Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Chemistry - Higher Level - June 16th***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

What did people get for the concentration of thiosulfate solution

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

What did people get for the concentration of thiosulfate solution

got something like 0.28 moles per litre, not sure doe.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

otoolej2 wrote: »
    got something like 0.28 moles per litre, not sure doe.

Think mine could have been something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

The_N4sir wrote: »
    That was a harder paper than I thought it would be. Was going for an A1 but i would be happy with a A2/B1 on that paper.

Anyone else get 20 for the x value in question 11? Cant remember exactky but was a nice whole number

yeah I got 20 ! please god it was right

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

We didn't have to divide it because it said , in the container which was 10l anyway

The equation was in a ratio of 1:2 so you have to take container size into account :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Why did you need to take the volume of the container into account? Surely that affects only pressure, while Kc is dependent completely on pressure.

Sorry, I meant temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    Why did you need to take the volume of the container into account? Surely that affects only pressure, while Kc is dependent completely on pressure.

KC is moles per Litre

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

How much marks would you lose if you didn't take the volume into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 YouKnowNothing

Thought it was a lovely exam, hopefully in course for a1
    Had a look over that q1 last night, it had only come up once in the past 13 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 uzpuz

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Around -270 kJ/mol

I got -273

Ah, I see. I hadn't seen that fact before.
    I did all three parts of that question out of nerves, so I'm not too worried about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Think I'll regret asking buuut why should distilled water be used instead of deionised Q1? :/

Bah_Humbug wrote: »
    Think I'll regret asking buuut why should distilled water be used instead of deionised Q1? :/

Things like Cl2 aren't ions but would have reacted with the KI to change iodine concentration so you would have had to distill them out.

Deionised water contains covalent impurities

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

Seanh966 wrote: »
    Grams of phenylmethanol Divided by molecular mass of phenylmethanol to get number of moles, ratio is one is to one so multiply this number by the molecular mass of benzoic acid for theoretical yield, put actual yield over theoretical for percentage yield

I did exactly that just realised I put 1.38g ÷ 3.172g into calculator instead of 1.83g ÷ 3.172g...I'll only lose like 3 marks though??

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    Deionised water contains covalent impurities

Would I get marks if I said the dissolved solids could interfere with the reagents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

I did exactly that just realised I put 1.38g ÷ 3.172g into calculator instead of 1.83g ÷ 3.172g...I'll only lose like 3 marks though??

You'll lose 1 mark

Probably only a single mark

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

Thought it was a lovely exam, hopefully in course for a1
    Had a look over that q1 last night, it had only come up once in the past 13 years!

It came up in 2007??

• Advertisement

what did people say for question 1 part A?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Jason_H wrote: »
    It came up in 2007??

I knew that one was going to come since the rest came up at least twice

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

For the aspirin, where did people draw the circle / rectangle??

otoolej2 wrote: »
    what did people say for question 1 part A?

Iodine is brought into aqueous solution through the addition of potassium iodide to the conical flask, which liberates iodine when it reactions with the sodium thiosulfate

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Things like Cl2 aren't ions but would have reacted with the KI to change iodine concentration so you would have had to distill them out.

D'you think i'd get marks for saying deionised water contains dissolved gases and organic material that might affect the result? But didn't specifically mention a gas like Cl2? Depends on the marking scheme I suppose :(

d1234 wrote: »
    For the aspirin, where did people draw the circle / rectangle??

Circle around the carbon group above the benzene molecule, carbonyl group is C=O so to the right of it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

How much marks would you lose if you didn't take the volume into account in the equilibrium calculation.

Bah_Humbug wrote: »
    D'you think i'd get marks for saying deionised water contains dissolved gases and organic material that might affect the result? But didn't specifically mention a gas like Cl2? Depends on the marking scheme I suppose :(

Yeah I would think so, because I don't imagine many people knew the exact reason and you are technically correct 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

Appearance of phenylmethanol at room temp? Problems than can arise with A and D? and initial concentration of ethanoic acid?

• Advertisement

Iodine is brought into aqueous solution through the addition of potassium iodide to the conical flask, which liberates iodine when it reactions with the sodium thiosulfate

ye, thats what i said. i forgot to mention potassium permangate, but i suppose that was'ent needed.

Advertisement