Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book of Kells and the people in Meath

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

They want the book of Kells.

Trinity have told them politely to **** off out of it. What do you think? I think Trinity are right. Get yizzer hands off our bewks.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0830/kells.html

A campaign has got under way in Kells to secure the return of one of the four volumes of the famous Book of Kells.

Campaigners say that the Co Meath town is the rightful home for at least some of the book.

However, Trinity College in Dublin where it is currently housed has already rejected the town's request.

Written by monks around 800 AD, the book disappeared when Oliver Cromwell's army arrived in Kells in 1654. It was given to Trinity six years later and has been there since.

Now for the sake of tourism and the community, the people of the town want some of the book back and have signed a petition.

The Book of Kells is a huge attraction and money earner for Trinity College where it is preserved and displayed.

Trinity said: "The preservation, safety and security of the manuscript are paramount in relation to requests for loan received by Trinity College.

"Over the years, it has received requests from highly reputable cultural institutions both nationally and internationally for its loan.

"Since the year 2000, it has been the policy of the Board of Trinity College on the grounds of security, environmental and preservation concerns to decline such requests.

"The College regrets the disappointment that this decision may cause, however the preservation of this unique and fragile manuscript must, however, take priority over all other considerations."

Campaigners say that Trinity does not own the Book of Kells and that it belongs to the people of Ireland.

They acknowledge a new centre would have to be built to house one of the volumes, but they believe the money would be forthcoming from the Government.

Should Trinity give the people of Meath the Book of Kells? 141 votes

No - they'd only ruin it
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - it's theirs.
    100% 141 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Do they have books in county meath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

orourkeda wrote: »

Just the novelization of Fatal Deviation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

What do you think? I think Trinity are right. Get yizzer hands off our bewks.

If the book of Kells is from Kells and not TCD so it's not their or your book.

So therefore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

It's about time it was renamed 'The Book of Dublin'.
    Let's get that campaign going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Shur why wouldnt ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

orourkeda wrote: »

Don't make me go all grammar nazi on your ass! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What claim have trinity got on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Normal people and tourists are going to get to see it in Kells. Park the car outside the door of the heritage museum and stroll in for a peek vs waiting half an hour for a bus to take them to Dublin city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Do they have somewhere in Kells to home the book? Or will it be a case of them then going cap in hand to the government wanting 25 million for an interpretative center in Kells.

Im all for the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

squod wrote: »
    Normal people and tourists are going to get to see it in Kells. Park the car outside the door of the heritage museum and stroll in for a peek vs waiting half an hour for a bus to take them to Dublin city centre.

But most normal people and tourists will be in Dublin at some point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Why not return it to Iona where it originally comes from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    What claim have trinity got on it?

Finders keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

I'm voting that they'll ruin it. Look at the market cross in Kells. They can't even mind that and it's made of stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

I've lived in Kells all my life and when I was young I thought we should have it. Now I don't care. As has been aluded to there is just no place suitable for it here. I imagine it would go into the heritage centre but that place certainly wouldn't have the security measures for such a priceless artifact.

It should stay in Trinity, it's safe there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

There's 4 volumes and Kells only wants one. Sounds reasonable to me.

It's shìte anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

I'm from Meath and I vote Atari Jaguar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Doesnt the "Church of Ireland" in Kells have a presentable copy on display?

And isnt that the site of the old Abby? by the round tower?

I remember going up that tower when I was a kid in the 60's (i think!), it was rare that they'd open it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Give them the book and their independence.

No they shouldn't give the book back its fine were it is I suppose it does have a high tourist value.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The film was better, let them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Well they need something to do and it's a long, dark winter ahead without television or broadband!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

They acknowledge a new centre would have to be built to house one of the volumes, but they believe the money would be forthcoming from the Government.

Ah back on your horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Its just a "Meath people can read" boast. Call their bluff and give them the book (Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone.)

Yeah but that hasn't any pictures so give them a Beano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

The people of "Kells" - are these the same people who voted not so long ago to change the name of their town from the meaningful Irish, Ceanannas Mór, into the meaningless English "Kells"? These are people whose town leaders are so anglicised they spell their first names Bryan instead of Brían. That's how much the shower of lugs and troglodytes who constitute the people of Kells detest Irish culture. And they want to be entrusted with taking care of a major representation of Irish culture like the Book of Kells? God save Ireland if they get a hold of it.

The day I read about their objections to an Irish name being on an Irish town is the day that changed my fascination with the heritage of Colmcille in Ceanannas Mór into contempt for the bogmen and bogwomen who pass as the inhabitants of the wannabe English town of "Kells". They changed the town's name into English, claiming that to succeed in trade they needed an English name on their town. Hello? How oh how do the overwhelming majority of towns across Europe succeed without English names? What a thick, cultureless shower of wannabe English money-chasing knackers are the people of Kells, Co. Meath. Let the real English of "the English college lately established near Dublin" (aka Trinity College Dublin) keep it. Despite the ban today, in 2011, on having a Gaelic Games pitch in the TCD campus in Dublin city centre and the abundance of cricket, rugby and other British sports on the same "Irish" university campus, TCD deserve to make millions per year out of the Book of Kells because, well, you see, their side won the wars which dispossessed us, the native Irish. Their university also has an opt-out on ethnic/colonial/religious grounds from the same rules as every other university in Ireland under the Universities Act of 1997. But let's keep the myth going the TCD is, and more importantly wants to be, as Irish an institution as the rest of them. It isn't, and it most explicitly doesn't want to be.

TCD has the book of Kells, and makes millions from it per annum, precisely because they are the university of the English colonial governing class in Ireland. They will keep it on, ironies of ironies, the grounds that to take it back from them and give it to the people of Ireland, would be discrimination against a (colonial) minority in Ireland. Pass the bucket.

The Irish state-owned National Library of Ireland, and not the anti-Gaelic Games university of the English colonial community in Ireland that is Trinity College Dublin, should hold the Book of Kells. It's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Give it back to Meath and re name it the book of Nobber. Nobber? I've only bleeding met her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Seanchai wrote: »
    blah blah blah

Just fock off.

I never suspected that my brother who is in Trinity is of the colonial class. I always suspected it though.

teol wrote: »
    Just fock off.

Just drop dead, and take your rants against Irish culture with you. Thank you.

4leto wrote: »
    I never suspected that my brother who is in Trinity is of the colonial class. I always suspected it though.

You never suspected it, but you always suspected it? :confused:

• Advertisement

Seanchai wrote: »
    You never suspected it, but you always suspected it? :confused:

:D
    Exactly, cloak and dagger stuff those colonial classes.

Advertisement