Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

you could be doing alot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today, I headed into Phoenix Park to do a reccy of the 10K course. My running buddy (sub 1hr-10k) had to beg-off due to an injury, so I ended up running it a good deal faster than I had originally intended. In the end, did it in around the 44 minute mark at a comfortable pace. Being not too familiar with Phoenix Park, had to stop and check out the map a few times! I'll post my analysis of the route in my next post in a few mins.

It's a lovely scenic run. Far nicer than the BUPA 10K course, but this comes at a price, in the form of a couple of hills.
    Check out: my beautiful coloured map!
    1st Hill: is at Lower Glen Road (4kms), is about a kilometer long, but isn't too steep, and has a lovely recovery run off for the next kilometer so no real need to slow down.
    2nd Hill: is at Acres Road (6kms), by the Chapelizod entrance to the Park and is a little bit deceptive. When you round the bend at the top of the hill, you realize there's a couple more bends with further uphills. A nice flat section afterwards to recover.
    3rd Hill: As you go past the Fort/Garrison(?) at the meeting point of Military road and Kyber Road you hit the last hill. It's gentle, but tiring, as it comes at the 8km-9km point and 'feels' like it goes on for a while. When you reach the top of the hill, you'll be at the triangle just before the flat last kilometer stretch to the finish line.

The Start/Finish area is very exposed, so it will likely be very cold on race morning. I think I'll be bringing a black bag for the start and end of the race!

Other stuff:
    Elevation Profile
    Interactive Google Map
    My beautiful coloured map (again)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey Krusty I love your maps etc. How do get all that? Is it from your forerunner? Does it do all that?

Also can you come down and run the 10ks I've planned for next year around Limerick and Clare? The information you just posted is priceless

Hi Bally8, yes it's all from the Forerunner. The Forerunner creates a file called something like: 27112008 140432.tcx (where the first part is the date, and the second is the time you started). If you convert the file to GPX (GPS XML) then there are lots of web-based tools you can use to play around with it.

One of the most useful is Adam Schneider's www.GPSVisualizer.com, which will do the conversion from TCX to GPX, but also create the google maps html and elevation profiles. My beautiful coloured map was made in Paintbrush. :D

You can also use your Forerunner when hiking, for geo-tagging your photos (kind of like this). I'm looking forward to bringing mine skiing in January to see how it works out. I used to lug around a GPS receiver.

I'm having a Krusty week next week.
    The wife off to work at 9,Child to school ...
    no work until 12 myself ...
    I'll sneek a few runs in early ...
    All i have to do is give the place a bit of a hoover and everyones happy !

Sosa wrote: »
    I'm having a Krusty week...
    LOL. Sounds like an illness! I chose my Boards username years before I started running. Otherwise, I would be called 'athleto-man', or 'runner_of _significant_achievement' or I would be named after a Greek god, like...Achilles... ...or maybe not....

Enjoy your week of running freedom! Be free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

LOL. Sounds like an illness! I chose my Boards username years before I started running. Otherwise, I would be called 'athleto-man', or 'runner_of _significant_achievement' or I would be named after a Greek god, like...Achilles... ...or maybe not....

Enjoy your week of running freedom! Be free!
    I know what you mean i picked mine years ago too. When i posted on the Athletics first before i did i was looking to see if i could change it.

8 x 800 metres, with 200m walk/jog between. Average pace: 3:50/km. Average HR: 156.
    Not nearly as much fun as the 400m intervals!
    Total: 12kms.

No running for nearly 48 hours. Phew.
    Weights/strength training tomorrow, and 11 mile LSR on Sunday.

• Advertisement

12 Mile sociable urban run this morning. Shankill, Foxrock, Deansgrange, and then followed the green belt back to Killiney, and up over Killiney Avenue. Paths were very icy, but it was a very pleasant run. Total for the week ~ 42 miles.

8 x 400m Intervals with 200 metre walk/jog on icy paths in Shanganagh Park.
    Went very well. The rest day on Saturday (even if hungover!) was obviously very beneficial. Also did my HH Strength training in the right order this time (after my run). Average pace for the 400m reps - 3:32.

400m Reps times:
    1:20/1:25/1:23/1:27/1:25/1:28/1:23/1:26
    ...as compare to last week:
    1:33/1:30/1:31/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:30/1:33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

8 x 400m Intervals with 200 metre walk/jog on icy paths in Shanganagh Park.
    Went very well. The rest day on Saturday (even if hungover!) was obviously very beneficial. Also did my HH Strength training in the right order this time (after my run). Average pace for the 400m reps - 3:32.

400m Reps times:
    1:20/1:25/1:23/1:27/1:25/1:28/1:23/1:26
    ...as compare to last week:
    1:33/1:30/1:31/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:30/1:33

Good work KC! I noticed a couple people doing these 8*400m sessions so I did one last week and it was tough. How long are your walking rests? I'm taking 75 secs between reps and I'm just wondering if its too short

Thanks MCOS. I was doing 200 metres rest, with 100m walk + 100m jog, so somewhere around 75-90 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great split times KC. 1:20 for your 1st one! You were keen!
    I'm very happy that the 12x400 interval for me was last week and not this week, so 6x400 doesn't sound so bad for this Thurs. I did them with a training partner which was great to be able to try keep pace with them and vice versa. We slow jogged for 60 secs between each repeat. The jog getting slower as we neared 12!

Thanks SJ! I never have a clue how fast I should be running these. Amadeus' training program suggests 5K pace, which seems a bit slow (closer to the pace I hope to run the race at). HH's advanced 10K program specifies mile pace (or 1500), so I went with closer to that pace.

Will definitely give these a go on the track at some stage. I reckon it'd be a lot easier when you don't have to contend with dogs, prams, ice, branches, zimmer frames, and doggy poos.

Did you do your 12x400m at mile pace? :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm a bit like yourself in terms of judging pace. I don't have full stats for my last interval stint, as training partner did the garmin trick, but did 6 of the 400s in 1:21, 3 in 1:25, 1 in 1:27 and 1 in 1:30. Very happy with those. We were doing out and back runs in Shangannagh last week and I figure the higher figures where for the 'slightly' uphiller of the 2 runs.

:eek: I was choking after 8 reps, 12 is some serious punishment!

Seem to have picked up a chest infection, so instead of 3 easy miles, did 3 miles around Ikea at very easy pace (1mile/hour), followed by heavy lifting, and three hours of endurance training in the traffic back to Dublin. Hopefully normal service will resume tomorrow. :(

5 brisk miles doing a loop around Shankill and finishing in Shanganagh Park. Pushed a little too hard, but missed my run yesterday, and this is the last real run until the race on Saturday. Pace: 4:12/km - 33:51 (which betters my previous best 5 mile time by a minute and a half). Included some short hills too, to try and simulate the Aware 10K route.

Still off target for my planned race time (by 3 secs/km). But the training work is done. I stuck pretty zealously to the training plan, and worked harder in most cases. Still harbouring some chest infection.

Thursday: HH Strength training
    Friday: 2 Miles easy.
    Saturday: Race. Party.

You're done a good prep KC. Good luck at the weekend. I'll be resting up completely on Friday. But a race / party Saturday sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

Finished in 40:30 (and could probably knock 10-15 seconds off that for the start), so a full minute ahead of my target. More detailed reprt to follow, once all the partying is done. :)

Well done krusty ...great time...enjoy the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great time Krusty, you must be thrilled with that run! You put in the training, and sure enough, got the result from it. There's no stopping you going sub40 on the back of this, well done.

Thanks guys. Just looked at Forerunner logs and my splits were:
    4:15
    4:07
    4:03
    4:03
    3:56
    3:51
    3:56
    3:58
    4:23 (Khyber Road!)
    3:38
    ...and a 5k split of 20:13/20:17.. So really happy with that.
    Official time was 40:32 and finished in 82nd place.

Was planning on taking all of next week off, but already looking forward to my next run.. Addicted? Most definitely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Krusty it looks like you've carried your good form on from DM and a bit more aswell. Congrats. What's going to be next.

Well done KC, good run and nice kick in the last K. That base is holding strong for you. Sub 40 is almost in the bag :cool:

Thanks a million! I'm delighted to see that I have the same split for Slogger_Jogger up the Kyber. Now there's a confidence booster. :) (Even if he could have taken a nap for 20 seconds for every one of the other kms :D).

I'm struggling to decide what's next. Would love to do another 10k program immediately, and try and get some significant improvement, but, I'm signed up for the Connemarathon in March (which I plan to do more like an LSR) and then the real target is Edinburgh in May for a Boston Qualifier. There doesn't seem to be any 10Ks of note over the next two months (except the Athenry 10k, which I don't think I can get to). So I reckon I'll have to skip it and start training for Edinburgh using one of the longer P&D programs, and pick up a race or two along the way (and of course some BAC races!).

Not satisfied with signing up for Rotterdam I've signed up for Edinburgh too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done KC. Even splits and a strong finish. Satisfied Id say

New Plan Launch!
    I'm going to do the Pfitzinger & Douglas 24 week / Up to 55 miles per week plan in training for Edinburgh marathon, with the goal of beating 3:15 (Boston Qualifier), and getting as close to 3 hours as possible (for the next assault!). 11 weeks before Edinburgh, I will do the Connemarathon, instead of the weekly long run (26 miles instead of 20).

A 24 week marathon plan may seem over the top, but it's broken up with the Connemarathon in the middle, to keep the interest and motivation alive! I'm running the Connemarathon with a friend who is launching his marathon career, so is aiming for 3:45, which puts the pace bang on, for my long runs.

I'm going to start the plan a week early, as I'm off skiing with the family in early January, so will miss a week (but get added high-altitude aerobic training!). So, kick off day is.... Yesterday?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday - Week 24 - Day 1
    Cross-training - Football for 90 mins, covered 8kms. Scored two lucky goals. :)

Tuesday - Week 24 - Day 2
    7 Miles at aerobic pace, with 10 x 100m strides
    53 mins @7:34min/mile.

Exhausted, and it's only day 2 of a 168 day program. :o
    Late nights + booze + antibiotics + Ikea furniture assembly + running = Tired.

Hi Krusty just curious to what percentage of your max HR equates to aerobic pace, I'll be heading out myself later for the same run and I can't find my book. :D

Hi Woddle, P&D describes them as being between lactate threshold and recovery, so figure something between 70% and 80%. I've attached my heart rate zones spreadsheet, based on P&D's figures.

Cheers Krusty, and looking it over has just confirmed what I already know, I don't work hard enough during training. Cheers for the info

Berlin Marathon entry has just opened. You can order a bowl of pasta 9 months in advance. How's that for efficiency?!
    That's my goal for the second half of next year sorted. Registration.

I'd love to but its too soon after my A goal next year. I've entered Dublin again as its the 30th anniversary. I'm giving myself just 6 weeks to train for it but will be in good shape starting that phase. Keeping an eye on your progress KC as I understand you are looking for a Boston time next year.

I'm registered for three marathons already and will probably do Dublin also (for the craic). :o Might try and fit in some swimming lessons too next year, so I can take the first step on that path to follow you down the tri-road. Yep, Boston qualifier is the big one, hopefully as close to the 3 hour mark as I can get, which might give me a launch platform for my next goal. :D

Wednesday - Hal Higdon strength training.
    Thursday - 8 mile @aerobic pace. Hungover after friend returned from the US and demanded sacrifice to the beer gods, but still had a great run. Was considering postponing, but on day 4 of the training plan, not a good idea! Very cold out, but wore my new under-armour, which worked out great.

By the way, there's a sale in the new Elverys Sports shop in Dundrum - 33% off all Asics and under-armour gear.

Friday - Did my weekend long run two days early, as I'm headed to Limerick in the morning for the rest of the weekend. Felt hungry after 2.5 miles, and then from mile 8 onwards. Signs that I need to make sure I eat properly before longer runs. Have been getting too used to the 10k training runs which rarely last more than an hour. Tough passing a few restaurants and takeaways, where the smell of food was mouth-watering.

A cold, wet, dark hungry 11 miles in 1:26 (7:50/mile). Average HR - 136 (72%).

• Advertisement

On another quick note, I just passed the 1,000 mile mark on my Garmin Forerunner, since the 18th May. Wonder how long it will take to cover the next thousand!

4 Mile recovery run. Overdue from last week's running, but decided to do it anyway today, as football has been called off. Pace: 7:42/mile. Average heart rate: 74%, so just about on target.

8 Hilly miles in the cold and the wet, including 10 x 100m strides, towards the end, when the terrain got a bit flatter. It's great when you find an enjoyable circuit like this, which is ideal for this kind of workout. The first 4.5 miles is a decent climb (up around Carrigologan), which sets you up for a nice restive return, and lots of energy to do the strides.

I think the exploring/sight-seeing nature of running is rarely mentioned on this forum, and often neglected by runners. For me, it's 'where you go' rather than 'what you do' which makes running so enjoyable. Not so sure about the accurracy of the Forerunner's elevation, but this should approximate the hill run:

68645.JPG

Oh yeah, took bang on an hour, @4:42/km, with Average HR: 156/82% (a little above aerobic, but that's the price of them there hills!).

4 Miles recovery in the Shanganagh Park. Switched over the Garmin to show only heart rate and distance, so had a nice relaxing run. Kept my HR below P&Ds 75%. Pace was 5m/km. This was my marathon race pace not so long ago, so it's great to see the progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

8 Hilly miles in the cold and the wet, including 10 x 100m strides, towards the end, when the terrain got a bit flatter. It's great when you find an enjoyable circuit like this, which is ideal for this kind of workout. The first 4.5 miles is a decent climb (up around Carrigologan), which sets you up for a nice restive return, and lots of energy to do the strides.

I think the exploring/sight-seeing nature of running is rarely mentioned on this forum, and often neglected by runners. For me, it's 'where you go' rather than 'what you do' which makes running so enjoyable. .

That's a good run Krusty. Agree with you on the sightseeing aspect of runs.

Another great run today. Schedule called for 9 miles Aerobic, so did a quick search on Motionbased' Trail Network, and found a backroad from Shankill to Cabinteely park, via Tully Burial grounds (think this was from one of Slogger Joggers' runs). I've ran past the top of Heronford road a couple of hundred times and never knew this path existed. And I had always wondered where and why that extra bridge over the M50 existed (I still don't really know!). Well, it was a great find, but I wonder if the LUAS works will put an end to this route, which is far more interesting (hilly/muddy) than the N11.

9 Miles - Pace: 7:38/Mile - Time: 1:09 - HR: 151 (79%). Elevation gain: 589m.
    Even managed a mile or two at planned marathon pace.

A buddy of mine gave me a couple of sachets of Hornet Juice, which he swears by, so I figured I'd give one a try. Well, I don't know if it made any difference (and I'm normally dubious about these things), but since my run I'm bouncing around the place. Tastes like muck though! Further proof that I'll eat anything.

• Advertisement

Great run KC. I really do think you are stalking me now. :pac:

There was another one I did one day from Cabinteely to the lead mines tower and from there to... the top of 3 rock mountain. Needless to say I was wrecked afterwards and it was quite trafficy along the main Enniskerry road.

I too am a great believer in the sightsighting / restorative powers of running. Theres nothing quite like running on a crisp winter morning in the Wicklow hills. Theres the curiousity factor in exploring paths and roads less taken, and for me thats one of my main reasons in running. Being able to do races and marathons at the end of it is a bonus.

I'm looking forward to being off from this Friday and taking a bit more time to do more runs around Wicklow.. more than the HH schedule is looking for, so I'll disregard the garmin technology on some of them and run simply for the enjoyment.

Great run KC. I really do think you are stalking me now. :pac:
    Stalking you? I couldn't keep up with you! There's no way I could have made it up to three rock mountain after a run like that! You're insane! I was delighted with an out and back, with a lap of Cabinteely Park. Nice and easy now for the rest of the week, until a 14 mile run this weekend. Probably the coastal route to Dun Laoghaire and back, which is as nice as urban runs get, in South County Dub.

14 Mile LSR with a buddy, at a pace slower than my usual LSR pace (8:44/mile), but finished with two miles at planned marathon pace so happy overall. Average heart rate 130, so not getting the full benefits of the long run, but it's early days yet, with many more long runs to go. 405 reported almost 2,000 feet of ascents, but I think the Garmin reads the altitude way too high. We got a few nice hills in though, which will help in Connemara.

MotionBased.

Elevation stats look odd considering you're avoiding out and out hills. Good running though. You must have been tempted to jog up to the lead mines tower? :)

There seems to be an issue with some Garmins. Even when I was looking at people's stats for the Raheny 5 mile on Motionbased, people with the same model of Forerunner were getting substantially different results. It's probably down to changes Garmin made in the firmware, but the differences are massive. But don't ruin my buzz! Let me believe I scaled mountains today. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement