Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

No. I just use it to power the firestick. It comes with a wall plug also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Do-more wrote: »
    Anyone using a Nexus player for Kodi?

How does it compare to the AFT?

It's alot more expensive anyhow. I haven't heard of anyone getting one. I think the AFTV pricing killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

groom wrote: »
    It's alot more expensive anyhow. I haven't heard of anyone getting one. I think the AFTV pricing killed it.

?? Amazon Fire TV is £80 + PM so about €115-€120 all in vs. Nexus Player at €99.

According to this post on the Kodi forum the Nexus is a better choice than the AFTV, but says that the Wetek Core is better than either (but it is £120 and not on sale yet).

The AFTV is discounted by 25% for Black Friday in the US so will probably get the same size of discount in the UK leaving it at £59.99 + PM so around €90.

Will do some more research and wait to see if Google offer any Black Friday deal on the Nexus Player.

[Edit] Nexus Player is now £59.99 in Argos UK

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

?? Amazon Fire TV is £80 + PM so about €115-€120 all in vs. Nexus Player at €99.

According to this post on the Kodi forum the Nexus is a better choice than the AFTV, but says that the Wetek Core is better than either (but it is £120 and not on sale yet).

The AFTV is discounted by 25% for Black Friday in the US so will probably get the same size of discount in the UK leaving it at £59.99 + PM so around €90.

Will do some more research and wait to see if Google offer any Black Friday deal on the Nexus Player.

[Edit] Nexus Player is now £59.99 in Argos UK

One of the issues with the Nexus Player is it doesn't have an Ethernet port I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

One of the issues with the Nexus Player is it doesn't have an Ethernet port I think

This one works with it apparently (as do others) and you'd be wanting a hub anyway with just one microusb port. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0116UIMGG

For kodi theres not much in it but as an android device

The nexus player has root, recovery, cyanogenmod, lollipop, marshmallow available, should have a very long support life in the community.
    Doesn't have iplayer, all4, itv player etc. and lots of other drm based apps.

New fire tv requires hardware root, app store is a joke, it has iplayer but no all4, no itv player like the nexus player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

brightkane wrote: »
    I don't have a prime sub. I just use it for kodi (and all that it brings) and Netflix. Nothing else . Remote is a beaut to use imo.

I don't fully understand Kodi or some of these other devices. Sorry for the stupid question, but my son uses showbox on his Samsung Galaxy. If I get the Amazon Fire stick, and don't use prime, can I get shoebox to work on it, either on its own or through Kodi or something like that? If so, is it as simple as just downloading the shoebox app or would I have to modify files etc??.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

I don't fully understand Kodi or some of these other devices. Sorry for the stupid question, but my son uses shoebox on his Samsung Galaxy. If I get the Amazon Fire stick, and don't use prime, can I get shoebox to work on it, either on its own or through Kodi or something like that? If so, is it as simple as just downloading the shoebox app or would I have to modify files etc??.

Thanks in advance

Shoebox. Lol:D

On a serious note, yes, it's easy. Here's s simple tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPA_ocpPvjk

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

dodzy wrote: »
    Shoebox. Lol:D

On a serious note, yes, it's easy. Here's s simple tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPA_ocpPvjk

Damn predictive text and spellchecker, just fixed that thanks.
    Also, thanks for the link, ordered a box since it seems easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Does anyone here know: will having a business VPN affect Kodi? I hope to get my gf an MX because the business VPN stopped her Chromecast from working (she works from home)

Hope you can help thanks!

True. Ture.

When they were first released and the AFTV briefly was £49 (back when £49 was < €60) I might've had a point.

At the same time the Nexus is more comparable to the AFTV Stick as they both lack Ethernet.
    I think it does come down to whether you want to use it for more than XBMC in which case the Nexus would be more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I have pi2 and fire tv stick. If its just for kodi then I think the fire tv stick is better. Especially as by the time you've got a decent wifi adapter, decent power supply, decent sd card the pi2 is more expensive than the fire tv and with the fire tv stick you get the lovely wireless remote.

Whats the remote like for Kodi on the fire stick? For example, how do you bring up the context menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I have pi2, is firestick better for kodi? or chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Deal seems to be finished.

Anybody recommend anywhere else selling Kodi boxes that I'd have before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

just noticed a 2nd page, so a Fire TV Stick is the best is it? Despite being fairly clued in tech-wise, these things are new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Well worth watching this - http://openelec.tv/ for €53.99

If not least, for their forums and improvements.
    They were slow to start, but prove how important/valuable support is.

Whats the remote like for Kodi on the fire stick? For example, how do you bring up the context menu?

Works great.

31nH9NZScVL._SY300_.jpg2014-10-28-11_46_24-Fire-TV-Stick-Remote-Functions.png

Upper button on the right hand side marked menu.

I have pi2, is firestick better for kodi? or chromecast?

pi2 should run Kodi pretty well. Firestick does have the remote. Chromecast isn't capable of something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

podge018 wrote: »
    Deal seems to be finished.

Anybody recommend anywhere else selling Kodi boxes that I'd have before christmas.

amazon and ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I've been running with Raspberry Pi2 boxes - no issues with performance but the Fire stick is much better price if it had equal or better performance.

The firestick has everything in the box, but with the Pi2, even with the media bundle, you still have to add a remote (unless you have a CEC compatible TV) and MPG2 license.

Only downside to the firestick is lack of enternet port, and this is probably the deal breaker for me. Wireless works to a certain extent, but to get flawless, buffer free playback, I use wired connections using Powerline adapters around the house. Just can't rely in Wifi for HD streams unless right beside the access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Allyall wrote: »

Showing as €89.99 for Wetek now.
    Was it €53.99 earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

53.99 black friday special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

stanley1 wrote: »
    53.99 black friday special
    That looks like a great deal. Should be able to get €25 for the tuner on ebay if you're not using it :)
    I've been running with Raspberry Pi2 boxes - no issues with performance but the Fire stick is much better price if it had equal or better performance.

The firestick has everything in the box, but with the Pi2, even with the media bundle, you still have to add a remote (unless you have a CEC compatible TV) and MPG2 license.

Only downside to the firestick is lack of enternet port, and this is probably the deal breaker for me. Wireless works to a certain extent, but to get flawless, buffer free playback, I use wired connections using Powerline adapters around the house. Just can't rely in Wifi for HD streams unless right beside the access point.

I have a pi2 running kodi with tv head end, CEC works great with our bravia tv but the lag between IR, CEC, pi2 while small is very noticable compared with the wireless firetv remote especially when scrolling lists.

I'm using OSMC now instead of OpenElec as it has support for more wifi and tv adapters out of the box.

Wifi throughput on my fire tv is better than the 200mbps, gigabit port, power line adapters I have and far in excess of anything I'd be streaming to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Allyall wrote: »

I've only just started looking into these Android boxes. It seems like KODI is the thing to have for all sorts.
    At the very least it turns a normal TV into a smart TV? Im sure there is more to it than that?
    I can understand that most of it is over the internet so can somone please explain why these boxes also have a tuner? Could these boxes give saorview?
    For FTA do you need a dish or do you get channels streamed over internet?
    Why the tuner then? It's a bit of a learning curve for us Newbies! Thanks
    (Also the wetek core seems to be getting great reviews even though it hasnt been released. what does the core give over the play?
    How do either compare to the AFTV box?)

JimiMac wrote: »
    I've only just started looking into these Android boxes. It seems like KODI is the thing to have for all sorts.
    At the very least it turns a normal TV into a smart TV? Im sure there is more to it than that?
    I can understand that most of it is over the internet so can somone please explain why these boxes also have a tuner? Could these boxes give saorview?
    For FTA do you need a dish or do you get channels streamed over internet?
    Why the tuner then? It's a bit of a learning curve for us Newbies! Thanks
    (Also the wetek core seems to be getting great reviews even though it hasnt been released. what does the core give over the play?
    How do either compare to the AFTV box?)

The regular to SMART TV is more so to do with APPS ( as opposed to KODI) which are loaded onto the box as you would load apps onto your phone. Its these apps such as Internet Explorer, facebook, skype etc that constitute a SMART TV.

There is no tuner. Video content is all streamed.

No Saorview.

No dish compatibility.

The post I quoted was referring to the link about the Wetek play which does have a tuner (?). That was why I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dodzy wrote: »
    The regular to SMART TV is more so to do with APPS ( as opposed to KODI) which are loaded onto the box as you would load apps onto your phone. Its these apps such as Internet Explorer, facebook, skype etc that constitute a SMART TV.

There is no tuner. Video content is all streamed.

No Saorview.

No dish compatibility.
    Actually is there such a thing as an Android box that could do Saorview and Freesat if you gave it a dish and aeriel?

The post I quoted was referring to the link about the Wetek play which does have a tuner (?). That was why I was asking.
    Apologies, I just assumed you were following from, the OP, never even seen your link. Yep, the Wetek play basically combines an android box with either a SAT or Terr tuner.

Thargor wrote: »
    Actually is there such a thing as an Android box that could do Saorview and Freesat if you gave it a dish and aeriel?
    Well you won't get 2 out of your 3. No Freesat combo unfortunately, just FTA.

Does that mean if you had a dish and picked the one with the sat tuner you would receive all the satelite stations?
    I thought you could get most stations streamed so what would the tuner add?
    Would the Terr tuner be for people using an aerial?
    I get my tv through UPC so not sure what the added benefits are?

• Advertisement

Does that mean if you had a dish and picked the one with the sat tuner you would receive all the satelite stations?

I thought you could get most stations streamed so what would the tuner add?

Would the Terr tuner be for people using an aerial?

I get my tv through UPC so not sure what the added benefits are?

Yes.

You can get all stations streamed, if that's your thing. Personally, direct feed as opposed to streams are my preferred option.

Yes.

You could dump UPC TV, but you most likely are using them as your internet provider anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement