Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leupold mounts

Options
  • 29-08-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I Currently have my scope mounted using Leupold 30mm standard High mounts and there is about 9-10mm of clearance between the objective of the scope and the barrel. I would like to tighten this gap up a wee bit as my cheek is not welded as tight to the stock as I would like and was thinking about getting a riser but i'll try lowering it a bit first and see from there.

My question is: Will the low mounts be too low? does anyone know the actual height measurements of the different scope rings? whats the difference in mm between the low, medium & high? I did a bit of a google today but didn't get much joy.

(hopefully low ones will bring me within a couple of mm of the barrel)
    Cheers folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They usually go up in increments of 0.125" or 3mm. So if the ones you have are high and there is 9 - 10 mm clearance you can drop two increments of 6mm or 0.25" and still have 3-4 mm clearance. That means you can look at low rings, and ignore medium ones.

Just make sure the drops are 0.125".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

knew you'd be quick off the mark :) cheers, at least now I've a better idea of what to look at.

When I looked I only have 4mm between the bolt and the eyepiece (didn't think of that) so I might have to go for the mediums and drop it 3mm, I found measurements on midways site that tally near enough with what you said. Big question now is if leaving 1mm between the eyepiece and the bolt would be too tight?
    Should I scrap the lowering idea and get a comb raiser instead?

I suffered a similar problem. Dropped the scope and found the bolt barely clearing the eye piece housing of the scope. As i'd already dropped it i kept it and adapted to the new way of cycling the bolt.

However a cheek riser would have the same effect of fixing the eye relief issue without sacrificing bolt clearance. What rifle is it? I ask so i know what the stock is like and can better advise on what type of cheek riser to go for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Steyr Mannlicher Classic Halfstock, lovely bit of wood though, it'll be a shame to hide it but if needs must...

eyqtVN8Vj

https://imageshack.com/i/eyqtVN8Vj

• Advertisement

Well that puts shot to the idea of a Karsten. Too nice to drill.

You may look to other, stick on, risers. Such as Beartooth, Unlce Mike's, Hillman, etc. Some act as a bullet pouch as well as a cheek riser so you gain twice.

As for covering the stock. Think of it as fixing a problem, and protecting that stock all at once.

I'll have a look about, Probably stop into duffys tomorrow and see what he has.
    Cheers.

Advertisement