Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italians moving to Ireland. Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We all know the Mafia are taking lessons from our professional gangland criminals. They are hiding their arms and money in friendly looking chippers and seducing us with their food. Gotta give them more credit!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Alot of them would be students studying here, or people who come to learn English I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Four-Too wrote: »
    Italians are only good at making spaghetti and pastas - it's insanity! Blasphemy!

And making wines, building The Colloseum, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, growing the worlds best olives, building Venizia, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, providing the world with the genius of Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelanglo, Modigliani, Carrivaggio, Bottechelli, Paganini, Rossini, Guiliani, gave the world the Ferarri, the Lambourgini and amongst many, many other dishes, that don't even involve pasta, Pizza!

And much more.

Only good at making pasta, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

... and the beauty incarnate of Monica Bellucci.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Steve wrote: »

Maybe if they spoke reeeaaallllyy slllloooowww Italian.. or their equivalent of "Waat-a time-a is-a it-a..? :D
    I think that's "When's-a your Dolmio Day?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Orizio wrote: »
    No, Italy is a properly corrupt country, Ireland has just flirted with it. There really is no comparsion between the two, and if you think there is I strongly suggest reading about Italian politics circa the late 80s/early 90s.

Just flirted with corruption..why are all our banks worthless then but we still have the same government? Our government gave the regulator of those banks 500,000 Euro and a pension....not to go too far off the point but Ireland is seen as similar to Italy these days by many foreign govts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

maninasia wrote: »
    Just flirted with corruption..why are all our banks worthless then but we still have the same government? Our government gave the regulator of those banks 500,000 Euro and a pension....not to go too far off the point but Ireland is seen as similar to Italy these days by many foreign govts.

Nope. Ireland has a LONG way to go to get even as close to Italy. It may seem to someone living in Ireland that the Gov is bad and corrupt but not when compared to certain other places in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

my grandparents are from sicily. :)

both ireland and italy are great places so i think thats why both italians live in ireland and irish live in italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

maninasia wrote: »

No its doesn't. Corruption in countries like Italy is endemic, or more simply it goes hand in hand with the culture of the country. Everything you do in life, whether it getting a job or a decent apartment, depends on knowing the 'right' people. Thats without going into how incompetent the buerocrats are, how powerful their politicians are, how little people are paid, how worthless their media is and so on. It harkens back to the centuries old clientage system and the history of weak government, and its something embedded in their way of life, largely accepted. Everything you think is bad about Ireland's media, politicians, goverment - multiple by 10 for over there.

People complain about Ireland constantly, and I'm sure its a part of human nature, and often justifiable, but trust me, we have it much much better then the majority of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

And making wines, building The Colloseum, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, growing the worlds best olives, building Venizia, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, providing the world with the genius of Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelanglo, Modigliani, Carrivaggio, Bottechelli, Paganini, Rossini, Guiliani, gave the world the Ferarri, the Lambourgini and amongst many, many other dishes, that don't even involve pasta, Pizza!

And much more.

And... Del Piero... and Inzaghi :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 clonmel

dlofnep wrote: »
    Now, I love Ireland. It suits my pasty white complexion and fierce appetite for bad health. But do these gorgeous Italian girls move from such a beautiful country to Ireland (equally also a beautiful country).. to serve chips to drunken Irish slobs who have just fell off their barstool? (not that I'm complaining).

It sure isn't for our weather, or our dashing good looks! Or our economy.. My local chipper has at least 3 Italian hotties working there.

Someone, explain. Preferably Italian. What's going on? It would be like me, moving to Poland building houses for the Polish. It just doesn't add up!
    Hi here's the Italian !
    First of all, sorry for my English, and by the way, why do you think it's so strange for you that are some Italians working there in Ireland??
    Of course those girls are not there because of the weather,or Irish food, or Irish men ;-)
    A lot of Italians are working abroad, The Celtic tiger attracted a lot pf workers from all over the Europe, so I am not surprised a lot of Italian, Spanish Brazilian or polish people moved to Ireland.Moreover Italian economy hasn't been so good in the last 10 years, it's not that easy to get a permanent job, expecially if you're young, wages are not that high. Expecially for low level job (I can't imagine how a cleaner could live on their wage here in Italy).
    Moreover a lot of us want to learn english, so Ireland and Uk are the best place to learn it !
    if you have any questions am here!

No its doesn't. Corruption in countries like Italy is endemic, or more simply it goes hand in hand with the culture of the country. Everything you do in life, whether it getting a job or a decent apartment, depends on knowing the 'right' people. Thats without going into how incompetent the buerocrats are, how powerful their politicians are, how little people are paid, how worthless their media is and so on. It harkens back to the centuries old clientage system and the history of weak government, and its something embedded in their way of life, largely accepted. Everything you think is bad about Ireland's media, politicians, goverment - multiple by 10 for over there.

People complain about Ireland constantly, and I'm sure its a part of human nature, and often justifiable, but trust me, we have it much much better then the majority of humanity.
    Being Italian I can say you're right.
    But I would like to tell that not every italian likes that systems, and it's not really true that this is largely accepted.
    We are obliget to accept it, because there's no other option.
    Because we were born in this system.
    And not because we think it's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

I lived with a people from Italy before, they said they'd never go back there as its corrupt through and through !! They didn't miss it at all and their parents were even encouraging them to settle somewhere else !! One was from Venice and the other ?? think it was south Italy can't remember right now. Kind of put me off the country to b honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I could easily settle in Italy, from Rome to Verona / Milan, anywhere in between.
    Dream would be in a small village not too far from a major town/city. Veneto maybe because that's where Amarone comes from.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

clonmel wrote: »
    But I would like to tell that not every italian likes that systems, and it's not really true that this is largely accepted.

I understand this, but by 'accepted' I mean accepted as a part of life, a part of how the country is run, I don't for a minute mean it to mean Italians actually think it a good thing their country is this way.

I understand this, but by 'accepted' I mean accepted as a part of life, a part of how the country is run, I don't for a minute mean it to mean Italians actually think it a good thing their country is this way.

No worries, I am not offended.I just wanted to point out that.

Just because sometimes I feel we are famous in the world just for the Mafia, corruption , fashion, spaghetti and no more....

galwayrush wrote: »
    I could easily settle in Italy, from Rome to Verona / Milan, anywhere in between.
    Dream would be in a small village not too far from a major town/city. Veneto maybe because that's where Amarone comes from.:cool:

That's so funny, since a lot of people from Veneto would like to stand apart and being an indipendent state...

And for the guy who used to share the house with the Italians, yes a lot of us are working abroad, since as I told already our system doesn't suit ambiotious young people, you have to work hard here to get a job, and even when you do, you discover it's difficult to grow without knowing the right person.It is difficult here to build up a career, a future a family.
    And of course people who move abroad usually complain more about their contries...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Dudess wrote: »
    Strange, my Italian flatmate and I were recently talking about this. She said her plane back to Ireland was jammers the other day. She also thinks €25,000 is amazing, unbelievable money so yeah, probably economic.

Yep, I've got an italian bird, and they do think along those lines. Alot of them also head over here to work after having enjoyed a holiday here. You would also get a few italian chicks who are looking to bag themselves a prize irishman like myself. :o

carrieb wrote: »
    As someone who couldnt wait to leave Ireland and move to Italy last year I can tell you why!!
    1st of all, money!! The money here is atrocious! Ppl wouldnt believe me about the MIN WAGE or the dole in Ireland, here there is no such thing!!
    I was working in a busy restaurant, 48 hours per week for 1000euro per month, full stop. I was told by a lot of ppl that I was on very good money!! My rent was 500!
    Also the post thing is true! Many packages were sent to me that NEVER arrived. 1 took 11 weeks (it was a padded envelope!)
    Italian ppl in work are rude and unhelpful and will never ever go out of their way for you.
    Buy a ticket for a train and you will get the ticket with no explanation of which train you have to get on (for example you buy a ticket for LUCCA, they give you a ticket marked LUCCA but there is no train called the LUCCA train, you need to figure out that you should get the Firenze train and change at Empoli although no1 will tell you that!!) ,what platform it leaves from or what time it leaves at. If you ask any of the above questions 99 out of 100 times the cashier will not look up from their mobile phone and will bark an answer at you (if you're lucky, some will just ignore you!!)
    Everything closes for half the day!
    Because it is a "warm" country nothing is built for winter and you will freeze your ass off her outside of the summer months. Everything is tiled and there are no furnishings to keep in heat. You will be VERY COLD and then very warm, never a happy medium!!
    Irish ppl are really friendly! I used to tut when ppl said that and used to think that I know plenty of non friendly Irish ppl but in comparison we are much friendly as a whole.
    We all have a very romantic view of Italy which is just not true in day to day living here!
    I wouldnt blame the Italians one little bit!
    There's a lot to be said for Ireland....... I found out the hard way!
    So agree about economy.
    Average wage for a full time job in Italy is about 1000 € per month, even less sometimes....
    But honestly I do not agree about the train .Of course there's no direct train to Lucca, as there's no direct train for Carrick on Shannon, I asked for a ticket to that town at Dublin trainstation, and no one told me I had to catch the Sligo one, but I was clever enough to sort it out by myself!
    I agree anyway people working at train station are not always kind and helpful, even with the Italians ...but I do not think we are rude and unhelpful!!
    I am so sorry you had a such bad experience in my country..

Yep, I've got an italian bird, and they do think along those lines. Alot of them also head over here to work after having enjoyed a holiday here. You would also get a few italian chicks who are looking to bag themselves a prize irishman like myself. :o
    So..did you get that chick already?:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

clonmel wrote: »

There's a massive amount of corruption in Ireland, it's just more at the top level of things (central government/local TDs/county government/planning/development/banking/legal system) and not in your face! Otherwise why do you think our banks would be worthless and country bankrupt but nobody put in jail or properly investigated, worthless tribunals that lawyers makes 1000's of Euro a day for years and years from...that's not the way it's done in other advanced countries, people PAY for their crimes. How many people go to jail for fraud in Ireland, I think ONE last year!
    I know Italy is worse regarding from top to bottom corruption or the culture of it being embedded in the whole system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

faceman wrote: »
    My local italian chipper has the obligatory "daughter of the italian owners" working in it. She is quite good looking BUT she has a huge ronnie.

But quite worringly, i still would.

So out of 10 you would still give her one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

And much more.

But apart from making wines, building The Colloseum, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, growing the worlds best olives, building Venizia, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, providing the world with the genius of Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelanglo, Modigliani, Carrivaggio, Bottechelli, Paganini, Rossini, Guiliani, gave the world the Ferarri, the Lambourgini and amongst many, many other dishes, that don't even involve pasta, Pizza, what have the Romans ever done for us? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

I worked at the Head Office of Fiat in London a long time ago now and I loved it! Apart from the fact that the men were just gorgeous their sense of humour was just like ours. I've never had more fun in a job anywhere in my life and I think it makes sense for Italians to move to Ireland - we have much more in common than we have differences. I've met a fair few nationalities over the years (I spent two years in The Hague where you'll find every nation under the sun represented) and the Italians are by far my favourite - I don't care what they're talking about - I just want to listen to that accent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Movin to Italy in 6 weeks myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

Wagon wrote: »
    Movin to Italy in 6 weeks myself :D
    Where you of to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Ironbars wrote: »
    Where you of to?

Up north, near Milan. Here's to actually getting sun this summer!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

FruitLover wrote: »
    But apart from making wines, building The Colloseum, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, growing the worlds best olives, building Venizia, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, providing the world with the genius of Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelanglo, Modigliani, Carrivaggio, Bottechelli, Paganini, Rossini, Guiliani, gave the world the Ferarri, the Lambourgini and amongst many, many other dishes, that don't even involve pasta, Pizza, what have the Romans ever done for us? :confused:

I left out the most important thing to come from Italy - to me, anyway.

me!

FruitLover wrote: »
    Michelangelo, Botticelli ,Lamborghini, Caravaggio,Ferrari are the right spellings ;-)

What have the Irish ever done for us (a part from Guiness, Oscar wilde, James Joyce ?!)

• Advertisement

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    I worked at the Head Office of Fiat in London a long time ago now and I loved it! Apart from the fact that the men were just gorgeous their sense of humour was just like ours. I've never had more fun in a job anywhere in my life and I think it makes sense for Italians to move to Ireland - we have much more in common than we have differences. I've met a fair few nationalities over the years (I spent two years in The Hague where you'll find every nation under the sun represented) and the Italians are by far my favourite - I don't care what they're talking about - I just want to listen to that accent :D
    I spent few monts working in Clonmel a long time ago, and thought the same.
    Even if I think Irish are kindier than italians, and their sense of humour is even much better than ours!!

Advertisement