Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes I really think you would benefit from a bit of structure. Do most runs slow and some runs really fast (i.e. structured intervals, tempos etc). Running close to but not quite your best on almost all your runs is probably the least efficient way to improve and has a high injury risk.
    Why don't you look at the plan clearlier has put up on the graduates thread? Even if you don't do all the runs you could follow the structure.

Yeah ill have a look. Hoping to join a club in January. Presume that will help too.

Appreciate the advice

Yesterday :

A lovely cold run around the empty streets. Great way to start xmas day. No garmin or music.

Today:

About threeish miles i think. Up and down a half mile lane. Again good to escape the house.

Back on the booze later. Tough old life. Looking forward to seeing old friends though.

Logging has gone on the back burner a little of late. Ive been running regularly though and rejoined gym.

Also joined a running club. I immediately love it. Going to keep the head down for next while and enjoy the training.

Patricks day 5km is only real target. Sub 21. Would be nice.

Injury woes.

Had really been enjoying club sessions until I felt a familiar tightness at side of my knee. Rested a few days. Back to it. Cue swollen ankle for about a month. Turns out its all IT band and hip tightness related. So the past couple of months have been spent doing physio exercises.

Still far from out of the woods but finally got ok to get back to some light running so I went out thus morning for about forty minutes.

Man I missed this. Just a jog around the city. No watch. Slow pace. Good to be back!!

Time to dust off the old log for some more accountability for myself.

I have been running a bit over the past while, still struggling with the IT band somewhat although it appears to be a good deal better now. Ive been keeping up physio exercises to strengthen glutes and Ive been doing the Myrtle set of stretches which seems to help me a lot.

Had applied unsuccessfully to the London marathon and im now in two minds as to whether to do Rotterdam or Paris.

Anyway I did manage a pb in the Races series 10 mile of 1.18.30 which i was quite happy with as it cam out of nowhere.

Since then im tipping away but without much structure.

Based off Runnersworld calculator and 5k time of 21.30 im using the following rough paces:

Easy run 8.50
    Tempo run 7.21
    Vo2 6.37
    Speed form 6.08
    long run 8.50- 9.59

Tonight:

1 mile @ 9.20 pace

8 x 400 metres,1 minute recovery

1.24, 1.29, 1.28, 1.33, 1.31, 1.33, 1.34, 1.34,

Half mile cool down.

• Advertisement

Before work:4 miles in 36.24. 9.06 min miles. Easy run.

After work. Half hour physio exercises

Today:

40 mins swimming. Home for Myrtle while listening to Gordon Darcys interview on off the ball. Very much recommended.

Thursday:

Early run. Attempting to run to pace a bit more.

Idea was 5 miles at 9, 8, 7.30, 8, 9 min miles.

Went like this...

8.38, 7.50, 7.24, 8.0, 9.0. For a total of 5 miles in 40.47.

This morning :

Easy pace run. 4 miles @ 8.48

Today:

Up in the park 10 miles in 1.29. 8.58 pace.

Was shockingly tired doing this. It was probably a bit fast for a long slow run but still. Possibly the after effects of man flu.

Loads of people doing their last training runs before Dublin marathon by the looks of it. Plenty of excited hellos. (I had a bag on so I presume everyone was thinking I was doing the same!)

Yesterday:

35 minute swim.

Today:

1 mile @ 9.15

8 x 400 metres with 1 min recovery

(1.26, 1.33, 1.32, 1.26, 1.29, 1.34,1.30, 1.31)

1 mile @ 9.32

Lovely brisk evening out there for it. Aiming for about 6 min mile pace for the 400s. Not doing too bad.

Half hour or so of physio exercises now. No rest for the wicked

• Advertisement

This morning :

5 miles in 46.34. 9.18 pace.

Nice early jog around the city. Cracking morning

Friday:

Early 3 miles @ 7.11 pace.

In hindsight a terrible idea. Legs were still tired from 400s. Some tender thighs after this. Noted for future reference.

Today:

Very much recovery.

5 miles @ 9.35 pace. Random route around ranelagh and canal. Actually kept to a correct pace for the most part for once so happy with that.

Monday 19/10

35 min swim followed by half hour physio exercises.

Tuesday 20/10

6 miles easy @9.01 pace. 54.11.

Wednesday

3.95 miles @ 8.46 pace. 34.37.

Today:

6 miles easy enough 8.29 pace. 50.56.

Bad weeks running but it was my last week in work before changing to a new job. So there was a few nights out etc...all go basically. Also had the Tallest Man on Earth gig in there. Nice to get back to some running today!

Physio exercises (Workout one)

3 rounds of each. Dumbbells used are about 8 kg i would guess.

Warmup

3 x 20 squats with exercise band doubled around thighs

Circuit 1

a) Squat to press with dumbbells (8 reps)
    b) Prone row with dumbbells (8 each side)
    c) 1st ray stretch (10 reps each foot)

Circuit 2

a) Swing with dumbbell (8 reps)
    b) Push up with chest touch (5 each side)
    c) Side plank with running motion (8 each side)

Circuit 3

a) 1 leg deadlift with dumbbell 3 point reach (6 each side)
    b) Crab walk (15/20 feet each way with band around knees)
    c) Calf raise with dumbbells (15 reps)

Writing this out just the once in case i lose the sheet i have it on. Physio recommended plan to improve the IT band issues and increase general strength in the areas most needed for running i suppose. This is one of the older ones i hadnt done in a while so it was tough enough, especially the three point touch deadlift.

Had a great day (even with the rain) cheering people on at the dublin marathon today. Really inspiring stuff to watch!!

Yesterday :

40 min swim

Today:

2.25 miles down to sandymount beach. Sandbags blocking entrance so i jumped wall. Only to land badly with a big crack. Ankles huge and swollen. Good notes i can put weight on it and move toes. Bad news...its flippin huge.

Rice for now

So....i rightly ****ed my ankle.

Finally looking a bit more normal. Half hour swim today. Cannot wait to get back doing some running of some sort. Hopefully later in the week.

Finally my ankle is starting to feel normal.

Tonight

A very tentative 3 miles. 9.07 pace.

Very paranoid of going over on my ankle but went well. Really missed running. Hopefully thats the end of my fankle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Welcome back and hope that ankle behaves.

Monday

3.5 miles in 29.17. 8.22 min miles

Tonight

4 miles in 37.15. 9.17 min miles.

All fitness is gone. All fatness has come. Legs proper tired during these!! Will take time.

Great craic running in the wind and rain tonight. Cheered me right up!!

Today:

5.5 miles. 48.42. 8.51 pace.

Horrible day but not a bad run. Funnily my dodgy ankle was fine but the other was at me! Typical.

Ran past the place i messed up my ankle. Very gingerly!!!

• Advertisement

This morning :

4 miles in 37.42. 9.25 pace.

Gloves and hat sort of day. Plodded around town listening to the new Serial Podcast which seems good.

Still stiff as a board.

Yesterday :

35 min swim.

Today:

3 miles in 28.04. 9.20 pace.

Im like a beached whale rolling on the beach. Wobble wobble

Happy new year!!

A nice 4 miler to get the year going. 9.18 pace. 37.21.

Feeling stiff and fat but motivated. Did some running over Xmas including a lovely quiet one Xmas morning. But nothing worth getting excited over.

Yesterday I did a 40 minutes yoga for beginners YouTube video which I enjoyed. Flexibility is something I need to work on.

Goals for 2016- gaelforce west, Dublin marathon and lots of other races hopefully. Can't wait!☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Good luck fatty! :P ;)

This evening

Recovery. 3 miles. 10.26 pace.

Did physio exercises last night and was in bits today. Went out to dun laoghaire for a wslk to loosen up but tha failed miserably so went for a run around town when i got home.

Followed by Myrtle. My poor glutes. Wakey wakey.

2.5 mile run home from work. 9.30 mile pace.

Followed by two rounds of physio exercises once home.

Already feeling better in general getting back to being somewhat active. The sunday night fear was hugely lessened by the after run high.

Yesterday:

30 minutes yoga.

Today.

1.85 mile jog home from work. 9.35 pace.

Dropped off bag and attempted some intervals for the first time in months

8×400 metres with 1 min recovery.

1.44, 1.46, 1.45, 1.45, 1.46, 1.46, 1.43, 1.43.

Tough!! But fun. Surprisingly consistent too. No speed records but a start

7/1

30 minute swim

Next two days were spent doing no exercise as i had quite tender shins which i was a bit worried about but luckily it seems to just have been some doms.

Sunday 10th

6 miles @ 8.51 pace

Tuesday 12th

4 miles ish home from work. No garmin. Id guess 9 min miles.

Tonight

A rather baltic 5 miles. 8.27 pace.

Starting to get a bit back to normal but im still puffing and huffing. Nice to get out after a day of study.

This morning

Recovery 3.71 miles 9.38 pace.

Grand canal dock was like an ice rink earlier so just happy not to fall on my but. Ankle feels perfect. Time to increase the runs i think

• Advertisement

Shortened update after boards ate my last effort.

Sun 17th

3.1 miles. 9.14 pace

Mon 18th

4 miles 9.36 pace. Mrytle

Wed 20th.

8 miles. 9.30 pace.

Friday 22nd

3 miles. 8.30 pace

Sat 23rd

2 miles. 9.30 pace

Sunday 24th

7.5 miles 9.22 pace.

Tonight foam rolling and myrtle. Overall an increase in mileage. Some good runs. Some bad. The usual. Using foam roller as often as possible.

Oh and chaffing...so much chaffing...

Advertisement