Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In an attempt to address MOH's comment regarding Stage Updating,I'll give my own experiences.

The main reason for it happening so often is startingly simple.

STAGES ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MARKED ONSTREET.

The simple expedient of re-applying the stage marking which were comprehensively removed nearly a decade ago would solve the vast majority of the problem.

Why any Company purporting to utilize a Fare-Stage based system decided to remove the Stage Markings remains a total mystery,but remove them they did,with great dedication and perseverance.

This low-tech regressive act resulted in Customers & Staff alike being pitted against each other in an arcane test of route and stop knowledge that has lasted the decade since.

Why...?.....I have no idea,however it pre-dates the NTA so they can push their chests out and tut-tut to infinity.

Following the Stage Marking removal,it was then down to individual drivers (and customers) dedication and route knowledge as to where individual stages were located.

The simplicity of updating the Stages,is perversely,one of the reasons for it occuring so often...It is,by far,the easiest element of Ticket Machine Operation to forget in the heat of a driving day/night.
    Added to this is the fact that the stage number is the same size as the remainder of the numbers which appear on the TIM Screen,which makes it less easy for a driver to spot the error until too late.

Making the Stage Number a larger size and placing it centrally on the TIM screen would have added to its conspicuity,but that never occured either.

All of the above is,of course,easier to deal with when one is paying cash and can check their ticket immediately by reading the printed information (IF you get a wrongly staged ticket,SHOW It to the Driver IMMEDIATELY,as it must be annuled before the following customer is ticketed)

Leapcard's present a slightly different case,as the ONLY method the customer has of checking is the TIM display which is quite momentary,so a sharp lookout is required.

If a Leapcard user does spot a misfare,then the transaction can be annulled within a two-minute window.(Irrespective of folowing transactions).

The good news is that in early 2015,Automatic Stage Updating (via GPS) will be implemented,thus ending over a decade of undesirable uncertainty and avoidable unpleasantness...;)

Meanwhile,it is worthwhile taking the time to check out the Fare Calculator Tab on www.dublinbus.ie, ,currently the ONLY place one can cross reference the Stage Number with the actual Bus-Stop Number (Be warned however,some discrepancies may still be found :eek:)

Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    You're not telling me that in order for the information on ticket machines to be correct, the driver must MANUALLY input his location at every stage? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JayRoc wrote: »
    Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    You're not telling me that in order for the information on ticket machines to be correct, the driver must MANUALLY input his location at every stage? Seriously?

Yes they have to be updated manually despite all the modern technology available that could otherwise be used.

Not only that but there are no visible markers on the roads / stops as to where they should be updated and rely on driver route knowledge and memory. Stops used to display stages but these were systematically removed over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

In an attempt to address MOH's comment regarding Stage Updating,I'll give my own experiences.

The main reason for it happening so often is startingly simple.

STAGES ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MARKED ONSTREET.

The simple expedient of re-applying the stage marking which were comprehensively removed nearly a decade ago would solve the vast majority of the problem.

Why any Company purporting to utilize a Fare-Stage based system decided to remove the Stage Markings remains a total mystery,but remove them they did,with great dedication and perseverance.

This is very interesting.

So, theoretically, if one was challenged by an inspector for staying four stages on a 1-3 stage ticket, would one really be liable for a fine? Particularly on a leap cards where the destination is displayed on a hard-to-read screen for a few seconds.

One could very easily make the point that you stated your destination, and were charged for a 1-3 stage journey. Given that there are close to zero ways for a passenger to know anything about the stage system and correct a driver error, can a passenger ever be in the wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Bray Head wrote: »

So, theoretically, if one was challenged by an inspector for staying four stages on a 1-3 stage ticket, would one really be liable for a fine? Particularly on a leap cards where the destination is displayed on a hard-to-read screen for a few seconds.

One could very easily make the point that you stated your destination, and were charged for a 1-3 stage journey. Given that there are close to zero ways for a passenger to know anything about the stage system and correct a driver error, can a passenger ever be in the wrong?

You could use the fare calculator on the Dublin bus app/website, however it is often wrong as well, as it lists stages differently to the ticket machine, different name, wrong location etc. Basically DB are not 100% sure where all their stages are, some are named after a pub or shop that existed 20,30,40,50 who knows how many years ago, that most people dont know ever existed never mind where it was.
    The DB fare calculator was designed by someone who didn't understand the basics of how the stage fare system works. So it has mistakes all over it like giving different fares for the same journey in different directions and not being able to take account of "phantom" stages ( ie stages without stops).

But yes DB probably would not have a leg to stand on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

MOH wrote: »
    No, actually, none of those answers are satisfactory explanations for why I've stood with other passengers at rush hour going to work while buses failed to stop with no more two or three passengers standing. I will concede that sometime we fail to all hide our collective beer in time and this may be a factor. And I admit it is possible I have caused problems on a bus before by pointing out to a driver that his ticket machine is incorrectly set, which is obviously such a rare event as to have a passenger blacklisted for life.

Thank you so much. You've finally actually answered a question. I was uncertain as to whether a driver keys a destination code into the ticket machine and the machine decides the fare, or it's based on the driver's knowledge. I'm genuinely relieved to know that the driver determines the fare, and my fellow passengers are not being overcharged.

It actually makes no difference to me, since I just state the correct fare and pay that rather than a destination. I realise this is against standard Dublin Bus practice, but it has become a habit, which I apologise for. Perhaps this minor act of rebellion partly explains why I've been left standing at the stop by "full" buses. I should probably stand at a stop on my own to avoid dragging other passengers down with me.

As to your other question, if I'm overcharged in the supermarket I would usually go back and take advantage of Tesco's "double the difference" guarantee. Unfortunately, it's never happened to me, so my net gain there is zero.
    I have occasionally pointed out to drivers that their machines are incorrectly set. While their response has been generally positive, it takes me a while to get going in the morning and I frequently forget to check. For this I bear full responsibility. I also dislike confrontation and, especially if the stop is busy, I am reluctant to delay boarding further by arguing over my ticket. I feel most drivers appreciate this, as the delay due to the time it takes for the ticket machine to switch over to Leap mode is bad enough for all parties concerned, without some idiot passenger moaning about incorrect stage settings.

I apologise for my spinelessness. I will in future refuse to be a victim. If I am ever again faced with a choice between quietly paying the correct fare or refusing to let the bus move until the ticket machine has been corrected, and all previous passengers have been issued correct tickets, I hereby resolve to do the right thing, even if I lack Dutch courage from my bus-stop beer-swilling.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to engage in mythbusting for us unenlightened folk. If I may ask a final question, are you the one with the glasses or the beret?

thank you for your service in busting dublin bus myths.
    you come across as a professional victim, when told how to avoid these terrible transgressions imposed on you, you can’t be bothered.
    you appear to suffer injustices at the hand of dublin bus every day, woe betide you.
    i see two other have joined you in your pity party.

what can be learned from your posts? you have a problem, you where told how to fix it, you can’t be bothered,
    this is what drivers put up with on a regular basis, people entrenched in their hate for dublin bus and don’t won’t to do anything to improve their situation, they would rather be miserable.
    now you are getting offended for other passengers on the bus, here is a suggestion, look after your self first and don’t get offended for others. you will have a happier commute.

Mahogany wrote: »
    lol :D

care to give any examples of being ripped off, or are they just in your imagination?

Dear s8080

Do you have any idea why stops in Dublin are so close together? I have never been in a city where they are so close, in some cases less than 150m. Would drivers prefer if stops were spaced further apart?

As passenger I would prefer if there were less of them. I would have slightly longer to walk at the start of my journey but there would be less jolting and I would get there faster as there would be less stops.

Is this something that drivers have strong views on?

everyone knows there are too many stops, drivers and passengers agree on this.
    but try take away a stop and watch people come out of the wood work to complain.
    look at the X services, always full, people want to get in and out of city centre as fast as possible with minimum stops.
    if 20% of stops where removed it would result in a faster service, it will never happen.

when was the last time anyone here had a inspector check tickets on the bus they where on?

inspectors are like aliens, many claim to have seen them, but when asked for proof they cannot provide it.
    its supposed to change in the new year, we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

s8080 wrote: »
    care to give any examples of being ripped off, or are they just in your imagination?

2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

2.60 to the next town over from me which is 6km away, absolute joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

Sorry, but the joke is on you if you are willing to pay high cash fares when using a Leap card will be so much cheaper (€2.05).

Sorry, but the joke is on you if you are willing to pay high cash fares when using a Leap card will be so much cheaper (€2.05).

Irrelevant whether I have one or not as it's still a rip off for the fairweather traveler, nearly costs that much in petrol for a motor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The cash fares are being artificially increased to encourage people to switch to LEAP.

You can save money using LEAP, and with the €1 rebate on any second or subsequent trip taken within 90 minutes of the first, anyone still using cash needs their head examined.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The cash fares are being artificially increased to encourage people to switch to LEAP.

You can save money using LEAP, and with the €1 rebate on any second or subsequent trip taken within 90 minutes of the first, anyone still using cash needs their head examined.

I don't care what you can do with leap there'll all cover ups on the fact that it's ridiculously expensive to use public transport in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sadly,it perhaps explains just why Ireland went bust,and it was'nt ALL down to Banksters..

It is difficult to explain rationally,why anybody would ignore an opportunity to secure a €2.80 journey for €2.05,and it becomes even more so when one realizes that that €2.05 represents a REDUCTION of 10c on the current €2.15 Leapcard fare for that journey...:confused:

That 10c represents a significant reduction on a very widely used fare,and will benefit a shed-load of customers,however this,along with the reductions in Expresso and Outer Suburban Fare bands recieves very limited coverage,perhaps because it's difficult to give out about such reductions and,even worse,short-circuits the victim role-playing which has come to typify so much of modern Ireland's thinking ?

A €6.90 Daily Adult Bus Cap along with €5.00 Student and €2.50 Child Caps represent wholly reasonable,and generally available Fare levels comparable with most other European Cities.

Nobody is suggesting that anything near perfection exists,but Dublin's Bus Service is nowhere near the basket case which some appear to need in order to feed a need to be permanently hard-done-by.

Thankfully,after decades of fragmented and disinterested regulation,Dublin is at last beginning to drag itself forward in Public Transport terms...The challenge is whether we want to go with it,or to remain sitting in the dirt throwing stones at those travelling in it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's 1.50 from Milan Linate Airport to the Duomo, Google maps ses it's 8.5 km
    The same fellas say it's 9.2 km from Dublin Airport to O'Connell st.

It's probably a bit dearer in Dublin though

Even though there was off bus ticketing, there were delays boarding, as the bus was jammed full by the time it got to the edge of the city centre, as all boarding had to validate tickets on one validator at the front door....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Irrelevant whether I have one or not as it's still a rip off for the fairweather traveler, nearly costs that much in petrol for a motor!

I try to use the bus as little as possible, but probably still manage once a week. Buying a leap card and setting up auto direct debit took me a little bit of time but is still well worth it for even the very occasional user.

There is a reasonable point here that for very short journeys DB is more expensive than petrol. Not for long journeys obviously.

For our household (including kids fares) it is cheaper to drive and pay parking in the city centre for 2 hours than to get the bus in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

well here is a little bit of info that you would not know.
    new timetables and some route changes are coming for routes 11,14,45a,145.
    Drivers on the routes have been informed of the changes that are due to be implemented in January. The changes in the routes will result in the ceasing the 145 route to Kilmacanogue in Ballywaltrim, however the 45a which currently stops in Ballywaltrim will be extended to Kilmacanogue.
    http://johnbradysf.blogspot.ie/2014/11/concern-expressed-with-planned-changes.html

Here are the changes to the 45a and 145. Which have been pencilled in for well over a year now. Should increase the reliability of the 145.

What about the 11 and the 14?

this is too easy.
    dublin bus do NOT set the fares.
    the NTA set the fares.

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price have a €3-€4 starbucks in their hand, a €300 pair of Beats around their neck and a €800 iPhone 6 in their hand which they then use to call friends to arrange to go to temple bar to pay €5-€6 a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price have a €3-€4 starbucks in their hand, a €300 pair of Beats around their neck and a €800 iPhone 6 in their hand which they then use to call friends to arrange to go to temple bar to pay €5-€6 a drink.
    How do they manage to pay the fare with a coffee in one hand and an iphone in the other. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price

Probably use the bus regularly and have no choice. Starbucks is optional and most people wouldn't buy a phone more than every 12-18 months.

• Advertisement

this is too easy.
    dublin bus do NOT set the fares.
    the NTA set the fares.

Sorry but that's definitely the minority, neither me or my mates have an 800 quid phone or beats.

Main reason for my outbursts is because I'm a student and obviously because I'm a student I have f*ck all money on me haha!

Sorry but that's definitely the minority, neither me or my mates have an 800 quid phone or beats.

Main reason for my outbursts is because I'm a student and obviously because I'm a student I have f*ck all money on me haha!

Crikey man...you're a student and paying cash busfares ?....are you crazy or wha ?.....If your tween 16 & 19 you could (:eek:SHOULD:eek:) be paying 70c for most of your journeys,and no more than €1.15 for the remainder and a €2.50 per DAY cap....are you waiting for somebody to pay YOU to get on the bus ?

Even if you're a more "mature" student,then the €5 per day Student Leapcard Cap comes to your fiscal rescue....lookit man,IF you're deliberately avoiding the cheaper/est travel fare options then it's little wonder you have "f*ck all" money left...get with the programme...use the money saved from Child/Student Leapcard options to fund the iPhone/Beats/Starbucks and avoid hardsihp becoming your middle name !!! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How do they manage to pay the fare with a coffee in one hand and an iphone in the other. :confused:

if you have to ask this question you either
    A- never been on a dublin bus
    B-blind
    C-simple
    D-**** stirrer

That is silly, what age are you ? Under 19 you dont have to pay more than €8.20 a week, 19 and over you are limited to €20 a week, that's less than €3 a day for unlimited bus use.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Has there been changes to driver rosters over the past week or two? 76 used to be reliable enough in the mornings since August/September, but for last two weeks there's been buses turning up 10-15 mins late, or a scheduled bus not arriving at all and then two arriving together (this morning).

Very frustrating spending so much money per week on such a flaky service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Same with the 67.

as you can see no new timetable

Buses from/to
    From Chapelizod Towards Tallaght (The Square)
    Operative Date: 15/04/2012
    Version: TT 2.1

Buses from/to
    From Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    Operative Date: 29/06/2014
    Version: TT 4.1

winter weather, more cars on road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you have to ask this question you either
    A- never been on a dublin bus
    B-blind
    C-simple
    D-**** stirrer

you sound like a bundle of fun

as you can see no new timetable

Buses from/to
    From Chapelizod Towards Tallaght (The Square)
    Operative Date: 15/04/2012
    Version: TT 2.1

Buses from/to
    From Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    Operative Date: 29/06/2014
    Version: TT 4.1

winter weather, more cars on road.

Newlands Cross project in wrapping-up phase...usually when the carefully laid plans tend to unwravel just a bit.....;)

cdebru wrote: »
    That is silly, what age are you ? Under 19 you dont have to pay more than €8.20 a week, 19 and over you are limited to €20 a week, that's less than €3 a day for unlimited bus use.

Can't get a student leap as I'm repeating my leaving therefore not technically a student.

Live out in the sticks aswell, no such thing as the city centre fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

If buses are equipped with GPS and a computer which knows what route its on why must the driver press a button to update the ticket machine as to what stage its at ? Seems simple hooking up to me to have the GPS step the stages along.

trellheim wrote: »
    If buses are equipped with GPS and a computer which knows what route its on why must the driver press a button to update the ticket machine as to what stage its at ? Seems simple hooking up to me to have the GPS step the stages along.

They have yet to link the two up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It will be happening in early 2015. There was no point linking the GPS system with the current ticketing equipment when new ticket machines are due to be installed in the near future.

So new ticket machines are arriving early 15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭Tow

Stevek101 wrote: »
    So new ticket machines are arriving early 15?

To replace the 'new' 386 based ticket machines introduced to handle the Leap cards?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Can't get a student leap as I'm repeating my leaving therefore not technically a student.

Well I presume you are technically attending a school ? So perhaps you might have googled student leap card and seen how to apply rather than aimlessly moaning that you pay too much.

If you are under 19 you are entitled to a child leapcard, google it download the form, bring your pics and ID to the places listed, DB head office is open Saturdays so no need to take time off. You don't even have to be attending school you just need to be under 19.

If you are over 19 and in full time education (including secondary school) you download the form bring it to your school they fill in their part stamp it and you send it off.

And lastly never mentioned the city centre fare so irrelevant.

Tow wrote: »
    To replace the 'new' 386 based ticket machines introduced to handle the Leap cards?

At this juncture,there are No New Ticket Machines budgeted for in 2015.

There is currently an ongoing programme of software upgrade's to the existing TGX 150,with,it has to be said,less than heartening results.

The TGX 150 machine is over a decade old,and whilst more than capable of it's original task,has been overwhelmed since the commencement of Leapcard support.

The 386EX issue is but one of the restrictions on it's performance,as is a 1Mbyte memory limit,however as Wayfarer continue to support TGX 150 and 250,nobody appears willing to fund c.900 new machines.

This sounds odd Mahogany,without being too specific,what type of Educational Estab;lishment are you studying in ?

As pointed out by another poster,if you are under 19,you qualify for Registered Child Leapcard.

www.childleapcard.ie

This sounds odd Mahogany,without being too specific,what type of Educational Estab;lishment are you studying in ?

As pointed out by another poster,if you are under 19,you qualify for Registered Child Leapcard.

www.childleapcard.ie

I'm 21 and in a VTOS scheme.

• Advertisement

I'm 21 and in a VTOS scheme.

What element of the VTOS scheme makes you ineligible for a Student Travel Card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Well this has gone horifically off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

with any software update they need to change it that it auto-detects a leap card, and changes the fare options automatically, rather than the current setup which afaik involves the driver switching repeatedly between cash and leap manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

with any software update they need to change it that it auto-detects a leap card, and changes the fare options automatically, rather than the current setup which afaik involves the driver switching repeatedly between cash and leap manually.

machine does change itself just takes so long.

There are too many fares. Machines need to be updated. Increase memory.

Card is put on then it has to read card/load and then display leap fare.

People who have loaded ramblers and use them the old ones stay on card and this slows it all even more as these are read and then on to next rambler and so on till it finds one with days on it.

Arcto wrote: »
    Well this has gone horifically off topic.

could be be the posters who bitch about dublin bus have had their eyes opened and have had a road to damascus moment?
    has it dawned on them their gripes are beyond the control of dublin bus and some might even be of their own making.

the number of anti dublin bus posts has plummeted, it has deprived drivers of a few laughs in the canteen, but thats a price worth paying to end the ignorance of some posters.

as i have stated before ask your questions, and i will answer.
    not many questions asked, is it because you already know the answers and they dont back up the anti dublin bus stance of some people?

It'd be nice to know the planned changes to the 14. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

Who is correct above ; when will new GPS_enabled machines be on the buses . Alek's comments seem to contradict the others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

could be be the posters who bitch about dublin bus have had their eyes opened and have had a road to damascus moment?
    No

More likely that the company itself may talk constructively to the passengers.

If the lads in the canteen are feeling left out, let them read these

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40dublinbusnews&src=typd

Stevek101 wrote: »
    It'd be nice to know the planned changes to the 14. :pac:

Increased running time at certain times of the day.

Mornings northbound and afternoons southbound in particular.

Some trips are having to go empty to Donnycarney Church from Beaumont in the morning to get back on time, while some northbound trips in the afternoon/evening are having to miss Ballinteer or go into set down only mode to get back on schedule.

Same problem (poor running time) with the 11.

Who is correct above ; when will new GPS_enabled machines be on the buses . Alek's comments seem to contradict the others ?

To clarify: The Automatic Stage Updating will commence Q1 2015 (Feb ?).
    This is on the existing Wayfarer TGX 150 platform,which is compatible with GPS anyway.

The issue of NEW machines is,as yet,in abeyance,pending the securing of specific funding .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the number of anti dublin bus posts has plummeted

when did that happen:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement