Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Autosport wrote: »
    I have the V 40 and it's great on fuel, full tank I get 2 weeks driving out of it :)

How much mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What kind of mileage do you do??

Sometimes I go the new road....
    Other times I go by southern yemen... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Have it 4 weeks and have just over 2500kms on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm getting married after Christmas, I have no idea what I'll do for wedding cars tbh

Surprisingly wedding cars are like wedding bands in that they book out very early!

If you want something nice but reasonable motor park do good rates on self drive(transfer your insurance over). They usually offer something like a 5series. Very reasonable to deal with

Have it 4 weeks and have just over 2500kms on it.

That's some good fuel economy so!

I've averaged by first fill in the Focus at about 7.6 litres / 100 km. Booting it around the place probably doesn't help :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Pov06 wrote: »
    That's some good fuel economy so!

I've averaged by first fill in the Focus at about 7.6 litres / 100 km. Booting it around the place probably doesn't help :pac:

When I had the petrol I wouldn't get a week out of a full tank that's why I changed to diesel and I kinda get sick of the anti diesel people here

When I had the petrol I wouldn't get a week out of a full tank that's why I changed to diesel and I kinda get sick of the anti diesel people here

I've a 1.8 diesel but I think I need to change my driving if I want decent mileage :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I read that Volvo were claiming something like 60mpg but people were getting closer to 40.
    Wouldn't put me off anyway as that's what the accord is giving me.
    Boot wise it seemed smaller than the Honda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

As far as I'm lead to believe (and I'm open to correction, of course, as I'm most likely wrong), doing a diesel remap will give better results than a petrol engine in terms of extra torque for taking off or overtaking, and better mpg.

Its also apparently better for making the car a tad more comfortable and refined to drive in the lower gears.

How true this is, I don't know. People say better mpg but no one seems to give any thing more accurate or precise than that. So I'd presume mpg figures are barely noticeably better, but if keeping a car for a few years and racking up a fair bit of mileage, the mpg difference might not actually save you any money ultimately, but it Will make your car a happier place to be.

Again, could be a million miles off bit that's what I am lead to believe (apologies if someone has already addressed this, using the phone and haven't caught up on the whole thread yet).

For me to remap a car, though, would require an established and reputable business to do it for me, who will stand over their work and who I can feel confident did a decent job.

I wouldn't like to DIY it.

I'm toying with the idea of getting my 1.6 diesel civic remapped... Apparently they can get 156bhp up from the standard 118 bhp.. Celtic tuning in UK offering the service... What would be the main concern? I'm probably too conservative to get it done.. Car only a year old..
    Cheers
    Mick

I'm toying with the idea of getting my 1.6 diesel civic remapped... Apparently they can get 156bhp up from the standard 118 bhp.. Celtic tuning in UK offering the service... What would be the main concern? I'm probably too conservative to get it done.. Car only a year old..
    Cheers
    Mick

More wear on the clutch and DMF would be my main concern. These parts were designed to handle 118 bhp or whatever your stock power is and by remapping you could speed up wear drastically, especially on the DMF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Also bye bye warranty if they spot it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

More wear on the clutch and DMF would be my main concern. These parts were designed to handle 118 bhp or whatever your stock power is and by remapping you could speed up wear drastically, especially on the DMF.

My guess is that most wear on the clutch is on driving off and maybe a bit changing gear. Most people who have their car remapped don't do so to win the traffic light grand prix, but to have a bit more oomph for accelerating and overtaking. So unless you leave rubber at every traffic light, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I've a 1.8 diesel but I think I need to change my driving if I want decent mileage :P

Something not right. I've a 1.8 TDCI Cmax (2006) and I don't drive exactly slow. I get around 48 MPG, 5.9 l/100 km.
    What year is it?

My guess is that most wear on the clutch is on driving off and maybe a bit changing gear. Most people who have their car remapped don't do so to win the traffic light grand prix, but to have a bit more oomph for accelerating and overtaking. So unless you leave rubber at every traffic light, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Well driving sharply in general would do it.

E.g changing gear sharply and dumping the clutch (not letting the clutch pedal out slowly) and planting your foot could cause more wear due to increased power/torque output.
    Something not right. I've a 1.8 TDCI Cmax (2006) and I don't drive exactly slow. I get around 48 MPG, 5.9 l/100 km.
    What year is it?

2008. I have done about 420 miles so far after a full tank refill and the fuel light is currently on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Shurre just drive in reverse for afew days to repair the clutch hai

Shurre just drive in reverse for afew days to repair the clutch hai

Welded diff? Fcuk that.

Welded clutch all the way. She never shtops :pac:

Well driving sharply in general would do it.

E.g changing gear sharply and dumping the clutch (not letting the clutch pedal out slowly) and planting your foot could cause more wear due to increased power/torque output.

Well, yes, it all depends on driving style. :cool:

The Focus, definitely not right. Mine had that kind of consumption at some stage. A hose going from the intercooler to the inlet manifold had burst, that's the only time I managed to use more than 7 liters per 100 km. It also had unholy smoke on acceleration and showed an engine management fault.
    On the way to work I drive mostly motorway, going around 130-140 and on the way back I drive backroad and it's usually spirited driving. I have found it near impossible (and by that I mean I never managed it) to get it to use more than 6 liters and the Cmax is a heavy thing.

Well, yes, it all depends on driving style. :cool:

The Focus, definitely not right. Mine had that kind of consumption at some stage. A hose going from the intercooler to the inlet manifold had burst, that's the only time I managed to use more than 7 liters per 100 km. It also had unholy smoke on acceleration and showed an engine management fault.
    On the way to work I drive mostly motorway, going around 130-140 and on the way back I drive backroad and it's usually spirited driving. I have found it near impossible (and by that I mean I never managed it) to get it to use more than 6 liters and the Cmax is a heavy thing.

Yeah mine doesn't smoke at all and pulls like a train so I don't think it's a burst hose.

I will try and change the fuel filter. The only thing that's putting me off is that there is no manual priming pump and I need to buy a hand-operated vacuum pump to pull the air out of the fuel system.

Apparently people have succeeded in just filling the filter housing with diesel but at the same time there are people who had problems getting the car running again after changing the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Its just the new car thing, you'll settle in after having fun for a while :)

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Its just the new car thing, you'll settle in after having fun for a while :)

Too Focused on making her boo and coo :pac:

Yeah mine doesn't smoke at all and pulls like a train so I don't think it's a burst hose.

I will try and change the fuel filter. The only thing that's putting me off is that there is no manual priming pump and I need to buy a hand-operated vacuum pump to pull the air out of the fuel system.

Apparently people have succeeded in just filling the filter housing with diesel but at the same time there are people who had problems getting the car running again after changing the filter.

Vacuum pump all the way. Its a hoor of a job getting it going otherwise.
    Its a good investment, I always found it handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Welded diff? Fcuk that.

Welded clutch all the way. She never shtops :pac:

I've seen some numpties welding the springs up on a pressure plate, to make a terrible attempt at a race clutch... With fun consequences!

Also, ya no nothing about coooooos and boooooooos ;) oh goodness the sound of the veh-icle after its jiggery pokery earlier :D

What are your thoughts of Wix fuel filters? They are about half the price of a MANN or MAHLE filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

What are your thoughts of Wix fuel filters? They are about half the price of a MANN or MAHLE filter.

No problems to report, have used them on the panzer wagons in the past without any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

What's up with people turning on high beams before they have passed you? It seems to happen quite often and it's very annoying.

Illustration below, excuse the quality. :P

OhPrz3g.png

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    What's up with people turning on high beams before they have passed you? It seems to happen quite often and it's very annoying.

Illustration below, excuse the quality. :P

Stupidity I guess. Haven't noticed it myself.

One thing worse is when you're on a back road with full beams and there's a car right behind you and they are also using full beams :mad:

Stupidity I guess. Haven't noticed it myself.

One thing worse is when you're on a back road with full beams and there's a car right behind you and they are also using full beams :mad:

"Hey look, that guy in front is using high beams so I will too." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sure if we're talking lighting..

"Why is that guy in front of me braking, he's nearly stopped at this point"

Only then, does an indicator appear. Might as well not bother now that you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Probably no harm to through an air filter into it as well. A clean air filter works wonders runs better and improves mpg manufactures are so busy upping the intervals for them they are hardly ever changed. I think renaults interval for my Meganes air filter is 90k km where the fcuk would you be going with 90k km 30k km is more than long enough to leave it in it.

In other news I had great plans to get a really early night as I'm wrecked 5 minutes before I was going to bed got a call to go to new Ross so only back from there. One thing I noticed was some amount of cars with all blown lights on one side as well as ones with blown dips on one side. I suppose people are so use to the brightness of the summer not that that's an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Half dead after today. Poor heart was nearly gone. Anyway, today's transport, complete with the essential flag!

2a7zi2o.png

• Advertisement

^^ You don't want people to see the reg plate doesn't say MO? :D

Sure if we're talking lighting..

"Why is that guy in front of me braking, he's nearly stopped at this point"

Only then, does an indicator appear. Might as well not bother now that you're there.

THIS. I dunno why they even bother indicating at that point. By the time they flick it on you already figure out what they will do next.

They should really indicate a few seconds before braking so you know to let off the accelerator.

GvidoR wrote:
    ^^ You don't want people to see the reg plate doesn't say MO?

It's not MO actually :P

Can't be having free advertisement around here, the county reg on the bus would surely give away the company! Hah

It's not MO actually :P

That's kinda what I said.

GvidoR wrote:
    That's kinda what I said.

Oh ya, sorry, misread what ya said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This MX 5 ad

he says "Car is like brand new" .....but whats with the final photo showing the front missing :confused:

Vacuum pump all the way. Its a hoor of a job getting it going otherwise.
    Its a good investment, I always found it handy to have.

Ordered a vacuum primer pump in the end. Hopefully it goes well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fryup wrote: »
    This MX 5 ad

he says "Car is like brand new" .....but whats with the final photo showing the front missing :confused:

It's showing no crash damage to the front. The chassis is straight and no creases are visible in the crumple zone. But it is a silly picture...

^^^^^^^^

nice example of an MX 5 all the same

^^^^^^^^^^^^

wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's showing no crash damage to the front. The chassis is straight and no creases are visible in the crumple zone. But it is a silly picture...

I'd say it's an owners forum type thing. The way E46 M3 owners show the rear sub frame, MX5 owners show the front.

I'd say it's an owners forum type thing. The way E46 M3 owners show the rear sub frame, MX5 owners show the front.

True true!

Those MX5's really go for small money. Must keep an eye out...

True true!

Those MX5's really go for small money. Must keep an eye out...

I'd prefer the 1st gen one, with pop up headlights.

Headlights go up... headlights go down...

16791599-8719-443d-861f-3b9a72e21d4d.gif

(I know this is not MX5)

Yeah they're lovely. But realistically finding a good one that you can insure is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah they're lovely. But realistically finding a good one that you can insure is the problem.

And one that is not rusted like an old barge. Since I wont be importing due to the weak euro I might look at getting an MX5 as a 2nd car. I would have that one that was posted if I was ready to buy, If it was a 1st gen then it would have to be blue, like Cian_Ryan's one.

What year is it?

Doh! When I calculated fuel consumption in my head I used the price I paid for the tank (55 euro) as the amount of litres used so it threw my calculations off.

Just filled up. The average is 6.8 l / 100 km with a heavy foot on mostly back road driving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bear1 wrote: »
    Lads, opinions. Took a look at a 11 V70 drive diesel today. Really liked it and had lovely spec - heated front and rear seats, fantastic leather seats, sunroof etc just missing the sat nav.
    Now I had absolutely no intention of another Volvo but this one really got me thinking about one.
    Does anyone have one and what is their opinions on them? I read the fuel economy isn't great though.

Don't think the D3 was ever designated as a DriveE engine. It's the 5 cylinder 2.0 engine, which is pretty reliable up to 200,000km ish. It's much better to drive than the older 2.0 140ps (Ford/PSA) diesel, but still lacking a little bit. If there's a polestar upgrade available, that takes it up to 205ps and would make it much nicer to drive (as well as being a factory approved remap).

Wouldn't be concerned about the lack of Nav, as it's not a great system anyway. I'm waiting on a new E-Class coming in to replace a 2011 D3 Auto that I've driven a good few times and it's a great motor, just lacking that little bit of extra power.

Ordered a vacuum primer pump in the end. Hopefully it goes well :)

Let me know how you get on, maybe PM me (I promise nothing! ;)) if you get stuck.
    The last time I did it I undid the return fuel line from the high pressure pump, (I'll post a pic when I have time), hooked up the pump, gave it a few good pumps and you could hear the fuel sloshing through the system. It does help if you fill up the filter anyway. She started after 2-3 goes. Some fuel spillage from return line possible.
    If I remember correctly I once had a mid 80's diesel Escort with the granddaddy of this engine in it. When it ran out, it just started again, I have no idea why Ford decided to make it so much more difficult. An early 80's Merc I had had a manual pump which did the job. But all in all this is not a big fault in an otherwise very reliable car. Just don't run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. :p;)

It is also possible to just change the filter and noodle it back into life, but that could take half an hour and run your battery down twice. :rolleyes:

Let me know how you get on, maybe PM me (I promise nothing! ;)) if you get stuck.
    The last time I did it I undid the return fuel line from the high pressure pump, (I'll post a pic when I have time), hooked up the pump, gave it a few good pumps and you could hear the fuel sloshing through the system. It does help if you fill up the filter anyway. She started after 2-3 goes. Some fuel spillage from return line possible.
    If I remember correctly I once had a mid 80's diesel Escort with the granddaddy of this engine in it. When it ran out, it just started again, I have no idea why Ford decided to make it so much more difficult. An early 80's Merc I had had a manual pump which did the job. But all in all this is not a big fault in an otherwise very reliable car. Just don't run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. :p;)

It is also possible to just change the filter and noodle it back into life, but that could take half an hour and run your battery down twice. :rolleyes:

I bought the Haynes manual for this car and it just says to disconnect the return (out) line from the fuel filter housing and pump it until clear diesel squirts out.

Should be fine with a vacuum pump. I was hoping to it without a vacuum pump but I don't want to end up having to run the battery flat and have to jump it whilst trying to get the air out :D

• Advertisement

I bought the Haynes manual for this car and it just says to disconnect the return (out) line from the fuel filter housing and pump it until clear diesel squirts out.

Should be fine with a vacuum pump. I was hoping to it without a vacuum pump but I don't want to end up having to run the battery flat and have to jump it whilst trying to get the air out :D

Almost. I saw the guys at Ford do it, they actually undo the fuel return pipe from the high pressure pump back to the tank, not from the fuel filter. They also used an electric pump, but that's not strictly necessary.
    That way fuel gets drawn through the entire system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement