particular bar was called Barts, full of really drunk and violent natives but i actually got talking to a few of them and when they heard i was Irish they kinnda took it easy on me, they though i was just another white cannuck:D, who by the way they usually kick the **** out off and rob as the barmaid told me, think of people using crack in the bathroom and 2 guys covered in blood asleep in on a bench outside and you will get the picture. I was constantly hassled for drink as you would expect but me being Irish some of the guys loved it and actually brought me a drink:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

faigs wrote: »
    Some bar a friend brought a group of us to when we visited him in Heathrow. I think the bar was out near Twickenham somewhere, can't remember the name of it. There was a Robin Reliant outside it, and it had a stage with a pole where chavy girls used to get their whole kit off and pole dance. Then they'd come around the crowd with a cigar tin for you to put some change in for them! :eek: Apparently some people used to put stones in instead too!

When we entered the bar there were some chavs playing pool and they shouted in our faces "allrite boyz d'ye wan us to get ye a couple of cokes then yeaaaaaeees!" We decided to ignore the intimidation and stay for a look.

Ollie's bar in Drogheda too, had to get off the bus there was I was dying to pee all the way from Dublin. Some of the locals really looked inbred and had wounds from fighting, I was pushed on my way out the door. And I'm a big enough guy!

It was nice of them at the same time to offer to buy ye drinks.

Advertisement