Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014/2015 Off-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Derek Norris from Oakland A's to San Diego Padres. Safe to say the Oakland A's opening day lineup in 2015 will be completely unrecognisable from the one in 2014.

You'd wonder is this the year Billy Beane's 'magic' runs out. Although that's probably said every year when he cleans out the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

You'd wonder is this the year Billy Beane's 'magic' runs out. Although that's probably said every year when he cleans out the team.
    Maybe but there is a new kid in town and his name is AJ Preller. Looks like he is rewriting the book on how to make a team a contender...

Coeus wrote: »
    Maybe but there is a new kid in town and his name is AJ Preller. Looks like he is rewriting the book on how to make a team a contender...

He's gone on a bit of a spree alright. How's there pitching do you know? Will they contend or are they still a step back in the NLW?

He's gone on a bit of a spree alright. How's there pitching do you know? Will they contend or are they still a step back in the NLW?
    Its great to see a team who have been mired in mediocrity for so long finally cash in and make some moves. These trades are a big upgrade to their batting lineup. Not sure about them defensively though so I think Preller is not done yet.

Cashner-Ross-Kennedy will lead out the rotation again so they need 2 from a few (JJ, Morrow, Despaigne, Luebke et al). Their bullpen which was pretty decent last season is still mostly intact.

Hard to know if its enough, if the new guys gel and stay off the DL then maybe. The Dodgers are making moves, Friedman is making his mark there. And the Giants despite it been a odd year should bulldog their way into contention.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/12/27/starlin-castro-arrested-cubs-shooting-dominican-republic-nightclub

The worrying thing is the line about this being the second time he's been linked to a shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Scherzer to the Nats?

Morrison J wrote: »
    Scherzer to the Nats?

Bloody hell. That's all we need in the NLE. They had one of the best rotations in baseball before this. Add him in and they're going to be the best by a long way.

Interesting article showing how Sherzer's money is spread out. Could be the way going forward of doing big contracts.

http://deadspin.com/max-scherzers-contract-isnt-quite-as-impressive-as-it-s-1680429105?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Is this not what the Mets did with Bobby Bonilla?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Is this not what the Mets did with Bobby Bonilla?

Don't mention the war...!!!! (touchy subject)

The difference with the Bonilla deal is that instead of just deferring the payments over a longer term, the Mets took the money that Bonilla would have got and invested it in a 'fool proof' investment scheme where the return was going to enough to cover the $1m a year for 30 years or whatever it was and still return a profit.

Sound too good to be true? That's because it was, as it was a Ponzi scheme run by a crook now serving a very long time in jail (Bernie Madoff) and it resulted in a load of people, including the Mets owners losing big.

• Advertisement

They must be looking to avoid luxury tax down the road.

So they are saying Stras is the odd one out & available!

Coeus wrote: »
    They must be looking to avoid luxury tax down the road.

So they are saying Stras is the odd one out & available!

One of the starters probably wil be traded but who, we'll have to wait and see. There's definitely an odd man out now so if they could trade one of them for a big bat or a lights out bullpen arm, they'll be in a great position.

I know this is a few days old but isn't it baffling how an owner that is up to his neck in debt and was conned out of hundreds of millions in a Ponzi scheme has been appointed as the head of MLB's Finance Committee? Kind of ironic as well as stupid though don't you think?

http://fansided.com/2015/01/20/mlb-appoints-man-debt-fred-wilpon-run-books/

As Keith Olberman said on his show earlier in the week, it'd be like the NFL appointing Dan Snyder as head of the race relations department.

Fair play to him for keep trying to come back as he obviously is doing it because he loves the game and not because he needs the money but it's time for Johan Santana to call it a day I think.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=12210154

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

...it's time for Johan Santana to call it a day I think.

I agree. Martin Brodeur in the NHL is in the same boat. At some point you just have to call it quits.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I agree. Martin Brodeur in the NHL is in the same boat. At some point you just have to call it quits.
    Kobe Bryant is another. There comes a point where the mind might be willing but the body isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Thats the Super Bowl over. Time to get down to business!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Thats the Super Bowl over. Time to get down to business!

3 weeks until pitchers & catchers report!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Got tickets for opening day at Safeco Field. Mariners look good on paper this year.

Phils v Giants the only one I have scheduled so far, plus 1 double-A game that doesn't really count

• Advertisement

I was seriously considering heading back over for my first set of games since 2011 this May (and one of my favourite bands, Faith No More are playing in NY the night before the games I had eyed up so could have killed two birds with the one stone) but having checked the finances, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Hopefully 2016 will happen.....

Not many deals going to happen at this stage...

But the biggest undecided move is James Shields..

where is he going?

Not many deals going to happen at this stage...

But the biggest undecided move is James Shields..

where is he going?

Hopefully Red Sox!

8-10 wrote: »
    Hopefully Red Sox!

They need an ace badly.
    Their rotation is so flat.
    When Bucholtz is your main man, its a problem!
    I read somewhere, and I'd like to check, that no team in recent years has won the WS without a recognised ace.

Twitter Update:

@JonHeymanCBS 2 minutes ago New York, USA

red sox are not in on james shields, as @nickcafardo said. we may have to do this by process of elimination.

The other 'where will he land' issue is that Cuban kid Yoan Moncada. All of these Cuban stars have been hits recently, will this continue with him?

The other 'where will he land' issue is that Cuban kid Yoan Moncada. All of these Cuban stars have been hits recently, will this continue with him?

Alex Guerrero wasn't! (but then again he had his ear bitten off before getting a run in the majors)

8-10 wrote: »
    Alex Guerrero wasn't! (but then again he had his ear bitten off before getting a run in the majors)

True. I had forgotten about him (which probably proves your point)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think the Red Sox soldier on for now without an ace and probably trade for one a few months into the season. Johnny Cueto or Jordan Zimmerman hopefully..

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think the Red Sox soldier on for now without an ace and probably trade for one a few months into the season. Johnny Cueto or Jordan Zimmerman hopefully..

I want Cole Hamels, sooner rather than later. Phillies want Swihart though allegedly

Advertisement