Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

diddlybit wrote: »
    Congrats! It's an awesome and rather surreal feeling to see your work in a book or online.

I'm collecting rejection letters at the moment. Never understand why they always arrive all at once. :)
    Links234 wrote: »
    congrats! that's awesome news
    Posy wrote: »
    Well done on the short story, Foux! :)
    Thanks, guys. Don't give up, Diddlybit! (Your name is so much fun to say).
    We finally got UPC in the house - 100+ channels and what do I spend most of the time watching? Come Dine With Me.
    That programme is like crack. I do the same thing.
    Kiera wrote: »
    I remember a guy in the butchers saying that to me the day my Dad died. I was in there getting ham for the sandwiches and out he comes happy as Larry (which is his job) but then comes out with that line. His boss roared at him to get in the back now as he knew who i was and why i was there (someone had rang to order the ham and stuff).
    Some people are hilariously insensitive to the recently bereaved. When my Dad was young he lost both his parents within a short amount of time. Obviously, people didn't really know what to say to him at the wake so one old woman settled for:
    "jesus, aren't you after getting fierce fat!"
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

putting on my jacket on the way home on the bus

accidentally slapped the woman beside me in the face!!

i went red hahaha :o

i also witnessed a car accident at Drumcondra Station today!
    a little old man was making a u turn in his small van when a ford transit ploughed into the side....the old man flew into the passenger side he wasnt wearing a seat belt! :eek:

hope both drivers are ok! i didnt stick around long i had to go and pack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Some people are hilariously insensitive to the recently bereaved. When my Dad was young he lost both his parents within a short amount of time. Obviously, people didn't really know what to say to him at the wake so one old woman settled for:
    "jesus, aren't you after getting fierce fat!"
    :pac:

Ah to be fair to him he didnt know who i was or what had happened. But people should really stop using that phrase. If you look sad it's probably because you are sad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

accidentally slapped the woman beside me in the face!!

That made me laugh, sorry...wish I'd seen it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Ah to be fair to him he didnt know who i was or what had happened. But people should really stop using that phrase. If you look sad it's probably because you are sad :o

Yeah that's the thing about, I never really got the saying anyway, like is it their round about way of asking if you're ok. Or is it they don't want to look at a sad/grumpy face. Or more likely they are just talking to be talking.

• Advertisement

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Yeah that's the thing about, I never really got the saying anyway, like is it their round about way of asking if you're ok. Or is it they don't want to look at a sad/grumpy face. Or more likely they are just talking to be talking.

All of the above :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah, so you haven't come across Chronic Bitch-Face Syndrome.

I am a sufferer.

My neutral face is like the world is ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Das Kitty wrote: »

I am a sufferer.

Better than having Chronic Rapist Face.... I have a tendency to day dream and make weird creepy-stalkerish grins for no apparent outward reason.

I am a sufferer.

Mine too. My neutral, everyday expression can best be described as "morose". So many people (actually, it's always men) have come up to me in pubs and stuff telling me to cheer up. It's like my frowning upsets them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

One of my short stories is going to be published, for the first time. Yay!

Congrats Foux! That is such exciting news :D

I can't believe it is almost Friday already... roll on a weekend with my boyfriend and the little lady, hope the weather holds up! :)

• Advertisement

I am a sufferer.

Haha i've a friend like that and even i get pissed off with people telling her to cheer up, can only imagine how she feels.
    McChubbin wrote: »
    Better than having Chronic Rapist Face.... I have a tendency to day dream and make weird creepy-stalkerish grins for no apparent outward reason.

:eek::D

I'm told i randomly smile. Making me look like a happy spa most of the time. I'd say we'd look like a right bunch if we all sat together :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

EmilyO wrote: »
    Oooh almostnever, I feel your pain reading that case. I hate reading cases...why can't judges use shorter sentences?!

Apparently lawyers used to be paid by the word, so they made things as long and convoluted as possible :pac: It also explains why you'll often see four or five words meaning the same thing used together in statutes, for example.

And then there was the tradition of judges coming up with intricate ways of avoiding applying legislation and clinging onto the common law, making judgments longer and longer...they really have no excuse now though, it's not cool! :P In fairness though this case must have been a nightmare to hear, it's insanely complicated and makes very little sense to me!

Silleh law, should definitely have done English or something instead :P

I'm wrecked after today and I have a long day ahead tomorrow so I'm going to hit the hay. Yay for being pleasantly sleepy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Apparently lawyers used to be paid by the word, so they made things as long and convoluted as possible :pac: It also explains why you'll often see four or five words meaning the same thing used together in statutes, for example.

And then there was the tradition of judges coming up with intricate ways of avoiding applying legislation and clinging onto the common law, making judgments longer and longer...they really have no excuse now though, it's not cool! :P In fairness though this case must have been a nightmare to hear, it's insanely complicated and makes very little sense to me!

Silleh law, should definitely have done English or something instead :P

I'm wrecked after today and I have a long day ahead tomorrow so I'm going to hit the hay. Yay for being pleasantly sleepy :)

Ah that makes sense. I swear it's like reading a Jane Eyre book, you forget the point of the sentence before you get to the end of it :D

Congrats Foux!! I'd love to be dedicated enough to write stories, so fair play!

I have that Victoria Beckham thing going on with my face. Not that I'm pretty like her, but I too look like someone's peed in my cereal :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I am a sufferer.

Everytime someone tells me to cheer up I always think of this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Everytime someone tells me to cheer up I always think of this
    Haha, that's me in a nutshell!
    "Why so sad?"
    Me: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Just on the way home from work drinkies, ended the night with Medina Desi curry = win!

Dolorous wrote: »
    Just on the way home from work drinkies, ended the night with Medina Desi curry = win!

I love a good curry!

I just got home from work, made loaded baked potatoes with chorizo and sour cream & chive dip, sooo goood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Life is going awesome!
    Am on top of all my college work for once,
    Nearly out of debt and to top it off baby java has just kicked her daddy in the face while he was talking to belly!first time he felt her! And and and its Friday tomorrow!

javagal wrote: »
    baby java has just kicked her daddy in the face while he was talking to belly!first time he felt her!
    That's love. :D

Also, is the force of the baby kicking really that strong that you can fee-

*passes out*

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

*gives self motivational talk*
    I'm going to stay up until I make a half decent attempt at this essay. No more putting it off. It's only 1800 words. Granted it's my first proper science essay - but still. I finished another revision essay today that was 4 times longer - yet I put this off. And this is worth a % of my grade. I'll make tea and toast and start doing it.

....also - After Hours seems to destroy my faith in Humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That's love. :D

Also, is the force of the baby kicking really that strong that you can fee-

*passes out*

Hurr hurr. You should see the state of a 9m pregnant belly, it's extremely unsettling if you're not prepared. My friend used to make me put a pillow on it when she was over because she was so freaked out.

BTW massive congrats on your story, you'll have to let me know the details, I'd love to read it when it's published!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Euch I have to wash my floors tomorrow. I HATE washing floors it's my least favourite household task.
    I'm buying these:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/KITTY-dust-floor-cleaning-mop-slippers-shoes-cleaner-/310383519957?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&hash=item48444ca8d5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I just got home from work, made loaded baked potatoes with chorizo and sour cream & chive dip, sooo goood! :D

That sounds amazing! I had dinner in Wagamamas tonight and I'm still hungry. :( I'd murder a baked potato

That sounds amazing! I had dinner in Wagamamas tonight and I'm still hungry. :( I'd murder a baked potato

Ohh I'll trade, I love Wagamama! I bought the cookbook so I could make the Chicken Tama Rice every week, delish :)

Ohh I'll trade, I love Wagamama! I bought the cookbook so I could make the Chicken Tama Rice every week, delish :)

Oh can I ask how'd you find the cookbook?
    I love wagamamas but I always imagined the recipies would require special ingredients (my cupboards are very basic) and be a bit difficult

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Posy wrote: »
    Haha, that's me in a nutshell!
    "Why so sad?"
    Me: :confused:

That's what my avatar is about. Someone told me years ago I remind them of whoever it is in my avatar so it's really stuck since.

People are always telling me to smile. It's really f*cking annoying. An ex used to do it all the time as well, used to tell him I smile when I'm not around him. He was a prick, it probably was him that made me look sad when he was around.:D

bubblefett wrote: »
    Oh can I ask how'd you find the cookbook?
    I love wagamamas but I always imagined the recipies would require special ingredients (my cupboards are very basic) and be a bit difficult

I found I needed to buy a few things at the start like fish sauce that I wouldnt usually have lying around, but it wasn't very expensive or hard to find and once you have them you can make most of the recipes then.

I think there are a couple of the books, I got this one and really like it.

I was given Wagamama's "Ways with Noodles" as a present ages ago and it's on my shelf gathering dust. Every time I go shopping for the ingredients I get terribly confused and then scared. :)

I was given Wagamama's "Ways with Noodles" as a present ages ago and it's on my shelf gathering dust. Every time I go shopping for the ingredients I get terribly confused and then scared. :)

That's what I was afraid would happen with me! My cook books are all kids and student cook books (I've a bad habit to burning things/setting them on fire)
    That's good to know Teletextpear, I might look into it again- I'd love to be able to make their ramen or cha han :)

• Advertisement

bubblefett wrote: »
    ramen

> nom nom nom nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I am a sufferer.

A while back I was in a pub and saw someone I kinda recognised but couldnt place from where standing beside me at the bar, she smiled at me in a "hows the form" kind way and it clicked she had been a part time worker in my office for a small time, had left since, probably said two sentences to her before that, I started chatting to her and after a few minutes she told me she didnt realise I was "so friendly" as my neutral face is the frowny stoic type so apparently some of the part timers thought I was pissed off all the time lol

I do hate that "smile it could be worse" thing though, if I look down its because I am, oh and its none of your ****ing business, I'm gonna start telling people I just found out I have cancer and stare at them, just to watch them self combust inside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I used to have a supervisor that would come into my workplace and often comment that I looked miserable.
    I'd just be like "erm.. um.. okay.." How the feck was I meant to reply?!

"Thank you. Actually, I am miserable, this job is awful, you're an asshole so I'm not exactly thrilled by your visit, I had a customer scream in my face for a good ten minutes this morning and I'm practically earning minimum wage. To make matters worse, my knees are aching again, my hair looks like crap, I'm fighting with my best friend, I just got dumped by text and to cap it all off, my goldfish died last night."

At least that might have stopped him commenting on it again. :pac:

Couldn't sleep last night. Did watch Grosse Pointe Blank though so it was very productive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

krudler wrote: »

I do hate that "smile it could be worse" thing though, if I look down its because I am, oh and its none of your ****ing business, I'm gonna start telling people I just found out I have cancer and stare at them, just to watch them self combust inside.

I know of someone who did that. I imagine it stopped the person she said it to from ever telling random passers-by "cheer up, love, it's not the end of the world" again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My friend's Dad answer to "How are ya?" when anyone asks is "Miserable, how are you?". It often says it in a really cheery voice, but sometimes he does say it like his world has just collapsed but never elaborates, and just does it to freak them out, people never know how to react.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just wanted to posted to say thanks to everyone who was commenting about BabyTheTerrible before and after his birth! I don't have much time to be online but it really made me smile to see everyone's best wishes! People are so nice on this thread, I feel part of a real little community, THANKS! :)

PS he was born on Ash Wednesday so pancake Ladies Lounge is out, Ash Ladies Lounge is in!

Ash, what a cool name. Gotta catch em all...POKEMON!

I just made my first ever cheesecake, accidentally read "cream cheese" as "cottage cheese" though. It looks hilarious. These little cheesy lumps in it like tiny marshmallows.

I just made my first ever cheesecake, accidentally read "cream cheese" as "cottage cheese" though. It looks hilarious. These little cheesy lumps in it like tiny marshmallows.

Is it ok or ick?

Is it ok or ick?
    It's setting at the moment. It tastes fine, it's just that that texture is a little...unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pretty much what I thought :)

Ash_Ketchum_BW.png

• Advertisement

It's setting at the moment. It tastes fine, it's just that that texture is a little...unusual.

You have to invent a new name for your new cake now :)

You have to invent a new name for your new cake now :)
    It's a cottagecake. A chocolate cottagecake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Morning all :)

Cottage cheese is actually a decent base for cheesecake when it's all blended to get rid of the lumps! Mix it with sugar-free jelly and it's relatively healthy too!

I require coffee, stat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well I came in at 8 this morning cause I need to leave early and the exchange server was down, so I spent the entire hour playing solitaire and getting paid for it.

Know why I need to leave early? I'm meeting a man for a drink in town this evening. Yes, A MAN. A man who isn't the man I spent the last seven years with. I'm freaking the fcuk out, tbh. At least I have an excuse to leg it early, though, cause I'm meeting friends for dinner at 8. Gaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Just wanted to posted to say thanks to everyone who was commenting about BabyTheTerrible before and after his birth! I don't have much time to be online but it really made me smile to see everyone's best wishes! People are so nice on this thread, I feel part of a real little community, THANKS! :)

PS he was born on Ash Wednesday so pancake Ladies Lounge is out, Ash Ladies Lounge is in!

I genuinely hope his middle name is "Ladies Lounge". Ash Ladies Lounge. Has a ring to it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have finally found my glasses! :) They have been missing for about six weeks, and my poor eyes have been suffering from wearing contact lenses every day. Everyone just thought I was being scatty, but I had ripped my room apart several times looking for them and no luck.

Our remote control also went missing two weeks ago, and my flatmate was getting sick of watching the same channel. While I’d looked under the sofa cushions several times, we realised that there was actually a small gap between the back of the sofa and the seat. My flatmate cut open the bottom of the sofa and we found two remotes (TV and DVD player), my glasses, a bracelet and some change inside it. The landlord will probably never look at the underside of the sofa, right? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Was in Dublin yesterday from 9am to 9pm, leaving this evening at 7pm for Dublin again until 2am, feckin madness! Went shopping there (well, helping a friend shop) for the first time in about 4 years, so that is a grand total of 3 times I've gone shopping in Dublin, online & Galway ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fishie wrote: »
    Our remote control also went missing two weeks ago, and my flatmate was getting sick of watching the same channel.

Um, these telly things, they do have buttons on them you know... :rolleyes:

[old fart mode]
    Back in the day when I was in college, we had a portable telly where you *gasp* had to get up out of the chair to change the channel!!! :eek:
    [/old fart mode]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Family gah! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i accidentally stapled myself!!

fook it hurt!!! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement