Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On a €10 fill of Petrol how much extra is it ok to put in?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In fairness Id be pretty annoyed if I got handed back 17.98 change from €100 when buying €80 petrol. More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done; its not like 1-2c worth of petrol means much to the customer, and chances are if the customer is not paying attention they will go over by 10-20c rather than 1-2c.

Any more than a couple of cent I understand; but if its literally 1c or 2c over (especially when its a large amount like €80) then its extremely petty of the garage not to let it slide. It would certainly annoy me into taking my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Seriously most petrol comes from the same place, same tankers etc. Some garages just discount it as a loss leader.

And some do water it down with copious amounts of additives. You'd be very naive to think that some stations don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

djimi wrote: »
    More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done

That doesn't hold any water with me.
    I have never filled up and seen the machine jump a couple of cent unexpectedly. Doing the weekly checks on the pumps at my work also didnt throw up any problems, we had three different generations of pump.

Although I think it could happen under certain circumstances I think so much of that kind of thing is just people not easing the flow towards the end of their fill up well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

biko wrote: »
    If you let 10 customers a day get away with 3 cents it's just 30 cents a day but over time it accumulates.

Except if you didn't ask for it it would be about 100+ times in your 8 hours shift, and as your till would be short you would be responsible for it in a lot of the big conpany run garages

So your till operator is having to pay anything from 3-8 euro a shift to cover it x 5 shifts a week !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Another riveting debate on the Boards.ie Motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I like riveting

YORE MA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

djimi wrote: »
    In fairness Id be pretty annoyed if I got handed back 17.98 change from €100 when buying €80 petrol. More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done; its not like 1-2c worth of petrol means much to the customer, and chances are if the customer is not paying attention they will go over by 10-20c rather than 1-2c.

Any more than a couple of cent I understand; but if its literally 1c or 2c over (especially when its a large amount like €80) then its extremely petty of the garage not to let it slide. It would certainly annoy me into taking my business elsewhere.

Would you 'let it slide' if you got left €10 short on you pay cheque?
    Would it annoy you enough to take you labour elsewhere?

Just want to check that this is going to work both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's pretty unbelievable this is still going. Really after 1 cent I wouldn't care being asked. Wouldn't really care for 1 cent either as long as they asked instead of giving back €9.99.

If it's laser you obviously pay the amount on the till. They're not going to discount you a cent from a laser transaction. It's pretty amazing the attitude of people to some things these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why do people think it's OK to steal? Me, I pay for what I take - I hold the pump until it goes "click", and whatever amount shows is what I pay.

Advertisement