Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm just back from a weekend in London - I got a return ticket on the normal train (about an hour trip) from Gatwick to Victoria, it cost £30. I had checked it online the night before and it would have cost £25, but I'm a real last-minute merchant and decided to wing it. That cost me a fiver. You can check ticket prices here http://www.thetrainline.com/ Train tickets in the UK seem to be a bit of a dark art, I've no idea how you go about finding the cheapest, but advance buying seems to pay off.

For getting around London, get an Oyster card. You pay a fiver for it, and can get that back when you give it back - but I've just held on to mine and have it for the next time I go to London. You just zap onto buses and the underground, and it's capped per day (I think it's about £8, but open to correction on that) and it's cheaper than paying for each ticket individually. You can top it up at machines in all tube stations.

I'm afraid I have no idea on child fares.

ETA You could also get the National Express coach from Gatwick to Victoria which would be a fair bit cheaper I'm guessing, and they advertise a 1hr5minute journey......

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

Could I ask for guidance re tax? My son spent 8 months in London ON EMERGENCY TAX .... could kill him for being disorganised! He got a rather unexpected job offer at home and has returned to Dublin. He wasn't given a P45 by his employer, they said they would send it out in the post at the end of the month and he hopes to get that in the coming days. Does he need this to reclaim his tax and how does he go about doing that? I know its a bit pathetic that I'm posting on this but the so n so owes me money and I'm determined he recoup what he's owed to repay me. He worked with the one company for 8 months. Thanks for any guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

chancer12 wrote: »
    Could I ask for guidance re tax? My son spent 8 months in London ON EMERGENCY TAX .... could kill him for being disorganised! He got a rather unexpected job offer at home and has returned to Dublin. He wasn't given a P45 by his employer, they said they would send it out in the post at the end of the month and he hopes to get that in the coming days. Does he need this to reclaim his tax and how does he go about doing that? I know its a bit pathetic that I'm posting on this but the so n so owes me money and I'm determined he recoup what he's owed to repay me. He worked with the one company for 8 months. Thanks for any guidance

Did he resolve his tax code in the UK prior to his departure or was he still on emergency basis when he left?

Usually when you arrive in or leave the UK during a tax year to live abroad indefinitely, you are entitled to a full year's tax free allowances. However, it seems your son is unlikely to have met the requirements for this as he ahs arrived and left in the same tax year. On that basis, I think he is entitled only to a pro rated tax free allowance and bands for the period. If he was still on emergency basis, he will likely have some refund; if they had regularised the position before he left, he is unlikely to be due any money back. He will need ot wait to received the P45 and then, most likely, use that to file a tax return.

His position in Ireland is a bit of a muddle too in that he will likely remain resident for 2013 and 2014 meaning that his UK income will be subject to Irish tax with a credit for any UK tax paid. Split year treatment in Ireland is unlikely for the same reason as the UK.

Sorry not to be able to give you a clear unambiguous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

MarcusM, thanks so much for that. He was still on emergency when he left and is waiting for the company to forward his P45. Gosh, its a bit of a muddle. I didn't realise his UK earnings would impact on his Irish earnings. I thought he'd just recoup anything due from there and start afresh here, shows how much I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. I would appreciate any info / advice you can give. Myself, the good lady and boys 12 & 8 will shortly visit central London for 5 days (apartment booked). What would you suggest we visit that the boys would enjoy? What should we do about transport in London (flying into Heathrow) and what should we do re prior booking to avoid queues and reduce costs? Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Legoland , Big Ben , Buckingham palace ...There's no shortage of things to see.For Transport ,walk ,underground , taxis ,bus , really depends on journey lenght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

HMS Belfast may be to the lads liking...

http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/hms-belfast/life-at-war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Museum Row is a good bet. Within two minutes walk, you have the amazing science museum, the incredible natural history museum and the Victoria & Albert museum. I have amazing childhood memories of the first two spots alone.

Heathrow's a pain, but if you're not pressed for time, get the tube in and get a day pass if you plan to dump bags and go places. I think there's a multiple tourist travel pass, which would definitely be worth it, otherwise use day travel passes, they pay for themselves after about 2 tube rides.

The London Dungeon is great fun - more a theme park kinda thing, but it's very popular, and it brings a fun macabre twist to the magic of the Tower of London.

Kew Gardens might be boring for them, but the Zoo might be something they'd like. I don't know if they like tall ships, but the Cutty Sark in Greenwich might be worth a shot.

They're just a few things that come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

+1 on the museums. The natural history museum is fantastic, one of my favourites in London and totally suitable for kids too, same with the science museum, lots of interactive bits and bobs (all free as well!).

The aquarium, the London Eye and Madame Tussuads would be good shouts too. Very expensive but you can buy combo passes online which reduces the price considerably and also allows you to skip queues. I also saw in another thread that with certain travel passes you can get 2 for 1 deals on these attractions.

If you get a good day a Thames cruise from Westminster to Greenwich is really nice and pretty cheap. In fact if it's your first time in London I'd recommend getting tickets for the original bus tour: http://www.theoriginaltour.com/
    This includes an all day river cruise ticket also and you could do most of the main route and get on the boat at tower of London to Greenwich and get it back to Westminster later.

A day trip to Thorpe Park might be worth considering although I would highly recommend getting a fast pass to get the most of the day unless you want to spend most the day queuing (again very expensive but there's no point going without one in my opinion).

The BFI IMAX is very cool if you want to catch a film in the evening. It's far more expensive then a regular cinema but the screen is just gigantic and it really makes for an incredible movie experience. Much much larger then any screen in Ireland including the cineworld IMAX.

There really is a huge amount of things to do and attractions to see in London that you'll never see everything in 5 days so best just to pick you things you think you and the family will enjoy most (and can afford of course!).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ninap

If they're Harry Potter fans the Harry Potter studio experience in Watford is excellent. Not cheap, but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oyster cards for the tube and comfortable shoes.

It's a brilliant city OP...so much to see and do...museums, harrods, markets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Oyster cards for the tube and comfortable shoes.

It's a brilliant city OP...so much to see and do...museums, harrods, markets etc

Markets are something that I never seem to be there for at the right time .Is there any you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

scwazrh wrote: »
    [/B]

Markets are something that I never seem to be there for at the right time .Is there any you would recommend?

The one in Camden is the big obvious one, think its on every weekend possibly more often. Really big, stalls everywhere with food, t-shirts, and just general random stuff. Definitely worth spending some time there.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. I would appreciate any info / advice you can give. Myself, the good lady and boys 12 & 8 will shortly visit central London for 5 days (apartment booked). What would you suggest we visit that the boys would enjoy? What should we do about transport in London (flying into Heathrow) and what should we do re prior booking to avoid queues and reduce costs? Thanks in advance!

Make sure you get an oyster card for you and the wife kids are free. There is a limit on amount that is taken off per day and you can use buses trains and DLR for all the time without having to worry about getting tickets all the time. Excellent way to get around london and works for LHR where you can get it at the station there.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If they are into sport, the Wembley stadium tour is good fun, and the Emirates one is pretty good too. Should be about £15-20 each.

Camden Market is open every day, Sunday is by far the busiest day of the week though so not the best day to go - also Camden Town station becomes exit-only all afternoon so it can make getting out of there a little more complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The aquarium and London eye are very good, then, if they're into skateboards, a walk along the south bank takes you past the skate park, which is something kids seem to like. You can walk all the way along to St Paul's, which I think is fantastic. The Tate modern is on the way, which is free and gives you the chance to engage in some whatthehellisthatallaboutery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The British Museum is amazing - i thought the Natural history Museum was poor - many exhibitions were unfinished and it just felt sloppy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Parchment wrote: »
    The British Museum is amazing - i thought the Natural history Museum was poor - many exhibitions were unfinished and it just felt sloppy to me.

I know, none of the dinosaurs are finished, they just look like skeletons!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cf10

Hi All,

I've just accepted my first real job as a grown up in an office in Hammersmith, London. Obviously, I'm over the moon but I'm finding it really hard to judge which area i should live in.

Hammersmith is miles out of my price range so I'm looking for somewhere a bit more reasonable, but not too far out?

I was just wondering if ANYONE knew ANYTHING about living in West London houseshares with similar people (professional, graduates I'mm 22 etc)

Thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Flying into Gatwick next month. Just wondering whether I should book a Southern or FCC train before I go or will it be the same price from the station? Also, can I get an off-peak ticket for the tube with this ticket? Will I have to ask for this at the counter or can I get it from a ticket machine? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Flying into Gatwick next month. Just wondering whether I should book a Southern or FCC train before I go or will it be the same price from the station? Also, can I get an off-peak ticket for the tube with this ticket? Will I have to ask for this at the counter or can I get it from a ticket machine? Thanks :)

I don't know which is cheaper, but a couple of weeks ago, I was able to get Southern ticket, off-peak, it also included a 1-day travel card (underground + buses) for zones 1 -6, for £15.80.
    I got this from a ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nina2

Make sure you get an oyster card for you and the wife kids are free. There is a limit on amount that is taken off per day and you can use buses trains and DLR for all the time without having to worry about getting tickets all the time. Excellent way to get around london and works for LHR where you can get it at the station there.
    How does this work thinking of going in May 2 Adults, 3 kids and if someone can tell me is it better to fly into Stansted or Luton also want to fit in Harry Potter Studios during a 4 day visit.
    Any recommendations on where to stay that will cater for 5 on a medium budget.
    London pass what is that all about?
    A lot of questions but thank you for any replies....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

scwazrh wrote: »
    [/B]

Spitalfields is good one and open all year round

http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Just to remind people if they're heading to London that there are tube strikes planned the next couple of weekends see below:

London Tube workers, including station staff and train operators, are set to stage a 48-hour strike starting 21.00 28 April. The action will be followed by a second, three-day strike from 21.00 5 May until 21.00 8 May.

The strikes are expected to cause severe delays throughout the London Underground, especially during rush hour. Congestion throughout central London is also expected, as commuters use alternative forms of transport.

Travellers are advised to leave plenty of time to reach their destination and plan alternative routes where necessary.

For the latest travel information regarding the strikes, please visit tfl.gov.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Nina2 wrote: »
    How does this work thinking of going in May 2 Adults, 3 kids and if someone can tell me is it better to fly into Stansted or Luton also want to fit in Harry Potter Studios during a 4 day visit.
    Any recommendations on where to stay that will cater for 5 on a medium budget.
    London pass what is that all about?
    A lot of questions but thank you for any replies....

Hi Nina

Trying to plan something similar for July HP and Lego Windsor etc.

Had u any luck in getting advice on iteniary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the Greenwich Museum and all the other bits around it?

I'm heading to London for a weekend in March, and would love to see this - but have no idea if it would occupy an hour, half a day, or an entire weekend :confused:

There seems to be absolutely loads to see - and I'm an avid sailor and fan of all of things seafaring/maritime so I suspect I'd like to see it all - so anyone who's actually been there, I'd love to hear about it.

I'll really only have the Saturday to see it - will I fit it all into one day?

Just said I'd get back to all who responded to this query, and say a big thanks! I had a great day at Greenwich, thoroughly enjoyable.

For anyone who's interested in doing it, there are "tourist boats" from Westminster Pier and there's a river taxi from Embankment Pier or beside the London Eye. The taxi wasn't a whole pile cheaper, but I don't think you could get off the tourist boat, whereas you could on the taxi with a day roaming ticket. At the last minute I discovered that (with one boat change) you could go as far as Woolwich which is through the Thames Barrier. It's some sight!

I did so much faffing around with Boris Bikes and the barrier and boat changing that I didn't get to Greenwich till after 2, so didn't see a whole pile at the observatory. But I went to the Cutty Sark, which was REALLY good. Didn't even get inside the door of the Maritime Museum, it just looked too big for the time I had.

It's a great day out, especially if you're more organised than I was and get there early.

Thanks again for all the info everyone gave me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

hi, looking for cheapish accommodation for 12 lads for stag near Wembley or Kings cross area.... Borough of Brent I'm told, for May... prices unreal for main hotels.... any advice please... any hostel or hotel name please or what would you recommend as the nearest borough/area please to Wembley?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Crown in Cricklewood.

Just around the corner from trains to Kings X and a short distance from Kilburn Tube Station for the Jubilee line to Wembley Park.

Both places about 20 minutes away without waits for trains. Also has direct Night Buses to the West End from outside the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the premier inns... have stayed in them before and they are fab... have booked one at wemblery stadium for 4 nights in september for two people and only costing E250 for both of us.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Hi. Hoping to go for a day trip over to London in a few weeks. Flying in and out of Stansted. I'd be grateful for any advice on which of the different buses is the chepest if you just walk up and buy a ticket on the day when you arrive. (I have seen they all have great web / advance booking fares on-line but I don't want to risk buying a ticket on-line and then have the flight come in late and I'd miss the bus i'd booked).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement