Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yep Friday 27th November to be precise.
    Also the following Monday is Cyber Monday.

Hoping to bag a Fire TV myself.
    Was gearing up for same but only 1 usb port ? :(

Need 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

groom wrote: »
    You haven't tried the right ones. Kodi performance is excellent on Amazon devices, RPi2 and my Ouya before that. Some of the advantages they have over an old laptop is that they are extremely low power, can be always on or turn on when the TV is turned on, fitted behind your TV, working remote and the absence of the whirring fan.

Willing to try again, which amazon device would you recommend, ethernet would be nice.

TIA

stanley1 wrote: »
    Willing to try again, which amazon device would you recommend, ethernet would be nice.

TIA
    Amazon Fire TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

have to say a bit disappointed with android boxes, found an old laptop and stuck kodi on, like night and day, much better experience, just my 2 cents worth.

just get a windows box. comes preinstalled with windows 8

(just removed the link as just saw the company is no longer allowed on here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

TIA

The bigger, more expensive device (AFTV) is better because of ethernet, usb port, better remote.

But the stick is great as well and it's mega cheap. I think the stick works best if its in the room your router is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

dodzy wrote: »

Need 2.

You can use a USB hub to connect both a USB drive and other USB devices like mouse keyboard etc. The fire tv will only mount one connected drive though.

Need 2.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone using a Nexus player for Kodi?

How does it compare to the AFT?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

The bigger, more expensive device (AFTV) is better because of ethernet, usb port, better remote.

But the stick is great as well and it's mega cheap. I think the stick works best if its in the room your router is in.

My firestick is upstairs and the the router is downstairs and it works flawlessly. Also its powered from the usb on the tv so its only on when the tv is on and doesnt need to be powered from the wall.

• Advertisement

must fire stick be plugged into usb port on tv ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

No. I just use it to power the firestick. It comes with a wall plug also

Do-more wrote: »
    Anyone using a Nexus player for Kodi?

How does it compare to the AFT?

It's alot more expensive anyhow. I haven't heard of anyone getting one. I think the AFTV pricing killed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

It's alot more expensive anyhow. I haven't heard of anyone getting one. I think the AFTV pricing killed it.

?? Amazon Fire TV is £80 + PM so about €115-€120 all in vs. Nexus Player at €99.

According to this post on the Kodi forum the Nexus is a better choice than the AFTV, but says that the Wetek Core is better than either (but it is £120 and not on sale yet).

The AFTV is discounted by 25% for Black Friday in the US so will probably get the same size of discount in the UK leaving it at £59.99 + PM so around €90.

Will do some more research and wait to see if Google offer any Black Friday deal on the Nexus Player.

[Edit] Nexus Player is now £59.99 in Argos UK

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

?? Amazon Fire TV is £80 + PM so about €115-€120 all in vs. Nexus Player at €99.

According to this post on the Kodi forum the Nexus is a better choice than the AFTV, but says that the Wetek Core is better than either (but it is £120 and not on sale yet).

The AFTV is discounted by 25% for Black Friday in the US so will probably get the same size of discount in the UK leaving it at £59.99 + PM so around €90.

Will do some more research and wait to see if Google offer any Black Friday deal on the Nexus Player.

[Edit] Nexus Player is now £59.99 in Argos UK

One of the issues with the Nexus Player is it doesn't have an Ethernet port I think

One of the issues with the Nexus Player is it doesn't have an Ethernet port I think

This one works with it apparently (as do others) and you'd be wanting a hub anyway with just one microusb port. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0116UIMGG

For kodi theres not much in it but as an android device

The nexus player has root, recovery, cyanogenmod, lollipop, marshmallow available, should have a very long support life in the community.
    Doesn't have iplayer, all4, itv player etc. and lots of other drm based apps.

New fire tv requires hardware root, app store is a joke, it has iplayer but no all4, no itv player like the nexus player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

brightkane wrote: »
    I don't have a prime sub. I just use it for kodi (and all that it brings) and Netflix. Nothing else . Remote is a beaut to use imo.

I don't fully understand Kodi or some of these other devices. Sorry for the stupid question, but my son uses showbox on his Samsung Galaxy. If I get the Amazon Fire stick, and don't use prime, can I get shoebox to work on it, either on its own or through Kodi or something like that? If so, is it as simple as just downloading the shoebox app or would I have to modify files etc??.

Thanks in advance

I don't fully understand Kodi or some of these other devices. Sorry for the stupid question, but my son uses shoebox on his Samsung Galaxy. If I get the Amazon Fire stick, and don't use prime, can I get shoebox to work on it, either on its own or through Kodi or something like that? If so, is it as simple as just downloading the shoebox app or would I have to modify files etc??.

Thanks in advance

Shoebox. Lol:D

On a serious note, yes, it's easy. Here's s simple tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPA_ocpPvjk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Shoebox. Lol:D

On a serious note, yes, it's easy. Here's s simple tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPA_ocpPvjk

Damn predictive text and spellchecker, just fixed that thanks.
    Also, thanks for the link, ordered a box since it seems easy to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Does anyone here know: will having a business VPN affect Kodi? I hope to get my gf an MX because the business VPN stopped her Chromecast from working (she works from home)

Hope you can help thanks!

True. Ture.

When they were first released and the AFTV briefly was £49 (back when £49 was < €60) I might've had a point.

At the same time the Nexus is more comparable to the AFTV Stick as they both lack Ethernet.
    I think it does come down to whether you want to use it for more than XBMC in which case the Nexus would be more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I have pi2 and fire tv stick. If its just for kodi then I think the fire tv stick is better. Especially as by the time you've got a decent wifi adapter, decent power supply, decent sd card the pi2 is more expensive than the fire tv and with the fire tv stick you get the lovely wireless remote.

Whats the remote like for Kodi on the fire stick? For example, how do you bring up the context menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I have pi2, is firestick better for kodi? or chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Deal seems to be finished.

Anybody recommend anywhere else selling Kodi boxes that I'd have before christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

just noticed a 2nd page, so a Fire TV Stick is the best is it? Despite being fairly clued in tech-wise, these things are new to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Well worth watching this - http://openelec.tv/ for €53.99

If not least, for their forums and improvements.
    They were slow to start, but prove how important/valuable support is.

Whats the remote like for Kodi on the fire stick? For example, how do you bring up the context menu?

Works great.

31nH9NZScVL._SY300_.jpg2014-10-28-11_46_24-Fire-TV-Stick-Remote-Functions.png

Upper button on the right hand side marked menu.

I have pi2, is firestick better for kodi? or chromecast?

pi2 should run Kodi pretty well. Firestick does have the remote. Chromecast isn't capable of something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

podge018 wrote: »
    Deal seems to be finished.

Anybody recommend anywhere else selling Kodi boxes that I'd have before christmas.

amazon and ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I've been running with Raspberry Pi2 boxes - no issues with performance but the Fire stick is much better price if it had equal or better performance.

The firestick has everything in the box, but with the Pi2, even with the media bundle, you still have to add a remote (unless you have a CEC compatible TV) and MPG2 license.

Only downside to the firestick is lack of enternet port, and this is probably the deal breaker for me. Wireless works to a certain extent, but to get flawless, buffer free playback, I use wired connections using Powerline adapters around the house. Just can't rely in Wifi for HD streams unless right beside the access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Invincible

Allyall wrote: »

Showing as €89.99 for Wetek now.
    Was it €53.99 earlier?

• Advertisement

53.99 black friday special

53.99 black friday special
    That looks like a great deal. Should be able to get €25 for the tuner on ebay if you're not using it :)
    I've been running with Raspberry Pi2 boxes - no issues with performance but the Fire stick is much better price if it had equal or better performance.

The firestick has everything in the box, but with the Pi2, even with the media bundle, you still have to add a remote (unless you have a CEC compatible TV) and MPG2 license.

Only downside to the firestick is lack of enternet port, and this is probably the deal breaker for me. Wireless works to a certain extent, but to get flawless, buffer free playback, I use wired connections using Powerline adapters around the house. Just can't rely in Wifi for HD streams unless right beside the access point.

I have a pi2 running kodi with tv head end, CEC works great with our bravia tv but the lag between IR, CEC, pi2 while small is very noticable compared with the wireless firetv remote especially when scrolling lists.

I'm using OSMC now instead of OpenElec as it has support for more wifi and tv adapters out of the box.

Wifi throughput on my fire tv is better than the 200mbps, gigabit port, power line adapters I have and far in excess of anything I'd be streaming to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Allyall wrote: »

I've only just started looking into these Android boxes. It seems like KODI is the thing to have for all sorts.
    At the very least it turns a normal TV into a smart TV? Im sure there is more to it than that?
    I can understand that most of it is over the internet so can somone please explain why these boxes also have a tuner? Could these boxes give saorview?
    For FTA do you need a dish or do you get channels streamed over internet?
    Why the tuner then? It's a bit of a learning curve for us Newbies! Thanks
    (Also the wetek core seems to be getting great reviews even though it hasnt been released. what does the core give over the play?
    How do either compare to the AFTV box?)

JimiMac wrote: »
    I've only just started looking into these Android boxes. It seems like KODI is the thing to have for all sorts.
    At the very least it turns a normal TV into a smart TV? Im sure there is more to it than that?
    I can understand that most of it is over the internet so can somone please explain why these boxes also have a tuner? Could these boxes give saorview?
    For FTA do you need a dish or do you get channels streamed over internet?
    Why the tuner then? It's a bit of a learning curve for us Newbies! Thanks
    (Also the wetek core seems to be getting great reviews even though it hasnt been released. what does the core give over the play?
    How do either compare to the AFTV box?)

The regular to SMART TV is more so to do with APPS ( as opposed to KODI) which are loaded onto the box as you would load apps onto your phone. Its these apps such as Internet Explorer, facebook, skype etc that constitute a SMART TV.

There is no tuner. Video content is all streamed.

No Saorview.

No dish compatibility.

The post I quoted was referring to the link about the Wetek play which does have a tuner (?). That was why I was asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The regular to SMART TV is more so to do with APPS ( as opposed to KODI) which are loaded onto the box as you would load apps onto your phone. Its these apps such as Internet Explorer, facebook, skype etc that constitute a SMART TV.

There is no tuner. Video content is all streamed.

No Saorview.

No dish compatibility.
    Actually is there such a thing as an Android box that could do Saorview and Freesat if you gave it a dish and aeriel?

The post I quoted was referring to the link about the Wetek play which does have a tuner (?). That was why I was asking.
    Apologies, I just assumed you were following from, the OP, never even seen your link. Yep, the Wetek play basically combines an android box with either a SAT or Terr tuner.

Thargor wrote: »
    Actually is there such a thing as an Android box that could do Saorview and Freesat if you gave it a dish and aeriel?
    Well you won't get 2 out of your 3. No Freesat combo unfortunately, just FTA.

Does that mean if you had a dish and picked the one with the sat tuner you would receive all the satelite stations?
    I thought you could get most stations streamed so what would the tuner add?
    Would the Terr tuner be for people using an aerial?
    I get my tv through UPC so not sure what the added benefits are?

• Advertisement

Does that mean if you had a dish and picked the one with the sat tuner you would receive all the satelite stations?

I thought you could get most stations streamed so what would the tuner add?

Would the Terr tuner be for people using an aerial?

I get my tv through UPC so not sure what the added benefits are?

Yes.

You can get all stations streamed, if that's your thing. Personally, direct feed as opposed to streams are my preferred option.

Yes.

You could dump UPC TV, but you most likely are using them as your internet provider anyway.

Thargor wrote: »

Thangor, you could have a look at the Amiko A3 combo. Thats got FTA/TERR & Android. This is sure to be a very popular combo. Think its out there now for €150-160. Looks like a nice bit of kit and a genuine 'one box' solution. Only a matter of time before multiple sat tuners are available with integrated Terr & Android. It's a massive opportunity for manufacturers nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Well you won't get 2 out of your 3. No Freesat combo unfortunately, just FTA.

you could add a usb tuner for terrestrial on that wetek

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

Hi lads, just jumping on this thread for a bit of advice, I need to get my sister something for streaming TV (more than likely kodi), she's abroad and I'd given her my old android box which has now given up the ghost. Budget of between €100-€150, I'd be comfortable enough setting it up myself if required, I think 2gb Ram 16gb ROM and lollipop would be best for longevity, and recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

For €150 I'd probably get a tablet with HDMI out so you can have added functionality without needing a telly all the time.
    €150 is way too much for an android streaming box.

Hudl 2 would be my recommendation if you can get your hands on it - http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

It seems that you can't buy one of these anymore.

d31b0y wrote: »
    For €150 I'd probably get a tablet with HDMI out so you can have added functionality without needing a telly all the time.
    €150 is way too much for an android streaming box.

Hudl 2 would be my recommendation if you can get your hands on it - http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

It's not just an android streaming box. It's much more than that. And a HUDL2 ? Well, you're not exactly comparing apples with apples now are you ?

The majority of folks want a solution that is permanently integrated to their TV and with a USB keyboard, it's a world away from a tablet connected via HDMi.
    oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just jumping on this thread for a bit of advice, I need to get my sister something for streaming TV (more than likely kodi), she's abroad and I'd given her my old android box which has now given up the ghost. Budget of between €100-€150, I'd be comfortable enough setting it up myself if required, I think 2gb Ram 16gb ROM and lollipop would be best for longevity, and recommendations?
    2GB/16GB is overkill for what you want. Just get a 2GB/8GB MXIII from aliexpress. Add a wireless keyboard and you'll get out for half of your budget.

• Advertisement

My main point was €150 is way to much to spend on one of these. If I was intent on spending €150, I'd prefer the extra functionality.
    The two are hardly a million miles away from being the same now are they?The only real difference is a tablet has a screen. Maybe I compared green apples with red apples.

Also, what is it, if not an android streaming box (even the title says "Kodi Android TV Streaming Box")? It's an android box that will be used primarily for streaming.

d31b0y wrote: »
    My main point was €150 is way to much to spend on one of these. If I was intent on spending €150, I'd prefer the extra functionality.
    The two are hardly a million miles away from being the same now are they?The only real difference is a tablet has a screen. Maybe I compared green apples with red apples.

Also, what is it, if not an android streaming box (even the title says "Kodi Android TV Streaming Box")? It's an android box that will be used primarily for streaming.
    Ah FFS, will you give over. The OP links to a box that at time of posting was €50. It was pointed out earlier in the thread that these are readily available for €30 (€40 if you're nabbed for duty ), albeit with a 4week wait for delivery. Then the thread digressed and people were asking for a trur FTA / Saorview / Android one box solution - totally different product to the OP link; hence the €150 recommendation for the Amiko. And then along comes the HUDL. Nowhere near the same product as the green apple. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

Where's the anger coming from? I was only ever comparing the original device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ethernet and usb would be two big advantages of a streaming box. Probably more processing power and better heat dissipation. It has a lot of advantages over a tablet for me anyway.

Fair point beauf. Ethernet is definitely a big bonus and, admittedly, not something that came to my mind when I suggested a tablet. I'd be doubtful of it having more processing power but even if it did, that's not so big a problem. As long as the device is able to play 1080p content then you are laughing.

Personally, I would go for a device that doesn't move around. I have a Pi2 myself. I just wanted to give oodles something else to think about :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement