Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I only realised this later when I stuck both PC beside each other. There's a reason the 600C is very easy to build in...

eTjTkIj.jpg

It's flipping massive! Must be nearly 3" wider than the 500R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Interesting video just really backing up what's frequently said here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Interesting video just really backing up what's frequently said here.

Yup, Force is still strong with Sandy. I bet I can easily get another few years out of my 2500k, but might upgrade 680.

2500k is still one of the best bang for the money CPUs in history when it comes to gaming. 5 years and still gives a run for its money to all new cpus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My xeon x5660 is best bang for buck for me. 8 years I am rocking that x58 system. I originally had a i7 920 in there then picked up xeon for €80. My passmark score for that chip overclocked at 4.2GHz is 11,020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

775 lads, none of this fancy smancy 1366 nonsense. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well the games they tested and the settings they tested at meant they were largely GPU bound, which didn't give their new CPU room to stretch it's legs. Not that an overclocked 2600k isn't a very solid gaming CPU, but there would have been much more obvious gains if they tested in more games that tended to be CPU bound (generally MMO and RTS style games).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gumbi wrote: »
    Well the games they tested and the settings they tested at meant they were largely GPU bound, which didn't give their new CPU room to stretch it's legs. Not that an overclocked 2600k isn't a very solid gaming CPU, but there would have been much more obvious gains if they tested in more games that tended to be CPU bound (generally MMO and RTS style games).

Isn't GTA quite CPU heavy?

Isn't GTA quite CPU heavy?

Which just so happened to see the biggest gains for them. It's not entirely CPU bound like some games are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

deceit wrote: »
    Don't downgrade to the 360mb service. Its god awful. My house mate got it and we had nothing but problems, we ended up going back to 250mb.
    The modem is such a piece of ****, I never thought I would want to go back to the horizon box. In the new modem the processor seems to be really under powered as trying to complete anything on it seems to take forever.
    Also on speed tests it shows you get the advertised speed but even for it responding to standard internet requests their seems to be a delay before it kicks in and roots traffic correctly.
    They also say their is no additional cost to upgrade until it comes to the first months bill where you get charged 60 for the piece of crap modem (I worked in pen testing the likes of these modems, they usually cost 10-15 euros), They also charge you your full old bill plus half a month of the new broadband bill. For the first month it doubled our cost.
    Until they remove this piece of crap from the service don't touch it:
    http://arris.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000REF5TAAX&c=Touchstone%20Modems%20and%20Gateways
    This is the benefits we see from Virgin re branding :(.
    For the first time since moving to UPC I am considering dumping it.

Bit of a necro, but as a new "Virgin Meida Ireland" customer... That. A thousand times, that.

We're on 240Mb here, and even then we get this god-awful thing forced on us. About 30% of the time it works fine, but the other 70% there's anywhere from a 2-3 second to a 20 second delay before the thing wakes up an realises it has waiting HTTP requests pending.

Don't even get me started on multiple users. You have Steam downloading updates? Good luck using your browser, or anyone else's.

Fancy downloading a Linux distro via BitTorrent? Grand, just don't expect to do anything else while it's on the way down.

Anyone have an EPC3925 they're not using? :(

Edit: For instance, it took 14 seconds from hitting the post button for this to show up.
    Edit2: and 27 seconds for the edit to save!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Boards is janky at the mo, I wouldn't be using it for testing response times.

• Advertisement

Boards is janky at the mo, I wouldn't be using it for testing response times.

Well, for me Boards is just as bad as everything else. That might give you some idea. Solid 30+ seconds to load maps.google.com just there, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,634 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man just bought another 980ti lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Headshot wrote: »

Hate when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,634 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Hate when that happens.

The card was calling out to me, basically invading my dreams

No 980ti please no

Serephucus wrote: »
    We're on 240Mb here, and even then we get this god-awful thing forced on us. About 30% of the time it works fine, but the other 70% there's anywhere from a 2-3 second to a 20 second delay before the thing wakes up an realises it has waiting HTTP requests pending.

Don't even get me started on multiple users. You have Steam downloading updates? Good luck using your browser, or anyone else's.

Fancy downloading a Linux distro via BitTorrent? Grand, just don't expect to do anything else while it's on the way down.

Anyone have an EPC3925 they're not using? :(

Edit: For instance, it took 14 seconds from hitting the post button for this to show up.
    Edit2: and 27 seconds for the edit to save!

Are you using the Compal or the new Horizon junker? The Compal has been rating well over on the BB sub, nice .11AC radio in her.

If it is a compal and still falling over:

1. Check you aren't on DSLite, that f'cks everything and often gets enabled when a new modem is delivered.
    2. You can bridge, they've made it easy to do too this time. Buy a real router and never look back.

Can't use anybody else's kit and its theft for them to sell it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tripped fell over and bought a lovely new card.
    Hate when that happens.
    Enjoy the card.
    Your playing at 4k super ultra i assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

ED E wrote: »
    Are you using the Compal or the new Horizon junker? The Compal has been rating well over on the BB sub, nice .11AC radio in her.

1. Check you aren't on DSLite, that f'cks everything and often gets enabled when a new modem is delivered.
    2. You can bridge, they've made it easy to do too this time. Buy a real router and never look back.

What's the compal? Is that a stand-alone modem? (not integrated into cable tv box like horizon)

I'm on UPC/Virgin horizon box at the moment and I want to keep my service (tv/broadband/phone) but I really want to separate the cable modem from the tv box. The router in horizon is terrible (and I'm not even talking about the wifi, I mean the wired router).

Luck100 wrote: »
    What's the compal? Is that a stand-alone modem? (not integrated into cable tv box like horizon)

I'm on UPC/Virgin horizon box at the moment and I want to keep my service (tv/broadband/phone) but I really want to separate the cable modem from the tv box. The router in horizon is terrible (and I'm not even talking about the wifi, I mean the wired router).

Horizon is an absolutely dire Samsung unit. If you order 360Mb with Horizon you get a newer copy of the same, still shíte. If you order 360Mb with no Horizon you get a Compal which is surprisingly good for UPC/VM(Liberty).

Anyone with Horizon can also pay €45 to deconsolidate and turn off the internet in Horizon and get a real modem/router delivered (it becomes a dumb TV STB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Whats the lead time on motherboard stock? At least a month I'd guess so we still have a little while before new boards are locked from factory.

• Advertisement

Compal. I have an Archer C7 on order either way. I also just got confirmation that a Technicolor is on the way to me (PMed one of the reps here).

1. I'm not. Was originally, after a bit of yelling on social media I got put back on IPv4.
    2. I actually tried that, but with a somewhat unreliable router, so was inconclusive.

Surprisingly, after a few resets, it actually seems to be behaving itself. I'm semi-tempted to cancel the Technicolor, but either way I'm going to be bridging it, so it probably doesn't matter a huge amount. It is much easier to bridge with the Compal though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Horizon is an absolutely dire Samsung unit. If you order 360Mb with Horizon you get a newer copy of the same, still shíte. If you order 360Mb with no Horizon you get a Compal which is surprisingly good for UPC/VM(Liberty).

Anyone with Horizon can also pay €45 to deconsolidate and turn off the internet in Horizon and get a real modem/router delivered (it becomes a dumb TV STB).

Thanks ED E, it's crazy that I can't get that info from Virgin's own webpage. I want TV so I guess I'm stuck with the Horizon TV box. If I deconsolidate, do I get the compal? Or do they send out some other modem? I don't mind the horizon box for TV as long as I get a reliable modem that can be bridged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I currently have two GTX 970S in SLI. I have a 144Hz 2560x1440 FreeSync monitor. I also have a secondary 2560x1440 monitor (QNIX QX2710).

Need an opinion as to which idea is less crazy:

1. I could sell one monitor and get myself a 144hz 1440p GSync monitor so I can utilise it with my SLI setup. Briefly looking on Amazon shows I'll be spending somewhere in the region of €750 on this.

2. I could sell both of my GTX 970s and get 1 or 2 AMD cards so I can use the FreeSync in my monitor. Haven't really looked much into this but I imagine two cards powerful enough to outdo SLI 970s will cost much more than a new GSync monitor.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Thanks ED E, it's crazy that I can't get that info from Virgin's own webpage. I want TV so I guess I'm stuck with the Horizon TV box. If I deconsolidate, do I get the compal? Or do they send out some other modem? I don't mind the horizon box for TV as long as I get a reliable modem that can be bridged.

If you're on 120/240Mb you'll probably get a Ubee(Not great, not easily bridged) but on 360Mb you'll get a Compal as it and HorizonV2 are the only capable units.

Danger781 wrote: »
    I currently have two GTX 970S in SLI. I have a 144Hz 2560x1440 FreeSync monitor. I also have a secondary 2560x1440 monitor (QNIX QX2710).

Need an opinion as to which idea is less crazy:

1. I could sell one monitor and get myself a 144hz 1440p GSync monitor so I can utilise it with my SLI setup. Briefly looking on Amazon shows I'll be spending somewhere in the region of €750 on this.

2. I could sell both of my GTX 970s and get 1 or 2 AMD cards so I can use the Freesync in my monitor. Haven't really looked much into this but I imagine two cards powerful enough to outdo SLI 970s will cost much more than a new GSync monitor.

Hi
    A single 390x will rock 1440p at max or near enough to max. Or a fury nano is a better option but slightly dearer. You might be better waiting for the new cards and get one of those.
    Why change though? That set up should rock 1440p and not much point in spending 2-300 for freesync or more for gsync just cos.
    If your getting alot of tearing and stuttering then mighte worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Hi
    A single 390x will rock 1440p at max or near enough to max. Or a fury nano is a better option but slightly dearer. You might be better waiting for the new cards and get one of those.
    Why change though? That set up should rock 1440p and not much point in spending 2-300 for freesync or more for gsync just cos.
    If your getting alot of tearing and stuttering then mighte worth a go.

Well...
    Redfox25 wrote: »
    just cos.

Pretty much this :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I had a similar experience, except it was a Mars bar.

I hate being poor.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Well...

Pretty much this :P
    Sounds like a good idea so. Good luck with it so.
    Am resisting an upgrase myself as its been ages or 3 months since last bought anything. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

IN the process of gathering new parts for a PC. Had pretty much settled on one case and then mistakenly kept looking and found this thing of beauty:

Evolv-ATX-1.jpg

To make matters worse, all the review seem to say it's fantastic. The only problem is that it will cost about €200 to get to Ireland. Is this crazy money to spend on a case? Last time out I spent ~€120 on a 500r which is a great case and the price was grand as well, but can I justify spending €200 on just a case?

Any opinions/reassurance greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

farna_boy wrote: »
    IN the process of gathering new parts for a PC. Had pretty much settled on one case and then mistakenly kept looking and found this thing of beauty:

Evolv-ATX-1.jpg

To make matters worse, all the review seem to say it's fantastic. The only problem is that it will cost about €200 to get to Ireland. Is this crazy money to spend on a case? Last time out I spent ~€120 on a 500r which is a great case and the price was grand as well, but can I justify spending €200 on just a case?

Any opinions/reassurance greatly appreciated :)

There is a micro atx version which is cheaper.if that's an option (still looking at €140 min including delivery). Cheapest for the atx seems for be mind factory around €200 delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was actually looking at those on OCUK yesterday. Think they have one of the models in the B-Grade section at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'd have no problem spending that much on a case if I knew that a) I was going to get more than one build out of it, and b) the money spent on it wasn't going to impact on the quality of the rest of the system.

I do like the Evolv though, but I've seen some users say that the front panel isn't conducive to good airflow.

Lads does anyone know if switching smartphone to "charge only mode" when connected to USB on PC speeds up the charging? 'Tis a OnePlus Two I have. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fúck maplins with a cactus. Power supply isn't getting re-stocked, ever. Such a waste of time waiting.... >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gumbi wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know if switching smartphone to "charge only mode" when connected to USB on PC speeds up the charging? 'Tis a OnePlus Two I have. Thanks!

It does AFAIK, mightn't make a huge deal if regular charge is too slow anyways though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I got the new v2 box and hit a brick wall with trying to get the compal. to the point that I cancelled the deal under the 14 day distance selling rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was actually looking at those on OCUK yesterday. Think they have one of the models in the B-Grade section at the moment.

Thanks for pointing that out. Just pulled the trigger there and got that. I feel a whole lot better about about €160 for it than closer to €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Quick question about the fan controller installation for the nanoxia Deep Silence 3. For some reason the fans aren't turning. There are six fan connectors, and a two pin molex which have been connected up. There is no female fan connector that I can see so the cpu fan is connected to the M/B. Any advice?

tadcan wrote: »
    Quick question about the fan controller installation for the nanoxia Deep Silence 3. For some reason the fans aren't turning. There are six fan connectors, and a two pin molex which have been connected up. There is no female fan connector that I can see so the cpu fan is connected to the M/B. Any advice?

I have the DS1, and found that when I upgraded my fans (from the stock ones to 3 pin Noctua ones), the new fans were a lot more sensitive and weren't tightly connected. Whether it's a flaw on Noctua's end or Nanoxia's I don't know. Move the connectors around a bit and make sure they're tightly connected (and then use tape or some such to maintain the connection).

Long shot but could be the issue. Never had any issues with my fan controller.

• Advertisement

No dice, I wonder if the pci to molex power cable is the problem, not sure what is handy to test it. May just leave it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.kimeraindustries.com/cerberus/#cerberus-hero

Gonna be keeping an eye on this one.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://www.kimeraindustries.com/cerberus/#cerberus-hero

Gonna be keeping an eye on this one.

Yup, I'd be interested to see a build with this case, especially what the cable management is like. I presume their is no room to add anything to the front, DVD drive, extra ports, fan controller etc.

Just upgraded my CPU in my mian desktop, and was considering replacing my media centre CPU (pentium g630) with the one I took out (3470) and selling the g630. But looking on adverts it only looks like it would be worth maybe €15, hardly worth selling. Might sell the 3470 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Just upgraded my CPU in my mian desktop, and was considering replacing my media centre CPU (pentium g630) with the one I took out (3470) and selling the g630. But looking on adverts it only looks like it would be worth maybe €15, hardly worth selling. Might sell the 3470 instead.

The G630 is still really decent for an all-around machine unless you're actually pushing the CPU in what you're doing with it. a 3470 should fetch about 80 euro. I used to even play BF3 on a G640 actually.

Also...played some Fallout 4 on my housemates PS4 actually and I was surprised at how bad it looks/feels for the 'next gen' consoles.

They are nowhere near as good now as the 360 and PS3 were at their release dates. I remember I had a decent gaming PC and an Xbox 360 in 2006 and COD2 looked incredible on the 360, I was really impressed - it was every bit as good as my gaming PC (can't remember the exact spec but I think it was an E6700 with an X800).

I have an XB1 myself and I'm incredibly disappointed with the image quality considering the console came out nearly 10 years after the 360.

Older news now, but I don't remember seeing it mentioned here. What are people's thoughts on this monster:

I was going to wait for a 21:9 G-Sync VA something, but honestly... I think I might just wait for OLED anything. I'm actually considering just buying this thing, if I didn't know there'd be a €2,000 option by the end of the year. (probably)

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Worth it for the easy cable management :pac:

900d-mitx-installation.jpg

Just saw an advert (on adverts) that reminded me of this!

An itx motherboard in a CM690!

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-pc-amd-kabini-5350-asus-am1i-a-coolermaster-690/9852986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Finally pulled the trigger on the PG279Q. Amazon had it relatively low priced compared to everywhere else. Now to worry about upgrading my 760 and probably power supply. Gonna wait for Pascal at this stage, see if the power savings from the new node allow me to keep my 500W PSU.

Lads I swear to God selling on Adverts can be fierce frustrating!!! Just had someone offer me a Dell box (no specs or anything, could easily be 7, 8 years old) and not enough cash cash for a very capable gaming system...

Don't get me started on Adverts. Some of the time things can go well, but it's seen a gradual decline over the years of more and more time-wasters and low-ballers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement