Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JC off topic '12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

paddyzk wrote: »
    Sleeping in is a gift from the gods.

To me it depends on how late I've stayed up, If I go to bed reasonably early, I can't stay in bed at all.. however I do love sleeping in when I've stayed up late... I could never sleep in as a child and was always first up as I never went to bed late..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

SChique00 wrote: »

Cos I'm a TY and I used to get p!ssed at the 5th years who'd post on the TY OT thread :p

We're one of them now unfortunately.. the 'threadless' TY's XD

Suppose I should introduce maself, I'm Leia :') I technically should only be in 3rd year this year cos I'm young, so sure I fit right in here XD

But yeah, same goes as what SChique00 said, if anybody has any questions about anything feel free to ask, my specialities would be science and maths but I did alright in everything else too ^^

Slow Show wrote: »
    If anyone needs help with JC English PM me and I'll do my best - I asked for help with it last year and was very lucky to get great advice from another Boardsie - don't know if she's still knocking around, though :L just putting it out there! :)

That wasn't me, was it? :p

Into mod mode...: you can have this thread but be good, there is such a thing as going too off-topic (last year's thread was evidence of that). Godspeed.

*cough* Let's just forget about last years thread shall we? XD
    Quite funny to read back over a year later though :')

Indiego wrote: »

Suppose I should introduce maself, I'm Leia :') I technically should only be in 3rd year this year cos I'm young, so sure I fit right in here XD

But yeah, same goes as what SChique00 said, if anybody has any questions about anything feel free to ask, my specialities would be science and maths but I did alright in everything else too ^^

Sup Leia .. how do you pronounce that?? .. Were you moved up a year or did you start school early?

Sup Leia .. how do you pronounce that?? .. Were you moved up a year or did you start school early?

Lay-ah :) (not Lee-ah, I will hate anybody who calls me that eternally ^^')

I started school early, youngest in my year now, it sucks being half a year younger than everyone :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

my specialities would be science and maths
    Hi Leia.I have a question :) How did you study for maths after the mocks ?I got 86% in the mock and i haven't done anything since then.Every time I open my exam papers to study I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time, as I could be studying my weaker subjects.Not really sure what to do

I started school early, youngest in my year now, it sucks being half a year younger than everyone :'(

My first guess would have been lee-ah.. awkward :P :P
    I think you should look at it differently, you've achieved just as much as they have, perhaps more... but you've done it at a younger age.
    Think of it this way.. Two Men..or women are millionaire's...one became a millionaire when they were 19, the other when they were 27, which would you rather be?

my specialities would be science and maths
    Hi Leia.I have a question :) How did you study for maths after the mocks ?I got 86% in the mock and i haven't done anything since then.Every time I open my exam papers to study I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time, as I could be studying my weaker subjects.Not really sure what to do

Firstly, well done for doing so well I'm the mocks! I found the mocks in maths the hardest because we hadn't gotten the course finished :L

I only did two things to study for maths, and i swear by them, and they got me an A :L
    All I did was pick a question (eq P1Q1) and do every single one of them I had, because as you do them you notice the trends in the questions, and get used to answering them :L by the time the exams had rolled around id done every exam paper twice XD And as for learning theorems, what I did was make mind maps, putting the name in the middle and putting the steps around it, made them really easy to remember :L

Don't fall into the trap of doing less work on good subjects, yes, put more focus on your worse subjects, but still spend time on maths, one of the tricks to maths is staying familiar with it, if you do one question a day just to keep the 'cogs' turning in your brain youll do yourself a huge favor in the exams :L

My first guess would have been lee-ah.. awkward :P :P

*shakes fist

It's a common misconception :L But now you know so don't make the mistake again, ill let you off this one time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Thank you! I was afraid I'd come across as a bit of a creeper haha :rolleyes: don't be afraid to ask me anything about the JC that you might be worried or curious about :)
    Is the trouble with Irish a case of you not understanding the stuff or just not studying enough? If you really don't understand it then you should consider grinds. I got grinds for Maths last year (it wasn't a case of my not working hard enough, I seriously needed them if I wanted to pass at HL :( ), and they were well worth the money. They really are a last resort - if you're just a little worried about specific topics on the paper, have a chat with your teacher and maybe they could give you some lessons after school, or revision notes? Teachers are always willing to listen to you if they know you're genuine :)
    Ugh Business was the only paper where I went down a grade - went from an A to a B and was really disappointed, but slightly less so when I found out that only one person in our year got an A :P I went up in everything else though - all I remember about the mocks was that I got 3 As (one in History, one in French and one in Business), but I ended up getting 6 As in the real exam :D
    After the mocks was when I really started to study after school and on weekends, but here's what the teachers and revision books won't tell you - as long as you've been doing all of your homework consistently since first year, and have held onto any notes the teachers gave you, then just look back over them and you'll be grand - it'll be more a case of mild revision than anything else. Go over your mock papers if you got them back, aim to do one full paper a week in each subject and give them to your teacher to correct, and most important of all, DON'T WORK TOO HARD. Please, PLEASE make sure you have enough downtime each day - I panicked and stressed and fretted because all I wanted was an A in English, and it got me nowhere; I would've gotten exactly the same results without the stress because I had worked consistently all along. :pac:
    WOW that was a long post :eek:

I second that.

Balance between study and down-time is key.

Seriously, fretting and wearing yourself out from 'hours spent as a recluse studying in your room, (with blacked out windows), clad in fatigue' will get you nowhere...

Tóg go bog é!

*shakes fist

It's a common misconception :L But now you know so don't make the mistake again, ill let you off this one time :P

Won't happen again.. I promise :P

May I ask what subjects you picked for fifth year?

I second that.

Seriously, fretting and wearing yourself out from 'hours spent as a recluse studying in your room, (with blacked out windows), clad in fatigue' will get you nowhere...

Tóg go bog é!

Are you in TY too?

*shakes fist

Won't happen again.. I promise :P

May I ask what subjects you picked for fifth year?

We aren't being given out options till after the break (:'() but what I'm hoping for is biology, physics, Spanish and geography, and I'm doing chemistry (unofficially - not taking the exam) outside of school because by school is ghey and doesn't offer it, and I'm probably going to do applied maths outside of school, with the intention of taking the exam, because yet again my school doesn't do that either -_-

And yourself? :L

Are you in TY too?

I am indeed.

If you need a hand with German or any other subject send me a PM! :)

I am indeed.

We only do French in my school... but some science tips wouldn't go astray. I got a C in the mocks with minimal study..

• Advertisement

Are you in TY too?

I am indeed.

How TY treating ya? :) haven't seen you around in a while :L

All of a sudden this thread is over-run with Ty-er's .. not that I'm complaining, I don't know if you've noticed but the JC forum is lifeless these days..

JC forum is lifeless these days..
    true story,there's like 30/40 posts in each in thread.I say we make this thread the best :pac:

So where in the country is everyone from? :)
    I reside in wicklow :')

We only do French in my school... but some science tips wouldn't go astray. I got a C in the mocks with minimal study..

As has been said so many times before, 'do a little a lot'.

I made short concise notes at the end of every chapter with simple diagrams that helped me to remember the info. With this I jotted down all relevant exam questions to the chapter.

After studying a chapter, I tried the exam question under exam conditions and later marked it using the M. scheme. If something's wrong, mark it wrong, don't just mark it right because you know what you meant. Then with your concise notes keep track of errors made in the question you just did. Highlighting this will help to tattoo the mistake on the inside of your eyelids so you won't make it again.

Watch Science programmes like Physics of the Impossible, really helps you to get to grips with terminology.

Buy Focus! Great magazine.

When you're out and about think of all the Science happening around you. Mar shampla, why the grass is green; why the sky is blue; a child jumps out of a boat onto the pier, what will be velocity of the boat be on the water after the child steps out?

Think about the atoms that make up everything around you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Slow Show wrote: »
    That wasn't me, was it? :p

Into mod mode...: you can have this thread but be good, there is such a thing as going too off-topic (last year's thread was evidence of that). Godspeed.

Hello again! Yep, you did give me some well-heeded advice, but PianoLover99 was a big help during my time of need - has anyone heard from her in the last while? :)

Waterford :) be very surprised to find other people from Waterford in this exact thread.

I second that.

Tóg go bog é!

ILoveConverse! It's been a while - haven't heard from you since the TY OT days :o how've you been? :D

How TY treating ya? :) haven't seen you around in a while :L

Best year of my life! :D YS was prob the biggest highlight!

Constant work-load, TY is not 'a doss' by any means.

You? :)

I tend to lurk about, posting randomly.

You're so modest!
    SHE GOT 10 AS, PEOPLE :D

ILoveConverse! It's been a while - haven't heard from you since the TY OT days :o how've you been? :D

Those were the days. :p Speaking of Top Gear if I remember rightly, hand-brakes and hills.

My gosh, it's so dead now.

How's TY treating you? :D

Best year of my life! :D YS was prob the biggest highlight!

Constant work-load, TY is not 'a doss' by any means.

You? :)

I tend to lurk about, posting randomly.

Well I'm glad you're enjoying it - I'm just started to get bored at this stage. I'm waiting for the year to hurry up and finish so I can get back into some proper work...
    What subjects did you pick? :)

Wicklow and Waterford, ya's aren't too far away from me. I myself hide away here in Wexford.

Wicklow and Waterford, ya's aren't too far away from me. I myself hide away here in Wexford.

There's a lad in my woodwork class who spent first year in a school in Wexford.He never has good things to say about it ;)

I'm in Fundalk or thereabouts :D

• Advertisement

Well I'm glad you're enjoying it - I'm just started to get bored at this stage. I'm waiting for the year to hurry up and finish so I can get back into some proper work...
    What subjects did you pick? :)

I like you will enjoy getting back to the old routine. :)

Were you at YS this year?

German
    History
    Physics
    Chemistry

You? :D

I like you will enjoy getting back to the old routine. :)

Were you at YS this year?

German
    History
    Physics
    Chemistry

You? :D

I shall - can't wait for fifth year - one year closer to getting away from the twits I only have an age in common with and finally going to college! :D
    Nope - I am in no way scientifically or logically inclined xP heard it was good though!
    Is anyone entering the CareerSkills competition? :)

Well, I have to do a European Language (French), and I chose Accounting, Business, History and Biology - a nice wee mixture, I think
    :p

I'm in Fundalk or thereabouts :D

How come everybody here seems to be from Dublin, Louth or Wicklow?

There's a lad in my woodwork class who spent first year in a school in Wexford.He never has good things to say about it ;)

Which school was it do ya know, btw I'm not suprised, apart form the sexy people, like myself :P .. wexford's reaaaaaaally boring.

IKR? People in the west still mustn't have electricity :rolleyes:
    I'd love if someone here was from Mayo :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Waterford :) be very surprised to find other people from Waterford in this exact thread.

Try your moderator! :P

achem, WEXFORD

I shall - can't wait for fifth year - one year closer to getting away from the twits I only have an age in common with and finally going to college! :D
    Nope - I am in no way scientifically or logically inclined xP heard it was good though!
    Is anyone entering the CareerSkills competition? :)

Well, I have to do a European Language (French), and I chose Accounting, Business, History and Biology - a nice wee mixture, I think
    :p

That's a good spread. :D History buddy (Love it!)

Ah same, some people... :rolleyes: College will be great, finally get to meet more like-minded people.

That's a good spread. :D History buddy (Love it!)

Ah same, some people... :rolleyes: College will be great, finally get to meet more like-minded people.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

IKR? People in the west still mustn't have electricity :rolleyes:
    I'd love if someone here was from Mayo :D

I don't know how this computer is working so! :p

C'mon the West!

I don't know how this computer is working so! :p

C'mon the West!

Laptop with replace-able batteries?

Which school was it do ya know
    I'll be sure to ask him

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

I've lost all will to study. I promised myself I would today and did all right..... Studied history and chemistry and french because I LURV EM.

But,like,geography...effort.

Oh and I did an English exam question on poetry because Patrick Kavanagh is a babe.

ohsurelook wrote: »
    I've lost all will to study. I promised myself I would today and did all right..... Studied history and chemistry and french because I LURV EM.

But,like,geography...effort.

Oh and I did an English exam question on poetry because Patrick Kavanagh is a babe.
    The way you speak.I like that sh*t.

The way you speak.I like that sh*t

tnx bbz luff yhew tew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Good luck catching up with the LC OT lads, almost hit 10'000, the shame:o

ohsurelook wrote: »
    tnx bbz luff yhew tew
    ex oh ex hun

Eathrin wrote: »
    Good luck catching up with the LC OT lads, almost hit 10'000, the shame:o
    soon.

Good luck catching up with the LC OT lads, almost hit 10'000, the shame

LC people,God love them. Imagine. Doing an exam that actually matters....

Leia, how many posts did we rack up on the TY OT thread? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement