Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Adverts

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Remember the water safety ads? WHERE'S GRANDAD? sorry son,grandad is 2miles down the river. Also remember an ad about deaf or hard of hearing children where a stern looking nun bounced a ball beside an oblivious child's head.Then she shouted BA! in his ear from 2 inches away.lucky he couldn't hear her 'cos he would have **** himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Good one ek942.
    Also does anyone remember the Safe Cross Code ads? also with the one about the kid running across the road but the view was obstructed by the car, but in the replay they tell eveyone to look under the obstructing car and you'll see the kids feet.
    Does anyone remember the Dont Drink ad with the fella in the leather jacket saying something like "We would get a flaggin' of cider and we'd get locked"? Late 70s or early 80s stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

sorry if its been mentioned before, yer wan going under the waterfall, the Cadburys Flake ad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happydude26

ok i need help so bad.does anyone remember an old advert for i think it was ketchup an the baby tomato was like i dont wanna go in the bottle and the mother tomato goes you have to all your friends are there.its actually wrecking my head so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Haha this thread is 5 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Holy Zombie thread resurrection Batman!!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happydude26

well im new an i dunno how to start new threads so i figured id just put one up here....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Orangutani

whiskeyman wrote: »
    brilliant ad!
    ya catch my drift?

I think I mentioned that on some other ad thread.
    There's a new forum now - advertising/marketing in the Biz section. Might be worth getting more ad discussions there :)

That Heinz ad was brilliant. I think they had a whole range of ads pushing that theme.

It's on youtube! "YO, SKIN, LIL BLOOD!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwe_c8yY8Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

" we are dealing with one serious individual ! "

tbh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martinosullivan

lazygit wrote: »
    ??
    I think I'm going back
    To the things I learnt so well in my youth
    I think I'm returning to
    Those days when I was young enough to know the truth
    Now there are no games
    To only pass the time
    No more colouring books
    No Christmas bells to chime
    But thinking young and growing older is no sin
    And I can't play the game of life to win

is this the tune from it?

Dusty Springfield - Goin' Back.

https:// www. youtube.com/watch?v=XvWiiUgT8Nk

It is strange the power of that advert to bring back memories. Ireland has changed a lot in the intervening years.

I remember also the adverts on RTE for HIV prevention. of course they were preaching abstinence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I remember also the adverts on RTE for HIV prevention. of course they were preaching abstinence.

1987:

2007:

I must admit,I thought the older scarier ones were better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Christ, that is one scary ad!

Personally prefer formal sex to casual sex. White tie, top hat & tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martinosullivan

Personally prefer formal sex to casual sex. White tie, top hat & tails.

It was all the church would let them post at the time. Up until that, official Ireland denied that there was a HIV problem in Ireland.

Whilst I generally hate advertising, it does give you an incite to the society of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Still,neither the Irish or British ones are a patch on these:

America:

Australia:

AIDS and HIV ads were the terror of my childhood,but looking back on them now I feel that they had no option but to scare people into stopping the spread and being more careful-and giving people something to think about.The scare tactic can actually work for the better in all other situations too and some of these PSAs should be brought back for other things too,not just AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat.

or that smarmy little blonde brat "the milky bars are on me!"]

You mean,the Milkybar Kid? "The Milkbar Kid is strong and tough and only the best is good enough! The creamiest milk and the whitest bar! The good taste that's in Milkybar!"

Does anyone remember an advert for Dairylea from around the mid 1990s where a kid was sitting on top of a wooden fence with an arm around a football. He jumps down......straight into a mucky puddle.

We then hear something ripping and then a surprised yelp from the kid as he is then chased by a dog. There is another sound of something ripping and the boy then appears again, this time panting and with his clothes covered with dirt and also slightly torn.

It was under the "Kids Will Do Anything For Dairylea!" slogan. It all happens behind the fence so you don't really see what actually happens but you see the end result when the kid reappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

So many Dairylea adverts! This is the one I remember most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Hey up toffee crisp..what a lot for one and six

Ruu wrote: »
    So many Dairylea adverts! This is the one I remember most.

yeah. I remember that one. That was from around 1990/1991 i think.

Ruu wrote: »
    So many Dairylea adverts!]

yes indeed Ruu! I suppose the one I'm looking for is probably a bit like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack! But as far as I can remember, it deffinately DOES exist!

Am also looking for an advert for Persil washing powder (I think!). The advert showed some clothes on a clothes, obviously having already just been washed. The camera then pans slowly across from left to right and we then hear various audio clips of the family members getting their clothes dirty in various different awkward and messy situations:

(1) A mother and her child: A mother notices her child playing with their food: "Oh no! Don't play with your food! Oh no! Don't put your sleeve in it! Ohh! You have!!"

(2) Some kids come running into the kitchen, their clothes absolutely filthy: Kids giggling. Mother (shouting at them): "Out!!"

Can't really remember much more about it. Hope someone else can!

• Advertisement
Advertisement