Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mark O Brien was brilliant. DJ Foran did well, Gleeson came well into it and Patrick Curran. The corner backs to I think are impressive. And no goals conceded. Fair going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Class, well done lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gwan the deise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Did well to win, wasn't the most convincing performance, ye're really going to have to stop conceding soft frees. I know the ref wasn't great but still, need to be more disciplined.

Tightened up a bit towards the end, Austin Gleeson really grew into the game and Curran began to take control up front. Hopefully we'll be playing ye for a third time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

played poorly yet won. That referee was terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Congrats to Waterfords minor hurlers, fully deserved and will take a lot of beating in the final as they can only improve from today's performance. Impressed with Gleeson, DJ Hanlon??, Bennett and Curran. Wasn't a dirty stroke in the game but ref was poor. Hope Deise go on and win it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

whats the story woth the reds ,shane bennett unavailable now ? surely it'll be appealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

whats the story woth the reds ,shane bennett unavailable now ? surely it'll be appealed

no ban for a second yellow sending off

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Wow lads
    Waterford GAA ‏@WaterfordGAA 27s
    Michael Ryan has officially informed Waterford Co Board that he will Not be seeking the position of Senior Hurling Team Manager for 2014.

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Wow lads
    Michael Ryan has officially informed Waterford Co Board that he will Not be seeking the position of Senior Hurling Team Manager for 2014.

I'd say thats bollocks ,likely he was told he wasnt being considered so was given the oppurtunity to step down.

he has been so good for us ,what a shame

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I'd say thats bollocks ,likely he was told he wasnt being considered so was given the oppurtunity to step down.

You wouldnt know he could ahve any number of reasons priate or professional for not wanting another year.
    All the same would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for to hear what the reason for not reappointing him was

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Wow that's a surprise. Anyone got more on the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

I for one think Michael did the best with what he had player and resource wise. He tolerated a lot of digs jibes from fans. He had a team that was in transition and did not have the vast talents fitz had when where finishing their careers and still managed to lead us to 2 of the biggest embarassments in modern hurling history

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

He deserved another year a chance to reap the harvest of the seeds he had sown so to speak.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Wow lads

Very surprised at this, he gave every indication previously he was gonna stay on.

Very disappointing news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Disappointed now- WD played a nice brand of hurling under him

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Wow that's a surprise. Anyone got more on the story

Heard he wanted a 2 year deal but was only offered a single year extension

Last time I was talking to him he said he was going for another year, that was a couple of weeks ago (the week after the loss to KK), very strange indeed. I'm sure it will all come out eventually what happened. Is this story confirmed?

Last time I was talking to him he said he was going for another year, that was a couple of weeks ago (the week after the loss to KK), very strange indeed. I'm sure it will all come out eventually what happened. Is this story confirmed?

On Waterford GAA official Twitter account. My first reaction would be that another man already lined up resulting in Mullane back playing

Sounds plausible while Mullane was missed will the new manager be up to the task? Michael Ryan done alright and brought the team on from the disaster of Davy's reign.

• Advertisement

On Waterford GAA official Twitter account. My first reaction would be that another man already lined up resulting in Mullane back playing

I do love Mullane, I guess all would be forgiven if he came back and led us to glory.

But while I never doubted his commit to Waterford, I would feel a bit sick if he rushed back now just as a new manager has come in. In my opinion, you play for Waterford, not the manager, and that shoukldn't make a difference when it comes to wearing the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Very surprising news. I have no idea who we'll get now!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

We will probably get Donal Og Cusack now to cut his managerial teeth in Waterford for the betterment of Cork. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not true as far as I heard

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    We will probably get Donal Og Cusack now to cut his managerial teeth in Waterford for the betterment of Cork. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

That definitely won't happen

Not true as far as I heard
    What did you hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

I do love Mullane, I guess all would be forgiven if he came back and led us to glory.

But while I never doubted his commit to Waterford, I would feel a bit sick if he rushed back now just as a new manager has come in. In my opinion, you play for Waterford, not the manager, and that shoukldn't make a difference when it comes to wearing the jersey.
    Mullane must not be allowed to dictate to a new manager. What the new manager says must go. Jimmy Barry Murphy is absolute boss in Cork. He has total discipline. There are no prima donnas on the current Cork team. The players take orders. Thats it. If you dont like it you go. The same must apply in Waterford if we are to win an All Ireland. The manager chosen must have a track record. Nothing else will suffice.
    I am sorry to see Micheal Ryan go. He has brought Waterford a long way in a short time. I would like to thank him for the great work done this year. He earned the right to remain in charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

That definitely won't happen

It was meant to be a joke but nothing would surprise me now. Instead of celebrating our great win in minor here we are dicussing our senior manager's position. Its like jumping in the air after winning only to get a kick in the goolies when you land.

I suppose there had to be some catch to us winning an all-ireland semi final today, cos that just doesn't happen!!!

It was meant to be a joke but nothing would surprise me now. Instead of celebrating our great win in minor here we are dicussing our senior manager's position. Its like jumping in the air after winning only to get a kick in the goolies when you land.

have you not been a Déise man long ? is that not our lot in life ,I'd imagine being a Waterford fan is a lot like being bipolar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

new management team will consist of either Derek McGrath/paul Flynn or Chuck O'Connor......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good win for the minors congrats to everyone involved was very happy to be in attendance today.

Now to start the hunt for final tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Well I got the tickets for the last two matches so the brother can sort out the next one :pac:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What did you hear?

that he had a meeting during the week and was willing to stay on and it seemed like he was offered to stay on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to our minors today, gave the county a big lift today, with all the doom and gloom about.

It will be interesting to see who takes over the Senior team.. didn,t see that comming today..

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Hopefully the pressure will be kept off the minors as they prepare for the final. So plenty of talk about the selection of a new management team might not be a bad thing.

culbaire wrote: »
    Hopefully the pressure will be kept off the minors as they prepare for the final. So plenty of talk about the selection of a new management team might not be a bad thing.

I know the rule about talking up minors, but is there any avoiding talking about stephen bennett ?

heres hoping he has some serious years ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

First things first - Congrats to Waterford minors on beating Kilkenny and getting to the All Ireland final.
    In hindsight they have had the easier semi as I reckon Galway are stronger than Kilkenny.
    Waterford played very poorly today and still won. The sideline seems very out of depth tactically. The referee did give a lot of frees but to be fair, most of them were frees, you cant put a hand on a fellas back, grab his arm or his jersey, Waterford fouled persistently today and were let off near the end when Murphy drove a relatively handy free wide. They kept launching puck outs on top of Foran and he wasn't winning them, Kilkenny knew this would happen, Limerick knew the last day this would happen and whoever they play in the final will think this will happen again so Waterford need to think smart and make a change to their puck outs or vary them some what the next day.
    Waterfords big players didn't play well, which is a good thing in a way because they won. Oz Gleeson tries to showboat a small bit he got caught badly twice for this in the 1st half and scores came off it, he copped on in the 2nd half and had a fine game.
    The full back looks shakey and the 2 corner backs wouldn't fill me with confidence either. Tom Devine was very quiet mid field without being poor or anything, he just wasn't in the game. Roche was poor, I know he was injured before today so that may have been it. Its good to have a lad like Curran to come in there when they needed and he hurled well when he came on.
    The ball wasn't fed into the full forward line enough and I noticed the full forward line were drifting away from goal when they weren't being fed, this is exactly what the opposition wants to see. We eventually had to bring Patrick Curran to 11 to get him into the game.
    Stephen Bennett is an outstanding young hurler, who, please god, will be a massive player for the senior team in years to come. Stephen however needs to know when to take his points and when to go for the jugular. I will applaud a lad for going for broke and having the balls to do so but at times taking the point is the better option, it happened on 3/4 occasions today. I know this team likes to score goals but at times they want to walk the ball into the net and that wont happen too often at this level.
    Hopefully the lads can go on and win the All Ireland, we really need an All Ireland at some level and please god these lads can do it, they are well capable.

On the Michael Ryan issue...people are saying here that he did well, I dunno, he did better than what was expected out of him but I don't think he made progress, he maintained the team and they didn't regress, but progress, no, not at all. he was always going to be a stop gap appointment. Id thank him for his work but I'm not sorry he's finished up. but the county board need to be very shrewd with their next appointment and if Mullane will come back on board, we should have Molumphy, Daniels, Philip Mahony and Shane Walsh next year to add to what we already have. Munster is going to be extremely competitive over the next few years and we cant afford to sit back as a county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Just back from game, looking forward to watching it back on tv. We didn't play great overall but the main thing was getting the win in a venue where we have struggled and particularly the psychological boost of beating KK. We will need a massive improvement for the final but we have 4 weeks of training. Well done to all involved, great boost for county.

Disappointed to see Michael Ryan go and would like to thank him for his contribution. Hard to know where we go in terms of next appointment but saw Jason Ryan in Croke Park and would think he will be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Jason Ryan hasn't done much in Kildare it seems plus hes a football manager, not a hurling manager and I don't think he would ever be seriously considered for the Waterford hurling job.

I really smell a rat in this story ,skully was all for coming back and now hes not, the CB must have ****ed up mightily to lose him ,either that or they are pulling an almighty stroke in getting jason ryan or cody to come in.

I honestly believe that he could have done some great things and jumped before he was shoved

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Good win for the minors today, despite making pretty hard work of it. Am I alone in being concerned at how our teams at many grades seem to have real problems gaining possession though? It sure was nice to see the ground stroke employed by a Waterford team and the ball kept moving though.

Surprised to hear about Michael Ryan stepping down, the managerial merry-go-round begins again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I hope the county board are straight on the phone to Donal O Grady.

Scully did a fine job and I'm sad he's not going to be there next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Would have been of the same opinion before he was appointed in Limerick, but after his stint there, I am not sure he is not a one trick pony with the short passing game. This is probably a harsh assessment, but in my opinion, the jury would be out on him right now.

Scully did a fine job and I'm sad he's not going to be there next yr.

we have to be nearing the end of the famine ,whenit ends, I want a waterford man at the helm.

we have had years of moderate success we dont need to import anyone anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

I dont think somebody like OGrady would do, he would be more of a short term plan. We need a young progressive manager and to give them plenty of time like Dalo at Dublin. Rome wont be built in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

The only man for the job is Liam sheedy

Hslaw wrote: »
    The only man for the job is Liam sheedy

Hands off. He could be needed at any time :D

Commiserations in losing a good manager like Mick but perhaps he feels his job was to come in and stabilise the setup and that the likes of Ken Mcgrath or Peter Queally could be the men to bring Waterford hurling forward. They've a few handy young fellas in the pipeline. The Currans look handy as does young Bennett.

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Jason Ryan hasn't done much in Kildare it seems plus hes a football manager, not a hurling manager and I don't think he would ever be seriously considered for the Waterford hurling job.

AFAIRC he was in the running last time only he stayed on with Wexford. From De la Salle which is a big hurling club in the city of Waterford. Many would think a Waterford man younger then alot of the intercounty players couldnt have brought a professional setup to a football county but he did it with Wexford and his absence this year has been noted. I do think the job will probably go to Queally or Ken though

AFAIRC he was in the running last time only he stayed on with Wexford. From De la Salle which is a big hurling club in the city of Waterford. Many would think a Waterford man younger then alot of the intercounty players couldnt have brought a professional setup to a football county but he did it with Wexford and his absence this year has been noted. I do think the job will probably go to Queally or Ken though

I have as much respect for ken as anyone but does he have the pedigree to run a team?

this seems like a steve staunton to me

skully could have done anything with 2 more years this thing stinks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement