Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would Katie Taylor beat an average man in a fight?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

darced wrote: »

You, as a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu should appreciate a close fight, where two fighters stick with their game plan and come at each other like a chess game, no?

What happens when a student raises a rank?

How do you treat a swollen ear after aggressive rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Well...like, whatever, man. My Dad could beat the crap out of your Da-

Wait what's this thread about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

katie-taylor-liam-neeson.jpg

It's already settled, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I see the Russian boxing team are claiming that the fight was fixed in favour of Katie winning.

Sour grapes perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I love how so many people assume that a boxer in a streetfight would inexplicably bind themselves to only using their fists, perhaps from some sense of honour.

"I say old chap, you're not following the Queensbury Rules! Now kindly let go your grip of my testicles and put your dukes up, there's a good fellow! Heavens, a shoulder charge!! :eek:"

*dies*

Also, stop thinking in such detail about beating Katie Taylor up. It's both weird and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

1ZRed wrote: »
    Average 5'10 male, 14 fucking stone? that's 196lbs!

I'm 6ft and 165 lbs. I'm not a small guy either:confused:

Even if I was that weight in pure muscle I'd have my ass handed back to me black and blue by her.

You're very light for a 6 footer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

She won her earlier bouts very easily. In the final she seemed very nervous, and made harder work of it than it needed to be. Her opponent was no pushover though.

But she spars with some of the best Irish male boxers on a regular basis and can more than hold her own with them. I only reitertaed what Lennox Lewis and several other top pros have said, that she can go toe to toe with male boxers and give them a serious game. Their words, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I love how so many people assume that a boxer in a streetfight would inexplicably bind themselves to only using their fists, perhaps from some sense of honour.

"I say old chap, you're not following the Queensbury Rules! Now kindly let go your grip of my testicles and put your dukes up, there's a good fellow! Heavens, a shoulder charge!! :eek:"

*dies*

Also, stop thinking in such detail about beating Katie Taylor up. It's both weird and stupid.

I think it's mainly about imagining Katie Taylor beating them up. Some folks are into that, and more power to them. Fifty Shades of Bray and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

If she wanted to she would be well able no probs. Average irish man is a fat lazy ****e tho and needs to get out more. Thats not sayin anything about KT, she is a ledgand thats sayin lads get out for a jog! It'll do ya good like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You're very light for a 6 footer.

"move like a butterfly and sting like a bee".......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I wonder how many of the Americans are sitting at home tonight arguing over whether their 400m womens' relay team would have been fast enough to beat their 400 mens' relay team.

Why so much criticism and critiquing of this great victory by arguably our best ever female athlete (here we go...). Just be happy for her guys.

She's never going to be fighting the opposite sex, or MMA fighters, or wrestlers in her sport -- just like any other athlete. Give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If she wanted to she would be well able no probs. Average irish man is a fat lazy ****e tho and needs to get out more. Thats not sayin anything about KT, she is a ledgand thats sayin lads get out for a jog! It'll do ya good like

And an average Irish woman is an ugly fat moose???? !!!

Not sure whether she could really beat the better imale boxers, all I'm saying is that in sparring she can handle it, and her sparring partners are under instruction to hit her hard.

How much they follow those instructions I'm not sure but I've seen footage of her sparring with the guys and they seemed to be hitting her some serious punches.

Whether she'd be able to beat them I don't know, I doubt it, but she does seem to be able to take the punches which in itself is surprising. I'm a guy who is 6 foot 1 and 13 stone and I'm sure the lads she spars with would probably put me flat on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For me a fight means a no holds barred brawl, not a women's Lightweight Amateur boxing match.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

aidan24326 wrote: »

And an average Irish woman is an ugly fat moose???? !!!

Not sure whether she could really beat the better imale boxers, all I'm saying is that in sparring she can handle it, and her sparring partners are under instruction to hit her hard.

How much they follow those instructions I'm not sure but I've seen footage of her sparring with the guys and they seemed to be hitting her some serious punches.

Whether she'd be able to beat them I don't know, I doubt it, but she does seem to be able to take the punches which in itself is surprising. I'm a guy who is 6 foot 1 and 13 stone and I'm sure the lads she spars with would probably put me flat on my back.

6ft 1 and 13 stone? Do you Even eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

6ft 1 and 13 stone? Do you Even eat?
    6'1'' and 13 stone sounds perfectly fine to me:confused:

Gives a BMI of 24; normal weight. In fact, it appears to be verging on the heavier side of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

She would beat the fcuk out of an average man, then pray for him.:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yes, but you'd want to get that first punch in and connect perfectly to knock her out. If not, I reckon you would be in for an ass kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Peetrik wrote: »
    If you're 14st for 5'10 then you're out of shape. I'd put a put money on any boxer, male or female that competes internationally, against the average joe especially one thats out of shape.

This man was almost 16 stone and 5'10

mike-tyson.jpg

Wouldn't call him fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

In a boxing match she would do well against some men, but a in street fight i think she'd be in a lot of trouble, she is still a woman at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

RoverZT wrote: »
    This man was almost 16 stone and 5'10

mike-tyson.jpg

Wouldn't call him fat.

I'd call him a heavyweight though, as a lot of people, including boxing officials, accurately did in his day.

And I'd call him a touch on the muscular side.

Unless he does some serious weightlifting, a 5'10, 14st average joe is a bit of a chudsy udsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

In the ring she would beat the average man. In a street fight with no rules it would be a different story. In a street fight there'd be kicking and grapling amongst other things. Katie like any boxer, is only trained to use her fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

that MMA is boring as ****, not as bad as WWE though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

jugger0 wrote: »
    In a boxing match she would do well against some men, but a in street fight i think she'd be in a lot of trouble, she is still a woman at the end of the day.

If she caught an average man with a flurry of punches, we wouldn't get back up up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

This thread really highlights the ignorance and retardation of the average after hours poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

The MMA Fighter V The Boxer. Its simply an embarrassment. The boxer is on his arse after 15 seconds

And anyone can point random videos to prove there point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Hating the yes/no answers since there are two opposite questions asked?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Queensbury? She would beat 99% of the average Joe's out there....easily. It wouldn't even be close.

A street fight is a different story though. Most men would have a size and weight advantage so just tackling her would probably end it.

Advertisement