Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new powers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Garda Inspectorate Report published today.
    ''It also noted that Garda reserves were not being utilised, supervised, or directed.''

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1111/658385-garda-inspectorate/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

D Trent wrote: »
    ''It also noted that Garda reserves were not being utilised, supervised, or directed.''

The Report is really comprehensive in regard to the entire organisation but the sections relating to the Reserve are truly ground breaking . The influence of other Police forces can be seen throughout. Will the recommendations be acted upon , one would hope so. If so then it is a game changer . An opportunity for those of us who have been in the Garda Reserve a long time to finally get the opportunity to contribute and really assist our full time colleagues in a way that may change forever the attitude which has dogged the reserve from its inception in 2006. This will make all of our past work worthwhile and help to retain the numbers and really offer those who are interested in joining a solid platform from which to learn , serve and make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

tg123 wrote: »
    D Trent wrote: »

The Report is really comprehensive in regard to the entire organisation but the sections relating to the Reserve are truly ground breaking . The influence of other Police forces can be seen throughout. Will the recommendations be acted upon , one would hope so. If so then it is a game changer . An opportunity for those of us who have been in the Garda Reserve a long time to finally get the opportunity to contribute and really assist our full time colleagues in a way that may change forever the attitude which has dogged the reserve from its inception in 2006. This will make all of our past work worthwhile and help to retain the numbers and really offer those who are interested in joining a solid platform from which to learn , serve and make a difference.

Recommendations relating to Garda Reserves are long term classified amongst 200 other recommendations, so don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Peppa Cig wrote: »

Recommendations relating to Garda Reserves are long term classified amongst 200 other recommendations, so don't hold your breath.

What were the reserve recommendations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

3fullback wrote: »

What were the reserve recommendations ?

Independent patrol and more laws for Reserve if deemed competent to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

TallGlass wrote: »
    3fullback wrote: »

Independent patrol and more laws for Reserve if deemed competent to use them.

The Inspectorate in fairness has highlighted pretty much exactly what we have been shouting about for years, the fact that we're pretty much under utilised, insufficient powers, and most importantly of all the fact that we can't patrol on our own. However sadly as we all know, the Gardai like most Public Sector organisations in this country hate change, and most of these recommendations will end up in the bin, and ten years from now if the Reserve is still going, we will still be wondering if we'll ever get fit for purpose powers, or be allowed to patrol on our own with other Reserves.

See pages 17, 57 and primarily page 142, recommendation 3.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-11-05a.284&s=garda+reserve

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by the Commissioner that the training of all the Garda Reserve in the new powers will be completed shortly.

Longest training course i have ever heard. Two years and still going...........................

I must have missed that training, or did that joke of a day down in Templemore constitute our training in new powers??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yeah they are, but truth was spoken and the way things currently are was acknowledged - that is a nice step forward in my eyes. Hopefully a positive step forward to progress and movement with members. I know not all are ready, but some certainly are and it would do their commitment-to-date justice if positive movement were to happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Three Months since the last post!! Any one any news on Powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

a dead end there id say! :/

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    a dead end there id say! :/

I agree. Time to hand in the notice id say...

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    I agree. Time to hand in the notice id say...

No chance of me resigning . After all the training and hours I have put in.
    Am in for the long haul................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

No chance of me resigning . After all the training and hours I have put in.
    Am in for the long haul................

Just don't expect from it
    All that you have put in

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blarney15

Are there any reserves left to give these new powers to? There was 10 reserves assigned to my station... 8 resigned including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

blarney15 wrote: »
    Are there any reserves left to give these new powers to? There was 10 reserves assigned to my station... 8 resigned including myself.

Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing. Those that are left - More and more existing reserves not attending for duty. Majority not completing hours (based on 3 stations). Overall contribution of Reserves in terms of man hours now negligible.

Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time.

Wont be long?? Think that has happened already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

in the latest campaign being a reserve made such minuscule difference you d be better off with someother type of organised community work etc etc

not some organisation that takes a year to do a background check,
    complete shambles of a set up, and should be scrapped,

unless you can bring in exp assistance from the likes of the uk (who have successfully implemented PSCO's )its fruitless

focus should be on FT imo

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing. Those that are left - More and more existing reserves not attending for duty. Majority not completing hours (based on 3 stations). Overall contribution of Reserves in terms of man hours now negligible.

And who would you say is at fault for this failure of the reserves ?? poor management, no direction, lack of integration .

They had 1500 reserves all willing to come in be another pair of boots on the beat all for free, what did they do with it "nothing".

The biggest problem with the AGS is change they are afraid of it instead of embracing it, look at the Uk they system works fantastic another reason an insider got the position of commissioner, leaders were afraid if they brought an outsider in to the system the system that is broken would be fixed.... ohh we cant be having that something getting fixed.

AGS is a stuck in the time a draconian system that needs a complete overhaul which i personally would say would have happened if they had hired from outside the outdated service thats in situ now.

So Peppa Cig who is to blame ?? the reserves !!

Such negativity ....wonder what is driving it. Is this poster a reserve ??
    His or her information is wrong training of reserves is ongoing at the college 24 reserves moved to the fulltime and will out in may and this was just the first batch. For those of you who are in the process of waiting to be called for the reserves take heart dont listen to all the rubbish that sometimes gets posted here.believe me its well worth the wait

believe me its well worth the wait

What planet are you on!!

• Advertisement

blarney15 wrote: »
    What planet are you on!!

The same planet as you just a
    More positive attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

''Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing''

This i believe , but there only winding down because of the full time , and the ones leaving are sore about not getting full time.

"Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time."

This is bull**** , Ok the GR aint great but it there now there not guna go right will stop it nearly 10 years on. and for all the people that are leaving there are people waiting to take your place , me for one.
    I will say it is very un organised and iv been waiting 2 years now , but i have faith that something good will happen with the GR since its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

tg123 wrote:
    The same planet as you just a More positive attitude

well said, some are more dedicated and intrested than others.

SO7378 wrote: »
    well said, some are more dedicated and intrested than others.

Well said some are very dedicated .posted recently after seeing a picture on facebook about a tallaght reserve catching a burgular while he was on holidays now that is the level of dedication some reserves have

Extract for the 2015 Police Plan
    Fix
    •A new model of policing embracing cultural reform
    •Develop a workforce re-alignment process
    •21stcentury technology supporting a mobile and agile police service
    •Harness and develop our knowledge and skills
    •Implement Inspectorate recommendations *********

Changes are coming boys and girls , I hope we are all ready for them. I am sure we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Well said some are very dedicated .posted recently after seeing a picture on facebook about a tallaght reserve catching a burgular while he was on holidays now that is the level of dedication some reserves have

im still waiting on the Reserves and i dont plan on giving up, i work alot with the Gards and they all reckon il do fine, and that its just the waiting game. which it is if you are dedicated enough!

right this is my year , positive attitude , :D

Oh to be young again!

Just a question lads.

If we were to be granted the powers in the morning, do you think it would solve a lot of things??

My opinion would be that it would as we would become more useful.

• Advertisement

I think it would help alot.

Advertisement