Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutritional consultation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Can you give me an example of why we need certain foods at certain times?

I'm interested in that.

You don't. If anyone tells you you do, they are wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You don't. If anyone tells you you do, they are wrong.
    I took that to mean need in a craving kind of way, it is helpful to understand why that happens.

Oryx wrote: »
    I took that to mean need in a craving kind of way, it is helpful to understand why that happens.

Ah I see. I missed that. I'd say it's a very individual thing, especially if food is used for psychological reasons rather than physical reasons, as would seem to be the case here. It would also be dependent on a person's; will power, propensity for instant gratification, goals, determination, history, perceptions of food, hormone and stress levels, time of year, time of month, amount of sleep etc.

Ie. the same as most things, the average (across the population) reasons for peoples' cravings can be estimated but an individuals, not so much.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah I see. I missed that. I'd say it's a very individual thing, especially if food is used for psychological reasons rather than physical reasons, as would seem to be the case here. It would also be dependent on a person's; will power, propensity for instant gratification, goals, determination, history, perceptions of food, hormone and stress levels, time of year, time of month, amount of sleep etc.

Ie. the same as most things, the average (across the population) reasons for peoples' cravings can be estimated but an individuals, not so much.
    I would imagine a one to one consult would be worth trying if you did have such issues. Youd get to investigate it on an individual basis.

Oryx wrote: »
    I would imagine a one to one consult would be worth trying if you did have such issues. Youd get to investigate it on an individual basis.

I'd agree. I don't know, but does a dietician deal with psychological connections with food or just the physiological effects of it. Again, I don't know but I would have presumed the latter. If it is the latter, a consultation would be advisable but not with a dietician.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd agree. I don't know, but does a dietician deal with psychological connections with food or just the physiological effects of it. Vn, I don't know but I would have presumed the latter. If it is the latter, a consultation would be advisable but not with a dietician.?

I've been to a dietician and they didn't deal with the psychological issues around food. Just looked at what I ate and making sure if was balanced.

It depends on the issues but a CBT would be very beneficial in many cases. They help make sense of the issues and help solve the problems by realigning how you view food.

I've been to a dietician and they didn't deal with the psychological issues around food. Just looked at what I ate and making sure if was balanced.

It depends on the issues but a CBT would be very beneficial in many cases. They help make sense of the issues and help solve the problems by realigning how you view food.

I love when these threads go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I love when these threads go somewhere.

I suggested the CBT early on but it got lost amid the 'everything is online'. And it is and if it's just that the OP doesn't know what to eat and what not to eat, then I wouldn't necessarily suggest they needed professional advice. That said, some people need that extra motivation.

But if it's linked to esteem and other psychological issues, then CBT is what I would suggest.

I suggested the CBT early on but it got lost amid the 'everything is online'. And it is and if it's just that the OP doesn't know what to eat and what not to eat, then I wouldn't necessarily suggest they needed professional advice. That said, some people need that extra motivation.

But if it's linked to esteem and other psychological issues, then CBT is what I would suggest.

Sorry, I can't read most of the threads in this forum any more.

Advertisement