Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl introduce Nespresso compatible capsules

Options
  • 08-06-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Lidl Ireland announcement on Twitter: "Introducing our Bellarom coffee capsules that are compatible with Nespresso machines!Each box of 10 is priced at €1.99"

Seems to be plenty positive reaction and reviews coming in already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Conba wrote: »
    Lidl Ireland announcement on Twitter: "Introducing our Bellarom coffee capsules that are compatible with Nespresso machines!Each box of 10 is priced at €1.99"

This can only be a good thing. Nespresso pods are way overpriced and it's a pain in the hole to have to buy them from the pompous boutique in Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

Anyone tried them? When are they in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Saw them today so are already on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nightowlzaphod

As much as I enjoy the trip to Brown Thomas to collect my capsules, took a trip down to Lidl this afternoon and there were three varieties on offer.

Ristretto ( Intensity 10 )
    Classico ( Intensity 4 )
    Azzuro ( Intensity 5 - Lungo )

These appear to be the same as the other 'alternate' capsules you could buy off amazon. Plastic pots wrapped in a foil bag. These are not the same molded aluminium lifestyle pots from Nespresso.

They cost 1.99 Euro per pack of 10, so you can probably do the maths.

Taste ? We'll I've just tried the Azzuro and it was 6-7/10 , an OK cup of Lungo, I would think that if you're adding milk to your coffee then the Ristretto will be excellent value for money. I'll run through the box and then decide if I'll be buying again. Not blown away but far from dreadful.

Note : Not sure what the long term effects of these plastic pots will be on the machine , the capsule was a little stiff going in , however , it fell out as normal after coffee production.

I understand that Tesco are going to start selling these alternate capsules soon.

I brought home a box each of the classico and ristretto today and had one of each.
    The classico was okay - just. I'll work through them until I can get into BT before the end of the week. The ristretto was absolutely vile - a gritty texture and a horrible, lingering aftertaste. The rest of the box is going in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

it's a pain in the hole to have to buy them from the pompous boutique in Brown Thomas.
    My missus just orders them in batches from the Nespresso website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

No Pants wrote: »
    My missus just orders them in batches from the Nespresso website.

... stg£9.99 delivery fee... and then a wait to see if the Postman arrives while you're home... I'll certainly be giving these Lidl ones a bash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    stg£9.99 delivery fee
    That's why she orders them in batches. My point is that you don't have to go to Brown Thomas.

Doesn't bother me either way. I only drink coffee if it's got whiskey or Baileys in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Tried the Lungo, and I was not impressed so I will just keep paying the premium for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ang1170

One slight problem - they're not actually compatible. I bought a load of them today to try out, and they wouldn't fit in our machine!

Will have to take them back. I'm surprised they can get away with calling the compatible, when they're clearly not.

A pity, as I've always disliked only having one source of the coffee for the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ang1170 wrote: »
    One slight problem - they're not actually compatible. I bought a load of them today to try out, and they wouldn't fit in our machine!

Will have to take them back. I'm surprised they can get away with calling the compatible, when they're clearly not.

A pity, as I've always disliked only having one source of the coffee for the machine.

Is your machine a new model? I've heard some of the new machines have changes under the hood to stop people using non-nespresso pods.

For me, I'm happy with Nespresso, there's 3 shops close to where I live and I don't drink so much that the cost is a factor. I'll keep buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ang1170

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is your machine a new model? I've heard some of the new machines have changes under the hood to stop people using non-nespresso pods.

For me, I'm happy with Nespresso, there's 3 shops close to where I live and I don't drink so much that the cost is a factor. I'll keep buying from them.

No, it's a few years old. It's a Miele, one of the advantages of which is you can load it up with about 30 or so pods. Even if they did fit, the Lidl ones would not be suitable for this, as they are individually wrapped: you'd have to unwrap them and feed them in one at a time, which removes one of the advantages of the particular machine.

A pity, as I've always disliked having a single source supplier.

I'm a bit puzzled as to how Lidl can advertise them as compatible, when they're not.

So far, I haven't got round to bringing them back: it'll be interesting to see do they question the return (as far as I'm concerned, they are not as described and hence they have to take them back).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

No probs with them in citiZ. Quite like the ristretto, and for the price and the convenience of not having to order online, it's a win win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ailer37

Just bought the ristretto I was hesitant in buying as I've tried all the alternatives in the market at present but none taste as smooth as nespresso! Will not be buying from anywhere only the nespresso website. They also deliver by courier which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a big fan of Nespresso, but these pods work perfectly in our work machine. Will do a blind taste test at some point, but certainly no noticeable difference in quality (or at least there are none that would warrant paying almost twice the price).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lidl Pods work perfectly in our Krups Maestria machine.

Also, on the cost, we normally buy in bulk from the Nespresso website, if you buy 200 or more capsules you get free delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Tried all of these. I drank a full box of these and I don't think they're good. I'll stick to the nespresso capsules as I find they taste better, there is a better range, I don't shop in lidl so I have to go out of my way to get them, BTs is also one of the main shops I shop in so it's really easy to just pop up stairs when I'm in there to get them and lastly I can use my BT loyalty card and get points while buying the capsules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Tried all of these. I drank a full box of these and I don't think they're good. I'll stick to the nespresso capsules as I find they taste better, there is a better range, I don't shop in lidl so I have to go out of my way to get them, BTs is also one of the main shops I shop in so it's really easy to just pop up stairs when I'm in there to get them and lastly I can use my BT loyalty card and get points while buying the capsules.

You're well off. We get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So you get all of the inconvenience, all of the extra cost and all of the landfill? :confused:
    Why not invest in a reusable pod, or an alternative method of making coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Dealz are selling a version of these now aswell. I'm not sure how many are in the box, but they're €1.49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

From George Clooney and BT to Dealz.
    Nestle must be rethinking how they position their Nespresso Club.

There's not much to rethink. Drop the price a bit and sell 'em in Dunnes and Tesco.

There's not much to rethink. Drop the price a bit and sell 'em in Dunnes and Tesco.

Not going to happen I'd say it seems like Nespresso pride themslef in their exclusivity and won't lower the brand name. However they'll probably do something to the new machines to prevent the use of knock off capsules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Why?

Hardly the same demographic visiting those two shops?

Also, I think they have growth of over 30% every year for the last 20+ years. I'm sure they are very worried about Dealz!

And after trying the Lidl ones I will not be trying again. The plastic capsule is not strong enough for my machine and kept getting stuck. Apart altogether from the poor taste of the Lidl coffee itself!

Why?

Hardly the same demographic visiting those two shops?

You'd be very surprised how untrue this statement is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Also, I think they have growth of over 30% every year for the last 20+ years. I'm sure they are very worried about Dealz!
    I think they'd be running the planet by now if that was anywhere near accurate...

Thargor wrote: »
    I think they'd be running the planet by now if that was anywhere near accurate...

I think its actually closer to 20% and starting to slow down in recent years thought however the increase in sales year on years is extremely impressive.

On Maxwell Smart's point I'd have to agree its not the same demographic visiting both Dealz and Brown Thomas.

On Maxwell Smart's point I'd have to agree its not the same demographic visiting both Dealz and Brown Thomas.

Why do you say that?

<lovin' the direction this thread is headed>

• Advertisement

Myself, my family and a lot of my friends shop regularly in both :confused:

Advertisement