Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you really got a lemon man, shouldnt be any lag/widget fails.

Sony have always put the videos in with the photos, in sequence( DSC001.jpg DSC002.jpg MOV003.mpg DSC004.jpg).

Cant comment on just dance or 360 photos.

The stock camera app isnt great btw, it over-compresses, you're much better off with something with good camera drivers like Vignette. The ICS stock camera is much better so thats a probable improvement in the pipes.

Objective for today, get a replacement with an AB build code.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Loving this phone right now. Screen is amazing and it just feels great in your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

ED E wrote: »
    Objective for today, get a replacement with an AB build code.
    Did you get a yellow tint in your screen?

billbond4 wrote: »
    Did you get a yellow tint in your screen?

Yup. Outside 28 days so no swaps. Salesman asked me to call Tech Support to get a replacement code from them, their system said they didnt sell the phone, when they've stocked it for 2 months +. Well done three, well done.

Back to the x10 :( Lets hope to **** Fonmenders dont send me another AA cause I'll throw a fúcking fit if I collect it next week and it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

AA ?

BostonB wrote: »
    AA ?

The initial build, the one of which most get the yellow tint. Fixed from AB onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I opened a ticket with Sony customer service and was told to send the phone to Fonfix in Sandyford for repair.
    Gone now since last Thursday and they said 5 to 7 business days for repair!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I opened a ticket with Sony customer service and was told to send the phone to Fonfix in Sandyford for repair.
    Gone now since last Thursday and they said 5 to 7 business days for repair!

Tales on XDA of UK people waiting 3 weeks "for parts". Seems like Sony cant keep the new stock coming fast enough to keep up with the failing originals now.

Just recall them you stingy gits sony.

• Advertisement

Tales on XDA of UK people waiting 3 weeks "for parts". Seems like Sony cant keep the new stock coming fast enough to keep up with the failing originals now.

Just recall them you stingy gits sony.

I'd love if there was a recall, but Sony claimed that it wasn't a widespread problem! :mad:

Yeah, we're clearly buying that.

If this was the US we could sort a class action and screw them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

anyone managed to get this working with adb for development?

Drivers aren't working for me no matter how many times I uninstall them and install them again, it registers as a MTP device and I can transfer files to it but no usb debugging :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The initial build, the one of which most get the yellow tint. Fixed from AB onwards.

Where can you see the build? i cant see AA on the build

Look on the back panel:
    LT26i
    AAAC
    12w10

LT26i is the model and primary revision(i for GSM, a for CTIA)
    AAAC this is the hardware build(?) or whatever you want to call it. Tint has been found in 12(2012) w(week) 8 through 12. Maybe later, I havent read every single post. So far no phone with ABXX has got the tint, so they're apparently post sony taking their finger out of their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Look on the back panel:
    LT26i
    AAAC
    12w10

LT26i is the model and primary revision(i for GSM, a for CTIA)
    AAAC this is the hardware build(?) or whatever you want to call it. Tint has been found in 12(2012) w(week) 8 through 12. Maybe later, I havent read every single post. So far no phone with ABXX has got the tint, so they're apparently post sony taking their finger out of their arses.

*sigh*

Mine is AAAB 12W11, that means it's possible I'll get it isn't it?

This is already my second Xperia S!

• Advertisement

Ericaa wrote: »
    *sigh*

Not only possible, but quite probable.

Poll on XDA, half of users reported the tint. Now you've got to factor in that having the tint would drive you to XDA so in the general public we can guess less than half have it, but then some people have had 4 tinted phones in a row. So yeah, odds are NOT in great.

Ericaa wrote: »
    *sigh*

Same boat as above,

Not cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Few I dodged that bullet, not buying it immediately and trying to pick one up second hand seems to have saved me :)

XS:
    563777_2058599402731_1777020561_978024_1783308630_n.jpg

X10
    ScreenShot-5.png?t=1336650954

It feels like taking a tractor on a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the return time usually from Sony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

oh god, glad I started reading this, was seriously considering an xperia s vs a galaxy s2 and now I'm frightened

loopymum wrote: »
    oh god, glad I started reading this, was seriously considering an xperia s vs a galaxy s2 and now I'm frightened

This is more a GS3 Competitor than GS2, but if you wait this is no longer a problem as they fixed the manufacturing process. Just give it a month for all the stock to come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

This is more a GS3 Competitor than GS2, but if you wait this is no longer a problem as they fixed the manufacturing process. Just give it a month for all the stock to come through.

Its far from a gs3 competitor, a lot slower, no removable battery, no micro sd card slot, android 2.3, smaller battery capacity.

I would nearly rate the gs2 better then it, nicer design, has android 4.0 now, beats the xperia s in a lot of the benchmark tests, has expandable storage and a removable battery.

Sony ruined there chances again because of the bad design(also stupid things like them annoying capacitive buttons), last years technology processor and releasing it with android 2.3. They should have waited really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks for feedback, think I might have dodged a bullet!
    Thanks boardsies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Xperia S mod allows you to wake display from volume keys

Having to wake the Sony Xperia S via the power button at the top of the handset can be a tad frustrating given its size. This is especially relevant when trying to use the phone one-handed. However, a useful mod has appeared that will allow you to wake the screen from the much more easier to reach volume keys.

The process itself looks relatively straight forward although you’ll need to make sure you have root access on your Xperia S. You will have to download one of two files (the first enables to wake the screen via the up volume button, whilst the second allows you to wake the screen via both the up/down volume buttons). The full instructions are here and it is reported working on the .73 firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Whats the story with Ice cream sandwich on this? Any date for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Phone dropped in for repair tuesday of last week(I think), called today to ask where it was, "due in today". Sure enough call back an hour later to say its in. Going to collect now, fingers crossed for no yellow tint ;)

Roll on ICS ladies. According to K900 on XDA we're looking at may rather than june.

Still no sign of my phone coming back :mad:

Let me know if the repair worked anyway ED!!

I think ICS will be out before I get my phone back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just an update on my kind of 'lemon' of a device that was lagging and widgets were not displaying and general overall iffy nature of the device

Well its a little better since I removed the live wallpaper but its still not as smooth as my old Desire. Widgets sometimes require a reboot to display and screens still lag a bit. Running Go Launcher and its better than the stock launcher but still don't like the contacts integration and no way as nicely done as HTC Sense. It has its quirks still but I am getting used to it. Still cant wait for ICS to see if that fixes a lot of things.

Some questions for people
    Got my NFC tags yesterday - what are people using them for outside the general Home/Work/Bedroom/Car stuff that is fairly obvious? Any other uses?

Contacts syncing to Facebook, Skype etc is not great - integration is poor. Any ideas on a good app to get it all working smoothly?

Notifications on lock screen only work sometimes - any fix for this?

Got a case (Nillkin) and it fits great - now I am more at ease giving the phone to someone to look at or even placing down on a table!

• Advertisement

So yeah, Fónmenders appear to have just sent it straight back. Gonna call out to them in person using the sony warranty and ask for a new unit, if not three can have the phone back I think and I'll buy something else(not sure what, dont like the X or the S2).

So yeah, Fónmenders appear to have just sent it straight back. Gonna call out to them in person using the sony warranty and ask for a new unit, if not three can have the phone back I think and I'll buy something else(not sure what, dont like the X or the S2).

Bunch of pricks!
    Mine went to Fonfix in Sandyford, but at least you can go to Fonmenders yourself!
    I haven't had mine for over 2 weeks now, and I want it back :mad:

Crap. Arrived in Spain yesterday. Yellow screen issue today at bottom of screen. Do Sony replace the phone or repair it and anyone got experience of how long I will be without phone while getting it sorted?

Ludo wrote: »
    Crap. Arrived in Spain yesterday. Yellow screen issue today at bottom of screen. Do Sony replace the phone or repair it and anyone got experience of how long I will be without phone while getting it sorted?

Repair, and by the sounds of it they've 0 new screens in stock internationally, everywhere is waiting for new stock. Some people on XDA are up at a month now :rolleyes:

Could have been so good, but Sony just had to f@ck things up.

Off to Rome this weekend, will need to see if i get the yellow tint,

Is it very very noticible?

On grey(like contacts) yeah.

On grey(like contacts) yeah.

Sorry to hear about yours, think a full refund will be given no questions asked?

Anyone got a picture of the yellow tint

Anyone got a picture of the yellow tint

Here's one that was taken on an X10.
    The yellow bit is easiest seen just over the home button.
    It can get a lot worse than that as the phone gets hotter!

• Advertisement

Yellow tint gone this morning. But it is body cold here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

I'm having an issue with battery charging. I have the phone charging for the last 10 hours and it's stuck on 81% have googled it, it's happened to other android phone's but no solution!!

I'm having an issue with battery charging. I have the phone charging for the last 10 hours and it's stuck on 81% have googled it, it's happened to other android phone's but no solution!!

Let it discharge and try again?

Also, what charger are you using, the S has some serious drain so older chargers and USB ports can have trouble charging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

I used the Sony charger supplied with the phone and also used my gf's new htc one charger both with the same results! I let the phone completely discharge last night from 81% yesterday evening. Had it charging from 7am to 4pm today and it was still 81%. Had the phone on lowest display brightness too.

I used the Sony charger supplied with the phone and also used my gf's new htc one charger both with the same results! I let the phone completely discharge last night from 81% yesterday evening. Had it charging from 7am to 4pm today and it was still 81%. Had the phone on lowest display brightness too.

Try Reset the phone maybe (Vol up and Lock Button)

Your battery stats are fúcked.

Think a hard reset will reset them, if not, google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Yeah...the date has changed so many times, dont believe a word the sony dev team says, ever.

@ED E
    Did you get the yellow screen fixed. Mine has shown up over the last 2 days. :mad:

Mines been with Fonfix for over 3 weeks now! Emailed them during the week and they don't have the part to fix it! Same as I've been hearing from other sites! :mad:
    Hi Marc,

We are still awaiting the necessary parts to repair your handset. I have checked with the workshop and we do not have an estimated date yet I’m afraid.

Regards

@marcbrophy
    So would I be better waiting a few weeks untill they have stock and the likes

• Advertisement
Advertisement