Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paypal - Limerick or Dundalk

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Feck em!

Anyway Limerick also has Vodafone, albeit an overflow call centre but Vodafone nonetheless. No idea where it is though.

Not fogetting o2 in castletroy which employs hundreds and cook medical near to it which empioys similar numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There are a number of call centres in Shannon, Sykes have been mentioned, Genworth Financial and GE Money would be 2 other big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Call center for GILD too (hamilton house) in plassey too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Still nothing in the media....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kilburn wrote: »
    I love that Limerick or Dublin might not have the skill set.

Its a call centre !

o2, Vodafone, Sykes, UPC, Sky don't tend to have too many people wanting to speak to them in Russian, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Swiss variants on German, French and Italian.

How many people do you know who have a decent level of gramatically and syntactically correct English or Irish, let alone a foreign language!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ryaner777 wrote: »
    On my break working in Paypal at the moment. I've been in all over christmas and haven't heard a word about this.

As soon as I hear any news I'll let ye all know.

Same here
    Still nothing in the media....

Is there actually any confirmed news of this proposed new centre anywhere? I cant find any in any online media and there is absolutely nothing related to it that has been released to current PayPal staff in Ballycoolin,Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jobs.ie have loads and loads of jobs for Paypal in Dublin. Could be interviewing/building up a CV database of folk in advance of an announcement.

Scroll to the bottom to see all the jobs

http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1146486

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Jobs.ie have loads and loads of jobs for Paypal in Dublin. Could be interviewing/building up a CV database of folk in advance of an announcement.

Wouldn't call that loads and loads of jobs, they nearly always have that number of jobs available. Also notice a lot of them are for people fluent in European languages. Dublin has a lot more multi-lingual people than limerick. I'd imagine any jobs for Limerick would be English speaking.

Wouldn't call that loads and loads of jobs, they nearly always have that number of jobs available. Also notice a lot of them are for people fluent in European languages. Dublin has a lot more multi-lingual people than limerick. I'd imagine any jobs for Limerick would be English speaking.

They could easily be hiring for more than one worker in each category. Most of the upper and middle management would be vetted by agencies so not on offer on the site directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

They could easily be hiring for more than one worker in each category. Most of the upper and middle management would be vetted by agencies so not on offer on the site directly.

But the location for all those jobs is Blanchardstown :confused: I know some dodgy agencies harvest CV's but I don't think a reputable company would do it so blatantly.

Anyway lets hope for an announcement soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

ninty9er wrote: »
    o2, Vodafone, Sykes, UPC, Sky don't tend to have too many people wanting to speak to them in Russian, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Swiss variants on German, French and Italian.

How many people do you know who have a decent level of gramatically and syntactically correct English or Irish, let alone a foreign language!

You only let your self down with a comment like that I know hundreds of unemployed people in this city who are more than capable of putting a sentence together both gramatically and syntactically as you eloquently put it, that is a very disrespectful comment generalising people in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They have a very large operations centre in Blanchardstown as is, so most likely the advertised jobs are for there and not for any other location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You only let your self down with a comment like that I know hundreds of unemployed people in this city who are more than capable of putting a sentence together both gramatically and syntactically as you eloquently put it, that is a very disrespectful comment generalising people in Limerick.

Tbf to 99'er, he spends a lot of time hanging out with students and FF'ers. It's possible he doesn't know that many people sentence can form.

Tbf to 99'er, he spends a lot of time hanging out with students and FF'ers. It's possible he doesn't know that many people sentence can form.

Was that supposed to be so ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The comment I made can be easily applied in any part of Ireland, most of the UK, Australia and the US. All places where level of European language fluency is piss poor.

You must work in Social Protection or FÁS if you know hundreds of unemployed people so well, so maybe you could do something on upskilling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To be equally fair, he's also aware of how many people vote for O'Dea, and so may have a point regarding a high proportion of stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was that supposed to be so ironic?

I'm saddened you have to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

evey time i see an update to this thread i think its an announcement...im very tempted to ban the next person who posts and it isnt an announcement :)

** im joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

i think ye are all dreaming.
    I doubt there will be very many announcements by anyone until there is at least some certainty around the Euro situation, and a global slowdown in progress. Companies would want to be mad to do anything else than hold off for a while.
    The only announcement that will be made are for plans set in stone months ago imo. Could be totally wrong too..

ninty9er wrote: »
    The comment I made can be easily applied in any part of Ireland, most of the UK, Australia and the US. All places where level of European language fluency is piss poor.

You must work in Social Protection or FÁS if you know hundreds of unemployed people so well, so maybe you could do something on upskilling them.

I dont work in there unfortunately, as if I did i would sort the shambles out, majority of my highly skilled and educated friends are unemployed due to the current situation in Limerick not as a result of anything they did.

The comment you made specifically insulted unemployed people in Limerick stating they could not put a sentence together, no point arguing with me over it as you said it not me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The comment you made specifically insulted unemployed people in Limerick stating they could not put a sentence together, no point arguing with me over it as you said it not me.

No, it didn't.

Let's be honest, he's right. Adult literacy levels (in terms of spelling, grammar, knowledge of homophones, and syntax, after both primary and secondary level education) are embarrassing. Request access to the Spell Czechs forum for a better idea of the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's nothing to do with employment status.

No, it didn't.

Let's be honest, he's right. Adult literacy levels (in terms of spelling, grammar, knowledge of homophones, and syntax, after both primary and secondary level education) are embarrassing. Request access to the Spell Czechs forum for a better idea of the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's nothing to do with employment status.

Well i respectfully disagree, but to be far the thread has gone way off topic so fell free to delete some posts as Limerick people putting there own city and locals down would not inspire anyone to set up here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well i respectfully disagree, but to be far the thread has gone way off topic so fell free to delete some posts as Limerick people putting there own city and locals down would not inspire anyone to set up here.

At this stage I don't know why this thread is still here at all, so you could be on to something there.

The opening post was inspired by a vague article in the Irish Times last November. The same article contains not a single quote. There was no source given for the story, and no press-release by the company.

The thread descended into pure speculation after a new poster showed up and continued the trend of spreading gossip without a source to back it up. Most of their posts were deleted for this reason. The 50 or so posts since then have been more "miss" than "hit".

I think it's safe to say this is one to throw on the old pile of locked "coming to Limerick" threads. If something conclusive appears in the media we can start again with a new thread.

PM me with queries/concerns, as per usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement