Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BrigitaKont

Any opinions about WestWood Club Clontarf?

I'm looking for good gym/swimming pool in Dublin 1,3 or 7 areas

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Did that used to be called something else? Also, what's the situation with parking there? Is it all pay and display etc?

It used to be Ironside Gym, it's beside East barbell gym which is a powerlifting/crossfit gym from the looks of it

There is parking at the back of the building for members, could probably fit 7 cars there but it's never busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

RomanGod wrote: »
    It used to be Ironside Gym, it's beside East barbell gym which is a powerlifting/crossfit gym from the looks of it

There is parking at the back of the building for members, could probably fit 7 cars there but it's never busy

That's ECB, they're a weightlifting gym.

That's ECB, they're a weightlifting gym.

I've only glanced inside when they have the door opened. It doesnt look like a typical weightlifting gym, looks like a powerlifting meet up with the layout and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

AH92 wrote: »
    Hey guys anyone got any idea if Herberton Leisure is worth joining up in Rialto? It's either that, energie parkwest or Liffey Valley fitness.I used to be in Ben Dunne Lucan for several years but place is just too packed now!

Only been in the Herberton once but I have to say I was very impressed. Huge range of equipment, some nice plate loaded stuff, big cardio area, dumbbells up to 60 (I think). You can buy a day pass for €8 so maybe try it out and see how you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

DL Saint wrote: »
    Only been in the Herberton once but I have to say I was very impressed. Huge range of equipment, some nice plate loaded stuff, big cardio area, dumbbells up to 60 (I think). You can buy a day pass for €8 so maybe try it out and see how you like it.
    Thanks, I can get a discount for 25 euro a month which is handy :) Gonna go in there in a few days to check out how pack it gets at peak times!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

DL Saint wrote: »

Have they sorted out the changing rooms? I joined about a year and a half ago for a few months, the mens changing room was always roasting, impossible to dry yourself off, always left in a bucket of sweat.

Wasn't that impressed with the free weights area either, only two or three benches i recall, and a lot of the equipment was a worn.

Didn't like how the cardio stuff faced into the wall either..

I did like the pool area though

Moved across town and joined Ben Dunne Jervis, mad busy at peak but I think they look after the gear there quite well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Anyone know about 1escape in Smithfield? It's 5 minutes from me so considering it but I've come across lots of references to it being expensive online. Anyone know how expensive, or if there happens to be a student rate?

For anyone wondering, it's €79 a month and €65 for students, with a minimum 3 months' notice to cancel, and doesn't look that f*cking nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

For anyone considering the Herberton at Rialto, it's running the €75 for 3 months signup next weekend. It also has a loyalty scheme whereby if you decide to renew within those 3 months the price always stays the same.

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Has anyone done the 7am classes at Flyefit Swords? Would they be really busy at that time? I'm thinking of joining but I would be going most days @ 7am and don't want to join if I'm not gonna be able to do the 7am class.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Has anyone done the 7am classes at Flyefit Swords? Would they be really busy at that time? I'm thinking of joining but I would be going most days @ 7am and don't want to join if I'm not gonna be able to do the 7am class.
    Thanks

It's €9 PAYG. Go and do one, see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newby88

I'm looking to join a gym for 6 months. The gyms closet to me would be westpoint, westmanstown or the NAC gym. Would anyone be able to recommend one of these. I mainly want it for pool use, cardio and some machine weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

newby88 wrote: »
    I'm looking to join a gym for 6 months. The gyms closet to me would be westpoint, westmanstown or the NAC gym. Would anyone be able to recommend one of these. I mainly want it for pool use, cardio and some machine weights?
    Inspire gym, Cabra?
    bout 5 mins from mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Any opinions about WestWood Club Clontarf?

I'm looking for good gym/swimming pool in Dublin 1,3 or 7 areas

Has gone from arguably the best gym in the country when it first opened to a farcical circus - recently renovated/on going, looks like a disco, tnew layout is squashed, new lighting, as said is disco like, you need clear lighting in the free weights area!! i have also noticed some regulars have now disappeared, thinking of doing so myself!!

Has gone from arguably the best gym in the country when it first opened to a farcical circus - recently renovated/on going, looks like a disco, tnew layout is squashed, new lighting, as said is disco like, you need clear lighting in the free weights area!! i have also noticed some regulars have now disappeared, thinking of doing so myself!!

Went downhill around the same time I got kicked out. Coincidence? Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Anybody ever use TNDO Fitness East Wall? Am thinking of using them for PT sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Anyone using Strenght & Fitness Westside in the mornings ?
    Wonder what its like compared to Ben Dunne Westpoint at about 7 in the morning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

RomanGod wrote: »
    Went downhill around the same time I got kicked out. Coincidence? Nope

kicked out???

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Hey all,

Just moved to Phibsborough..and my Ben Dunne jervis st membership is up.

Are there any decent options in the area? I'm very close to Phibsborough Gym but have no idea what it's like - anyone a member there?

I'd be happy with a similar set up with Ben Dunne.

Cheers!

ILF

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Hey all,

Are there any decent options in the area? I'm very close to Phibsborough Gym but have no idea what it's like - anyone a member there?

Cheers!

ILF

You would be better off sticking with Ben Dunne. Phibsborough Gym is poor enough, nothing compared to the value in BD. Your'e still pretty close to Jervis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

power gym at the bottom of phibsboro road (top of upper Dominick street) is excellent and well worth the fee

I think it is 200e for the year or 10e a pw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Crawford fitness Derry city

For a Small gym its pretty good and they limit Membership so it won't ever be to crowded

Prices are reasonable with a good selection of equipment, as much as a gym that size could have, A few cages and a moderate supply of free weights and benches, amd some weight machines for good measure, with a small cardio section.

the clientele seem focused on lifting so free weight and cages get the most use

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

kicked out???

Wouldn't put away he's weights, use to leave 240kg + on a bar in the middle of the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Came across this Gym over the weekend online. For anyone around Inchicore area check out this new gym looks a very impressive setup. Pics on the FB link.

http://ultimatefitness.ie/index.php

https://www.facebook.com/UltimatefitnessInchicore

I am in now way linked to it and haven't even been in the gym itself but looks great so thought I would share it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I'm in Carlisle, I go before work and to be honest its not that bad, certainly not as bad as I would have expected from the reviews here.
    Yes there are a large number of fools wandering round (the sort that takes gym selfies/ wears full face of makeup) but most ppl just keep to themselves and get on with their workout.
    I don't use the pool, steam room, or jacuzzi so can't comment on them, but the changing rooms are clean enough, and I've never noted a hygiene issue there. Again as I said though I'm arriving at opening time so would expect things to be pretty clean at that stage.
    They could have a wider selection of free weights, but all in all its not bad for the money.

does carlisle gym have many power racks? how busy is it around 7am would you know?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone a member of the Baggot street flyefit?

I can safely assume it's busy between 6 and 8 but is it so busy that there would be a queue of several people for a squat rack/bench/room to deadlift ?
    My last gym wasn't so bad as it would just be someone using the squat rack so you could come back in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Caliden wrote: »
    Anyone a member of the Baggot street flyefit?

I can safely assume it's busy between 6 and 8 but is it so busy that there would be a queue of several people for a squat rack/bench/room to deadlift ?
    My last gym wasn't so bad as it would just be someone using the squat rack so you could come back in 5 minutes.

I go in at 7pm to baggot and its fine. Very seldom have to wait on anything.

I really like the gym too, would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BrigitaKont

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Hey all,

Cheers!

ILF

I live just across the road to Phisborough gym and I really wanted to try, but every day I'm passing the windows and I can see that it's so poor and quite... so probably even not worth to try, I know that Educogym is very close as well, but I didn't hear any opinions about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just moved near the Sportsco gym on South Lotts Road.

Any recent reviews of the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Been a while but it's pricey. Flyefit on Macken St and Baggot St cheaper and better equipped, IMO.

Advertisement