Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Inspectors going house to house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This has scam written all over it, I bet there will be a few threads on here in the next month of phony TV Licence Inspectors going door to door offering to accept a once off payment instead of issuing a summons/fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

dahamsta wrote: »
    I'd love to hear the logic behind this gem.

I've never paid mine.I had the option to buy one if I wanted.

What are you getting at exactly :confused:

You let out the rest of the sentence where I said until I get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

BostonB wrote: »
    AFAIK they changed the act in 2009 so that television means pretty much any device. Computer, smart phone whatever.

That's strange, because we don't have TV but a few laptops and PCs and the TV inspector calls in every year and he checks that we indeed have no TV and then I'm left in peace for another year. I also receive a letter yearly, just before the inspector's visit, to remind me that I don't have a licence and I need one if I have a TV, even if I don't have a TV connection and just use it to watch videos. I usually answer by email that we have no TV, haven't had one for the last 6 years. They usually send the inspector a few days letter. I'm fine with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I never had a TV License while in Ireland.

The enforcement was so poor then really your doing it to be a 'good citizen'.

Never had an inspector call to the door either, the system for registration seems to be based on either some guy noting down your address or someone registering for payment at your address in the first place. No connection to the land registry database (silly)

Never watched TV Either.

Moved to the Netherlands and they don't have a TV License here either. The national channels are available via a subscription card so its optional if you want to watch them or not.

With the Advent of Saorview it would have made sense to have a recurring subscription via a smart card so that people who wanted it could pay for it.

Or you could just pay for it via your UPC / Sky subscription.

I suspect though that RTEs revenue stream would drop into the toilet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It takes 7,800 of you to pay your TV license to pay the wages of Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy.

and they wonder why people don't want to pay it

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

and they wonder why people don't want to pay it

People don't pay because they can get away with it.

With people struggling to pay their ESB/Gas/Water Charge/ Universal Social Charge the bills of least resistance get paid last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The rate of non compliance with TV licence has remained consistent at 12% for at least 10 years which implies the current economics have very little to do with it.

Apparently the conviction rates are shockingly low aswell.

Wiki article
    In 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%. In the Dublin region in that year, approximately 21% of detected evaders were summonsed for prosecution (6,000 cases); approximately one third of these cases resulted in fines, averaging €174.Only 4% of fined evaders followed up three months later had purchased a licence.
    In 2010, the Secretary General of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources told the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee that the evasion rate was estimated at 12%, and the renewed contract with An Post would include provision for a 1 percentage point annual decrease in this

The rate of non compliance with TV licence has remained consistent at 12% for at least 10 years which implies the current economics have very little to do with it.

Apparently the conviction rates are shockingly low aswell.

Wiki article
    In 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%. In the Dublin region in that year, approximately 21% of detected evaders were summonsed for prosecution (6,000 cases); approximately one third of these cases resulted in fines, averaging €174.Only 4% of fined evaders followed up three months later had purchased a licence.
    In 2010, the Secretary General of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources told the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee that the evasion rate was estimated at 12%, and the renewed contract with An Post would include provision for a 1 percentage point annual decrease in this

I would seriously doubt the accuracy of their figures since they don't even have a list of all properties in the first place. If they did, then there would be no issue with issuing a bill for Property Tax (for example), rather than self registration having to take place.

As I said .. people don't pay it since they can get away with it.

Worst case scenario if you're caught you just get a TV License.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

We had a deal in our apt, who ever answered the door paid the piper. We avoided a licence for 10 years.

We had fellows in tucks buzzing our door with bunches of flowers ! All straight lads at our gaff so they are quite inventive.

A fellow from the uk moved in and bought a tv and a few days later a tv licence threat arrived in his name! The irish Dublin elec / white goods supply shop sold his name to the guberment. Unreal. No other explanation for that one.

If you live in an apt it's easy to evade.

Pay up people, pat Kenny needs excessive pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

uberalles wrote: »

A fellow from the uk moved in and bought a tv and a few days later a tv licence threat arrived in his name! The irish Dublin elec / white goods supply shop sold his name to the guberment. Unreal. No other explanation for that one.

If you buy a tv or video or any other item requiring a tv licence the shop is obliged by law to forward your address and name to the licensing department. Sky chorus UPC ect all have the same obligation.

• Advertisement

The funniest one ever was a repro man called to take back the tv / video back as the rent hadn't been paid on it for months in the 80s. Knocks at doors and window get louder and louder and everyone stays quiet.

The fellow get impatient and opens the letter box and shouts in, I know you are in there !

One of the lads shouts back. "I'm sorry, I don't believe it's you mother". We fell around the place laughing.

They can't kick your door in. Apartments are wonderful.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you buy a tv or video or any other item requiring a tv licence the shop is obliged by law to forward your address and name to the licensing department. Sky chorus UPC ect all have the same obligation.

Good reason to buy your TV up norn iron so

People don't pay because they can get away with it.

With people struggling to pay their ESB/Gas/Water Charge/ Universal Social Charge the bills of least resistance get paid last.

People didn't pay it during the golden years. It's not just the struggling with bills, it's actually because there is no enforcement. Very little people get caught, all it takes is keep the door closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

"Me no speak no English Yo no Garda You con artist" (fake Polish accent) *Door slams shut.

Why would you give the shop your name and address when buying a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Under the pretense that it's needed for a warranty

But it isn't. All you need is proof of purchase?

And I would find it hard to believe that the shop would be allowed to do this when you consider An Post are not allowed even use the name and address on the letters they deliver to your house for TV licence purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Technically yes.

I have a friend living in an ancient cottage with barley 3 plugs for electricity and no TV but a laptop. She got the visit from the inspector, he said something like 'I have to presume you receive TV on one of your devices'. She told him she'd fight it in court. No fine was issued.

Why didnt she just tell him she didnt have a television if she didnt have a television???!?!

Im a bit on the fence when it comes to the TV license. On the one hand I feckin hate having to pay 160 quid in one go(yes I know about the post office stamps), I hate the ida of inspectors going around and checking up on you like some sort of former soviet state. I hate how much money it costs to have people go around checking if you have a TV and no license. A euro or two onto my income tax would be a far more efficient way of collecting said tax.

On the other hand, and I dont know why the question comes up so much, they make it easy. If you have a tv you must have a license. Simple as. Accept it.

Best read in a D4 accent: "If I dont buy a digital receiver, then technically I cant receive the digital signal. Do I still need a license?"

If you have a TV you must have a license.

"I dont watch RTE. Do I still need a license"

"I only use it for the xbox. Do I still need a license"

"I dont watch tv. Nothing but sh1te anyway. I keep hte tv because it belonged to my father and has sentimental value. Do I still need a tv license"

In fact if you ask a ny question starting with "Yes, but, if I have...", then the answer is probably "Yes if you have a TV you must have a license."

If someone on the internet tells you, that if you keep your curtains closed and never answer the door to strangers, and you live at home with your elderly mother that you dont need a license, then they are wrong.

I hate that we have tv licenses like I hate how we have dog licenses. It costs more money paying for the dog license inspector than is collected by the inspector. Add half a percent VAT onto dog biscuits and you will get the same amount of money and it will be collected more efficiently.

Likewise, RTE provide a public service. Pay for it using public expenditure e.g. money gained from income tax and VAT or disband it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have a television which is only used for the Xbox and the ps3, it is not connected to any aerial/antenna/sky/UPC etc. and never has been, do I have to pay for a TV license for it?

You have to pay a TV license for every television set that you own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

The national channels are available via a subscription card so its optional if you want to watch them or not.
    Not quite, the Netherlands has their own version of Saorview and the national channels are available without subscription or a card.
    You do need a card for Satellite though.

Netherlands public TV is funded by a government grant to the broadcasters each year.

I thought the licence was used to pay for public channels, so if you don't have an aerial, no connection, no way to receive any signal, why would you pay a licence for? Anyway, that's what I told the lady at the TV licence department a few years ago, and yes, you've guessed it, the answer was 'if you have a TV you must pay your TV licence'. So the TV went to my granny who was delighted and she doesn't have to pay for a licence. Everyone was very happy, bar the TV inspector who has to come to my place in the dark and the rain and looks like he hates his job :D

They must not supply you with a tv or other tuner which needs a licence unless they get your name and address to forward to the licencing section.
    gman2k wrote: »
    Under the pretense that it's needed for a warranty
    They are legally obliged to pass on the information. nothing to do with the warrenty when it is a tv vcr or any other product with a tuner.
    VINCWM wrote: »
    NO you don't! you pay one fee for each address so if you bring a portable tv to your holiday home for 2 weeks in july you will need a seperate licence for that address!

It is the address that is licenced, not the equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

charlemont wrote: »
    "Me no speak no English Yo no Garda You con artist" (fake Polish accent) *Door slams shut.

They have heard all the excuse's :D

That could be a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

VINCWM wrote: »
    Not correct. You can have a number of televisions in your home, all covered by the one licence. You do need a separate licence if you have a television in a separate premises such as a holiday home.
    [Beaten to the draw by foggy_lad.]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

foggy_lad wrote: »

I've never once given a name and address for a tv or white good appliance etc. I collect all my items like that. They don't need a name and address for warranty, just proof of purchase so a receipt will do just fine. I've rented houses and apartments, currently in an apartment and it's so easy to avoid them.

They put a slip of paper in letterbox addressed to householder or resident. Ignore them. They try to be sneaky and get names from the bin labels. In the house I had the brothers dog for a while and it scared him off when he tried to open the side gate to go in. Would have served him right to get bitten then. A note must have been made because they didn't try that again at that house even when the bro came home from hols and took his dog back.

Apartments are so much easier. There's a main access door to the hallway and then apartment doors. If they buzz, you can pick up the phone or stick a head out window, see who it is and just say no/feck off/ hang up/ close window.

If they get into the hallway and knock on your door you don't legally have to show them anything or talk to them. They can try take you to court but they will need your name. I've had 2 people knock on my hallway door in the apartment in two years. The rest knock have to buzz first. I ask for ID and I sent one away who didn't have it. If it had been a TV Inspector he'd have been sent away too.

Shared bins means no names on labels. TV inspectors have been around twice with no luck at any apartment afaik.

Melendez wrote: »

Jaysus, in half a page there are 3 tv license myths spouted. Wrong. I know this one was in jest but people will believe this stuff. This is how myths start.
    I thought the licence was used to pay for public channels, so if you don't have an aerial, no connection, no way to receive any signal, why would you pay a licence for?

Its called a TV license. The license is for having the TV not for receiving the signal.

Wrong. Its one license per household.
    They must not supply you with a tv or other tuner which needs a licence unless they get your name and address to forward to the licencing section.

Also wrong. Currys couldnt care less about your address once they have sold you your 42 inch HD tv. The only time I was ever asked for my address was to get the thing delivered. However, I suspect they do check postal records or talk to sky/upc as I had a TV for 2 years and didnt see anything, and 1 week after I got UPC in there was a fella at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

syklops wrote: »
    Jaysus, in half a page there are 3 tv license myths spouted. Wrong. I know this one was in jest but people will believe this stuff. This is how myths start.
    If your elderly mother is in receipt of a free tv licence it covers all people and equipment in that address! once she is in receipt of the free gas or electricity allowance she is automatically issued a licence.
    Its called a TV license. The license is for having the TV not for receiving the signal.
    The licence is for equipment which can recieve the signal via a tuner.
    Wrong. Its one license per household.

Also wrong. Currys couldnt care less about your address once they have sold you your 42 inch HD tv. The only time I was ever asked for my address was to get the thing delivered. However, I suspect they do check postal records or talk to sky/upc as I had a TV for 2 years and didnt see anything, and 1 week after I got UPC in there was a fella at the door.
    WRONG!

It is one licence per household!

And upc, sky etc are obliged by law to notify the licencing authority, as are any retailers selling the equipment.

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »

If you are living at home with your elderly mother and as well as being elderly she is also over 70, she can get the license for free, because as we know all old people are also poor what with the no rent, and the absence of a daily commute etc.

Advertisement