Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netflix , comming soon to a linux near you

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Try installing the add-on Media Hint to Firefox or Chrome/Chromium.

Seems to work OK for Netflix, Pandora and Hulu .... at least for the present.

Have you got Netflix working on Linux? I get the system requirements page when trying to play a movie, as it wont load silverlight (using firefox)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

human 19 wrote: »
    Have you got Netflix working on Linux? I get the system requirements page when trying to play a movie, as it wont load silverlight (using firefox)

No I don't ..... only Hulu ... never signed up for Netflix .... so I guess it is Win only for Netflix due to Silverlight? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Install Netflix on linux through a PPA

Just tried this. WORKED PERFECTLY! It's admittedly a little sluggish with playback but not overly annoying. Give it a go and see what ya think.

Can't believe something so complicated is no working so well. Not to mention so easy to install. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

shizz wrote: »
    Install Netflix on linux through a PPA

Just tried this. WORKED PERFECTLY! It's admittedly a little sluggish with playback but not overly annoying. Give it a go and see what ya think.

Can't believe something so complicated is no working so well. Not to mention so easy to install. :D

Works well for me too on 24" screen.
    Another step forward for Linux and 1 less reason to use Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Great news. Works perfectly on Linux Mint 17. No addons required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ditto, working perfectly on Gentoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Fukcing finally. It's a bit embarrassing for Netflix that I have been able to use their product on a 3DS of all things for literally years before they bothered their arses sorting out a native client for one of the most popular desktop operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Fukcing finally. It's a bit embarrassing for Netflix that I have been able to use their product on a 3DS of all things for literally years before they bothered their arses sorting out a native client for one of the most popular desktop operating systems.

I too wonder what the reason behind the delay was. I mean, lots of the small consumer devices running Netflix are running Linux underneath. Politics somewhere delayed it, I feel.
    ....for one of the most popular desktop operating systems

Sadly this isn't true. Linux on the desktop is in the single figure percentile. I think we've missed the boat too as Chromebooks look set to leapfrog Linux!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

azzeretti wrote: »
    ... Linux on the desktop is in the single figure percentile...

So is OSX.

• Advertisement

Chromebooks look set to leapfrog Linux!
    chromebooks are linux. You can hide it under loads of pretty pictures that run on top. But well, it linux

bpb101 wrote: »
    chromebooks are linux. You can hide it under loads of pretty pictures that run on top. But well, it linux

Yep, although heavily modified. What I was thinking was the average Joe won't ever knew that link. To them it'll be ChromeOS, not linux. Like most Android users don't know the connection either. With that in mind I feel linux might have missed the boat on the desktop, which is a pity. But the desktop is dead now, I suppose!

niallb wrote: »
    So is OSX.

Indeed. I wasn't trying to be snide. It's was more a lamentation!

But the desktop is dead now, I suppose!
    desktops will always still be king. Try writing that 100 page report on your ipad and you'll know all about it
    (not that ive ever typed more than a few pages, if that)

bpb101 wrote: »
    desktops will always still be king.

Do you think so? I think they're always be a place for the desktop, certainly in the corporate env but consumers just aren't buying desktops anymore, the figures are way down. Personally, I will never be without - don't have a tablet, never will. I barley spin up the laptop if I can get away with it.

Anyhoo, I digress a little from the original topic. Lets see how long it takes to get Photoshop (native, not some crappy cloudy VM) or even the Rift working, could be just as long as Netflix!

Do you think so? I think they're always be a place for the desktop, certainly in the corporate env but consumers just aren't buying desktops anymore, the figures are way down. Personally, I will never be without - don't have a tablet, never will. I barley spin up the laptop if I can get away with it.
    Completely agree with never being without a desktop . I have a laptop for college and i never use it at home.

Anyhoo, I digress a little from the original topic. Lets see how long it takes to get Photoshop (native, not some crappy cloudy VM) or even the Rift working, could be just as long as Netflix!
    adobe have effectually given up on linux completely

Advertisement