Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic or manual!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Automatic would be best for city centre driving, where it's always stop and start.
    Manual is fine for motorways, where it's constant crusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Funny how far we've come in a way; people looked at you like you had two heads if you said you drove an automatic in Ireland ten years ago.

It's hard to find a mid-executive car now that isn't automatic.

Automatic all the way in cars that make Automatic correctly i.e. Audi/Volkswagen/BMW which I've driven but wouldn't be rushing to put an Automatic gear system in a Smart car any time soon as can't imagine the technology being great...loads of lag etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Automatic all the way in cars that make Automatic correctly i.e. Audi/Volkswagen/BMW which I've driven but wouldn't be rushing to put an Automatic gear system in a Smart car any time soon as can't imagine the technology being great...loads of lag etc

This the thing, even Smart cars, Twingos now have dual-clutch gearboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Funny how far we've some in a way; people looked at you like you had two heads if you said you drove an automatic in Ireland ten years ago.

Ive always noticed , even 7 years ago when I bought my first car (an automatic) the only people who ever scoffed at it were people who had never driven one.

I can understand wanting a manual for something track day worthy or a classic as its less hassle maintaining them , but for your daily , especially if you do city driving , a manual is a complete waste of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Funny how far we've some in a way; people looked at you like you had two heads if you said you drove an automatic in Ireland ten years ago.

Go onto carzone, the majority of Audi A6s for sale are manual. BMW 5 Series and Merc E Class are the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Odd, what's the reason for that do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

Could it be a bad rep inherited from the multitronic CVT gearbox? I presumed they had stopped using it at this stage though.

Probably the same reason the majority of A6s are fwd too, owners don't care about either much.

To be fair multitronic box doesn't have a great reputation for reliability and S-tronic (DSG) only became widely available when the current model was facelifted last year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a6 list price is 45 , to get an auto is 47 , the 520d is 47k the 2k in reality is nothing but yet again we're in a country where people pay 45k to avoid 200 quid in motor tax.

Id say its purely down to it being standard, you'd have to specifically order a manual 520d , whereas the a6 is on the forecourt in manual . if they made auto a no cost option and had a bunch of them sitting on the forecourt people would change . But as it is "2 grand so i don't have to change gears, shtop your nonsense"

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more down to the customer. They probably think of an auto A6 in the same light as a rwd or quattro A6, majority of owners don't want or don't care about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Manual for me :) I feel in control and concentrate more when having to change gears. it's manly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

So far nobody has mentioned that modern manual boxes are cheaper, more reliable, easier to service, rebuild and replace.

So there, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Superwofy wrote: »
    So far nobody has mentioned that modern manual boxes are cheaper, more reliable, easier to service, rebuild and replace.

So there, I said it.

Seems this thread is full of auto drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye auto driver here too. For many years actually.
    While I really like cars and engines and all that stuff driving itself was never a sport or a passion of mine. I don't need the control or whatever else the manual enthusiasts will tell you they need their manual for. My gf thinks I drive too fast (not really) but its more impatience than anything else. If i want some good clean motor fun I'll bring my enduro for a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

While I've loved our automatics when they go wrong you can end up bending over at the dealers or rebuilders and there are very few to be found in scrapyards. Traditional automatics can be much less economical too, (some of that can be offset by the price of clutch and dual mass flywheel replacement)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I've switched to auto and the wife drives an auto too. Don't see myself changing tbh but I do want to get a nice Sunday car like an Evo or Smth.

No dmf trouble with auto boxes either if they're maintained, that's an instant saving of 2-3k every 80-100kmiles. I've a 4x4 and find out much better for towing and off road. Constant traction is another advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

carzony wrote: »
    Manual for me :) I feel in control and concentrate more when having to change gears. it's manly :P

And Womanly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I like both. I hate when they're applied in the wrong places.

Anyone here ever drive a car with a sequential box and straight cut gears :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Anyone here ever drive a car with a sequential box and straight cut gears :D:D:D

Yes, but it had a non-standard complement of wheels and wasn't in fact a car, strictly speaking. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm driving for 17 years and until 4 months ago I always drove a manual. I've a problem with my left knee dislocating. The Dr showed me how to put it back in myself and then after a few months I had to have to have an op where they broke my knee and tightened tendons on one side and lengthened them on the other. This made using a clutch painful on a long drive. City driving wasn't much fun either especially at traffic lights. Bought an Audi A6 with S-tronic auto a few months ago and it's been great.
    The driving experience isn't as involving as in a manual but the gear changes are flawless. Can't see myself ever going back to manual as my knee is so happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

while autos are more comfortable for city driving etc they're also moronically stupid about picking gears, especially when cold, and for that reason alone I want to go back to manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Yeah..with straight cut and helical cut gears, but not in the same car..;)

Love auto, I'm old and lazy..the work car/van is manual so get enough of that during the week , the 'family' car is auto and if I ever feel the need (which I don't) to do it for myself I can use the paddles, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

while autos are more comfortable for city driving etc they're also moronically stupid about picking gears, especially when cold, and for that reason alone I want to go back to manual.

As a matter of interest what car was that? If it's a modern dual clutch then sounds like something wrong with it.

Modern dual clutch boxes are years ahead of the old tip tronic boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

auto every time particularly city driving

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think that's why most taxi drivers have them. I have driven the MILs auto and it's very nippy and pleasure to drive. Would think about an auto if i ever get a new car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Which cars are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

Depends on the Auto really.. Some auto boxes are slow and jumpy while others are quick and smooth.. I'd have a good Auto box over a manual any day for everyday driving..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

6 speed manual with a crisp short shift. Hard to beat in my current chariot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In an ideal world I'd have two cars, one fire breathing monster for driving fun which would be manual. And then something small/tiny for city driving, a fast smart car would do. This could be auto.

Advertisement