Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People With Lots of Academic Qualifications

• 03-05-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

There I was a guy I was chatting to a few weeks ago whose academic acheivements looked like this on paper:

BA, MSc, Ma, HDip, PGCert, PhD (provisional)

He actually had two PGCerts but I believe that you only write it down once on paper! As if that wasn't enough he was also halfway through his PhD!! In fairness that guy was well into his 40's so he must have worked at some point in his life but it's still an outrageous selection. I mean is it really necessary to have that many?!!

I also know a fair few people who have multiple masters etc. So what the most (academically) qualified person you've ever met?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know a few McD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I've done my junior cert.

So that makes me a JC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

piby wrote: »
    PhD

Teehee, you said a dirty word!! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hahaha.
    BA.
    Pffft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

is this guy in his forties? has he spent the last 20 years in college just to get all those qualifications? and now he comes out into a recession. figures :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

There I was a guy I was chatting to a few weeks ago whose academic acheivements looked like this on paper:

Looks like a lot of college lecturers/professors to me.
    He actually had two PGCerts but I believe that you only write it down once on paper! As if that wasn't enough he was also halfway through his PhD!! In fairness that guy was well into his 40's so he must have worked at some point in his life but it's still an outrageous selection. I mean is it really necessary to have that many?!!

I also know a fair few people who have multiple masters etc. So what the most (academically) qualified person you've ever met?

From that list, he has clearly been working all his life, being an academic is a job, one of the most important jobs imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I shared a house with a Guy once that had never worked a day in his life, he was in his last 30's and was forever going to college, he told me he would never be able to get a job because he was over qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

PGCert? Hah!

I once had full sex with a woman. That must make me at least a 16Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm BCorpL, LLB, LLM, AITI,

And I'm 27 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PhD (provisional)

Can he drive on his own with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

whiteman19 wrote: »
    is this guy in his forties? has he spent the last 20 years in college just to get all those qualifications? and now he comes out into a recession. figures :rolleyes:

not necessarily

plenty people do part time courses/research while working to add to their qualifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Can he drive on his own with that?

No he has to be accompanied by a fully qualified PhD until he passes his viva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Oh I've met a few.... and the majority I've met are social monks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

stepbar wrote: »

Better than antisocial ones i suppose.

Was that Maynooth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm BCorpL, LLB, LLM, AITI,

And I'm 27 ;)

In the words of Andy Gray; take a boo son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Master Lonad Esq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

sam34 wrote: »
    not necessarily

plenty people do part time courses/research while working to add to their qualifications

That's true alright but even excluding those who study on the side, I really don't get this attitude that they are somehow stuck in college their whole life or that they don't have a "job". Phd students/postdocs, guess what, they get paid for that, it is a job. Lecturers might be viewed more as job holders to the general public than the postgrads/postdocs below them but their teaching is a very small part of what they do, they are basically a higher rank of student. Studying and research is one of the most fundamental jobs there is, the most important I think.
    stepbar wrote: »

Well that's nonsense, I would think quite the opposite, anyone with that many qualifications is generally always lecturing, giving talks/presentations, presenting conferences on a grand scale, they're hardly shy and retiring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BSc = Bullshít
    Msc = More Shít
    PhD = Piled higher and deeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Anyone explain to me what a postgrad primary degree is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Seloth wrote: »

Only if you tell me what a tracker mortgage is. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thats nuffin OP. A sister of mine is a consultant in anesthetics and has 27 letters after her name. Signing cheques requires more than the alphabet can offer :D

I myself have a lot of letters after my name but only because I'm great. In fact I'm so great that I think I should get both of the parachutes:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

"More degrees than a thermometer" - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My Dad has got loads of letters after his name, he has done so many masters courses, many of them paid for by his work because they were relevant qualifications. He also guest lectures on occasion. My brother, however, went straight from his undergrad into a PhD and is graduating this week, which makes him higher up than my Dad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seloth wrote: »

The 11-plus? I think they scrapped that a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Can get many qualifications while working. It's always good to learn, plus if you are interested in a subject why not?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I remember in school thinking that if one pursued a Phd s/he had to be a real genius and the idea was you needed to contribute something completely new and amazing to your field of study.

Then I got to college and realised any auld eejit with a 2h1/time can do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

RATM wrote: »
    Thats nuffin OP. A sister of mine is a consultant in anesthetics and has 27 letters after her name. Signing cheques requires more than the alphabet can offer :D

I myself have a lot of letters after my name but only because I'm great. In fact I'm so great that I think I should get both of the parachutes:pac:
    wtf does she sign her name with, alphabet soup?

YOu do know you're allowed to use the same letter more than once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

BSc = Bullshít
    Msc = More Shít
    PhD = Piled higher and deeper
    Is that what your manager told you when you had no customers to serve in burger king?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Congrats on not understanding academia OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I often wonder if I should have bothered with a BA. Work experience seems to be valued just as much.

Advertisement