Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Inspectors going house to house

Options
  • 01-10-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

SKMBT_C22012100117420.jpg

Got this flyer in the post today ... Is it for real ?

Surely they don't have to go around checking the actual piece of paper

Received leaflet in the letterbox ? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No Thank you and close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you have equipment capable of receiving TV signals, then you need a licence. In general, inspectors will know if there is a licence held for a particular address, but sometimes it is not easy to match records with what exists on the ground - for example, in rural areas where houses do not have numbers. So if an inspector calls, it is useful to be able to produce your licence.
    No Thank you and close the door.
    Why make life difficult for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They only go to houses with no license... these days that's very few houses. Years ago they went to nearly everyone except pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They only go to houses with no license... these days that's very few houses. Years ago they went to nearly everyone except pensioners.

in the real world im afraid the opposite is true...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

Had one call to my door last week. Didn't answer door. They seem to target apartments more theses days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

releasethehounds.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Why make life difficult for people?
    and knocking at a strangers house and extorting a sizable sum of money isn't making life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Gotta ask, with the introduction of Saorview and the fact that you'll need an antenna and such to view channels in this country (as opposed to every TV currently being able to pick up channels), can't you just point at your roof and say "no equipment, can't pick up channels"?

Edit: That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever posted, due to my sleep deprivation, but still interested to see what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Less than a year after we moved into our council house the tv licence inspector called. They know exactly where houses are occupied and no amount of not answering your door will deter them from getting you to pay your licence fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could have an antenna in the attic, or indeed in the spare room upstairs. A signal can be captured at lower than "roof height"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

mike65 wrote: »
    You could have an antenna in the attic, or indeed in the spare room upstairs. A signal can be captured at lower than "roof height"!

True that. Bah! €160 quid for television signals I won't even be able to pick up in a few weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

just pay the bloody licence fee................

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

delta36 wrote: »
    Gotta ask, with the introduction of Saorview and the fact that you'll need an antenna and such to view channels in this country (as opposed to every TV currently being able to pick up channels), can't you just point at your roof and say "no equipment, can't pick up channels"?

Edit: That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever posted, due to my sleep deprivation, but still interested to see what people think.

The licence is for a device capable of receiving a TV signal. Since I, and a lot of other people, have used a coat hanger before to receive TV signals then everyone needs a licence. Only way out is to buy a monitor and only watch downloads/streaming, but that's going to change soon
    delta36 wrote: »
    True that. Bah! €160 quid for television signals I won't even be able to pick up in a few weeks :(

Why are you leaving the country? The licence isn't for the signal it's for having a receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have a television which is only used for the Xbox and the ps3, it is not connected to any aerial/antenna/sky/UPC etc. and never has been, do I have to pay for a TV license for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have a television which is only used for the Xbox and the ps3, it is not connected to any aerial/antenna/sky/UPC etc. and never has been, do I have to pay for a TV license for it?

Yes. Doesn't have to be connected, it just has to have the capabilty of being used to watch TV.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yes. Doesn't have to be connected, it just has to have the capabilty of being used to watch TV.

I'm sorry but that is the height of retardation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Technically yes.

I have a friend living in an ancient cottage with barley 3 plugs for electricity and no TV but a laptop. She got the visit from the inspector, he said something like 'I have to presume you receive TV on one of your devices'. She told him she'd fight it in court. No fine was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I dont make the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Quandary

I live in a 2nd floor apartment and havent paid the TV licence for the last 5 years. We have gotten plenty reminders but have ignored them all, and so far, no consequences.

If anyone knocks on the door we don't answer. There have been numerous knocks at the door, and im positive the inspector has been knocking on multiple occasions but we just dont answer the door.

So far we've managed to escape for the last 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

pmcmahon wrote: »
    and knocking at a strangers house and extorting a sizable sum of money isn't making life difficult.

Not one to defend the licence inspectors but its clearly not extortion

• Advertisement

This is a valid exemption in the UK but not here. Once the device is capable of receiving television broadcasts it's liable to be licensed.

With regard to analogue only sets requiring a licence after ASO, I'd say they will as UPC are yet to announce switchoff of their analogue service. Maybe when analogue cable goes off they might not require a licence, but we'll probably have the new broadcasting tax in place by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

AFAIK they changed the act in 2009 so that television means pretty much any device. Computer, smart phone whatever.

I dont make the rules.

I know, wasn't aimed at you at all, thanks for the info,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Had TV licence inspector on our road 2 months ago. I was out in the garden talking to neighbour. He passed all the houses with licences so i do believe they know. He also posted a notice in the letter box where he did not get an answer but could see the aerial on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They know before they knock if you have a licence or not, they government increase taxs,cut welfare and health.

The TV license is optional to a point, I'll continue not paying it until I'm caught.

I bought my telly I pay sky every month to watch TV,its 2012 not the 1960s when people thought tvs were something from space that needed a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

dave1982 wrote: »
    I bought my telly I pay sky every month to watch TV,its 2012 not the 1960s when people thought tvs were something from space that needed a license.

What ???? My dog isn't from space :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Firegaurd wrote: »
    What ???? My dog isn't from space :eek:

Is your TV going to go out and attack something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They know before they knock if you have a licence or not, they government increase taxs,cut welfare and health.

The TV license is optional to a point, I'll continue not paying it until I'm caught.

As soon as you sign up to sky they have to pass your details on to the TV licensing people, same with UPC. And no, data protection can't stop them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The TV license is optional to a point

I'd love to hear the logic behind this gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well some one has to keep the cartel/Family going at ZTE!!

Advertisement