Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War Thunder

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont play much tier 5 jets (never reallly interested me) but I hear on the wt grape vine that the mig 15 got a big buff and all the meteors got shuffled down to make way for the hunter and venom to be their main opponent.

edit: also check your crew skills, if you are flying jets at tier V with relatively low crew skills you might find them difficult to control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can anyone tell me how Premium works when you get the X days from the bundles is it's to be applied or if I get it now it's starts straight away?

Playing on Console and PC but the account is a Playstation so I'm one of the * crowd.

Varik wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how Premium works when you get the X days from the bundles is it's to be applied or if I get it now it's starts straight away?

Playing on Console and PC but the account is a Playstation so I'm one of the * crowd.

it starts straight away

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    it starts straight away

Well that sucks.

welcome to free to play mmos...

welcome to free to play mmos...

Some stuff was on sale but didn't have the time to make anything of the premium time right now so will wait till next time, not really having any issue progressing so no real issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Sorry to necro an old thread but this game is still going i guess, in fact I started it last week. Really enjoying it so far - only unlocked one new plane - the hurricane, but so far having alot of fun. Playing with HOTAS and I have ordered an Oculus Rift, which is why I started playing it. Leveling up a little before playing it in VR.

Is Hotas a disadvantage - if mouse is just point and shoot that sounds like it could be alot easier. Not that i will change - HOTAS is alot more fun i guess even if a disadvantage.

any tips for beginners? Should i ignore ground targets until i get a bomber? which armed forces should i focus on (currently doing UK).

Since i am using hotas should i be thinking about realistic battles instead of arcade - I have avoided realistic so far on the basis that i will get crucified trying that while i am still getting to grips with the game. As i understand it mouse controls would be a disadvantage in realistic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've never touched the planes, I stick to being a ground target, but from the videos I've seen, realistic is almost another game entirely and best avoided until you're more experienced, as it's fairly unforgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Fian wrote: »
    Sorry to necro an old thread but this game is still going i guess, in fact I started it last week. Really enjoying it so far - only unlocked one new plane - the hurricane, but so far having alot of fun. Playing with HOTAS and I have ordered an Oculus Rift, which is why I started playing it. Leveling up a little before playing it in VR.

Is Hotas a disadvantage - if mouse is just point and shoot that sounds like it could be alot easier. Not that i will change - HOTAS is alot more fun i guess even if a disadvantage.

any tips for beginners? Should i ignore ground targets until i get a bomber? which armed forces should i focus on (currently doing UK).

Since i am using hotas should i be thinking about realistic battles instead of arcade - I have avoided realistic so far on the basis that i will get crucified trying that while i am still getting to grips with the game. As i understand it mouse controls would be a disadvantage in realistic.

HOTAS is great in sim, not so much in arcade/realistic battles. I use HOTAS with pedals and TrackIR 5, but you just cant compete with mouse and keyboard in realistic battles. Warthunder sim is fine, the combat is a lot of fun, but if you want something a bit better try DCS (Normandy) or IL2.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »

Sim is where you'll want to go to play in VR and HOTAS.

Which is not terrible, unlike arcade and realistic, Sim aircraft is done via rooms instead of a matchmaker, so its easier to find a group of people and play with them.

There are also 2 modes in sim aircraft

one plays on the same maps as realistic and you bring one plane each out of line up.

The other is called Enduring confrontation and the maps are massive and you can respawn as much as you want as long as you have enough silver to pay for repairs.

Both modes have their benefits and flaws. Enduring confrontation feels closer to games like IL2 and DCS as it's an open battlefield so you could find yourself flying for quite some time before you engage or are engaged by enemies. But if you like planes like bombers and attackers it feels better suited for them. While the other mode is much more focused on dogfighting.

(wiki: https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Simulator_Battles)

I like sim war thunder and I play it with my HTC vive in sim which is genuinely a lot of fun. And of all the sim games War Thunder is the most forgiving and easiest to learn how to play in sim.

BUT

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad handles VR a hell of a lot better, so if you are willing to spend money and willing to put time in to learn how to fly properly I'd recommend considering it.

War Thunder's graphics are a bit of a mixed bag with VR in terms of scaling which they've yet to resolve, IL2 works almost perfectly in VR though.

Though of all the games War Thunder does have the biggest selection of planes.

I've been playing it since 2013 and have pretty much all of them so I love playing VR War Thunder purely for the variety of planes I can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

BUT

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad handles VR a hell of a lot better, so if you are willing to spend money and willing to put time in to learn how to fly properly I'd recommend considering it.

Thanks, will grab that too so, though not immediately i guess I will have plenty to keep me going when rift arrives before i need to start looking for new games. Have elite dangerous to play too, and i have most of the best ships in that game already in hangar.

If anyone had gotten as far as tier 3 tanks but gave up due to the grind I'd recommend revisiting the game, patch last week was a massive economic patch for ground forces and cut the research and cost by almost half for most of the vehicles in tiers 3-5. I got my tier 5 T54 from 0 to complete since the patch hit last thursday to today.

Have repair cost come down there.

Got a few rank 4s on ground but never really played them much. Aced a few but generally went back to playing rank 3, as a few bad rank 4 games would cost a lot.

Varik wrote: »
    Have repair cost come down there.

Got a few rank 4s on ground but never really played them much. Aced a few but generally went back to playing rank 3, as a few bad rank 4 games would cost a lot.

For the most part yes, mods and repairs are down as well.

There is a google doc of the changes here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vR_be1BWVikO-BkRuOWjn_wBIvFl2eRTOuDaKzTcii3ogGIzRIZzsrC0P050-B521MbOKLxMjuYL_8C/pubhtml#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

thank god it was a crazy grind. i had all german tanks unlocked at one stage when i was playing it 24/7 but couldnt face starting another country .

• Advertisement
Advertisement