Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Yes it is. :D
    Sorry for being thick but will a Meteor SIM be in it automatically when I get in post if I order online?

If I just put my own non meteor SIM in first when I buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sorry for being thick but will a Meteor SIM be in it automatically when I get in post if I order online?

Nope, as far as I'm aware Meteor phones only come with a sim if you specify so and even then it won't be preinstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Nope, as far as I'm aware Meteor phones only come with a sim if you specify so and even then it won't be preinstalled.
    If thats the case then a non SL ROM could be flashed fairly easily I'd have imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Be careful when buying your Moto G and they insist you get a Meteor SIM with your purchase.

I had one Meteor store refuse to sell me a Moto G unless I got a Meteor SIM with it. Went into another Meteor store and they sold it to me without SIM.

I can confirm what the guys have been saying - the phone locks to the first SIM you insert into it. I've done this several times with different networks each time.

TempAc wrote: »
    If thats the case then a non SL ROM could be flashed fairly easily I'd have imagined.
    You've lost me there...... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Can anyone confirm are all the Moto G 2nd Gen 5" versions dual sim or is it just the ones for sale on amazon?
    Also tesco direct have it at 150gbp, not sure if thats simfree though, anyone aware of any cheaper prices

brimal wrote: »
    Be careful when buying your Moto G and they insist you get a Meteor SIM with your purchase.

I had one Meteor store refuse to sell me a Moto G unless I got a Meteor SIM with it. Went into another Meteor store and they sold it to me without SIM.

I can confirm what the guys have been saying - the phone locks to the first SIM you insert into it. I've done this several times with different networks each time.
    Tnx for that, will try saying it's for a gift if I go into an actual shop.

It's not for sale on their online store, wonder are they out of stock in shops also?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hi ya

5500 I can confirm that the moto 2nd Gen 5" is dual sim and not locked to any network from tesco mobile .
    bought one last week very impressed very fast reponse and display is excellent .I have it running with 2 sims one a tesco sim and the other a meteor sim .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

You've lost me there...... :confused:
    To lock the phones they put a ROM with "SL" in the name, subsequently the first sim you put in it will lock to the networ, SL = SIMLOCK. You can however overwrite the software with a Retail variant, doing this should prevent the phone from locking to any network I'd imagine, though I'm open to correction.

It's a bit technical though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Hi ya wrote: »
    5500 I can confirm that the moto 2nd Gen 5" is dual sim and not locked to any network from tesco mobile .
    bought one last week very impressed very fast reponse and display is excellent .I have it running with 2 sims one a tesco sim and the other a meteor sim .

Did you buy from Tesco here or Tesco in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Hi ya

I bought it here in tesco clearwater they have a mobile phone section .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

Any reputable sellers to get unlock cide from on ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any easy way to get the Tesco rom off it and onto stock?

RossieMan wrote: »

Thanks ill get one tomorrow i made a balls of cuttin my sim card to fit the phone so gotta get one sorted asap

I got one of the 4G ones in Meteor shop yesterday. I haven't opened it yet but want to order a cover on Amazon.

Is it just a Moto G cover I'm looking for or are there different ones for all the different variants of the model?

RossieMan wrote: »

Still waitin on my code from this guy bought one last week off him?????:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

I got one of the 4G ones in Meteor shop yesterday. I haven't opened it yet but want to order a cover on Amazon.

Is it just a Moto G cover I'm looking for or are there different ones for all the different variants of the model?

All MOTO G's have the same cover

Only just got back from Germany so haven't been active on here but on the back of my Moto G 4G box and on the front it mentions 2 included blue shells but they weren't in the box.

Has this happened to many others?

Looks like the original seal was cut but then another placed over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

782378 wrote: »
    All MOTO G's have the same cover

This is true for the 1st Generation 4.5 inch phones- both the 3G and 4G versions.

However the new 2nd Gen 5-inch version will require a different cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Just making sure, if I buy the phone from Tesco, I can unlock the phone and use it with my O2 sim card? I'm a bit of a noob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i bought this phone a few months ago from tesco, the sound quality is very poor when making or receiving a call a lot of crackling noise but when i make a call on viber the sound is perfect, other than that it's not a bad phone but if you plan to make a lot of calls id keep clear of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

gustafo wrote: »
    i bought this phone a few months ago from tesco, the sound quality is very poor when making or receiving a call a lot of crackling noise but when i make a call on viber the sound is perfect, other than that it's not a bad phone but if you plan to make a lot of calls id keep clear of it.

You should have returned it then.
    There's no point taring all Moto Gs because you had a bad experience with one.

Shane15 wrote: »
    Just making sure, if I buy the phone from Tesco, I can unlock the phone and use it with my O2 sim card? I'm a bit of a noob.

Yup, I bought a code (<€2) off eBay and it worked fine for my Moto G 4G.

SickBoy wrote: »
    You should have returned it then.
    There's no point taring all Moto Gs because you had a bad experience with one.

i'm not the 1st to complain of the same problems, there are pages of complaints on forums with people having the same problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

i'm not the 1st to complain of the same problems, there are pages of complaints on forums with people having the same problems

Did you attempt to return it though?

SickBoy wrote: »
    Did you attempt to return it though?

No not sure how to go about it as i bought it from tesco uk through parcel motel so don't know what way it will be returned back to me, also it has been unlocked so not sure of the warranty now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

You need to contact them using the phone number on the website. They will send you a collection pack, so give the them your PM address. Don't mention that you are in southern Ireland. You can either use the PM service to return it, or post it up north of you live near the boarder.

T-Bird wrote: »
    You need to contact them using the phone number on the website. They will send you a collection pack, so give the them your PM address. Don't mention that you are in southern Ireland. You can either use the PM service to return it, or post it up north of you live near the boarder.

by doing it this way there will be at least 3 charges from parcel motel, surely motorola have some sort european repair centre that also caters for southern ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dizzymg

How is everyone finding these phones now? Im thinking of getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Hi has anyone updated an unlocked tesco moto g to lollipop yet? I keep checking settings-system updates but doesnt come up. Just wondering as anyone got it yet through any method? Does update depend on network phone is currently on? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi has anyone updated an unlocked tesco moto g to lollipop yet? I keep checking settings-system updates but doesnt come up. Just wondering as anyone got it yet through any method? Does update depend on network phone is currently on? Thanks

The update is not out yet, only for the Google edition of the phone. You can convert your phone to google edition, but TBH you're better off waiting for the official update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

loyatemu wrote: »
    The update is not out yet, only for the Google edition of the phone. You can convert your phone to google edition, but TBH you're better off waiting for the official update.

Grand thanks..yea i rooted an htc before and it wouldnt accept original rom when i tried to revert back, swore id never do it again. Ill wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 4G version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

The 4g version is going to be £99 on tesco direct this Monday. Would prefer to buy from amazon but it's nearly £40 dearer there! Seriously tempted.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-white-black-99-tesco-direct-instore-starts-monday-2132223

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

noodler wrote: »
    Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 4G version?
    Over the second gen model? If you want a bigger screen, better camera, or 4G isn't useful to you.

the £99 deal is a serious bargain. €2 for an unlock code.
    <€135 all in with parcel motel is as good as you'll get.

Tesco direct are awful to deal with if you've a problem though, has to be posted back from the North so something to take into account.

Does Tesco Direct one lock to the first network SIM that's put in (as Meteor store ones did)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Does Tesco Direct one lock to the first network SIM that's put in (as Meteor store ones did)?

No it needs to be unlocked but its only €2 to do so on e bay

NATLOR wrote: »
    No it needs to be unlocked but its only €2 to do so on e bay

you got a link who is the best on ebay to get this unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Anyone put Cyanogenmod 12 on this? Sick of waiting for Android L OTA at this stage.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Anyone put Cyanogenmod 12 on this? Sick of waiting for Android L OTA at this stage.

CM12 is very much work in progress and only partially working.

CM12 is very much work in progress and only partially working.

The XDA thread says buggy GPS is the only problem? I think a lot of the issues which had been present have been ironed out, no?

The XDA thread says buggy GPS is the only problem? I think a lot of the issues which had been present have been ironed out, no?

Just looked at it now and your correct. I looked at it last week and saw they're were quite a few bugs. Chose to install CM11 instead.

I was happy with the stock version, but it had an annoying problem in cutting off calls...

Calls work perfect now.

Hmm but CM12 looks tempting now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

you got a link who is the best on ebay to get this unlocked?

There a lot of sellers to choose from, the guy i used isn't listed anymore but
    this seller has good feedback and over 35000 sales so a safe bet to use them

Just looked at it now and your correct. I looked at it last week and saw they're were quite a few bugs. Chose to install CM11 instead.

I was happy with the stock version, but it had an annoying problem in cutting off calls...

Calls work perfect now.

Hmm but CM12 looks tempting now.....

Do you know if unlocking the boot loader voids the warranty? That's the only reason I've been reluctant up to now. There's a lot of conflicting information online, a lot of people saying that EU law says modifying software doesn't impact warranty, etc. Not sure what the story with my warranty would be anyway since it was bought from Tesco UK :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Based on previous experience does anyone expect Amazon to drop the price a bit on Monday as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

macjohn wrote: »
    Based on previous experience does anyone expect Amazon to drop the price a bit on Monday as well?

Yea, I'm hoping the same. No idea what the odds are though. I would imagine the 5" version should be due for a price drop too.

Amazon have never price matched tesco as far as I'm aware.

Do you know if unlocking the boot loader voids the warranty? That's the only reason I've been reluctant up to now. There's a lot of conflicting information online, a lot of people saying that EU law says modifying software doesn't impact warranty, etc. Not sure what the story with my warranty would be anyway since it was bought from Tesco UK :pac:

Not entirely certain, but think so.

I had problem with colour leaking last year and had to send out back to tesco direct.

I just reinstalled stock and relocked before I sent it back (twice).

It's quiet a process unlocking, modoco has a good guide. Once unlocked, there's a great big warning sign at every boot. But that can be switched off with the aio software on xda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement