Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Link to story here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0520/1224297356441.html

Text:
    TRAVELLERS HAVE been urged not to book tickets unless their documents are in date, due to a massive surge in demand at the Passport Service.

With applications for passport renewals rising to record levels, it is taking up to a week longer than the normal two-week period to process applications. Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore blamed the surge partly on an increase in the popularity of last-minute foreign holidays, which has led to unprecedented numbers of applications for passports at short notice. Spring and early summer is normally the busiest time at the Passport Service and queues have again formed at its office on Molesworth Street, Dublin.

Requests for passports are running at 13 per cent higher than last year, amounting to an average 4,260 a day. On two days last week, however, 5,200 applications were received, 700 more than the previous record number of applications for a single day.

The trend threatens a repeat of the chaos of last year, when delays of up to five weeks resulted in many travellers missing flights or having to reschedule them. Mr Gilmore promised this week to reduce waiting times through the use of overtime and the deployment of extra temporary staff who have been recruited but are currently in training.

The biggest increase in applications this year has been for children between the ages of three and 18, which are up 16 per cent on last year, Mr Gilmore told the Dáil.

Due to the surge in demand, the turnaround time for applications received through the Passport Express system is currently running between 11 and 13 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 woaihuaren

My application sent by Passport Express, and was received on 05/May... Its exactly 12 working days as of Today.

Hopefully can get it on next Monday (at 13th day)...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 firsttime_tat

called into passport office said i should have in tues wed at the latest but the status still says being checked so not holding my breath!!:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

Payment taken out of my account on 18th May......but I guess that doesn't mean much - I'm clinging onto any ray of light right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 baba ganoush

I'm currently living in Argentina and got my passport stolen, they issued an emergency passport which will expire soon but I want to go travelling in S America when I finish working here. The only option the Irish embassy gave me was to return to Ireland to get a new passport. Because of work ican only take two weeks to travel back to Ireland. If I go to the passport office would they be able to sort it out for me, I don't want to get stuck in Ireland. Any advice would be great. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

My passport was received by the passport office on the 5th May and last night when I checked the status it said "Application has been received and has been registered" - the first stage of the process.
    Tonight I checked the status and it said "Passport printed"
    I am flying out early on Wednesday morning, so I have only 2 days to get the the passport. What are my chances of geting the passport in time?
    I am at the other side of the country and was going to go to the passport office on Monday but at this stage it will be in the post.
    I am freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 wezg

I posted my app on the 4th of may, it was "recieved and registered" until yesterday, then it moved up to "is being checked" but now it's gone back to the previous one! whats going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What about settled travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

My passport was received by the passport office on the 5th May and last night when I checked the status it said "Application has been received and has been registered" - the first stage of the process.
    Tonight I checked the status and it said "Passport printed"
    I am flying out early on Wednesday morning, so I have only 2 days to get the the passport. What are my chances of geting the passport in time?
    I am at the other side of the country and was going to go to the passport office on Monday but at this stage it will be in the post.
    I am freaking out!

My OH's passport was registered with them on May 5th as well and it moved up to 'printed' yesterday. I would be happy enough with that and we are travelling on Thursday and I'd say it will be in the post tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.
    The issue is obviously getting someone on the phone if you want to arrange collection

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

Hey. I'm travelling on the ferry mid June but my passport is expired. I'm aware that I may not get a passport in time if I apply for one now. Do I need a passport to travel to Britain via the ferry?

• Advertisement

Hey. I'm travelling on the ferry mid June but my passport is expired. I'm aware that I may not get a passport in time if I apply for one now. Do I need a passport to travel to Britain via the ferry?

Not if you're either a British or an Irish citizen.

You may need to show some form of ID though, to satisfy the ferry company's requirements. See their website for acceptable forms of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

just wondering what the average time frame is for getting passport renewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How long is a piece of string?

Allow a month at least given the experiences of people on this thread.

just got this on the website today
    "Received on 05/05/2011 and has been registered.Issue Date:18/05/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 10 working days, which you should add to this date)"

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Hi,

Irish man who is eligible for British Passport. Anyone here have experience with applying for one before?!

Hiya, here's what I got this Morning:
    Received on 05/05/2011 and is being checked.
    Issue Date: 18/05/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 10 working days, which you should add to this date)

Here's my status today:

Status: Received on 12/05/2011 and has been registered.Issue Date:16/06/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 10 working days, which you should add to this date)Website Last Updated: 23/05/2011 at 7:45

Anyone know what exactly they mean by issue date - is it the date they intend to post? the date it's printed? or the date you should have it in your hands?

Now the site is just showing this message

Passport tracking service is currently undergoing essential maintenance and is not available at this time. Please check back later. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

and Rainy_18
    Anyone know what exactly they mean by issue date - is it the date they intend to post? the date it's printed? or the date you should have it in your hands?

the issue date is the day that they would have expected to have it approved so add 10 working days om to the issue date then allow for postage time

Thank you wezg.

Where are you finding that information?

Looks like I'll have to be cancelling my Honeymoon :(

sorry to hear that rainy_18

the list of stages is on this page:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83452

• Advertisement

Thanks wezg.

I can't see where it says issued date = approved but I guess it's the most likely meaning.

Ah well - I will still have a crack to see if I can get mine hurried along.

rodgered wrote: »
    Hi,

Irish man who is eligible for British Passport. Anyone here have experience with applying for one before?!

If you are resident and physically present in Ireland you have to apply to the British embassy in Dublin. It's more costly than an Irish passport (roughly twice the price, last time I checked) and if you're a first time adult applicant you may have to attend an interview.

Woo hoo!

Now my status has changed to 'add 3 working days'

Anyone else's changed from 10 to 3 today?

Mine has changed to
    Status: Passport is printed.Issue Date:18/05/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)Website Last Updated: 23/05/2011 at 13:45

Woo hoo that's brilliant wezg!

There is hope for a honeymoon yet - fingers crossed. It's great yours was printed on the issue day.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

Mine said registered and received April 6th. Issue Date:13/05/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)Website Last Updated: 23/05/2011 at 13:45

So we should have it last Tuesday! Dont' have it clearly, and it still says registered and received so its not even been approved yet

here's mine one:
    Status: Application received on 23/05/2011 and is being checked.
    Issue Date: 18/05/2011 (This is the target date, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)
    Website Last Updated: 23/05/2011 at 13:45

NB: In fact, my app was received on 05/05/2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 topsoff

Going on holidays to Spain next tues the 31st..

Sent off our forms over 7 weeks ago for our childs (8 months old) passport. No sign so I rang molesworth street. The guys said it was rejected due to proof of citizen ship. my wife included a photocopy of both our passports. Now this guy said we need to send a passport for proof of citizenship. If we send back the forms with the passport the new passport may be issued on the 30th, day before we go away… can this guy be trusted?? Seems to be cutting it fine. Can we get some emergency passport for child in case?? This is crazy. When were they going to notify me.

Oh dear!

Hopefully the ones which have past dates are near to completion. I have my fingers crossed for everyone. Keep us posted!

• Advertisement

as of 18:45 today mine now says posted and has the tracking no. on the site so I can watch the an post progress :D let you know when it arrives. finger crossed for the rest of ye!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement