Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Chemistry - Higher Level - June 16th***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

What was the percentage yield for benzoic acid?I think I got around 43%

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

The_N4sir wrote: »
    I took A as 30-x so I guess i'll have to see what others got

Ah **** i did X for both idk which is right... probably why it didn't work out so cleanly....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

I got about 12ish, i saw how the quadratic would be 20/60 but the equation didn't work out so i had to use the quadratic formula. Is x=20 would you not have gotten a negative figure for A as A was 30 -2x at equil??

No it wouldn't be minus 2 as they were all in the same ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Whyyy do I look at these threads? Already seeing mistakes I made. Yet I'll still continue to read the thread...:p

Was an okay paper. Bit trickier than other years in that there was a lot of reasoning to do instead of learned off stuff. Can't really predict my grade at all tbh. I loved the short questions and the rates question.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Ah **** i did X for both idk which is right... probably why it didn't work out so cleanly....

You should still get a lot of the marks for the calculation anyway

• Advertisement

What was the percentage yield for benzoic acid?I think I got around 43%

I got 42.42% without rounding during the Q so i imagine anywhere around 42-43 is right

I got 42.42% without rounding during the Q so i imagine anywhere around 42-43 is right

I definitely got that wrong I got around 60%:P
    Not having the equation threw me off for that part

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DexterXX

I got 50 overall for the equilibrium gas question. What did ye say for the effect of an increase in storage temperature on pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Around -270 kJ/mol

Got that as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

DexterXX wrote: »
    What did ye say for the effect of an increase in storage temperature on pressure?

Increase in temperature favours the forwards reacting and the forwards reaction produces the greater number of moles so the pressure would increase? That's what I said anyways...

• Advertisement

I definitely got that wrong I got around 60%:P
    Not having the equation threw me off for that part

Yeah that was indicative of how the paper was oddly worded! You had to read in the question that it was 1:1 took me ages to realise

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seanh966

Yeah that was indicative of how the paper was oddly worded! You had to read in the question that it was 1:1 took me ages to realise

Pretty confident answer was 56 or 57% , several A1 candidates in my class got this

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dingle123

Seanh966 wrote: »
    Pretty confident answer was 56 or 57% , several A1 candidates in my class got this

I got about 57% aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kerrypike

Dingle123 wrote: »
    I got about 57% aswell

How was it supposed to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

In the equilibrium question I got x=9.135. Any one esle get that

Yeah I think the answer is 57 good few in my class got that

Kerrypike wrote: »

Grams of phenylmethanol Divided by molecular mass of phenylmethanol to get number of moles, ratio is one is to one so multiply this number by the molecular mass of benzoic acid for theoretical yield, put actual yield over theoretical for percentage yield

Kerrypike wrote: »

N = 6.35all over 108 (mr ) = 0.026 0.026 X 122(mr of benzoic acid ) = 3.172 1.83 all over 3.172 x100 = 57٪

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

Got 57.7% for percentage, what did people get for grams pf crystalised sodium thiasulfate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kerrypike

Oh right I see.. I just used grams dang it

• Advertisement

Got 57.7% for percentage, what did people get for grams pf crystalised sodium thiasulfate?

I got around 34 g/l

I got 3.95-4 it's probably wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

In the equilibrium question I got x=9.135. Any one esle get that

Yeah I got this, we didn't take the size of the 10 litre vessel into account for the concentrations. Wonder how many marks we will lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

yeah im not too sure what it was, i ended up with around 17g?

What did you get as the relative molecular masses?

Ah **** i put the difference over the value i found, not the actual value over the thoretical!!! B ollocks, so i got 100 minus the right answer agh
    Wonder how many marks that'll be gone, agh, that's the second stupid mistake i've found and in two different questions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

57.6 % was the correct answer for the percentage yield

Fiona G wrote: »
    Yeah I got this, we didn't take the size of the 10 litre vessel into account for the concentrations. Wonder how many marks we will lose?

We didn't have to divide it because it said , in the container which was 10l anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

ye i got 57 point something. pretty sure its right, there will be a little wiggle room due to people rounding up to different numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

We didn't have to divide it because it said , in the container which was 10l anyway

Kc is moles per litre

• Advertisement

What did you get as the relative molecular masses?

Ah **** i put the difference over the value i found, not the actual value over the thoretical!!! B ollocks, so i got 100 minus the right answer agh
    Wonder how many marks that'll be gone, agh, that's the second stupid mistake i've found and in two different questions :(

Phenylmethanol 108
    Benzoic acid 122

Advertisement