Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick FC 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Read a good point on foot.ie about all the kids getting autographs from the pool players(most of wish will end up in lower league football in England), while two former Irish international's were on the grass bank:D

Who was on the grass bank presuming it was Dominic Foley and ???
    I was actually suprised not to see any of the Limerick lads stay behind cause of they were there I know my young lad would have asked for autograph or a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

campo wrote: »
    I was actually suprised not to see any of the Limerick lads stay behind cause of they were there I know my young lad would have asked for autograph or a pic

Joe Gamble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What kind of clowns would go up to Jackman and cheer on a Liverpool team playing Limerick. A Liverpool team that even the most die-hard 'Pool supporters would'nt have the faintest idea who any of them were. its mind-boggling really and rather sad that these people can count themselves as sportsmen/women. Probably the same people that would sit in front of a 50" screen on a Sunday watching Wigan play West Brom rather get off their butts and support a local league game.:mad:

washman3 wrote: »
    What kind of clowns would go up to Jackman and cheer on a Liverpool team playing Limerick. A Liverpool team that even the most die-hard 'Pool supporters would'nt have the faintest idea who any of them were. its mind-boggling really and rather sad that these people can count themselves as sportsmen/women. Probably the same people that would sit in front of a 50" screen on a Sunday watching Wigan play West Brom rather get off their butts and support a local league game.:mad:

I did not cheer for eitheir team last night but I am a die hard liverpool fan and I know who everyone of those players were as I watch reserves on LFCTV.

But only reason I did not cheer is because it was a friendly but by some miracle if Liverpool ever drew Limerick in europa league then I would be cheering for Liverpool

point taken. at least you did a sensible thing last night,not cheering at a friendly. can a ask are you a Jackman Pk regular or attend local league games.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    point taken. at least you did a sensible thing last night,not cheering at a friendly. can a ask are you a Jackman Pk regular or attend local league games.

Im not a regular but that has more to do with work commitments then anything else but when I am free on a Friday evening I would drop down I feel it is important to support my local club and every summer I sign my young lad up for their summer camps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Dominic Foley and Joe Gamble.

In fairness all the young lads went out and swarmed the Liverpool players so the Limerick players strolled off. A lot of the Liverpool players were actually walking off the pitch but were so swarmed they stayed on the field. I'd say they weren't even used to that kind of attention. The Limerick players i'd say would have been delighted to sign autographs for kids. If your at another game just ask one of the lads for a pic or that. They seem to be very obliging anytime I've seen young kids ask them.

Back to the important stuff.

Limerick vs Athlone, Friday 18th, 7:45 Jackman Park.

Longford are playing SD Galway and I expect them to get maximum points and a bag full of goals. SD last friday were the worst LOI team I have seen. We were poor and still managed to hit them for 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I'll be heading up again and hoping for something similar to the away performances which I havent seen any of rather than the home performances I have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

some miracle if Liverpool ever drew Limerick in europa league

It could happen in the next 3/4 years if Limerick people supported their own along with their barstool team of choice. Shamrock Rovers were playing Spurs in this years Europa league, its not so long ago they were in the 1st Div.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Jofspring wrote: »
    Back to the important stuff.

Limerick vs Athlone, Friday 18th, 7:45 Jackman Park.

Longford are playing SD Galway and I expect them to get maximum points and a bag full of goals. SD last friday were the worst LOI team I have seen. We were poor and still managed to hit them for 5.

Could be a tricky one, if Scully goes one up front again at home i think we could be in for a long night.

We'll win tomorrow night, it will be a horrible 1-0 and we'll do our best to draw it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

busyliving wrote: »
    I'm really hoping for a sunny day...

I think there will be a serious crowd at it...I think everyone should try and bring a friend, it could be the start of our title run:D

Good point. We should really all make an effort to go there more often and bring a friend. Could be worse ways to spend a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

result was a 2:1 win, both goals scored by Rory Gaffney, and the second goal was a real cracker, nicest one Ive seen in Jackman Park in a long time!

banjobongo wrote: »
    result was a 2:1 win, both goals scored by Rory Gaffney, and the second goal was a real cracker, nicest one Ive seen in Jackman Park in a long time!

Just back from the game myself, we were poor if I'm being honest.

We looked very poor in midfield at times, for example their goal was just a joke, too many mistakes.

Barry Sheedy from the start really...he was very ordinary at the best.

The only good things to take out of the game was Rory's performance up top(in his natural position) and the first half performance of Dave Ryan...we're not looking for a repeat of his second half one, nearly dropped the ball into his own net...twice

Behan wasn't great tonight either...

Now its top to look forward to tomorrow's day of sport and forget about that horribly nervy football experience that was tonight

Missed it tonight but sounds like it was the usual scrappy game.

Next weeks a big one to look forward to.

FAI Cup:

Friday 25th:

Shamrock Rovers vs Limerick FC, Tallaght Stadium, 8:00pm.

On the road we perform much better so hopefully we can put a good show in next Friday and kick on from there. I expect us to have a large enough travelling support and a decent crowd out from shams. They usually get 3,000-4,000 out for games so anything near 2,500 will be a nice gate for limerick to split with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

how did longford do,if this scraping games keeps going on much longer it will catch up with us by the sounds of the way were playing against weaker teams.

how did longford do,if this scraping games keeps going on much longer it will catch up with us by the sounds of the way were playing against weaker teams.

They won 1-0 against SD Galway...

They won 1-0 against SD Galway...

and according to the Longford fans they were brutal and just about got away with the win.

Official supporters club bus to shamrock rovers (tallaght stadium) leaving Arthur's quay park @ 3.45pm this Friday. Adults e15, children accompanied by parent e8. Members only, membership taken on the day. Please book your place before midday Wednesday.

PM me for further details.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this one, think we can get a draw at least, all the pressure will be on rovers. I'll go 1-1 with Limerick to win the replay here next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Shamrock Rovers 1 - 0 Limerick in the FAI Cup.

Sounds like we were denied a pretty clear penalty. Padraic Quinn red-carded late on too.

Anthony Buttimer destroyed last nights game.

At 0-0 we had a clear as day penalty turned down which Buttimer was 5 yards from. In the last minute we had another penalty turned down which he was also only a few yards away from. There was no way he was upsetting the cart though.

Proud performance from us. We had a 19 year old up front, our midfield consisted of a 17 year old, 18 year old and 19 year old. We were missing 6 key players and still gave a good account against the current LOI champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 j3r0me

Interviews from Friday night here...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/interviewLOI?feature=watch

Any interest in the Longford game ? not much talk on here about it. Can't afford to lose this one, the last thing we need is a seven point gap.

Our Brian wrote: »
    Any interest in the Longford game ? not much talk on here about it. Can't afford to lose this one, the last thing we need is a seven point gap.

Believe there will be the usual supporters club heading up to it

The usual few will head up alright. It's a massive game if we don't want Longford pulling away. Neither of us have been setting the league alight to be honest but if we put in a similar performance to the one in Tallaght I've no doubts we'll win. If Scully sets us out extra negative we will lose. We always do better away from home though which will keep me optimistic.

Still without Gamble, Sheehan, Foley and Derek O Brien as far as I know.

Any interest in the Longford game ? not much talk on here about it. .

Well iv stopped advertising Official SC buses on here cause theres no interest round these parts. :)

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Well iv stopped advertising Official SC buses on here cause theres no interest round these parts. :)

That's a pity they deserve more support, second in the league with a good chance of winning it, what more do people want.

• Advertisement

That's a pity they deserve more support, second in the league with a good chance of winning it, what more do people want.

What I mean is theres no point in advertising on these pages. Official SC overall has really taken off in the few months its been around. Support for it has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to twitter, Limerick beat Longford 2 -0, both scored by Behan.

Ya 2-0 limerick. 2 goals from Behan. Missed it myself but we just might be hitting a bit of form now. Hopefully we push on from here and Pat Purcell finally lift the league trophy.

Great result. 2 from Behan inside the first 30 minutes.
    Had Bradley sent off on the hour.
    Hats off to the fans who made the journey up.
    Hopefully we can push on from here.
    No game for the next 3 weeks now cos of the Euro's.

:):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Great result away from home.....

Come on city

Just back from the game,

It was a cracker of a game, we won 2-0 and really deserved our victory in the face of a shocking refereeing performance. The "honourable" Phil Caschera was a disgrace tonight...

Firstly he booked Stephan Bradley for "diving", after he'd been clearly fouled, then he gave him a second yellow for nothing, the Longford player dived after a challenge with a Limerick player which wasn't Stephan Bradley.

And to make matters worse Birmingham took a dive, we got the free for it, but where was his yellow...nowhere to be found.

He was going against his Linesmen, and giving corners that had no right to be corners, if I didn't know any better I'd reckon he was on the take.

But back to our fantastic performance,

Barry Ryan: Made some great saves, but had one scary moment when he nearly gifted Longford a goal.
    Corey Tracy: A little shakey at times, but overall played well and worked his shocks off
    Shane Tracy: Solid at the back, some lovely passing at times, never looked in trouble.
    Paddy "Superman" Purcell: Had a fantastic game, cleaned up at the back very well, loved his safety first approach tonight, just clear it away and no trying to play football with it.
    Shane Guthrie: Same as Paddy, but did get caught once or twice, but when he did, Tracy or Purcell cleaned up.
    Dave O'Leary: Man of the match display, he owed midfield and was all over the place breaking up play, tracking back, making tackles, giving good passes and spreading the play. Great in defence and going forward.
    Stephan Bradley: Great performance, until he was wrongly sent off. Very big part in the build up to one of our goals.
    James McGrath: Solid out wide, covered back brilliantly, especially when we were down to ten men.
    Sean Brosnan: By his standards he had a poor enough game, but he worked tirelessly and made some nice runs. But gave the away a little too much. Was later replaced by Stephan McGann
    Rory Gaffney: Played out of his skin, the Longford players were terrified of him, they didn't have the pace to deal with him. When he had the ball at his feet he ran at them and created opportunities for us. Deserved to get on the score sheet.
    Denis Behan: Scored twice, worked his shocks off...need I say more.

Stephan McGann Did well when he came, came on after we went down to ten. Helped our midfield be a little more solid. Had one really good long shot, just wide.

We played very well, after we went down to ten, we really pulled together. Defended as a team and covered every inch of the pitch, Longford couldn't break us down and we nearly caught them on the counter once with our ten men.

Massive result, great for goal difference as well. But the performance, the battling, the grit was fantastic to see, they seemed more like a team tonight in comparison to the Athlone game a few weeks back

• Advertisement

Great win, any chance we can play all our games away from home.

Great win, any chance we can play all our games away from home.

I'll ask Pat next time I see him:p

The other teams would love it, we bring a big crowd with us these days, earlier in the season we had 2/3 of the crowd at Marvue and last night we had 1/4 at least. The crowd last night was around 350/400 and at the last Longford game it was 230 I'm lead to believe.

Apparently bad news with regards to the markets field...

Rumours are doing the rounds that some council members may well be unhappy with proposed plans for its redevelopment...

If we don't get the stadium sorted we won't get a premier license...

If its true, for shame on any councillor who blocks this move. It is very much needed in this city for us to have our local football club playing top flight domestic football...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoghanstapo

Anyone know if limerick will be playing in market field next season i was looking it up there but all i got was articles from about a year ago talking about it being donated to limerick fc by JP and about plans to redevlop it into an 8,000 seater but has construction started or anything? The place has been left empty for the last 2 years as far as i know :pac::o oh and is there any money for it?

Anyone know if limerick will be playing in market field next season i was looking it up there but all i got was articles from about a year ago talking about it being donated to limerick fc by JP and about plans to redevlop it into an 8,000 seater but has construction started or anything? The place has been left empty for the last 2 years as far as i know :pac::o oh and is there any money for it?

Here is an article from last week...

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick-fc-s-return-to-spiritual-home-grows-closer-1-3927018

• Advertisement

The long and the short of it is the usual clowns are sticking their noses in just to get their pusses in the paper. They want Limerick FC (a bloody football team) to build the people of Garryowen a community centre because its a disgrace that they don't have one.

First of all Limerick FC said initially when looking to get back to the Markets Field that they would open it to the local community to use as kind of a community centre. Secondly their is only one reason the people have not got a community centre and that is because the usual gangsters that run this town have failed to supply it. For them to have the cheek to basically tell a football club that they must build a community centre and let them in on the plans or they will make life difficult for them stinks of under handed gangster stuff. Reading between the lines it is looks like a case of, give us our few bob to keep quiet or we will make it hard for Limerick FC.

Limerick FC is a private company who are trying to move back into their spiritual home. They will be turning what is currently an eyesore in Limerick into a state of the art facility for multiple sporting codes in Limerick to use. As usual though our lovely politicians want to make it as difficult as possible.

Did the IRFU or the GAA have to build the people of Clareview and Mayorstone a community centre or pass any apology to those people, they certainly did not.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/1725-minister-for-sport-considers-markets-field-issue.html

Going by the above article Limerick FC had involved many different associations in the move back. I don't see why those people should be involved in the specific building plans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoghanstapo

Thanks very much jesus thats a bit unfair to black mail limerick fc in building a comunity centre that hasnt really got anything to do with them? :/

Live football is back next Friday.

What better way to get over the disappointment of the Euro's than to get down to Jackman Park Friday night for some live football and to support your local club.

We are only one point behind Longford with them facing a tough trip to Donegal to face Finn Harps and we have a good footballing side in Wexofrd Youths coming to town. Its a great opportunity for us to go top pending on the other result.

Limerick FC vs Wexford Youths, Friday June 22nd 7:45pm, Jackman Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Hopefully they can reproduce those fine away performances at Jackman from now on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Monaghan are gone, so one team less to complete the premier division for the rest of the year. Interesting to see what that will mean for the promotion/relegation at the end of the season.

Have a feeling they will just put them down as the relegated team and leave it at that. Whoever finishes bottom now will most likely have a play off with the winner of 2nd vs 3rd in the first division.

Once again the FAI's Licensing system has failed.

It's just a pity the supposed "Greatest fans on earth" couldn't get out and support their local team and maybe this wouldn't be happening every season. If even half the "football" fans supporting Ireland in the euros got out and supported the League of Ireland then clubs would become more sustainable, the quality of player would rise, the standard of football would rise, facilities would get better and it would continue to have a knock on effect up to International football. Ireland is the only team in the whole tournament with no players plying their trade in their home country. Ireland is the only country also with such a poorly supported league. It's no coincidence we are the poorest team in it.

Sadly what happened Monaghan is just around the corner for most LOI teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

I think there are a few things that can be done to boost attendances at Loi games. Firstly €10 a game is an awful lot of money in these times. I think €5-6 is a more realistic figure, 600 people at €6 is worth more to the club than 300 @ €10. Another thing is the timing of the games. We switched to summer league football so as to not clash with English football. Why then are the majority of our games on a Friday when people are just getting home from work. This is probably what killed Monaghan, how many are going to take a half day off work to travel and not get home till all hours! Could we not try 3 O'Clock kick offs on the first Sunday after the English season ends and see can we get the barstoolers who are used to going to watch a match on Sunday's.

adaminho wrote: »
    I think there are a few things that can be done to boost attendances at Loi games. Firstly €10 a game is an awful lot of money in these times. I think €5-6 is a more realistic figure, 600 people at €6 is worth more to the club than 300 @ €10. Another thing is the timing of the games. We switched to summer league football so as to not clash with English football. Why then are the majority of our games on a Friday when people are just getting home from work. This is probably what killed Monaghan, how many are going to take a half day off work to travel and not get home till all hours! Could we not try 3 O'Clock kick offs on the first Sunday after the English season ends and see can we get the barstoolers who are used to going to watch a match on Sunday's.

In fairness even in these times 10euro is nothing for over an hour and a halves entertainment. A lot of people will spend 10euro in an hour or less down the pub and a lot more watching a game on telly in the pub. A lot of people will spend between 150-300euro to go over to one game in England or Scotland and for half that would get a whole seasons football here. Not to mention the money people spend on Merchandise etc….We get on average 500 people in the gate at 10 euro a head so I don't think that is the problem. Cinema, Bowling etc… are all around the same price and attending AIL Rugby matches is in line with it price wise.

Only recently a lad was telling me he was talking to a guy in watching the Ireland vs Spain game. The guy was slagging him cause he supported Limerick. The same fella turned around later in the night and said he doesn't support Sunderland but would fly over to watch one of their games to see McClean play. For only 10 euro 2 seasons ago the same lad could have just popped into Jackman Park and see James McClean playing for Derry City. The future stars of Ireland are playing in our league and for more to come through it needs to be supported.

I agree the times of kick offs aren't great but it isn't much hassle for most to get to Jackman park for 7:45. Munster have had games on a Friday night at 8pm and still got 14,000+. If games were on a Sunday they would clash with GAA. Personally I'd prefer matches to be played on a Saturday.

To be honest I have heard every excuse not to attend Limerick FC matches. First was they always lose….then they were winning a lot and it was the cost….then it was the weather….then it was the kick off time….then it was not enough local lads….then it was the local lads in the team are useless and not up to that standard so won't watch them. No matter what is done there is always an excuse one way or another.

At the end of the day we are a country of bandwagoners in every code be that Rugby, GAA or Football.

By the way I'm not having a dig at you adaminho, i'm just pointing out to various situations I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

tbh the quality of football played in Jackman park by Limerick fc is terrible, Im supporting Limerick all my life, and this year I have used the excuse they play terrible and stopped going to the home game, i was at the longford game 3 weeks ago and if Limerick play like that at home they will get 1000 people at every home games, Ive also said on other sites that I dont mind Limerick losing but bloody entertain me and that is some they were not doing at home. entertaining people.

Beaver1 wrote: »
    tbh the quality of football played in Jackman park by Limerick fc is terrible, Im supporting Limerick all my life, and this year I have used the excuse they play terrible and stopped going to the home game, i was at the longford game 3 weeks ago and if Limerick play like that at home they will get 1000 people at every home games, Ive also said on other sites that I dont mind Limerick losing but bloody entertain me and that is some they were not doing at home. entertaining people.

Couldn't agree with you more. On the road we have been far more impressive. Hopefully with the pitch improving having not being played on in a long time and the confidence boost from the win in Longford will mean we are a bit more attack minded and keep it on the deck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement