Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black growth on top of dogs leg

Options
  • 19-05-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi i just noticed a black growth out of the top of my dogs leg/chest area. It kind of looks like those things that get stuck on dogs fur if they run through ditches and that but its not its a growth from the skin. A black bubbly bud kind of thing. Anyone seen this before on their dog? Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

hi OP,

Its hard to judge exactly what it may be from the description above, but maybe if you can take a pic and post it up, we may be able to giv sum suggestions..

But if i were you and i had found a suspicous looking growth i wasnt sure of, the first thing id do is ring the vet and get it checked out.. No-one will be able to tell you a more clearer answer than them..

Best of luck.. Hope its nothing seriours..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above its hard to explain/help without a picture, but one thing that springs to mind because of a recent, similar, event. A friend's dog was running around the yard the other when i was visiting. Noticed a small (about 6mm) very dark grey/black "growth" on his chest. He said it just appeared a few days ago, and that he never noticed.

Turns out it was a tick. I removed it for him and then told him to bring the dog to the vet for a full check up and any necessary treatment/medication.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aliskippy

Thanks for your replys.. I only noticed it late last night and have to work today but will upload a picture when i get home and i am definately taking him to the vet first thing in the morning.. i hope its nothing serious but a growth like that can not be too good either

eridax i just googled Tick in images and it looks very like that.. i also bring him up the mountains a lot.. should that need to be removed immediately or would 2moro be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should bring him to a vet to get that removed properly. An improperly removed tick can cause all sorts of nasty skin infections on a dog, cat or a person!

There's a bit of a knack in removing them, so it really has to be done professionally.

It would also be important to get him checked out in case it's anything more serious and not a just a tick.

• Advertisement

would he need to be taken to the vet immediately??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

aliskippy wrote: »
    would he need to be taken to the vet immediately??

Well, it's unlikely to be immediately life-threatening but I wouldn't hang around too long. It's not likely to be very pleasant or comfortable and he could scratch / bite at it and do a lot of damage.

From what you have described, it *might* be ticks, but we don't know. This is only an internet forum and really, a vet would need to see the dog to figure out what is going on.

It's most likely a tick but it could be anything from skin allergy, some kind of fungal / other infection, to symptoms of a disease or even skin cancer.

I'd say the sooner it's diagnosed properly and sorted out the better!

If it were me, I wouldn't hang around too long before heading to the vet though.

ok thanks!! i will let ye now what it was and how he gets on

hi OP,

(IMO) id ring the vets number and just ask for what they would reccomend..?

As said above it would be best removed professionaly as they can cause alot of distress if not removed correctly.. infections etc if part of the tick is still within the skin. and they are tricky buggers to get out.. not for the faint hearted..

best of luck. :)

Oh i will def get the vet to do it !! thanks guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Yep it sounds like a tick.
    Remove it yourself,just make sure you get it right at the head.

Honestly I think going to the vet is being very very over cautious.farm dogs get these all the time as does my dog,just pull them off.if it's still irritating the dog after it's removed then bring him to the vet.

People are really over exaggerating the problem this might cause

I do understand what you are sayin about ticks and farm dogs an yes i myself have often pulled out ticks from my own dogs in the past,

but i I wouldnt say we are over exaggerating the problem. id say we are helping with "suggesting" what is best for the health of the dog an the mind of the OP.

For 1. we dont know exactly what it may be, so we cant base judgement on wat precaution to take.. as the OP is not sure either. There has been no pics posted to say it is a tick to prove otherwise.

Its an opinon based on the health of the dog.. For something we are not sure of id rather guide someone to a vet rather than get them to pull out an unknown object from the dog incase it was otherwise life threating.. i.e cancer cell build up etc..

so on the error side of caution id reccommend a vet.. jus my opinion not anything else..

At the end of the day its up to you OP to make that call based on ur opinoin..

Thanks guys im bringing him into the vet this evening so I will let ye know what it is and what they say!

aliskippy wrote: »
    eridax i just googled Tick in images and it looks very like that.. i also bring him up the mountains a lot.. should that need to be removed immediately or would 2moro be ok?

Its not life threatening, but should be removed as soon as is possible.
    Solair wrote: »
    You should bring him to a vet to get that removed properly. An improperly removed tick can cause all sorts of nasty skin infections on a dog, cat or a person!

There's a bit of a knack in removing them, so it really has to be done professionally.

It would also be important to get him checked out in case it's anything more serious and not a just a tick.

+1 to all that. People that try it themselves have a tendancy to just pull out a tick. This is the worst thing to do. You need to "pinch" the skin around the tick and slightly pull it up. Then use a tweezers to pull it out. Thing is you cannot yank it out. It needs to be a slow steady pull. If you pull off the body and leave the head, which is a "defence" mechanism of ticks, its the head that contains the venom/poison/what its called and it will continue to inject it into your dog.
    kennyw wrote: »
    For something we are not sure of id rather guide someone to a vet rather than get them to pull out an unknown object from the dog incase it was otherwise life threating.. i.e cancer cell build up etc....

Have to say i'd agree with this also. If it is a tick then later this evening or even tomorrow will be no harm to the dog. The medication from the vet will sort that. If you have never removed a tick, if indeed that is what ot is, then i would suggest letting the vet do it. If its not a tick then as said above you are best not to go pulling at anything.

I've seen enough from wroking dogs, etc to know what they are and how best to remove them. When in doubt - check it out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »

I've seen enough from wroking dogs, etc.

sorry for going off Op question, but you mention above you work dogs, i may have misunderstood you, but do you work with or handle dogs regularly.? If so what type of work do you do with them..?

Im just intrested in finding out info on working dogs, and im keen to learn as much as possible. :)

cheers.. :)

I do not train or work with professional dogs such as seeing eye, police, show dogs, etc. Its more shooting related, however out of respect for the forum i do not think i will go into more detail.

No offense to yourself or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Could be its head??

No problem at all.. theres a time an place for everythin says you.. :)

no offense taken. (",)

Hi Guys, when i got home from work thurs evening the tick had fallen off my dog but i brought him into vet anyway just for a check.. he's ok again it turns out that it was a tick.. Thanks Eridax

Sorry for the late reply.

Glad to hear you got sorted. For furture reference ticks sit atop of long grass and wait for an animal to pass by before latching on. You say you run the dog from time to time up the mountains. May i suggest each time you bring him/her home that you check him/her all over.

Also be wary yourself. Its not very common but they can survive on humans and cause all sorts of illnesses such as lyme's disease, etc.

Again glad to hear you got sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement