Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

El D/Griffin where did you purchase the bike? I have found a few Giant stockists but they do not have the bike in stock. Griiffin did you complete the IMUK bike leg on the tt or your normal road bike? I assume with the climbing the road bike may be better?
    Thanks

I got mine in Wheelworx. IIRC €1,700.

I did IMUK on it and it was tough but that wasn't down to the bike, that was down to me and a lack of bike time leading into the race. I had the 42/53 changed when I bought it to a 39/53 which helps. I also had an 11-25 on the back, going to a 27 might help on a hilly course. That said I've bene up Mt Leinster a few times on it without too much bother. It is relatively heavy though.

AFAIK Revolve in Gorey has one in stock and I think Wheelworx do. The one that was on CRC for £999 was a size small only. I'm 5'9'' and have a medium which fits.

The Planet X option is one that's well worth considering, you get a carbon bike for aluminimum money. I think MCOS has a PX TT bike.

Wheelworx have a good selection of TT bikes. Worth a look to give you an idea of whats available in your price range - you dont have to buy anything and its free to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

catweazle wrote: »
    check out that Felt B2, beautiful bike, did you mention you were a wee lad, a 50 might be the right size for you ;)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sale/ex-demo-bikes/

Felt B2!!! are they not mad money, nothing showing up on the link. Yes a wee lad currently on a 52" road bike although would not want to go smaller as it is jsut about the right size for me when i take the stabilizers off:rolleyes:

Planet X have a stealth pro carbon sram rival for €1,235 online but seem to be out of stock until March by the looks of it. (I will check with that shop in Athlone tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Felt B2!!! are they not mad money, nothing showing up on the link. Yes a wee lad currently on a 52" road bike although would not want to go smaller as it is jsut about the right size for me when i take the stabilizers off:rolleyes:

Planet X have a stealth pro carbon sram rival for €1,235 online but seem to be out of stock until March by the looks of it. (I will check with that shop in Athlone tomorrow)

Mmm not sure what I did with the link, check out ex demo bikes in wiggle and then you will see them, they are nearly all in small, those focus bikes are there for less than 999 as well. I am no expert but TT bikes you tend to get them smaller than what you would use for a normal bike for the aero dynamics so the 50" may well suit you.

With all the talk of bikes in here today it's about time i got back to posting some actual training updates.:)
    Tuesday
    Lunchtime Run
    Plan: 10km with strides Actual: 5km easy
    Ended up changing my plans as ballsed up packing my bag and left the garmin, hrm and my running jacket at home so decided on a short easy one around the 4.9km work route. Just as well as it was pissing down and i was out in just a t-shirt and shorts freezing me XXXXX off.
    Distance: 4.9km
    Time: 25 mins
    Pace: 5.00 min kms

PM - Brick Session - 45 min high Z2 bike/30 min Z2 run
    Really wanted to up the effort on the bike part of the session and i did exactly that. Kept it in the big gear for the 45 mins whilst trying to maintain a decent cadence.
    Distance: 30.34km
    Time: 45 mins
    Power: 256avg/567max
    Cadence: 97/127 max
    Avg speed: 40.4kmph
    Power to weight ratio: 3.76watt/kg
    AVG hr: 149
    Wk12brick-1.jpg

Legs felt wobbly starting on the run but soon start maintaining a running cadence of 86/88 throughout.
    Distance: 5.6km
    Time: 27:17
    Pace: 4.52km/7.50mile
    Avg HR: 154

Got the green light on tt bike purchase from the boss so time to make my mind up. I can get that giant back from that german site for 1440 inc shipping which saves me about 200 against local stores. I will wait and see if that Athlone have any of the Planet x tt bikes in stock before i make my mind up.

Wednesday AM

Early morning swim
    My last attempt at the 10x400 finsihed at number 7 so i decided to have a crack at the 10 again this morning. I was up at 5 doing one of the night feeds so just decided to stay up and get some brekkie into me and was in the pool for 6.30.
    Instead of doing a warm up i just took the first 200 easy from the first set. I did manage to get the 10 sets in with the times varying from 7.25 to 7.50 on the stopwatch with a 60 sec rest in between.
    The first 3 sets went ok but 4,5,6 started to get sloppy with the stroke and was hitting 7.45+ in them. Kncukled down on 7 and 8 and they came in 10 seconds quicker and 9 and 10 was just a struggle but i just focussed on keeping the stroke long.
    I took on Shotguns suggestion of counting strokes on the 2nd and last of each set and i was coming in mostly around 24 and 26 in a 25 mtr pool. Legs went wobbly getting out of the pool and had to sit down for a few minutes and finish off my sports drink. The longest single swim session to date!!
    Bloody delighted i got through that.
    Distance: 4000 mtrs
    Time 1:28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Wednesday AM
    Legs went wobbly getting out of the pool and had to sit down for a few minutes and finish off my sports drink. The longest single swim session to date!!
    Bloody delighted i got through that.
    Distance: 4000 mtrs
    Time 1:28

congrats on the swim chief - a nice mental hurdle out of the way. Best of luck with the swimming and all the rest of your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on that session JB, thats bloody great work! Nice to hit the 4k set benchmark. Also 40kmh on the turbo for 45mins is nuts.. you are in great shape, I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the Tri Limits events :cool:

interested wrote: »
    congrats on the swim chief - a nice mental hurdle out of the way. Best of luck with the swimming and all the rest of your training.

Thanks Interested, i believe your the man to speak to on all things swimming related. Do you have any session tips/suggestions for improving techniue and speed (i know the two somewhat go hand in hand) Now that the endurance is there i really want to improve on my IM swim target time.
    Well done on that session JB, thats bloody great work! Nice to hit the 4k set benchmark. Also 40kmh on the turbo for 45mins is nuts.. you are in great shape, I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the Tri Limits events :cool:

Thanks Shotgun, I shall be the guy illegally drafting behind you:pac:

Thanks Interested, i believe your the man to speak to on all things swimming related. Do you have any session tips/suggestions for improving techniue and speed (i know the two somewhat go hand in hand) Now that the endurance is there i really want to improve on my IM swim target time.

Thats the thing about these parts, everyones advice is as good as the next guys - but my own opinions on things are as follows ...apologies, they're long winded.

a) technique - next to impossible for me to comment on this without seeing where you're coming from and how things stand now. One generic rule of thumb is that you're on top of the water swimming - that your hips arent dropping. Sure, you're wetsuit will give you a lift in the water when swimming in open water - but a steady regular flutter kick that isnt going to tax the big muscles too much but keeps your hips high will ensure you're not dragging your lower body through the water too much or ... more than necessary if you catch my drift. If you're body is in the right position, then if enables you to stretch more on the recovery of each arm pull so that you're physically gripping more water in every pull (this and body rotation and kicking will reduce your stroke count / increase the distance-per-stroke) and should see you swim quicker for similar / less exerted energy. That'd be the theory at least ;)
    If its possible for to have a coach look over your stroke on a regular (once every 2 weeks or more and not always when you're swimming fresh) look at your stroke then it might help you alter one or two small things that will help you.

b) Speed over 3.8k as part of an IM ... hmm
    unless you're doing a relay Ive always heard that the speed you swim and bike at should ensure you can maintain a steady pace in the last 10 miles of the run - even though its literally the other side of the day of the swim. For anyone from a swimming background or those whose swimming is their best discipline this is more difficult than it sounds given the fact its common to have spent an age preparing to participate in an long distance race. When the gun goes, and the water goes white and you're looking for clear water, its only natural for the arms to fly about and technique to go temporarily a little out of sorts in search of speed.

for me ... with my own background my approach to swimming 1.9k or 3.8k as part of a triathlon (after alot of mistakes) is now to try to swim no faster than my ability to maintain good swimming form. If I maintain good form then Im swimming comfortably and in a controlled manner - counting out my strokes, trying to be as efficient as possible. If I feel things going a bit out of sorts or 'off' Ill slow down slightly since even if I back off on the swim and maybe finish even 2 or 3 minute slower time than a p.b or something ... the energy Ill have saved will ensure I can maintain a good pace towards the end of the race.

Although the 10*400 set is a nice one to do every now and again - it wouldnt be something Id personally do alot. Theres absolutely no harm in having it under the belt in terms of a training goal - to have swam a 4k set every now and again.

The objective of a distance sort of set is to train your body to become comfortable swimming (whilst maintaining good form) that distance at a desired speed.

For example to swim just under the hour for 3.8km I know I need to swim 100 metres 38 times in just under 93 seconds. This doesnt mean I need to swim 38*100's every week - but I know if I can comfortably do a set of 10*100's on 1.30 then I know what it feels like to swim at that speed - and can determine if its just a case of swim fitness that is limiting me to those times. Similarly - say I have a goal of swimming 52 minutes for the 3.8k swim as part of a long distance event ... then I need to be 'comfortably' doing 100's on 1.25 (holding around a 1.22 pace)) if this slips to 1.30 for the last 800 metres of the 3.8k ... Ill end up swimming 64 seconds slower than Id hoped ... if I have to walk in the last 10 miles of the run Ill loose alot more than 64 seconds.

Im in no way criticizing your or anyone elses sets of 400's here btw, but if you're looking to improve ... you might consider alternative sets like

5 * 400 off a particular time that gives you just 15 seconds rest
    and/or
    5 * 200 ... same as above 15 or less rest between each
    and/or
    10 * 100 ... same as above but again, less rest - probably just 5 seconds

still a 4k set - but you're more focused and if you have a ball park idea of what you're swim time you'd like to have - divide it by 38 - and then the next time you're in the pool - do a warm up - and then do a comfortable 100 f/s - take the time and compare it to what you have to do 38 times .... before you bike and run.

if there's anything confusing or Ive glossed over something feel free pass it along or via pm. As above, this is all just my opinion. Im not a coach - and nor do I really want to be but Im more than happy to help - but again, bear in mind - you should be thinking about a swim time you should do to facilitate the bike and run on the big day and not the swim time you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

When are you going to decide on IMUK? your life sounds as hectic as mine in fariness:)

Thats a great question. Some days it is 70/30, others the reverse or less.
    With 29 weeks left and I know that I have sufficient time left to get myself sorted and give it a good go.
    Getting the time to fit in the sessions is my biggest problem. I see futher trips abroad in the coming 5 - 6 months to futher add to the challenge.
    I need also to come across a couple of grand for outley (bike, gym etc). We had a couple of unexpected expenditors lately which wasn't planned for

Anyway one of these days soon I'll just have to sit down and have a good chat with myself. Right now my head says no but my heart doesn't want to let it go.

Some excellent sessions lately. Don't peak too soon. I know I won't :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time Interested, solid advice and will start doing a few of them sessions.

Off down to view a Felt S22 tri bike later which i should be able to pick up for €1,200 new reduced from €1,500. It seems to rate well on the review sites. Planet X bike not an option as they will not have stock until late March if they are lucky and i think the Giant bike is slightly out of my price range.

Toss up between these two now, i think the Felt looks better and will probably seal the deal if i can get it for the right price.

felts22.jpg
    focus.jpg

That Felt sure is pretty:) Gets a good review here as well http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/time-trial-triathlon/product/s22-10-37606

I think Revolve have had a Giant Trinity in stock for a good while so if you are interested in this model you may be able to bargain them down. There is a serious mark up on bikes from what I can see so there may be some room for haggling. If you want to have a look at a Giant up close / try one out I can show you mine (depending on location of course;)).

Yes the Felt TTs are good looking bikes, Nigel Cycles in Galway has them for €1200 as well so maybe play them off each other

http://www.nigelscycles.com/index.php?module=store&parent=bikes&category=road_bikes&show=post&post=felt_s22_2010_model

interested wrote: »
    b) Speed over 3.8k as part of an IM ... hmm
    unless you're doing a relay Ive always heard that the speed you swim and bike at should ensure you can maintain a steady pace in the last 10 miles of the run - even though its literally the other side of the day of the swim.

Thats something I had never factored into my blow out in Swinford, I put it all down to going too fast on the bike. I assumed as I don't have much of a kick that I could go hell for leather in the swim as it will be only my arms that will be getting used. So taking it easy and feeding on the bike will not necessarily sort your stamina out if you go too fast on the swim

Wesnesday
    Lunchtime PMP run
    Had planned to do 9km at PMP but took the last 3km handy as i had a sharp pain up my left shin. Thankfully it feels ok now must have just landed my foot in an awkward spot.
    Distance: 8.86km
    Time: 43:45
    Pace: 4.56km (6km at avg 4.44km pace)
    Avg HR: 156

PM Bike - 60 min Z1 spinning
    Just turned the legs over for the hour and took it easy, maintained a high cadence but low output.
    Distance: 34.14km
    Time: 60 mins
    Power: 158/288
    Cadence: 106/128
    Avg HR: 120
    Wk12 wed 60 mins.jpg

Solid 3 session day today. Just a gym session and long bike planned for tomorrow.

griffin100 wrote: »
    That Felt sure is pretty:) Gets a good review here as well http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/time-trial-triathlon/product/s22-10-37606

I think Revolve have had a Giant Trinity in stock for a good while so if you are interested in this model you may be able to bargain them down. There is a serious mark up on bikes from what I can see so there may be some room for haggling. If you want to have a look at a Giant up close / try one out I can show you mine (depending on location of course;)).

I was in touch with them and they only took €50 off leaving it at €1,600 which is too much for my budget.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Yes the Felt TTs are good looking bikes, Nigel Cycles in Galway has them for €1200 as well so maybe play them off each other

http://www.nigelscycles.com/index.php?module=store&parent=bikes&category=road_bikes&show=post&post=felt_s22_2010_model

Cheers CW actually ended up getting the bike locally for €1,200 and a set of look keo pedals thrown in. I hope to have it in a few days:D

Fifty euros is hardly a discount. I thought you would have got more off as as far as I know that bike has been in stock for some time.

Congrats and good luck on the new steed. Time to get off the turbo and get your ass up some hills.

Fifty euros is hardly a discount. I thought you would have got more off as as far as I know that bike has been in stock for some time.

Congrats and good luck on the new steed. Time to get off the turbo and get your ass up some hills.

Yeah i had to hold in the laughter, €50 off a €1,650 bike!! On the bolded bit i fully agree however luckily my turbo simulates the climbing, as you are climbing as it has a high power motor brake which automatically adjusts the resistance to match the gradient. I have to say the effort is pretty much identical as i tested a local hill beside me (time/pace/effort) and routed it to GPS on the turbo. The turbo was similiar in effort in fact less than 5% off. Climbing Ventoux in the comfort of your home can be appealing on the dodgy weather days although you cannot beat being out in the elements.

Thursday
    Lunchtime Gym - Session missed
    Very busy in work and did not get to this but should get around to it today.

PM - Long Bike 3hr 40 mins
    It was a late start getting onto the turbo as we had someone in assembling new furniture in the house and they did not leave until after 9 or so. By the time i got the kids to bed it was shortly after 9.30 by the time i sat my ass on the turbo which meant a 1.10am finish:(
    For nutrition/hydration i had two bananas, energy bar, pear, 1x500ml sports drink, 2x500ml water and one mixed with an energy gel. I am thinking of mixing some of my energy gels with water on race day to help them go down easier, does anyone know if this will give you the same hit?
    I trundled along and the first 2 hours went in slowly with the last 1hr 40 mins whizzing by, i also threw in about 10 mins of 270/280watt towards the end to test the legs a little.
    Fairly tired getting off the bike so had a quick shower and straight to bed in my new Super King Size with memory foam mattress:P for the guts of a 4 hour sleep:(
    Distance: 123.82km
    Time: 3hr 40mins
    Speed: 33.7kmph
    Power: 194/307
    Cadence: 96/108
    Avg HR: 134
    Wk12LongBike.jpg

Friday
    AM - Swim Session
    In the pool for 6.30am and strangely felt alert for this session, i think my recovery on the bke is very fast these days. Took interesteds advice on board and changed the session about a bit
    WU - 200
    10x100 coming in on 1.49/1.55 and off in 2.00, the last few came in close to 1.55 which meant very little breathers in between.
    5x200 coming in on 3.44/3.57 and off in 4.10. These felt ok
    2x400 in on 7.40ish with 30 secs rest between sets
    200 cd
    I think i can push myself harder on the 100's/200's and would love to get them under 1.40 & 3.30 in the next few weeks.
    Distance: 3200mtrs
    Time: 1.11

Going to look at changing the long bike to a Wednesday from next week as the bike with the AM swim is tough going.

Savage training, you are a machine - well done.

I have one of those memory foam mattresses as well, they cost us a fortune but worth every penny, super conmfortable

As regards your gels, I use these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/science-in-sport-box-of-30-60ml-go-gel-sachets/

They go down much easier than your normal gels

• Advertisement

+1 on those SIS gels ... btw
    you may feel a bit of a pinch for a while with less rest on the intervals but stick with it

Anyone tried these gels? Got some yesterday but haven;t tried one yet. Looking for some thing that I dont have to take water with.
    WU - 200
    10x100 coming in on 1.49/1.55 and off in 2.00, the last few came in close to 1.55 which meant very little breathers in between.
    5x200 coming in on 3.44/3.57 and off in 4.10. These felt ok
    2x400 in on 7.40ish with 30 secs rest between sets
    200 cd

Thats a nice session and your speeds are getting up as well. Makes me want to start swimming more again:rolleyes:

Anyone tried these gels? Got some yesterday but haven;t tried one yet. Looking for some thing that I dont have to take water with.

I had them last year Griffin, with my history of blow-ups thread carefully with them :D They were fine though, you wouldn't be loving them but they are easier to swallow than the thicker heavier ones. I am just trying the SIS gels this year as I used them on one of the 20 mile lsrs for the marathon and it was probably the best shape I had finished one of them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Mrs Notwitch has recommended the Hig 5 iso gels to me over the SIS which we used both use. Goes down much easier supposedly.

Edit: I've not compared level of carbs etc.

I will try the SIS gels as i currently use the powerbar ones. I did try the High 5 gels before and got nothing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

I am thinking of mixing some of my energy gels with water on race day to help them go down easier, does anyone know if this will give you the same hit?
    Hi JB,

Abhainn sent me over here to try to scare me!:)

Like yourself I have used Powerbar gels - the ones with caffeine. Based on the suggestion printed on a little leaflet that came with my Powerbar hydration belt, for my last two marathons I've taken 4 gels each poured into the little 125ml bottles that go on the belt and filled up with water. They've worked fine and I think they go down a bit easier.

A lot of this is personal preference - my own perspective is that my legs seem to like the gels, either High-5 or Powerbar, especially in the latter stages of a long run, but the stomach isn't quite such a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I agree with Aero2k on it being personal preference. I took a Powerbar gel on mile 23 of DCM 09, and vomited my way up Nassau Street! I had difficulty keeping the SiS gels down during Gaelforce, but I find the High5 Isotonic caffeine gels great. Used them for DCM 2010 with no problem (except for the onset of diabetes perhaps :)), would definitely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey JB, well done on that long turbo , early swim combo. I did it last week and cramped up badly on the early swim. Although to hold 33kmh I have to put out about 230w so that may have been a factor. I didn't do it this week for various reasons so have to fit it in this weekend thus loading up the key sessions:rolleyes: I've been reading other uk and us forums discussing the DF plans and some who have used them for previous IMs found that loading the weekends up with a long brick one day and long run the next day took its toll, significantly in the third 10 weeks block when the hours were greater. Other schools of though per say seem to space the key sessions out over the week. So something like long swim tuesday, long run thursday and long brick sunday. Last week I did that but the bike was on thursday and run on sunday. I can't guage how effective it was as it was a big week anyway and I was generally wrecked after it. Interesting though if you had a free weekend to do your bike, would you thne do your LSR midweek. Sorry for waffling on your log but you really seem to be balancing things well albeit how you are doing it with so little sleep is beyond me! Just wanted to get your thoughts on the long run + long bike at the weekend system of DF?

Anyway, on the gels thing. I use Powerbar all the time. I tried lots of other types of gels but found the PB ones best. They need lots of washing down though I'll say that. 41g of which 27g is carbs and only 10g sugars, so the rest (assuming you squeeze it all out) is released rather slowly. In my experience on marathons they work really well especially beyond 2-2.5 hours when your glycogen store is shot. I have made mistakes with them too. Kilkee 2009 I didn't drink enough water and stitched up badly. Thw Worlds in Budapest last year I gambled on taking 2 on the bike and one before the swim and paid the price with another stitch on the run. When the work though I have noticed the effect.

I'm interested too in the mixing a few in the bottle trick. It could be an efficient way to get them on board on the day.

Right enough of you log space used up. Great training, and well done spinning all the plates man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

JB things are going so well for you, you seem to be very strong mentally to be doing those long turbo's and following them up with tough swim sessions hours later-a brick some might say! I personally use the high5 iso gels for running as they go down easy and Zipvit gels for the bike (28.1 carb content) This is what works for me anyway and I prefer to err on the side of more is better than not enough. Some may recall my HOTW report last year, excessive? I didn't think so as I finished v strong.

Keep up the good training man, keep healthy and fit (and rest some too!!) :)

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi JB,

Abhainn sent me over here to try to scare me!:)

Like yourself I have used Powerbar gels - the ones with caffeine. Based on the suggestion printed on a little leaflet that came with my Powerbar hydration belt, for my last two marathons I've taken 4 gels each poured into the little 125ml bottles that go on the belt and filled up with water. They've worked fine and I think they go down a bit easier.

A lot of this is personal preference - my own perspective is that my legs seem to like the gels, either High-5 or Powerbar, especially in the latter stages of a long run, but the stomach isn't quite such a big fan.

Thanks Aero, yeah i am using the apple flavoured caffeineited ones. I can generally keep down about six at most but after that i get pretty bad stomach cramps so taking some with water should help me later on in IM race day. BTW hope i did not scare you too much:pac:
    ronanmac wrote: »
    I agree with Aero2k on it being personal preference. I took a Powerbar gel on mile 23 of DCM 09, and vomited my way up Nassau Street! I had difficulty keeping the SiS gels down during Gaelforce, but I find the High5 Isotonic caffeine gels great. Used them for DCM 2010 with no problem (except for the onset of diabetes perhaps :)), would definitely recommend them.

I think i will try a batch of each and see what tastes/works well. I do find the powerbar ones do a good job it's just the cramping problems it causes me if i take a couple of them.
    Hey JB, well done on that long turbo , early swim combo. I did it last week and cramped up badly on the early swim. Although to hold 33kmh I have to put out about 230w so that may have been a factor. I didn't do it this week for various reasons so have to fit it in this weekend thus loading up the key sessions:rolleyes: I've been reading other uk and us forums discussing the DF plans and some who have used them for previous IMs found that loading the weekends up with a long brick one day and long run the next day took its toll, significantly in the third 10 weeks block when the hours were greater. Other schools of though per say seem to space the key sessions out over the week. So something like long swim tuesday, long run thursday and long brick sunday. Last week I did that but the bike was on thursday and run on sunday. I can't guage how effective it was as it was a big week anyway and I was generally wrecked after it. Interesting though if you had a free weekend to do your bike, would you thne do your LSR midweek. Sorry for waffling on your log but you really seem to be balancing things well albeit how you are doing it with so little sleep is beyond me! Just wanted to get your thoughts on the long run + long bike at the weekend system of DF?

Anyway, on the gels thing. I use Powerbar all the time. I tried lots of other types of gels but found the PB ones best. They need lots of washing down though I'll say that. 41g of which 27g is carbs and only 10g sugars, so the rest (assuming you squeeze it all out) is released rather slowly. In my experience on marathons they work really well especially beyond 2-2.5 hours when your glycogen store is shot. I have made mistakes with them too. Kilkee 2009 I didn't drink enough water and stitched up badly. Thw Worlds in Budapest last year I gambled on taking 2 on the bike and one before the swim and paid the price with another stitch on the run. When the work though I have noticed the effect.

I'm interested too in the mixing a few in the bottle trick. It could be an efficient way to get them on board on the day.

Right enough of you log space used up. Great training, and well done spinning all the plates man!

For me i have noticed the quality of my long bike and in particular my long run has improved since spacing them out two weeks ago. I know DF plans have them scheduled back to back over a weekend but this does not work for me as i need to keep a day over the weekend relatively free for family time.
    For me it is about fitting my plan around other things going on. I know Tunney got onto me about training plans back before i started my IM training, at the time i disagreed but he is spot on. I have a rough weekly plan and i tinker with it slightly to suit outside influences but it is helpful to have an idea of what sessions you have scheduled in for the week.
    It will be interesting to see how you perform on the long bike/run this weekend compared to when you had them spaced out last week. I will probably switch in 3/4 weeks to a midweek LSR and a long bike when the weather starts improving and i start hitting 5/6 hour rides in. Hard to find a 5/6 hour window midweek!!
    If you get a chance Mike link us to your Kilkee and Worlds race reports as i would find them helpful. One last thing on the sleep thing i need to start getting at least 7 hours in as i reckon i will hit a wall and improvements will slow down if i continue the way i am going. All the training books state that sufficient rest and recovery is key to good training.
    JB things are going so well for you, you seem to be very strong mentally to be doing those long turbo's and following them up with tough swim sessions hours later-a brick some might say! I personally use the high5 iso gels for running as they go down easy and Zipvit gels for the bike (28.1 carb content) This is what works for me anyway and I prefer to err on the side of more is better than not enough. Some may recall my HOTW report last year, excessive? I didn't think so as I finished v strong.

Keep up the good training man, keep healthy and fit (and rest some too!!) :)

Re the bolded bit i am just a stubborn mule and my train of thought is you get out what you put in. I don't like doing things half arsed in life and in particular when i set myself challenging goals.
    I did try zipvit gels before but i found the taste terrible however i can highly recommend the bars...they are bloody tasty. If you have a link of your HOTW race report it would be cool to read.

Jaysus what a waffler i am at times.

Advertisement