Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italians moving to Ireland. Why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

GAAman wrote: »
    Up here in derry though i dont know of any italian places, and the chips here are useless :(
    Italians do it better for sure. Most of the fish and chip joints around my local area are run by Chinese. The minimum chips will fill you up but they are just not on the same par as the fat, greasy chips soaked in salt 'n' vinegar that I loved to eat from the likes of Alonzo's, Sylvio's and Macari's in Dublin.

Interesting article: A history of the Italian chipper in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I hope all of the gorgeous Italian girls coming over to Ireland will remember to buy some razor blades at the airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

juuge wrote: »
    I hope all of the gorgeous Italian girls coming over to Ireland will remember to buy some razor blades at the airport!

dont know what italian burds your fond of mate, but any i know are hair free and by in large, stunning looking. and shock shock horror, irish girls have hair too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

thanks for the advice!!
    if I ever stop at the airport I'll remember to get some razor blades for myself and an updated version of the stereotypes book....

Yeah..we only eat pasta and pizza, our weather is lovely all the time and we are as haired as a chimp...
    I bet you are red haired, pale with freckles, you play the harp or flute and you are drunk 24/7 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Disgusting! :( Apologise immediately!

...your confusing Italian women with the French... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

funloving wrote: »
    thanks for the advice!!
    if I ever shop at a shop I'll remember to get some razor blades for myself and an updated version of the stereotypes book....

Yeah..we only eat pasta and pizza, our weather is lovely all the time and we are as haired as a chimp...
    I bet you are red haired, pale with freckles, you play the harp or flute and you are drunk 24/7 :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA:D
    Some irish people need to get out more and travel a bit.;)
    Now, if any Italian wants to swop their house in Italy with one in Galway for a few weeks every year..................:) I think Italian women are beautiful... Bella;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

galwayrush wrote: »
    Now, if any Italian wants to swop their house in Italy with one in Galway for a few weeks every year..................:) I think Italian women are beautiful... Bella;)

I can give you my house if you want it ;)
    it's in bari where the Italy vs Ireland match will be played too...looking forward to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can give you my house if you want it ;)
    it's in bari where the Italy vs Ireland match will be played too...looking forward to that :D

Perfect.:D

galwayrush wrote: »

Oh the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Dudess wrote: »
    Strange, my Italian flatmate and I were recently talking about this. She said her plane back to Ireland was jammers the other day. She also thinks €25,000 is amazing, unbelievable money so yeah, probably economic.

Is she hot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

kingofburt wrote: »
    Up here in derry though i dont know of any italian places, and the chips here are useless frown.gif

Thats crazy talk, Fiorintinis on the Strand rd have been serving great chipper and ice cream for a couple of decades now and if you cross the border at Bridgend you'll get the best fresh cut chips in Dohertys.

My bad, i have never gotten chips from them only ice cream when i was passin by but i was speakin of the chippers that deliver and stuff (uncles sams, gibbons, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

And she's only part Italian.

All Italian, born there. Only part Italian extraction though.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, it's called an Italian.

I'll shut up now.

Mean. But funny.
    dSTAR wrote: »
    Italians do it better for sure.

This is very true. Just generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Orizio wrote: »
    ...your confusing Italian women with the French... ;)
    Ah ! French women now you're talkin'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

As someone who couldnt wait to leave Ireland and move to Italy last year I can tell you why!!
    1st of all, money!! The money here is atrocious! Ppl wouldnt believe me about the MIN WAGE or the dole in Ireland, here there is no such thing!!
    I was working in a busy restaurant, 48 hours per week for 1000euro per month, full stop. I was told by a lot of ppl that I was on very good money!! My rent was 500!
    Also the post thing is true! Many packages were sent to me that NEVER arrived. 1 took 11 weeks (it was a padded envelope!)
    Italian ppl in work are rude and unhelpful and will never ever go out of their way for you.
    Buy a ticket for a train and you will get the ticket with no explanation of which train you have to get on (for example you buy a ticket for LUCCA, they give you a ticket marked LUCCA but there is no train called the LUCCA train, you need to figure out that you should get the Firenze train and change at Empoli although no1 will tell you that!!) ,what platform it leaves from or what time it leaves at. If you ask any of the above questions 99 out of 100 times the cashier will not look up from their mobile phone and will bark an answer at you (if you're lucky, some will just ignore you!!)
    Everything closes for half the day!
    Because it is a "warm" country nothing is built for winter and you will freeze your ass off her outside of the summer months. Everything is tiled and there are no furnishings to keep in heat. You will be VERY COLD and then very warm, never a happy medium!!
    Irish ppl are really friendly! I used to tut when ppl said that and used to think that I know plenty of non friendly Irish ppl but in comparison we are much friendly as a whole.
    We all have a very romantic view of Italy which is just not true in day to day living here!
    I wouldnt blame the Italians one little bit!
    There's a lot to be said for Ireland....... I found out the hard way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

carrieb wrote: »
    As someone who couldnt wait to leave Ireland and move to Italy last year I can tell you why!!
    1st of all, money!! The money here is atrocious! Ppl wouldnt believe me about the MIN WAGE or the dole in Ireland, here there is no such thing!!
    I was working in a busy restaurant, 48 hours per week for 1000euro per month, full stop. I was told by a lot of ppl that I was on very good money!! My rent was 500!
    Also the post thing is true! Many packages were sent to me that NEVER arrived. 1 took 11 weeks (it was a padded envelope!)
    Italian ppl in work are rude and unhelpful and will never ever go out of their way for you.
    Buy a ticket for a train and you will get the ticket with no explanation of which train you have to get on (for example you buy a ticket for LUCCA, they give you a ticket marked LUCCA but there is no train called the LUCCA train, you need to figure out that you should get the Firenze train and change at Empoli although no1 will tell you that!!) ,what platform it leaves from or what time it leaves at. If you ask any of the above questions 99 out of 100 times the cashier will not look up from their mobile phone and will bark an answer at you (if you're lucky, some will just ignore you!!)
    Everything closes for half the day!
    Because it is a "warm" country nothing is built for winter and you will freeze your ass off her outside of the summer months. Everything is tiled and there are no furnishings to keep in heat. You will be VERY COLD and then very warm, never a happy medium!!
    Irish ppl are really friendly! I used to tut when ppl said that and used to think that I know plenty of non friendly Irish ppl but in comparison we are much friendly as a whole.
    We all have a very romantic view of Italy which is just not true in day to day living here!
    I wouldnt blame the Italians one little bit!
    There's a lot to be said for Ireland....... I found out the hard way!

Lots of the problems you detail there could be avoided if you had fluent Italian.

Personally, having spent time in Italy, I think they're polite, friendly, helpful and culturally literate.

Its hard for Irish people to be ''appropriately'' polite to Italians visiting their country if the Italians don't have good English, and its equally hard for Italians to be as courteous as you would like if you don't have decent Italian, as contrary to popular belief, they don't all have fluent English - and why should they.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Steve wrote: »
    There is a fantastic chipper in Terenure run by a family of Italians, the word gorgeous wouldn't be high on the list of descriptive features for the female staff though. Any good looking chipper chicks I know of are all east European.

Amen to that.:)
    I'm gonna guess thats Lisa's, the chipper beside the trattoria.

and no, pretty is not the word i'd use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Racist bollocks. I am black haired, clean skinned, no musical talent and as for being drunk 24/7 that is....eh.....

well, you got three out of four wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Orizio wrote: »
    Historically, Italians have a habit of immigrating to the British Isles, particurly Wales. Although it might seem like a trivial thing, I understand some of most famous 'chippers' in Dublin are Italian, and have been around for decades upon decades.

More importantly, Italy is a political and economic ****hole, and has been for years. Things that we take for granted like the private media and independent, unbiased political insitutions barely exist there. Corruption is endemic. Just ask an Italian about his/her 'country' and see what kind of reply you get.

Yeah, just like the Irish government did a good job with corruption and the property boom/bust the last few years and Irish newspapers aren't owned by tycoons :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm gonna guess thats Lisa's, the chipper beside the trattoria.

and no, pretty is not the word i'd use.
    I thought it was called Dino's, but it's probably the place. Dino and Lisa are the owners.
    It used to be a regular stop off after a session in Brady's before I moved further afield.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

I think you will find no beautiful italian woman work in these chippers, these are more than likely albanian. Nearly all italian style (roma/macari etc) are being staffed by albanian/lituanian/latvian staff.

didnt know this myself till my italian friend pointed it out when I commented on the said chippers, albanians speak good italian and are cheap as chips ;) gorgeous tooooo.

As for italy, they will not give you the time of day over there if you dont know Italian....... its just the way they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ironbars wrote: »
    As for italy, they will not give you the time of day over there if you dont know Italian....... its just the way they are
    No offence but if someone came up to you in Ireland and asked you 'what time is it?' in Italian, would you be able to answer them? Or even understand what they were asking?

Maybe if they spoke reeeaaallllyy slllloooowww Italian.. or their equivalent of "Waat-a time-a is-a it-a..? :D

No offence but if someone came up to you in Ireland and asked you 'what time is it?' in Italian, would you be able to answer them? Or even understand what they were asking?

Maybe if they spoke reeeaaallllyy slllloooowww Italian.. or their equivalent of "Waat-a time-a is-a it-a..? :D

Id answer politely in Italian or English. ;)

Ironbars wrote: »
    Id answer politely in Italian or English. ;)
    Fair enough, you obviously speak Italian.. the vast majority of Irish people wouldn't be able to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Exactly! I think too many Irish people have the idea that 'they all speak English over there'. I've lived in Spain and very few people there could even manage a few words, let alone have a conversation. Same in France, slightly better English but still not great. I wouldn't move to Italy with no Italian, I think I'd go crazy.

Fair enough, you obviously speak Italian.. the vast majority of Irish people wouldn't be able to. :)
    Only out of necessity, the other half is italian:) Only picked it up so I would know when im in trouble ..............

maninasia wrote: »
    Yeah, just like the Irish government did a good job with corruption and the property boom/bust the last few years and Irish newspapers aren't owned by tycoons :)

No, Italy is a properly corrupt country, Ireland has just flirted with it. There really is no comparsion between the two, and if you think there is I strongly suggest reading about Italian politics circa the late 80s/early 90s.

Allabouteve I do have fluent Italian.

I have never once asked a question in English, in fact I get annoyed when the Italians answer my Italian question in English!! (even though I know they only want to practise their English!)

BTW how would having fluent Italian increase the wages or provide the dole?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fluent speakers of a language always have the chance for better jobs than someone who dont speaka da lingo well or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Four-Too wrote: »
    Ahh, that is fecked up.. It's a fecked up world we live in. Our chippers are now being spoilt. Italians are only good at making spaghetti and pastas - it's insanity! Blasphemy! I wouldn;t eat those chips if they were free.
    The horror of it.

Eh, Italian fish'n'chip shops are an institution in Ireland, especially Dublin. Ever wondered why so many are called Roma, and so forth?

• Advertisement

Yes but if you are looking for a restaurant job you are looking for a restaurant job, fluent or not. Actually you'd be more likely to get payed more for speaking English in a lot of places.
    My point was I listed reasons that Italians would want to live in Dublin, fluentness in Italian was besides the point. I didnt arrive here with a pocket dictionary and not a word of Italian! :rolleyes:

Advertisement