Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU shutting down the airports next week!

Options
  • 26-09-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aer-lingus-industrial-action-to-go-ahead--siptu-568327.html

F**KERS!! is the only word that comes to mind when I think of Jack O'Connor and his cronies. Punishing thousands upon thousands of innocent passengers who have absolutely nothing to do with this. Screwing up peoples business trips, holidays, honeymoons, visiting relatives, etc.

This really should be illegal, hopefully the high court case on Friday will prevent it from happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Scummy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Unions should be banned IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Read it again, rolling closures not full closing. Delays may be had, but at least you know about it days in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

SIPTU: GBoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

In before Nodin and K-9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Read it again, rolling closures not full closing. Delays may be had, but at least you know about it days in advance.

'Days in advance' means nothing to people like me who have booked flights 5 months ago. There's no guarantee it will only cause delays, it would most likely result in a flood of cancelled flights. Anyway they are causing a lot of stress and worry to the people who couldn't be furthest from their issue in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's only the big airports that will be effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

It really is horrible. People are going on holidays, business trips, honeymoons and the likes yes. But you also have people rushing to see sick relatives, coming home for funerals etc.

My dad passed away in San Fran and we had to get him home. Can you imagine an air strike in that situation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Knock is still operating all flights, all ten that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Knock is still operating all flights, all ten that is.

Ten more than Cork, Dublin & Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Lucky nobody flies through big airports then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

SIPTU Sector Organiser, Dermot O’Loughlin, said:

“Both companies have, for many years, paid significantly low contributions into the pension fund. Now they have abandoned their responsibilities to thousands of our members by refusing to put the required extra monies into the scheme. SIPTU remains committed to any meaningful process that can bring about a fair and reasonable outcome for our members.”

Anyone whether the company is required by law to pay their pensions?

Strikes over rosters, pensions etc. They are never far from the news of the talk of Industrial action. I'm sick of hearing about them and their 'poor' conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

this is a load of ****. work out some othe way to solve your dispute. dont piss the general public off because thats not gonna make us give a **** about you.

Still not good enough. No closure would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Don't really see what the alternative is. Negotiations are going nowhere...time for action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

AER LINGUS has warned it will sue trade union Siptu and its officers, officials and members for at least €2 million a day in potential losses if planned industrial action goes ahead from next week.

In a letter sent to the union yesterday, the airline maintained the row with the union over pensions did not constitute a trade dispute.

It argued that Siptu, in triggering the planned action, was acting outside the protections set out in industrial relations legislation

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0926/1224324429488.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

My favourite scene from my favourite movie:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Boombastic wrote: »
    Anyone whether the company is required by law to pay their pensions?
    I'd find it odd if only Aer Lingus had to (by law) pay their employees pension, as no other company has to.

Don't really see what the alternative is. Negotiations are going nowhere...time for action!

That's typically because SIPTU generally couldn't agree on the colour of sh1te, let alone this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I had to google for what SIPTU is.
    It's a union.
    So is it some sort of strike with the Aer Lingus lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

With the DAA, the only way to get them to sit up and do something about grievances is to threaten strike. They are a horrible company to work for. Don't give a fiddlers about their staff.

Funny that SIPTU will strike over pensions for older folk but refuse to do so over the abysmal treatment of (newer) T2 staff.

Still, I fully support this action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Random wrote: »
    this is a load of ****. work out some othe way to solve your dispute. dont piss the general public off because thats not gonna make us give a **** about you.

The only thing that they have to negotiate with management is the threat of strike. What else do they have to 'persuade' management on the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Taxpayers own the DAA and are being asked by SIPTU to pay for the pensions of these workers. No, pay for your own pension in the same way as I have to pay for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

hmmm wrote: »
    Taxpayers own the DAA

Do they now? Explain that one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinLintzgy

I have a private pension, and work in the private sector.
    along with thousands of others, my pension is also worth less than i paid into it.
    Unfortunately, I am not in the happy position to be able to hold a gun at the head of my employer. I do not expect the taxpayer to pay my pension.
    Siptu look after their members, and screw everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Elessar wrote: »
    Do they now? Explain that one to me.

How does it need explaining? DAA is a semi state company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

SIPTU along with others should be forced by the courts to disband and close shop. Unions are a load of out dated bollox and they're corrupt to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's simple to me - we need to ban public service unions from industrial action. Reagan was a bit of a legend for doing the same with air traffic controllers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Air_Traffic_Controllers_Organization_%281968%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Hopefully the DAA will be granted their injuction to-morrow, personally I hope the lazy feckers strike so that Aer Lingus and the DAA can sue them into liquidation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

So they threaten industrial action, what happens now is that potential customers will instantly avoid aer lingus and go to their competitors, thus putting the company in an even worse position, by merely threatening action they hurt the company and therefore by extension themselves.

madness in this current climate.

Advertisement