Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a concert on your own

Options
  • 22-03-2005 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I regularly go to concerts, festivals etc....never had any problem getting people to go with me to any of them except for now. No one I know would even cross the road, let alone pay to see the Stereophonics in September. Just wondering if any of ye have gone to gigs on your own and if it's not as loserville as I imagine it would be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

Why do you need someone to watch a band with you? If you're a fan, you're a fan. You'll go whether you have someone to hold your hand or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Bazz wrote:
    Why do you need someone to watch a band with you? If you're a fan, you're a fan. You'll go whether you have someone to hold your hand or not.

That's true, but you know, it's nice to have someone there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yes you will be a total loser if you go to a gig on your own, in fact The Point have started making lone concert goers wear luminous yellow vests, so that no one will be in any doubt that they are there alone. In the past apparently people had fiddled around with their mobile and pretended they were waiting for their friends return from the bar/toilet and pulled it off, those days are gone now though. Hot Press have welcomed the news "Its high time the freaks of our society were shown up for what they are". In fact moves are afoot to broaden the scope of this new initiative, Harry Crosbie of the Point has been quoted as saying that he would be in favour of the vests being worn by groups of 2 people as often you can get 2 loner freaks going together ;)

I've often gone to a gig on my own, i don't see the big deal, once the gig starts you don't even notice.

comet wrote:
    Yes you will be a total loser if you go to a gig on your own, in fact The Point have started making lone concert goers wear luminous yellow vests, so that no one will be in any doubt that they are there alone. In the past apparently people had fiddled around with their mobile and pretended they were waiting for their friends return from the bar/toilet and pulled it off, those days are gone now though. Hot Press have welcomed the news "Its high time the freaks of our society were shown up for what they are". In fact moves are afoot to broaden the scope of this new initiative, Harry Crosbie of the Point has been quoted as saying that he would be in favour of the vests being worn by groups of 2 people as often you can get 2 loner freaks going together ;)

I've often gone to a gig on my own, i don't see the big deal, once the gig starts you don't even notice.

Well aren't you just fecking hilarious!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

its fine to go on your own.
    Of course, its great going with mates to enjoy the whole pre and post show, but during the show, it doesnt matter.
    I've gone to a good few concerts by myself as none of my mates like the artists I do.
    First time was daunting, but you actually realise there's *lots* of people who go by themselves.
    You can still have a great time... and you really appricate the music if your by yourself (no drunken mates to watch for...).
    Get a ticket and enjoy it... don't miss a concert just coz friends wouldnt go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

That's because you're a girl. No offence but chicks tend to go with bf or friend for security. Once the lights go down you won't care if you're alone or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PoloBroin

it's true, it's grand while the band or bands are actually playing but it's the in between part where you really feel like a loser I suppose but during the music it's not like you're talking anyway

actually the luminous vest thing would be a good idea, then fellow losers could hook up

and of course on the other end of things is going with a few people and losing them all in a huge crowd and spending the entire time looking for them because either it's the good old pre-mobile days or the mobile network has crashed cos of 80,000 people texting each other

or there's the text taking 3hours to get through eg I'm standing under the tree (but it arrives 2 days later) but veering off topic here

and I speak as a loser who has been to a few gigs on his own, never in the point though,some of them fantastic gigs and glad to have been there

Okay, thanks guys. I was going to go either way. Just didn't like the thought of going on my own but sure who cares I suppose, you're right. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i often go to the pictures on my own.....actually a few years back i was the only person at a screening, when a girl came in on her own and sat a few rows ahead of me....after a few minutes she then came over to me and asked if she could sit next to me coz she prefered to have company when watching movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

RuggieBear wrote:
    ...after a few minutes she then came over to me and asked if she could sit next to me coz she prefered to have company when watching movies...

you didnt marry and/or have sex with her didja ?? :P

back on topic, yeah been to loads to gigs on my own, i often just bump into ppl i know or just get talking to randomers, generally people are up for a chat in between songs ive found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guess it's not as bad as you would think. I know plenty of people who'd look at you weird, but any time I go to concert with girls, I end up standing near the back with them cos they don' want to dive in, and if I go with my mates and we all lose eachother as soon as the music starts anyway. So I don't see any problem with it. A festival would be different. You'd get just a *tad* bored :)

I've gone to the cinema a few times on my own, when there's something on my gf won't see (or she's not about) and everyone else has seen it. The Matrix Revolutions for example. I go to the cinema to watch a movie, not to spend time with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

i think what makes a good night at a gig is the people your with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

i think what makes a good night at a gig is the people your with
    Certainly people can make it better, but you seriously think it's the most important thing? You'd go to a band you disliked as long as you were going with mates...?

Of course go on your own. Do you want to see the band or not. Anyone concerned with being a loser because of something like this is already a loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Going to gigs on my own - sometimes I enjoy it because the wife feels the need to TALK to me during the gig. I mean FFS ! Twat's that all about ?

I went to Live Aid on my own but that was by accident. Mate and myself said we'd meet up in the bar on the ferry to Holyhead. How the phuck was I supposed to know there were 2 bars on the boat ? He was pissed and I coudn't be arsed getting out of the comfy seat across from the two girls that I had found.

anyway... what were we talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh don't let the fact that no one you know isn't going.

you go.

i'd do it for bands i like (like weezer but i got some friends who like them). you'll regret not going as you never know the band might split before the next time they get a chance to come here. i always look upon a gig like that, it might be your last chance so you gotta be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I dunno I'd be very slow to go on my own.. usually if I go to a gig or concert it's a big day out / night out with mates and I really don't know if I'd go on my own. I like to share the experience and don't really like being on my own at things like that.. the cinema I don't mind.. but everyone's different. A friend of mine took off around the world on her own last month and is having a ball.. something I would never have to guts to do and not sure I would enjoy it on my own!! though as said above.. once the gig starts I'm sure it wouldn't matter at all when u love the band!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

I dunno. Personally I think it's pretty sad to go on your own, like people who go the cinema on their own. It's just weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you can go to a gig in a pub on your own, you can go to a concert in a big venue.

What's the harm in doing that? If you're stuck, try talking to someone or just gate-crashing another group.

Unless they're **** they aren't going to mind you tagging along with them.
    Worst case you wander off on your own, but you could also end up meeting some new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I've often gone to gigs by myself. I like a lot of bands that my friends don't and i'll ask them if they want to go but if they don't I'm not going to let that stop me seeing them live. Damn, I've even gone abroad to gigs by myself!

You'll probably spot a fair few people by themselves there too. It's no biggy really but I suppose it feels a bit strange the first time but you get over that pretty sharpish.

On the cinema thing, I do that as well, I couldn't give a monkeys whether it's considered 'sad' or not. I'm living my life for me, not anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Often go to gigs on my own. Most of the time there's someone I know there but generally I have a book with me and will go through that while the lights are on and I'm waiting for it to start. So if you see a guy with a book at a gig, come over and say hi, it may be me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

like people who go the cinema on their own. It's just weird..

well, to be honest.

with the cinema, you can jsut go in as it starts and leave as it ends. there's very little hanging around. and when the film is on, you can't talk anyway. you can kiss but then you'd be missing the film. I don't think it's weird. i think it's better that way. sometimes, after the film (i'm srue this applies to gigs too) you want to talk to someone about what you just saw/ experienced.

oh to go off on another tangent, i got talking to some woman during/after a special screening of 9 songs. i ran away when she wsant looking.

oh yeah, keep on trying to get one of ur friends to go with you. don't bring a book like john2, that's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm going to Oxygen in july, I was ment to go with a freind of mine but now it looks as if he's not going bcuz he dose'nt think there are enough good bands playn(WTF?) so no it looks like i'll be going on my own cuz i cant seem to find anyone else who's going.

I'm only going on the sunday for the foo's and audioslave but would love to go for the weekend but that is deff out now. I've never gone to a concert alone before it'll be very strange especially before and in between acts & if you meet some one you kinda know would you not feel like a compleate looser seeing them with all of there mates and you there jimmy no mates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I went with a gang of people to Oxegen and Witness over the years and most of the time you split up anyway as no one can agree on who to go see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

John2 wrote:
    I went with a gang of people to Oxegen and Witness over the years and most of the time you split up anyway as no one can agree on who to go see

Yeah, when I was there last year I think we were all there together for maybe 2 or 3 bands. The rest of the time you'd look at your own bands and meet up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah I've been to plenty of gigs on my own. I don't know anyone who likes the same music as me so it's not a big deal really. It's kinda weird all right the first time, but if you want to see the band, something like that shouldn't stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

Well I've never been to a gig on my own but that’s because I'm lucky to have lots off people I know interested in the same music.

That said, as soon as we get to a gig we normally end up losing each other anyway. So if you don't mind travelling to and from the gig on your own you’re not missing much IMO. There's always a better chance of meeting up with new people on your own as well. I wouldn't have a problem going to a gig on my own if it was a band I really liked and I couldn't find anyone to go with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

It all comes down to your personality traits I suppose at the end of the day, some people care too much about what other people think and aren't even secure enough in themselves or their own company to go the cinema on their own! Whats the big deal? If you won't go to the cinema on your own, theres no way you'll go to a gig on your own. Its a shame i think, there's no way someone really interested in going to live music will always have have a friend interested enough to go along to all the gigs, so that inevitably leads to the decision to go alone or miss the possibly best giog of your life. I agree a festival is a different story, spending 2 or 3 days on your own could get a bit boring especially when an event like that is as much about what happens in the camp sites as much as what happens on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I personally wouldn't go to a gig on my own becasue I think it's more enjoyable with friends. That's just me though, I don't think it's sad to go on your own or anything. It's a bit like travelling on your own - it's not for everyone. :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've made the trip down to voodoo twice in the last couple of weeks on my lonesome to see bands play. It's fine when there's someone on stage but christ I could have drank the bar dry with nothing to do but drink.

Thank god I'm broke :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yeah you should go on your own if you want. Why should you miss one of your fave bands just because your dumb buddies wont go with you. Als oyou will find that you may get talking to people. You are at a gig to see a certain band, what possibly could you and the rest of the people have in common to talk about? :rolleyes: You know what I mean! :rolleyes:

At the end of the day I have found myself singing songs on the streets with total randomers after gigs but usually with alcohol involved. The only problem the Point is the biggest venue and that bit more daunting but f**k it go and enjoy your band.

Advertisement