Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Grim. wrote: »
    well it cant be anymore boring than the rest of the season

Seriously does not compute, especially after the season of 2011. It almost turned me off the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    Still won't be a 6 time winner, will he?

You think Kimi will retire this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    You think Kimi will retire this year :P

What difference does that make? He still has to win this year.

Lads there is no king of Spa

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

All Hail Albert

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What difference does that make? He still has to win this year.

Do you think Schuie will beat him or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously does not compute, especially after the season of 2011. It almost turned me off the sport

you set your standards to low then :D

Edit: not disagreeing about the 2011 snooze fest, but in terms of racing this year aint been much better. the championship is great but i'd rather have racing on track than a procession which is what we nearly always get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Edit: not disagreeing about the 2011 snooze fest, but in terms of racing this year aint been much better. the championship is great but i'd rather have racing on track than a procession which is what we nearly always get.

Whilst majority of the F1 world thinks there is too much action to follow the race in real time...

The only thing I hate about this season is 50eur per month if wanted to watch in HD.
    Tyres were annoying first 5-6 races but OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

not disagreeing about the 2011 snooze fest, but in terms of racing this year aint been much better. the championship is great but i'd rather have racing on track than a procession which is what we nearly always get.

Tell us, when was the last season that the action on track was better than it is now?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Do you think Schuie will beat him or something :D

A Kimi win is far from certain, his chances are high though.

Stranger things have happened at Spa.

Actually, my standards were set by the 08, 09 & 10 seasons. All, heart grippingly exciting championship battles which were on a knife edge to the very end, or at least near it.

Last season was over by now, & the second half of it was a mere formality with an almost guaranteed winner. Most of the races were decided on Saturday, & nobody could touch the Red Bulls so there was no excitement or suspense in any of it. Unless your a Vettel fan? Which would explain why your not enjoying this season actually...

This year, different winners, massively competitive driving, the cars are competitive, there's no clear dominant force, every race is up for the taking, the whole championship is up for the taking.

Bring it on. F1 is back.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tyres are too much of an factor now if you ask me, people taking it easy for fear of wrecking them.

Give me that over this anyday

images.jpg

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,16204593,00.html

Schumacher made an honorary citizen of Spa, brilliant.

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,16204593,00.html

Schumacher made an honorary citizen of Spa, brilliant.

Ok now he's the King Of Spa :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Lotus rule out racing double DRS at Monza.
    Lotus has ruled out bringing its double DRS to the Italian Grand Prix, after being forced to abandon its race debut in Belgium because of poor weather in practice.

The Enstone-based outfit had hoped to be able to race the device at Spa, but the wash out on Friday meant that the outfit could not get it set up to work for the race.

Plus, there was too big a risk of problems in the grand prix if it took a gamble on keeping it on the car.

The fact that Monza is such a low drag circuit from a car setup point of view means that there is limited benefit to using it there.
    Full article on Autosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jordan 191 wrote: »

FFS... every other team will have it by the time they get it working! :D

Daniel S wrote: »

Lol. Mercedes are planning a Lotus style DRS system too. McLaren are looking at adopting a similar system also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

So without meaning to cause a "was his fault,not his fault" argument (I swear :) ), Pastor Maldonado received 5 penalties last season with Williams. This season Pastor has already surpassed last year's tally having 8 races remaining with a total of 6 penalties, 9 if you count gearbox changes but not driver error so we'll leave them out. He's collided with Perez, Hamilton, Di Resta, Glock, had a jump start and blocked Hulkenburg in qualy. If you're head of Williams, would you be giving him a seat next year, even if he was paying for his seat?

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Daniel S wrote: »

Monza requires so different aero package anyway that new-DRS wouldn't gain enough top speed (if any) to be worth the hassle.

They should had it in SPA.

• Advertisement

So without meaning to cause a "was his fault,not his fault" argument (I swear :) ), Pastor Maldonado received 5 penalties last season with Williams. This season Pastor has already surpassed last year's tally having 8 races remaining with a total of 6 penalties, 9 if you count gearbox changes but not driver error so we'll leave them out. He's collided with Perez, Hamilton, Di Resta, Glock, had a jump start and blocked Hulkenburg in qualy. If you're head of Williams, would you be giving him a seat next year, even if he was paying for his seat?

Personally I think its only a matter of time before he either seriously injures himself or someone else during a race. He's reckless beyond belief at times.

It's just so hard question man :D

Maldonado seems to have full back up of his country/oil companies.. money, money.. :(

I would give him challenge:
    8 races to go, collect whatever points in 5 of them then you'll have a seat for 2013.

Sigh it looks like enclosed cockpits will be coming in. Well I think its a terrible idea

Link? I had kind of been expecting to hear this news sooner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

It appears that they'll be leaning more towards a roll cage type device rather than a canopy.

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    It appears that they'll be leaning more towards a roll cage type device rather than a canopy.

This sort of craic?

jr_dragster.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive no problem with the roll cage style. Canopy would be silly, and very much remove the whole "uniqueness" of F1. A roll cage, or mounted bars to stop some beheading is perfectly acceptable!

Long time coming really. It would be interesting to hear what the drivers would make of the rollcage mounted right in front of their field of vision. Not sure if it would be much help in a side impact like what happened on Sunday to Alonso or what happened Massa at Hungary when something small can fit through it. Agreed it will take away the uniqueness of F1, but I think I'd be in favour of a cockpit style canopy. The future of open wheel racing could be coming to an end, shame.

The idea of the canopy and front roll cage came about due to freak accidents.

When you look at what happened to Massa, he was hit in the head when a spring came flying off the suspension of Barrichello's Brawn.

Now imo, the chance of something like that happening again is very very slim.

The concept of the front roll cage or canopy being introduced was bubbling under the surface and now is being talked about again due to what happened on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

A roll cage or bars wouldnt have stopped Massa from nearly getting impaled.
    The thing is, the tests they did with a canopy showed that, for it to efficiently protect the driver it would need to be 3cm thick, leading to visual distortion for the driver.

• Advertisement

As apposed to titanium bars directly infront of them?

Advertisement