Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book of Kells and the people in Meath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Seanchai wrote: »
    Just drop dead, and take your rants against Irish culture with you. Thank you.

3 words is a rant against Irish culture?

Damn, those things are getting shorter and shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

3 words is a rant against Irish culture

Did you, for a moment, think of doing a quick check on that poster's posting history before responding with this silly assumption? Not very clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If Meath get this then North Tipperary, home of the GAA is looking for a new stadium, shouldn't be in Dublin
    Just send the two hundred million to Michael Lowry and he'll sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Its in latin, send it back to latinland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did you, for a moment, think of doing a quick check on that poster's posting history before responding with this silly assumption? Not very clever.

Bit creepy that isn't it?

• Advertisement

Bit creepy that isn't it?

Indeed, it's definitely creepy familiarising yourself with the posts of the person to whom you're responding. :rolleyes: Like, poster attacks somebody who is clearly pro-Irish and you're really saying his anti-Irish posting history is not relevant to that attack?

Each to their own, I suppose.

No, surprisingly enough I didn't bother.

Yeah. Definitely creepy.

Did you, for a moment, think of doing a quick check on that poster's posting history before responding with this silly assumption? Fairly normal.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Indeed, it's definitely creepy familiarising yourself with the posts of the person to whom you're responding. :rolleyes: Like, poster attacks somebody who is clearly pro-Irish and you're really saying his anti-Irish posting history is not relevant to that attack?

Each to their own, I suppose.

Haha, I'd like to know how you think I'm "anti-Irish". I'm not anti any nationality and definitely not my own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't you both share the middle ground in respect of posting history?:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Seanchai you know we're allowed shoot one catholic from the roof of the camponile a year too...I say we because I went there so must be one of those English colonial class you're speaking off...Should probably tell my parents here's me thinkin we were lower middle class catholics from cavan...thanks for correcting me

Any way back on topic...I read in like the Meath chronical or somewhere not too long ago that Meath didn't even argue when Trinity trade marked The Book of Kells so I cant see the people of Kells gettin much support...and in fairness to Trinity the amount of security and safety procedures they have for not only that book but all of their other ones is ridiculous and I'd imagine the money Kells would need to get the same is gonna be stupidly high

Also its **** and such a bloody let down...I got to go see it for free since ya know i'm one of those colonial people :P

It should stay in Trinity.

It's a book. People only visit it because they're already in Dublin, in Trinity, and it's something to see. I find it really hard to believe that anyone bar a very niche market of historical-book-loving-people would actually travel to Kells to see it.

As for the money being put into the Kells economy, I think that it's slightly foolish to aid the economy of Kells to the great disadvantage of the national economy, especially since ultimately the Kells economy will suffer in the same fashion as the rest of the country. By leaving it in Trinity it will make more money for the national economy than it would in Kells (more people will see it), it will aid the finances of Trinity (hence aiding education) and it will save us the millions it would cost to house it in Kells.

As a student in TCD, I get in free to see the book, and I can bring a free guest with me, and I'm a 2 minute walk away every day of the college year. And guess what - I've never bothered to go. Neither have most people I know. I seriously doubt people would spend the time and money to travel to Kells just to see it.

bradyle wrote: »
    Seanchai you know we're allowed shoot one catholic from the roof of the camponile a year too

Yes, I have heard something about Trinity "scholars" having a right to kill Irish Catholics. I thought it was a myth but perhaps somebody here would enlighten us?
    ...I say we because I went there so must be one of those English colonial class you're speaking off

The class about whom I'm speaking, surely? ;)
    ...Should probably tell my parents here's me thinkin we were lower middle class catholics from cavan...thanks for correcting me

Ah, "lower middle class", "Cavan" and TCD all in one sentence. An Irish discussion forum doesn't get more aspirations than that. :p

TCD is for Irish people with serious aspirations to be "up there" with the nouveau riche shopkeepers English but who fail to get accepted into Oxford University. Moreover, they haven't the linguistic intelligence or worldview to be accepted into the Sorbonne in Paris or EUI in Florence, never mind the general intelligence to be accepted into Harvard or Georgetown.

But, hey, why bother with serious educational alternatives to the Anglocentric world when the Anglocentric educational institutions have all the notions, but far less of the significance that they had in the days of Empire. America is where it's at, not Oxford and certainly not the poor man's Oxford that is Trinity College Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Sure St Patrick was from Wales. Does that mean we have to dig him up and give him back?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

I'm impressed how a thread on a squabble over shinies managed to get politicized so quickly. Kudos.

Yes, I have heard something about Trinity "scholars" having a right to kill Irish Catholics. I thought it was a myth but perhaps somebody here would enlighten us?

I think you'll find that it's a criminal offence.

But there are plenty of rumours about that type of thing, none of which have been substantiated to the best of my knowledge. Loads of them like a scholar demanding a sherry before exams, but then denied entry because he wasn't wearing his sword etc. etc. etc. More than likely all ****e.
    TCD is for Irish people with serious aspirations to be "up there" with the nouveau riche shopkeepers English but who fail to get accepted into Oxford University. Moreover, they haven't the linguistic intelligence or worldview to be accepted into the Sorbonne in Paris or EUI in Florence, never mind the general intelligence to be accepted into Harvard or Georgetown.

But, hey, why bother with serious educational alternatives to the Anglocentric world when the Anglocentric educational institutions have all the notions, but far less of the significance that they had in the days of Empire. America is where it's at, not Oxford and certainly not the poor man's Oxford that is Trinity College Dublin.

Ah so that's your game! Keep on trolling good sir.

/Doffs cap.

My take on this? Leave it in Trinity for no reason other than they have the structures in place to protect it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The people of "Kells" - are these the same people who voted not so long ago to change the name of their town from the meaningful Irish, Ceanannas Mór, into the meaningless English "Kells"?

:confused:

Well they wanted it to be the same name as the book...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My vote? Leave it in Trinity.

Have you ever seen the state of Kells? It's a badly designed, badly looked after hole. And then they'd want a ****ing fortune to house the damn thing, and whinge and cry until they got it, pissed it away, and we're left with a sheet of polythene and some 6 foot lengths of timber shielding one of our artificats from the elements.

Shure, look at the hill of Tara. Seat of the High Kings of Ireland, and didn't those Meath wans let them put a motorway bang in the middle of it? And now they want to claw back some "culture?"

Bah.

Meath wans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Dónal wrote: »
    My take on this? Leave it in Trinity for no reason other than they have the structures in place to protect it at the moment.

The library building in Trinity is a perfect setting for it.

I agree though that the national library could use the boost in visitors. The National Museum could also use the extra prestige.

A little OT but isnt the whole catholic/protestant TCD/UCD thing dissipating over time? Its not still like that is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ah, "lower middle class", "Cavan" and TCD all in one sentence. An Irish discussion forum doesn't get more aspirations than that. :p

I can smell jealousy, even on the internet.:p

I was joking don't worry...although you are allowed tie your boats to the gates of the college which is cool

Sorry about my poor grammar there guess it just wasn't what was focused on in my engineering degree from the poor man's oxford :P

Or you know its for a person that wanted to do engineering in her own country because she was 16 when she chose and didnt wanna go too far away; but wasn't sure what type she wanted to go for. So decided to go for a course than had undenominated period of time. Because of the sh1te transport links from cavan dublin was the best option which left ucd and trinity. Trinity had undenominated for two where as ucd only had it for one so I decided to go for the one that gave me the most time to decide.

Pretty sure my choice had nothing got to do with being "up there"

Oh and sorry what college did you go to i'm sure you definitely had the worldwide knowledge to go somewhere amazing...

From that: 'Trinity said: "The preservation, safety and security of the manuscript are paramount in relation to requests for loan received by Trinity College.'

Is this the same TCD which sent the Book of Kells around the world some years ago only for it to come back damaged?

Book of Kells damaged on Australia trip

Or is this neglect on the part of TCD allowed to be mentioned? It seems TCD making a fortune from the Book of Kells is the decisive factor in everything to do with the Book of Kells. The National Library of Ireland, an institution owned by the Irish people, should have control over it for all the obvious reasons.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can smell jealousy, even on the internet.:p

Oh, you'd be very wrong there. In psychology terms, what you're doing is "projecting", projecting your own insecurities upon somebody else. I'm merely wholly unimpressed with the English and their notions of superiority over others. The nation of shopkeepers and merchants of Europe lecturing the rest of us on culture - it's not coincidental that England has no classical music or artistic tradition to speak of. While civilised European countries invested in such things, the British invested in military technology to conquer the world. Uncouth peasants, in other words - by any standards.

In fairness their policy has been in place since the book came back damaged...they learnt their lesson spent a lot of money restoring it and want to insure it wont get damaged again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Can we make this the comedy post of the day? The funny bit is that he's serious.
    The people of "Kells" - are these the same people who voted not so long ago to change the name of their town from the meaningful Irish, Ceanannas Mór, into the meaningless English "Kells"? These are people whose town leaders are so anglicised they spell their first names Bryan instead of Brían. That's how much the shower of lugs and troglodytes who constitute the people of Kells detest Irish culture. And they want to be entrusted with taking care of a major representation of Irish culture like the Book of Kells? God save Ireland if they get a hold of it.

The day I read about their objections to an Irish name being on an Irish town is the day that changed my fascination with the heritage of Colmcille in Ceanannas Mór into contempt for the bogmen and bogwomen who pass as the inhabitants of the wannabe English town of "Kells". They changed the town's name into English, claiming that to succeed in trade they needed an English name on their town. Hello? How oh how do the overwhelming majority of towns across Europe succeed without English names? What a thick, cultureless shower of wannabe English money-chasing knackers are the people of Kells, Co. Meath. Let the real English of "the English college lately established near Dublin" (aka Trinity College Dublin) keep it. Despite the ban today, in 2011, on having a Gaelic Games pitch in the TCD campus in Dublin city centre and the abundance of cricket, rugby and other British sports on the same "Irish" university campus, TCD deserve to make millions per year out of the Book of Kells because, well, you see, their side won the wars which dispossessed us, the native Irish. Their university also has an opt-out on ethnic/colonial/religious grounds from the same rules as every other university in Ireland under the Universities Act of 1997. But let's keep the myth going the TCD is, and more importantly wants to be, as Irish an institution as the rest of them. It isn't, and it most explicitly doesn't want to be.

TCD has the book of Kells, and makes millions from it per annum, precisely because they are the university of the English colonial governing class in Ireland. They will keep it on, ironies of ironies, the grounds that to take it back from them and give it to the people of Ireland, would be discrimination against a (colonial) minority in Ireland. Pass the bucket.

The Irish state-owned National Library of Ireland, and not the anti-Gaelic Games university of the English colonial community in Ireland that is Trinity College Dublin, should hold the Book of Kells. It's a no-brainer.

Dammit, someone say 'West Brit'.

It's all I need to complete my Internet Republican bingo card.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The library building in Trinity is a perfect setting for it.

I agree though that the national library could use the boost in visitors. The National Museum could also use the extra prestige.

A little OT but isnt the whole catholic/protestant TCD/UCD thing dissipating over time? Its not still like that is it?

Whatever about the rather chimerical "divide" between Roman Catholics and British Protestants, TCD most certainly does have British (i.e. English) cultural aspirations. The decision by its governing authority to opt-out of the Universities Act 1997 and to be the sole Irish university outside the authority of the Irish state confirms this. TCD's insistence that it receive the same state subsidies as other Irish universities speaks to the "have our cake, and eat it" mentality among the governors of TCD. The Irish state backed down, for fear of risking allegations of "mistreating" a (British colonial) community in Ireland.

Dammit, someone say 'West Brit'.

It's all I need to complete my Internet Republican bingo card.

Seanchai thinks I'm a west brit because I go to Trinity...

Can I get a share of your prize if you win :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Seanchai thinks I'm a west brit because I go to Trinity...
    I wonder which side of the shoeless-bogger-drunken-Paddy/West Brit false dichotomy our learned friend puts himself on?

Advertisement