Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Please please let this be true!

Apparently its more a case of righting some wrongs then erasing completely such as giving cyclops a proper shot & showing a properly powerful rogue.

Please please let this be true!

Problem with doing that, is that it would make a lot of The Wolverine pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Problem with doing that, is that it would make a lot of The Wolverine pointless.

Which would be... good, no?

Which would be... good, no?

Much as I felt the Wolverine was a disappointment I did like the manner in which they portrayed Wolverine and his inner demons. There's a lot to be said for ignoring The Last Stand though I do like that so many of the characters were killed off. Hopefully Singer will do something interesting with this and concentrate once more on story over spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I like the Sentinal designs, but the heads do cut a little close to the nu-Cylons, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Really sounds like he's cramming ALOT into it.
    Hope the film doesn't suffer from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It would surely depend on the way the time travel stuff works on the characters involved. if they still remember the original time line, then everything that did happen would still have happened for them - so Logan would still have experienced all he did including
    killing Jean
    and the issues he had over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really sounds like he's cramming ALOT into it.
    Hope the film doesn't suffer from it.

If there's one director you'd trust to handle this movie with its huge cast and complex plot it's Singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bacchus wrote: »
    If there's one director you'd trust to handle this movie with its huge cast and complex plot it's Singer.

There's plenty of directors I'd trust much more with it tbh. He's got a few decent films under his belt but I don't really get where all the love comes from tbh.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of directors I'd trust much more with it tbh. He's got a few decent films under his belt but I don't really get where all the love comes from tbh.

X-Men, X-2 & First Class were all a cut above any of the other X-men movies and their spin offs. He just gets the balance right when it comes to the X-Men. Safe hands imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

X-Men, X-2 & First Class were all a cut above any of the other X-men movies and their spin offs. He just gets the balance right when it comes to the X-Men. Safe hands imo.

But he didn't direct First Class, Matthew Vaughn did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Since then, he has made Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Otacon wrote: »
    Since then, he has made Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer...

Yea but to be fair what director hasn't made a bad movie? His work on X-Men and X2 shows he can handle the X-Men universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm not entirely convinced that they have shown that though. As much as I love them, X2 especially, they've always come across to me slightly as Wolverine feat. the X-Men. I don't think they ever really showed him handling a large cast particularly well. There's a touch of that this time as well, with the reveal he'll be the one going back in time.

I'm just naturally worried whenever I see these massive casts as well, and this one is really big. There was a period of time where there a new member or 2 was revealed every week. It can just make the movie feel too full.

Nothing would please me more if he could pull if off though.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea but to be fair what director hasn't made a bad movie?

Matthew Vaughn?

X-Men: First Class
    Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Matthew Vaughn?

Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

You win, I've nothing to say back to that. Well played sir, well played. :o

Deano7788 wrote: »
    But he didn't direct First Class, Matthew Vaughn did.

Oops yeah, but he was producer on it so it's only other X-Men movie he's had an input to. My point being that the X-Men movies he's been involved with so far have been far superior to the rest. With him at the helm, I think this could be a great X-Men movie.

Regarding Superman Returns. I quite enjoyed that but it was far too wrapped up in trying to be like the Donner films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Matthew Vaughn?

Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

Kick Ass was pretty meh to be honest. Never got the hype about it. It seemed a very young girl cursing seemed to be its ultimate aim.

• Advertisement

Watched the first X-Men last night for the first time in ages and it's awful. X2 saved the bacon big style. Singer has in no way shown that he can handle the big cast. X-Men was terrible, save some cool moments. X2 is defo an enjoyable flick but can not be forgiven for dispatching Cyclops and Prof X so early on and not utilising two of the main characters of the universe properly. I hope DOFP is great, trust me, but Singer is definitely not the *best* man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Watched the first X-Men last night for the first time in ages and it's awful. X2 saved the bacon big style. Singer has in no way shown that he can handle the big cast. X-Men was terrible, save some cool moments. X2 is defo an enjoyable flick but can not be forgiven for dispatching Cyclops and Prof X so early on and not utilising two of the main characters of the universe properly. I hope DOFP is great, trust me, but Singer is definitely not the *best* man for the job.

my feeling is well just see the original cast for 5mins at the start and that will be it,with only wolverine and prof x being used during the 70s time line,its the only way he could manage such a large cast,i would of loved Vaughn to do it but it wasnt to be,no point in moaning about it now its out of our control

jebus84 wrote: »
    my feeling is well just see the original cast for 5mins at the start and that will be it,with only wolverine and prof x being used during the 70s time line,its the only way he could manage such a large cast,i would of loved Vaughn to do it but it wasnt to be,no point in moaning about it now its out of our control

Oh I'm not moaning, just disagreeing that Singer is the best man for the job. I'm hoping you're wrong about the way it'll work tbh but you're probably right! Hopefully it'll be done like the comics where it shifts between the two times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

X1 doesn't hold up at all, it looks cheap as hell too the effects and costumes (Sabretooth especially) are absolutely awful. X2 however is one of the finest comic book movies ever made.

krudler wrote: »
    X1 doesn't hold up at all, it looks cheap as hell too the effects and costumes (Sabretooth especially) are absolutely awful. X2 however is one of the finest comic book movies ever made.

I agree, it's fine. Good even. But shoulda been better. I rewatched X2 last night and was stunned at how boring the Jean & Storm story was, how Cyclops disappeared for the larger part of the film, how unemergent the kidnapping of Prof X felt and how the character with the most screen time after Wolverine was the, fairly bland but decently portrayed, Iceman. Very enjoyable movie, I really do agree, and defo one of the better. But Singer gets. Little too much credit for it, I reckon.

krudler wrote: »

The effects and action in X1 didn't date very well alright but at the time it was so fresh... probably the first good comic book adaptation since Batman Returns and Blade. Between X1 and Blade, comic book movies became mainstream. I think it's important to remember that when looking back on X1. It's a movie made 13 years ago when comic book movies were a joke (the Batman sequels, Judge Dread, TMNT etc.) and it managed to became a hit. Singer did that.
    I agree, it's fine. Good even. But shoulda been better. I rewatched X2 last night and was stunned at how boring the Jean & Storm story was, how Cyclops disappeared for the larger part of the film, how unemergent the kidnapping of Prof X felt and how the character with the most screen time after Wolverine was the, fairly bland but decently portrayed, Iceman. Very enjoyable movie, I really do agree, and defo one of the better. But Singer gets. Little too much credit for it, I reckon.

Storm has always been a weak point in the movies. She's a boring character whose powers probably needed a much bigger budget to do justice. I would defo agree that she is the weakest link in the chain. Who do you think should get credit for X2 so, if not the director? Do you credit/blame Singer for X1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Honestly, I enjoyed X2 at the time, but I wouldn't watch it again. The effects might hold up better, but the story and villain is a bore. I far, far prefer the first one.

And the less said about X3 the better, Jaysus....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Singer is a workmanlike director who is occasionally graced with good material. I've enjoyed several of his films, but at the same time I wouldn't consider him in any way distinctive or above average. He can tell a story clearly, coherently and energetically, which certainly puts him a notch above the more obnoxiously mediocre likes of Brett Ratner. But certainly I could imagine even his better films not varying too wildly in the hands of any generally competent director - and no doubt there's many who'd do a considerably better job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I'm not moaning, just disagreeing that Singer is the best man for the job. I'm hoping you're wrong about the way it'll work tbh but you're probably right! Hopefully it'll be done like the comics where it shifts between the two times....

I'd agree that the likely set up would be that the future scenes, featuring the characters from the original X films will be used as a framing device, bookending the rest of the film set in the 1970s. It logistically makes most sense too, because anything more complex would require the original cast for longer and that'd spiral costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

ive seen the footage from comic con looks good,has the music from the last scene from inception gives an epic feel to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

jebus84 wrote: »
    ive seen the footage from comic con looks good,has the music from the last scene from inception gives an epic feel to it

Jesue not again. song is done to death

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

That sent shivers down my spine....it looks so awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was one damn cool trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I guess Singer liked a few of the Man of Steel trailers then eh. Does the music seem poorly mixed there to anyone else?

Edit: Shazam tells me the first song isn't Bridge of Khazad Dum like I thought it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm not sold on it at all after seeing the trailer. After X Men First Class was really looking forward to this but that trailer has kind of killed my enthusiasm.

Edit: Shazam tells me the first song isn't Bridge of Khazad Dum like I thought it was.

I think it is from the Sunshine soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

First Class was a breath of fresh air for the X-Men films but i have to say, looking at this trailer, it seems to be a return to the wolverine fest of 2 & 3, so i might give it a pass, at least in cinemas.

thought the trailer was shyte TBH.

Im still looking forward to this one but i got no notion from that trailer WTF its about.

makes me glad for the viral stuff.

thought the trailer was shyte TBH.
    i got no notion from that trailer WTF its about.

But.. but.. but.. that's exactly what I want from a trailer!?

the captain amercia one did a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While I knew he was going to be involved in the time-travel plot, I'm a bit worried just how much Wolverine will feature in this. He doesn't need to be front & centre in another film really, and if his presence relegates what goes on between Xavier & Magneto, it'll be deeply disappointing. There's a lot going on in that trailer, it's giving off a bit of a Kitchen Sink vibe; hopefully the 'current day' appearances of the X-Men team are just fleeting cameos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The Xavier voiceover line of
    "I'm going to ask you to do what I once did for you"
    is an interesting one. Would they dare send out Wolverine in a blaze of glory by making the ultimate sacrifice or will the character continue to be the flogged dead horse that keeps on giving (even though I did like The Wolverine)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People saying they're not going to see it because of 1 trailer??

I thought it was good in that it was a 2 min trailer that shows a lot of characters but doesn't tell too much about the film. Way better than the endless stream of trailers that give away 70% of the film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks great. Love the story from the comics, and really enjoyed First Class, so hopefully they'll mix the two together well.

Plus, Xavier and Magneto are brilliant together (in both timeslines), so more is definitely a good thing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Urgh, another cast crossover movie with Patrick Stewart!

Naw, I'll be going to see this for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Really liked the trailer, but also worried about the focus that seems to be on Wolverine...

...which brings me to Bryan Singer; I just don't have much confidence in him.

I really wasn't a fan of his X-Men movies either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Urgh, another cast crossover movie with Patrick Stewart!

Naw, I'll be going to see this for sure.
    Ill not hear a bad word about Star Trek Generations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Off topic: that sunshine music is way overused, but I loooove how it's used here in a wee fan video (spoilers for seasons 1-4 of breaking bad), especially at the end.

On topic: I liked the trailer, does look a bit crowded and Wolverine heavy but I'll let myself get my hopes up. Wouldn't even be bothered paying attention if it hadn't been for First Class so yeah, disappointed at the change of director but we'll see sure. I haven't read the comics anyway so I don't have any specific hopes to be dashed, just your general "ooh I hope this is good" ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

First Class was a breath of fresh air for the X-Men films but i have to say, looking at this trailer, it seems to be a return to the wolverine fest of 2 & 3, so i might give it a pass, at least in cinemas.

Yes.
    +1 x 1,000,000

Wolverines presence looked abit much alright. But the trailer gave no real indication of wtf is going on.

Also, will it not feel abit tacky-as-**** having Xavier back around!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s a teaser trailer, folks. Don’t worry, the full trailer containing the entire plot condensed to 2.5 minutes including the ending will be out closer to release. You can complain about that as well.

Advertisement